CarFax

5.3

In 1986, CARFAX started with the desire to be the authoritative source of information regarding the history of used cars for buyers and sellers. 29 years later, CARFAX has achieved its vision in North America. Millions of people every year visit CARFAX to discover the history of their cars. Over 91,000 sources of data including motor vehicle agencies, police and fire departments, auctions, car rental agencies and collision repair shops sends CARFAX information about used vehicles.

#1 CarGurus Logo CarGurus ›

7.5

Overall
Score

#2 Autotrader Logo Autotrader ›

7.4

Overall
Score

#3 Cars.com Logo Cars.com ›

6.7

Overall
Score

#10 CarFax Logo CarFax

5.3

Overall
Score

The Good

• Lemon Check reports
  • Great filter options
  • Mobile device app

Vehicle history reports can be obtained on used cars and trucks from 1981 or later, using the VIN number located on the vehicle in question. The VIN number is a 17-digit number is typically found on the side of the driver's door below the steering wheel. CARFAX helps car buyers from buying cars with their Lemon Check reports. If a CARFAX report does not include a branded title issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, then CARFAX may buy back the car for the full price it was purchased for. CARFAX vehicle report fees range from one report for $40 for 60 days to $55 for unlimited reports by U.S. license plate.

You can search for your next car on CarFax.com and filter your results through a number of factors. You can choose to find a car that has only had one owner or one with no previous accidents. Search cars with service records or lease only. Narrow down the results until you get the exact car that fits your needs. Searches are done by your local area with an up to 500 mile radius.

You can also use the myCARFAX app on your mobile device to keep you on track with the maintenance tasks involved with your current car. Use your car's VIN number on the app and pull up service records, schedules for maintenance, and information on recalls. CARFAX will even alert you when your car is due to be serviced.

The Bad

• Advertising complaints
  • Sales issues

The majority of these complaints appear to be with advertising and sales issues and problems with CARFAX's products and services.

The Bottom Line

CARFAX is the place to go when you want to find out your car's past. When you want to find out what repairs have been done or if your car has been in an accident, CARFAX will tell you in a few simple clicks. The vehicle reports offered by CARFAX are extremely detailed. With CARFAX's mobile app, you can keep your current car properly maintained as well. Know what you are getting into with your next vehicle purchase with CarFax.com's products and services today.

November 13th, 2017 Orem, UT

CarFax is a great resource when you are looking for a new car! I will forever use this site! It's well organized and well updated.

September 2nd, 2017 Paragould, AR

The Carfax said my Jeep had been in no accidents. Turns out the whole rear end has been replaced with salvage parts along with several parts under the hood and no telling what that i don't know about. The Carfax said if i could prove that it was wrong the dealer could be forced to buy it back. Wrong again. Basically, Carfax can say whatever they want and you are just stuck with it. Like I'm stuck with a 25 thousand dollar wrecked jeep.

September 17th, 2016 New Baltimore, MI

Reports are not accurate at all! beware!

March 23rd, 2016 Provo, UT

I purchased a vehicle in 2011 and the CarFax was clear, no accidents, so I went ahead with the purchase.I am now ready to sell the vehicle, but when I pulled a new CarFax report, I was shocked to find an accident that was reported on my car. The accident in question happened nearly a year prior to when I bought the car, but didn't start reporting on CarFax until a month after I purchased it. I've contacted the dealer and CarFax (which is BS that they only have email contact, no phone number) and they basically told me to go pound sand. They refuse to do anything or acknowledge it was a mistake on their part. We would never have bought the car if we knew it was involved in an accident, and we shouldn't have paid as much for it as we did because of the accident. It also pulls down our resell value. I think they should extend the BuyBack Guarantee to this situation to remedy their mistake. Heck, we'd be happy if they took the car for the current market value. But they think they've done nothing wrong.