- Great features
- Car profiles
- Great search function
Autotrader.com features a comprehensive menu of features to help you select the right new or used car for your unique needs and style. There are hundreds of informative and up-to-date articles and reviews on a wide array of vehicles to choose from.
Autotrader.com offers a diverse collection of features and benefits including:
- Over 3 million vehicles in inventory from local and nationwide dealers and sellers
- Buying and selling tips
- Research and comparison tools with photos, videos, and reviews
- Discounts and specials
- Financing tools such as a Monthly Payment Calculator and Affordability Calculator
- Warranty programs
- Free car insurance quotes through Geico.com
- Safety and vehicle history reports.
Trade-in offers are available by filling out a short questionnaire. Instant cash offer is generated immediately and sent to the requester's email and is valid for up to 72 hours. After a local dealer does an inspection on the vehicle, the instant cash offer can then be redeemed by cash or check or towards the purchase of another vehicle.
Placing an ad to sell a vehicle ranges from $25-$100. If you would like to receive expert help, VIP services are available from $159 to $289. These VIP packages include benefits such as pricing advice, privacy shields, solicitor blocking and call screening, title transfer document services, and much more.
When car shoppers visit the AutoTrader.com website, the first option they get on the Home page is a " Find Cars for Sale" tool to research and compare new, certified and used cars by selecting their desired body type, mileage, price and numerous other criteria. (Be sure to select a price (and a price that is more than 4 figures) to get search results. Otherwise, no results will pull up).
Once on the results page, the site allows visitors to narrow down their search with more specific car specifications like mileage, minimum to maximum price range and minimum to maximum year range. Each car or vehicle has a range of clear professional-quality pictures showcasing the car's front, rear, side, interior and exterior.
Each car profile allows visitors to get a vehicle history by clicking the CARFAX icon positioned below the car photo. Just as useful are the car details provided upon clicking on the car profile. Some of the details include:
- Exterior color/ interior color
- Gasoline Mileage for City and Highway
- Cylinder Type
- Transmission type
- Drive type (i.e. two wheel drive)
- Current mileage (i.e. 40,000 miles) for used cars
If the car is being sold by a car dealership, this page also provides the dealer's address and has an email sheet to email them directly.
The "Find Your Car Your Way" page is really thorough, with additional specifications to choose from, including:
- Convenience/Comfort (3rd row seats, backup camera, power locks, etc)
- Entertainment/Technology (CD Player, Hands-free Blue Tooth, DVD player, Navigation, etc)
- Luxury (Heated Seats, sunroof, leather seats, etc)
- Miscellaneous (Disability-equipped, Trailer Hitch, etc)
- Type of Seller (Dealers only, Private Sellers only, Trade-in Marketplace Dealers)
These specifications narrow the car search down significantly, filtering out what could become an overwhelming list of car listings to comb through. This means that the more the buyer knows about what they want, the better the search tool will work for them. It also prepares buyers before engaging dealers. They have all the information they need-from car history to CD player-to increase the chances they will get what they want for the price they want.
While we're on the subject of being prepared, AutoTrader has a toolbox of tools and resources to better equip consumers to purchase a new, used or trade in their car. Many of these tools are pretty standard in the auto website niche, but it always counts as a plus when they have several on the same site because it makes the car research and buying process so much more convenient.
Consumers on AutoTrader.com can find how much they would have to pay on an auto loan with the auto loan calculator. (AutoTrader also offers car loans, so the two go conveniently hand in hand). If you are trading in a car, the calculator shows you how much the traded car's value will impact loan payments. The calculator tool also allows consumers to find out what their car is worth to get an instant cash offer from AutoTrader's Trade-In Marketplace.
AutoTrader's Trade-In Marketplace allows car owners to trade their car in with what seems like 3 easy steps:
- Step One: Tell AutoTrader about the car to be traded in and get a cash offer backed by AutoTrader.
- Step Two: Visit a participating Trade-In Dealer and get a final offer.(Cash offer is based on the dealer's own car inspection report)
- Step Three: Trade in Car or redeem final offer for cash.
This is compatible for the average car owner who has little working knowledge of cars or how to trade one in. Another likable aspect is that you're not locked into a deal or a price until the very end (i.e. Step three). There are other things to consider, but that will be discussed in the next section.