Toyota Motor Corporation was founded in 1937 in Japan and has grown to be one of the largest automakers in the world.

With a wide variety of vehicle options, including sub-compacts, minivans, sedans, pickup truck, crossovers, and SUVs, the company maintains its emphasis on building reliable cars. Many of these are built in the US, with 10 of the company’s 14 manufacturing and production plants located in the country.

With roughly 1,500 Toyota dealerships in the US, 2.4 million cars and trucks were sold last year. The automaker’s best-selling model is the Corolla, which has been made since 1996 and has sold over 40 million units worldwide.

The Good

• Reliability
  • Variety and Hybrid Options
  • Affordable
  • Safety Features

Reliability

Toyota has a reputation for dependability and ranks among the top third of auto companies in the latest JD Power dependability study. On top of that, according to the company, about “85 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold in the last fifteen years are still on the road today.” That is a huge percentage on top of the impressive reliability score.

With this reputation for reliability, the company has been included in Fortune’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies four years in a row as the top-ranked motor vehicle company.

Variety and Hybrid Options

Toyota makes sedans like the company’s best-selling model, the Corolla. A customer can also buy a pickup truck, SUV, or crossover.

With Toyota, there are also plenty of fuel-efficient models you can choose from, including a full-size hybrid Highlander SUV or a RAV 4 hybrid crossover.

As the world’s largest manufacturer of hybrids, the company's flagship model, the Prius was introduced in 1997 and is the world’s best-selling hybrid. Additionally, the Toyota Mirai is the world’s best-selling hydrogen fuel cell car.

Affordable

Toyota vehicles are competitively priced. With Toyota, you can buy the following brand new models for under $25,000:

• Tacoma
  • Prius
  • Rav4
  • Yaris iA
  • Corolla
  • Corolla iM

Safety Features

This Japanese automaker puts an emphasis on driving safety. Every year, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rates vehicle safety. Since 2014, the company has received an overall rating of five stars for over ten of their new models tested.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Thousands of Toyota vehicles have been affected by issues with Takata airbags. The Takata recall is the biggest auto recall in history, affecting many car makers, not just Toyota.

The Bottom Line

With Toyota, consumers can find a variety of options based on their values and needs. There are lots of affordable choices, as well as sustainable ones.

No matter which Toyota vehicle you choose, it is sure to have an industry-average warranty, plus above-average safety and dependability ratings.

When people think of Toyota, the phrase “dream car” may not come to mind; however, owners will tell you that with this brand, you get a great deal with long-term quality in mind.

It is no wonder that Toyota is a popular car brand with millions of sales and an admired reputation in the auto industry.

View Best Car Brands

Angelica Dela Cruz

November 13th, 2019 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have a Toyota Rav4 and it very nice. Toyota cars are always extremely reliable and last very long.

Kathryn Robinson

November 13th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We own a Toyota Camry and love the car. We've had zero problems with the car in the 4 years we have owned it. We bought it used, so the car is actually 7 years old. Toyota is a brand you can trust.

Michelle Schow

November 11th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyotas are so reliable. We have driven this brand for years and will never go with another brand.

Brittany Wilkinson

November 11th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently borrowed my moms Highlander. I loved driving this car. It was a smooth ride. It's comfortable, roomy and drives well. I love Toyota. They made great cars.

Melanie

November 11th, 2019 Rio Rancho, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought a Toyota Sienna brand new with 61 miles on it in January of 2005. I have driven it to 299,182 miles on it, with the only problem I’ve had to fix being maintenance and a leaking rear main seal. I am super impressed and excited to roll over that 300k mark!

Brenda Mertes

November 11th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Currently driving a Toyota Avalon. I love the modern interior and how comfortable and spacious it is. It is also an old Avalon (2004) and we are just not having to do some repairs. It has ran a long time and very smoothly.

Sara S

November 8th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family has had many different types of Toyota's- from the vans, sedans and suvs. They all are fantastic in the sense that they have not had any major issues with the engine or transmission like Honda's do. This is probably because the product that they put out is made pretty cheaply so they last a long time. Their customer service is not as good as the luxury brands of course but is ok.

Tony

November 7th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have owned a Corolla and never had a single issue with it. Not the most inexpensive car, but definitely one of the most reliable.

Alex Shirley

November 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a toyata FJ crusier and love it. It is a great car and very reliable. The only thing that is does not stay up to date on its in car electronics.

Eric Smith

November 6th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My first car was a Camry and I never had any issues with it. I loved all of the options and the smooth ride.

AK

November 6th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've had our Toyota Sienna for over 7 years, no issues or problems outside of regular maintenance. They seemed to have thought of everything you might want in a minivan. My favorites features: sliding automatic doors, captain's chairs in middle row, back row is easy to fold down or up depending on what your hauling (people or things). The only negative we've found is that it seems to wear through tires more quickly than our sedan.

Megan A McEvoy

November 5th, 2019 Tallahassee, FL

My family has owned two Toyota Camrys in my life and they have both been reliable. In our first one, which was purchased in 2004, we were able to take numerous road trips to Canada and back without any issues. We got another one in 2015 which had many new amenities, such as the touch screen console for the radio. The car has amazing gas mileage and the dealership is always helpful when service is being done.

Tom M

November 4th, 2019 Holmdel, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm a big fan of Toyota and my local dealer. I was so impressed with the first Camry we had we bought another. I get all my servicing from DHC Freehold Toyota. They are very professional and consumer centric. I can get in there in and out fast. They take the time to fully explain any work that needs to be done. I will consider Toyota the nest time I ready to buy another car.

Adriana Diaz

October 30th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have tried other car brands before but nothing felt right , when I bought my first toyota I felt absolutely in love with it. thank you for keeping my family safe in a car we love !

Ro

October 17th, 2019 Dalton, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Dependable . Great ride. All of our vehicles are toyotas for the last 14 years!

Rischelle Mikkelson

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have loved our Toyota Camery. We use it as our family car that all the kids drive. We feel it is a very safe and reliable car. It gets good gas mileage and is well made.

Alyssa Boren

October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Toyota Sequoia, the only thing that I don't like is that the side mirrors are to high up, block my view, and give me another blind spot to worry about. Other than that, I feel safe whenever I am driving it.

Greg

October 14th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have owned several Toyota’s throughout the years and it is such a reliable car. Few breakdowns and that was only with old cars. Service is great

Cooper

October 14th, 2019 Midway, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great salesman and amazing car. You can never go wrong with their service. Super honest sales team in Murray

Linda Clark

October 10th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good cars but they seem to be much more expensive than competitors like Nissan and Hyundai.

JF

October 10th, 2019 Rancho Palos Verdes, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

20 years, 120k miles and with reasonable expense it runs as well as when I bought it

Ed Clark

October 10th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have purchased every car from this company. They service all of our vehicles and do an excellent job.

Cameron Clark

October 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always had great cars from Toyota. Very reliable and great service at the Toyota dealerships.

Amy Boren

October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family swears by Toyotas!! We have always own one and they work great. They drive well and they last forever. A very trustworthy brand!

Mr. & Mrs. L Forst

October 9th, 2019 Redondo Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota is the only make of car we will consider buying. They are very reliable.

Adam Moesel

October 9th, 2019 Provo, UT

Well respected brand for its long-lasting cars and fuel efficiency. Look good while you’re cruising around town.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used to love the Toyota trucks I drove. Even though the gas mileage wasnt great, Toyota's are reliable and efficient. Rarely had issues and came for a great deal.

Derek Scoville

October 8th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

for over 20 years, I have only driven Toyota. The quality of the car, the warranty, and the overall trustworthiness of their vehicles is what has kept me as a customer. Their cars are just high quality and last for a long time!

Nanci Gardiner

October 8th, 2019 Goleta, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had 6 Toyotas the past 15-20 years, and now will only buy Toyota brand cars and trucks. We have had such a great track record with Toyota vehicles. We never have break-downs, and the maintenance has been minimal. My current Camry is a 2007 and just hit 200,000 miles and is still going strong. My husband keeps telling me I need a new car, but I love my Camry! (Unless he wants to get me a NEW Camry!) ;-) We are huge Toyota fans!

Mike Smith

October 7th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Hard to beat the build quality of the Toyota brand. they are somewhat spartan in the trim out of the interiors but a real quality reliable brand.

Suzanne Mingus

October 7th, 2019 Columbia, MO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have owned several Toyota vehicles and are happy with their longevity. We just sold our 2000 Toyota Camry that at 19 years old still ran great!

Stephen

October 7th, 2019 South Jordan, UT

I have had a 4 runner for many years. It now has over 200k miles on it and is still going strong.

bailey jo

October 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Toyota Corolla lasted for what seemed like forever with very few needed repairs. It was a great car for college and was good on my budget as well.

Karen Jorgensen

October 4th, 2019 Washington, UT

We have owned a Sienna for 8 years now and we love it. It's a very safe and reliable car, I love the option of the 8th seat that can fold up and it has a cubby in the cargo area off to the side (it doesn't take up any cargo room) so if I need it, its there. If not, I can tuck it away. I love the space and room of the cargo and inside of the van. I love the smooth ride, the reliability and how much wear and tear it can sustain. My van is a 2011 and is still going strong.

Monica Bertha

October 4th, 2019 Encinitas, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Toyota! My brother got a used Toyota in 2007 as his first car and now it is my car and it runs perfectly and looks new! They are such high quality cars

Jon Scoresby

October 4th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had two Camrys and they have both been great cars. I'm glad I made this choice. They lasted a long time and had very little mechanical trouble with both.

Ellen Morris

October 4th, 2019 Potomac, MD

I love Toyota!!! Their cars are well engineered and manufactured and have always been incredibly reliable to me. I also love that I can buy a nicer model if I want to!

Cassandra

October 3rd, 2019 Sunnyvale, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family has always had Toyotas. They are reliable and never let you down! I LOVE TOYOTA!

Sherry Arnold

October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought my dad's Toyota Solara and have really enjoyed it. Toyota is a great brand and we expect to get a lot of mileage from this car.

Jaime

October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We currently have a Toyota Tacoma but we have driven many other Toyota cars over the years (Tercel, Corolla). They run so well. Will definitely buy more Toyotas in the future!

Barry Henline

October 2nd, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I highly recommend the Toyota company. I love their vehicle's dependability, the way they hold their value and the durability of the drive train and body

Steve Olson

October 2nd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Toyota!!! I drive a 2004 4Runner and it’s great because it’s reliable, has room for everything I need and it rips in the snow!

Joy Hill

October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had a toyota of one sort for the last 20+ years. They are the most dependable cars in my mind and I plan on sticking with them!

Ted Johnson

September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a Toyota Highlander and it is a Hybrid. It has been a great car that does well in our harsh winter months and gets great gas mileage. I haven't had to pay a ton on maintenance and it has lasted a very long time.

Rachael

September 30th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve had a few Toyota’s and they are by far my favorite car! I currently drive an Avalon with many miles on it and it still runs perfectly! Such reliable cars.

Garrett Mingus

September 30th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I drove an old Toyota Camry in high school and it was a great high school car. It's almost 20 years old and it's still running strong!

Darrin Henry

September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my toyota 4 runner and ease of maintenance and service Toyota offers. It has been my favorite vehicle so far.

Randy Scoville

September 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've owned two corollas, a Sienna and just bought a Rav 4. even though the price of a Toyota is usually higher than the competition, the value of the vehicles is unmatched. They just last forever, and are high quality. I will be a lifetime consumer of Toyota.

Campbell Blair

August 29th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Prius and it's been working great. It has over 300,000 miles and works still. It still gets from point A to B and works.

Mazi Marcel Womack

July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Toyota is one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. Great car and great customer service.