Toyota Motor Corporation was founded in 1937 in Japan and has grown to be one of the largest automakers in the world.

With a wide variety of vehicle options, including sub-compacts, minivans, sedans, pickup truck, crossovers, and SUVs, the company maintains its emphasis on building reliable cars. Many of these are built in the US, with 10 of the company’s 14 manufacturing and production plants located in the country.

With roughly 1,500 Toyota dealerships in the US, 2.4 million cars and trucks were sold last year. The automaker’s best-selling model is the Corolla, which has been made since 1996 and has sold over 40 million units worldwide.

The Good

• Reliability
  • Variety and Hybrid Options
  • Affordable
  • Safety Features

Reliability

Toyota has a reputation for dependability and ranks among the top third of auto companies in the latest JD Power dependability study. On top of that, according to the company, about “85 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold in the last fifteen years are still on the road today.” That is a huge percentage on top of the impressive reliability score.

With this reputation for reliability, the company has been included in Fortune’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies four years in a row as the top-ranked motor vehicle company.

Variety and Hybrid Options

Toyota makes sedans like the company’s best-selling model, the Corolla. A customer can also buy a pickup truck, SUV, or crossover.

With Toyota, there are also plenty of fuel-efficient models you can choose from, including a full-size hybrid Highlander SUV or a RAV 4 hybrid crossover.

As the world’s largest manufacturer of hybrids, the company's flagship model, the Prius was introduced in 1997 and is the world’s best-selling hybrid. Additionally, the Toyota Mirai is the world’s best-selling hydrogen fuel cell car.

Affordable

Toyota vehicles are competitively priced. With Toyota, you can buy the following brand new models for under $25,000:

• Tacoma
  • Prius
  • Rav4
  • Yaris iA
  • Corolla
  • Corolla iM

Safety Features

This Japanese automaker puts an emphasis on driving safety. Every year, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rates vehicle safety. Since 2014, the company has received an overall rating of five stars for over ten of their new models tested.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Thousands of Toyota vehicles have been affected by issues with Takata airbags. The Takata recall is the biggest auto recall in history, affecting many car makers, not just Toyota.

The Bottom Line

With Toyota, consumers can find a variety of options based on their values and needs. There are lots of affordable choices, as well as sustainable ones.

No matter which Toyota vehicle you choose, it is sure to have an industry-average warranty, plus above-average safety and dependability ratings.

When people think of Toyota, the phrase “dream car” may not come to mind; however, owners will tell you that with this brand, you get a great deal with long-term quality in mind.

It is no wonder that Toyota is a popular car brand with millions of sales and an admired reputation in the auto industry.

View Best Car Brands

Laurie Massie

January 14th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our family is DEFINITELY a Toyota family! We’ve bought 4 Toyotas to date, and are looking to purchase a 5th! Thanks for being so consistently reliable!!

Rebecca Harvey

January 13th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have an 04’ Toyota Highlander that is still running strong. Toyota makes exceptionally amazing vehicles!

Katie

January 13th, 2020 Valdosta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We loved our Toyota 4runner. We have had several good experiences through Toyota dealerships. Although we don't currently own a Toyota vehicle at the moment, we do plan to get another 4runner in the future.

Debbie Fish

January 13th, 2020 Biloxi, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was a total Toyota only gal for years. Unfortunately finances made me go elsewhere, but not my choice. One day I’ll get back to Toyota!

Anita

January 13th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought our Camry three years ago, and we love it. This car is reliable and safe. It's the perfect size for in town and highway driving.

Stephanie Byrd

January 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

I absolutely love Toyota. Riding in a Toyota has always provided smooth cruising. Another Perk to driving a Toyota is it's gas efficiency. Toyota provides not only smooth cruising but long term rides as well.

Robyn

January 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

REALLY COMPATIBLE VEHICLES! THEY ARE VERY CONVENIENT WHEN IT COMES TO GAS AND IS A VERY RELIABLE CAR.

Guerothlyn Saint-Jean

January 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Trustworthy car dealer and always bee in my family for years and always a go-to.

Frantzlida

January 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Toyota Camry car. It’s easy to drive and the parts are easily accessible anywhere.

Kiara Guerrier

January 8th, 2020 Lake Worth, FL

The car can be great. I have experience with it because my parents own this type of car but the older it gets the more problems it can present.

Tochica Baptiste

January 8th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I drive a Toyota 2018 Rav 4 I love love love it! I love going to get it serviced even more. They provide excellent service and thoroughly explain what needs to be done to your car and why.

Kelsey Rosier

January 8th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

Definitely one of the most reliable cars. Had one for almost 10 years and it still ran perfectly fine with no issues. 10/10 would recommend.

Star Stewart

January 6th, 2020 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family has been using Toyota products forever. I drive a 2014 Toyota Camry and my mom drives a 2019 Toyota Camry. Both cars drive really well. They are very long-lasting. Their styles are very unique as well. Whenever we go to Toyota to fix the cars in any way the customer service is always great.

Naomi

January 6th, 2020 Hollywood, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Driving a Toyota is the best thing that anyone could drive. I currently drive a Toyota Yaris, and all my family members drive it to Yoda and they last very long very great on gas and I’ll continue to drive Toyota for the rest of my life great company.

Kayla

January 6th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They make great cars and many great models. However too many parts have been recalled.

Claudina Moreau

January 6th, 2020 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Although it is an American car and not necessarily foreign, they will lasts you as long as you need to.

Geneve Pierre

January 3rd, 2020 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very efficient car brand . These cars run for a very long time and have parts that are easy to change when broken.

Jennifer schwaner

December 31st, 2019 Holtsville, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great cars and dealership. Service dept was great and clean. People very friendly. No drama!

Jacob

December 31st, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota's can be pretty good cars. We loved our Toyota truck especially when it snowed during the winter months. Reliable and fairly priced.

Vanessa Hansen

December 30th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought a brand new 2004 Toyota Corolla at the end of 2003. That amazing car is still with us today! It’s driven across the states coast to coast several times, has been through three car seats, graduate school and a first year driver. It has over 270k miles on it right now and it just barely had its first issue. We replaced the clutch and will need new struts. But it’s still fantastic! That’s a long time to have a. At that is so safe reliable and still running great. Not a single issue til now! Love it.

Randi

December 30th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve had a Camry, 4Runner, and a Tundra....loved them all. Each has had over 100k miles when I’ve sold them and they’ve never had any problems whatsoever. I’m a lifetime Toyota fan.

Amanda

December 23rd, 2019 Montebello, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had two different Toyota and enjoyed driving both of them. They are well made and reliable cars to have.

Angie Burnett

December 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been driving a Toyota for the past 12 years, that thing is a tank. I have had zero problems with it and it has held up amazing. Honestly, I will only buy Toyotas from now on.

BJ Tenney

December 10th, 2019 Woods Cross, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a Rav4 that we bought used. I only did occassional oil changes in the 10 years I owned the car and didn't every have a problem with the car. I would buy another Toyota in a heartbeat.

Roberson

December 9th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

Toyota makes fantastic trucks, the Tacoma and Tundra models are fantastic trucks with a wonderful design. They are also very capable of navigating very difficult terrain and weather.

Sara Smith

December 4th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved my Camry as the gas mileage was phenomenal and never had any problems with it. I took care of it with regular maintenance and it took care of me.

Eric Wilkinson

December 4th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

IF you plan on keeping a car for a long time with minimal repairs, this a a car for you. A little more expensive than other brands but worth the additional cost.

TOG112

December 3rd, 2019 Fayetteville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had 3 Toyotas, a 1988 Camry, a 1996 Camry, and a 2000 Avalon. The Camrys were purchased new and the Avalon was purchased from a friend in 2010. I was completely amazed at the longevity of the first Camry, but it was totaled in a minor fender bender. The second Camry was sold with 300,000 miles on it (I just inherited a car) and I am still using the Avalon which now has 250,000 miles on it. I have found my Toyotas to be well-designed and very reliable. I have maintained all of these cars and I will probably get another if I replace my Avalon. I have no plans to replace the Avalon and hope to get another 100,000 miles from it.

Trent Frazer

December 2nd, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve had my Camry for 11 years now and it’s been great. Comfortable, still powerful, feels safe, always reliable. It still looks really sharp as well. No one believes it’s over ten years old.

Larson

December 2nd, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are a long lasting cars. You get your moneys worth.

Courtney carlson

December 2nd, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband has a forerunner and we love it. The dealership is awesome to work with and the car has been amazing. We love TOYOTA.

BeauCarl

December 2nd, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota 4-Runner great value SUV I have not experienced any major mechanical issues, only minor problems, mainly the interior scratches very easily, the finish is not durable to basic wear and tear, I had a black leather interior with silver details and a white exterior, I was surprised how easily little scratches would show on the silver interior accents (door handles, gear shift, etc) overall great running vehicle especially in 4 WD. I would recommend the overall price to value.

Ashley

December 2nd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Toyota. It is dependable and easy to manage. It is a little more expensive but worth it

Connor

November 29th, 2019 Farmington, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

THESE CARS NEVER DIE. They are the most reliable brand and cheap for fixing. I drive a 2001 Rav 4 with 200,000 miles on it and the only thing I've had to change is the battery.

Michelle W

November 27th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA

The Toyota Tacoma is the best small to midsize truck I've ever been inside. It drives easy, and I love how techy they have gotten recently.

Monica Zurawsky

November 27th, 2019 Pittsburgh, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had my Toyota Corolla since 2012 and it has been very reliable! It gets good gas mileage.

Roman Christiansen

November 27th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a Toyota and there have been no complaints! Everything has worked properly and the mileage is great!

Treyson Lewis

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Some of the best trucks around, they ride super smooth and have a very clean interior. Highly recommend these cars and trucks.

Stacie Vincent

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great car has amazing gas mileage in their newer vehicles. Very nice on the inside of all cars and trucks

Remington Austin

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My brand new Tacoma is simply amazing it has done everything I wanted it to do it has treated me very well in the snow as well.

Luke Blake

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

Toyota is a great, reliable car brand. I love their cars and am looking into purchasing a brand new 4Runner. No complaints

Caleb Campbell

November 26th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I drive a Toyota and I love it. It's a dependable car that gets good gas mileage.

KC

November 26th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Loved my Toyota Tacoma. Compact, but still a truck. Looked good. The drive was okay, but I didn't like that it didn't have a lot of bells and whistles that other trucks offered.

Tom Gourley

November 25th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When we have owned Toyota automobiles in the past I found them very reliable and economical to run. The only drawback I found was that the interior was a bit lacking with respect to quality (a bit too much "plastic"). They have never produced a model that I was impressed with the look of the exterior as well.

Daphne Brown

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my toyotas and they seem to run forever. The quality is great but I seem to pay alot more per vehicle even used. But you can tell the quality is great and worth the expense.

Jeremy Brown

November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Toyota but hate some of the high costs for sevice that come with it. They are very friendly to maintenance and I wish they would offer awd in more models. But a good product overall.

Kimmi

November 19th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had a T100 for years that has been great to haul a boat. Our Sienna has been a perfect family car. We have been on so many road trips and have never had any major issues.

Kaydence Bonino

November 18th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My son has a 1998 Toyota Rav 4. He is only 17 years old and this has been a great car. We haven't had any problems with it. Its also all wheel drive and gets great gas mileage.

Jon Robinson

November 15th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had my 2012 Camry for about 3 years now with nothing to complain about. It's just a good reliable car. I will probably buy another.

Lily

November 14th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I Love my tundra. Best truck ever. 250000 miles and still going strong!!!!!!!!!!