Toyota Motor Corporation was founded in 1937 in Japan and has grown to be one of the largest automakers in the world.

With a wide variety of vehicle options, including sub-compacts, minivans, sedans, pickup truck, crossovers, and SUVs, the company maintains its emphasis on building reliable cars. Many of these are built in the US, with 10 of the company’s 14 manufacturing and production plants located in the country.

With roughly 1,500 Toyota dealerships in the US, 2.4 million cars and trucks were sold last year. The automaker’s best-selling model is the Corolla, which has been made since 1996 and has sold over 40 million units worldwide.

The Good

• Reliability
  • Variety and Hybrid Options
  • Affordable
  • Safety Features

Reliability

Toyota has a reputation for dependability and ranks among the top third of auto companies in the latest JD Power dependability study. On top of that, according to the company, about “85 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold in the last fifteen years are still on the road today.” That is a huge percentage on top of the impressive reliability score.

With this reputation for reliability, the company has been included in Fortune’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies four years in a row as the top-ranked motor vehicle company.

Variety and Hybrid Options

Toyota makes sedans like the company’s best-selling model, the Corolla. A customer can also buy a pickup truck, SUV, or crossover.

With Toyota, there are also plenty of fuel-efficient models you can choose from, including a full-size hybrid Highlander SUV or a RAV 4 hybrid crossover.

As the world’s largest manufacturer of hybrids, the company's flagship model, the Prius was introduced in 1997 and is the world’s best-selling hybrid. Additionally, the Toyota Mirai is the world’s best-selling hydrogen fuel cell car.

Affordable

Toyota vehicles are competitively priced. With Toyota, you can buy the following brand new models for under $25,000:

• Tacoma
  • Prius
  • Rav4
  • Yaris iA
  • Corolla
  • Corolla iM

Safety Features

This Japanese automaker puts an emphasis on driving safety. Every year, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rates vehicle safety. Since 2014, the company has received an overall rating of five stars for over ten of their new models tested.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Thousands of Toyota vehicles have been affected by issues with Takata airbags. The Takata recall is the biggest auto recall in history, affecting many car makers, not just Toyota.

The Bottom Line

With Toyota, consumers can find a variety of options based on their values and needs. There are lots of affordable choices, as well as sustainable ones.

No matter which Toyota vehicle you choose, it is sure to have an industry-average warranty, plus above-average safety and dependability ratings.

When people think of Toyota, the phrase “dream car” may not come to mind; however, owners will tell you that with this brand, you get a great deal with long-term quality in mind.

It is no wonder that Toyota is a popular car brand with millions of sales and an admired reputation in the auto industry.

View Best Car Brands

Kilee Wagner

February 11th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have a Toyota Camry thats 25 years old with 330,000 miles on it and still runs amazing!

AmyConder22

February 11th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a Toyota Tacoma and wish that we never traded it in for a family car. It was an amazing truck and ran so smoothly.

Erika Douglas

February 10th, 2020 Cedar Fort, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our Toyota Toyota's have always been lower maintenance. And trustworthy cars. They are definitely worth the extra cost. .

LillianL

February 10th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I own a 2015 Toyota 4Runner and this has been the best vehicle I have ever had. It’s fun to drive and safe and does great in the snow

Kelly comstock

February 7th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have bought 6 toyota cars and trucks these vehicles are a great value and work well

Jake Comstock

February 7th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have had two Toyota trucks in my life and they have been the best vehicles I have ever owned. You can’t go wrong with the reliability of Toyota and their service. My next truck will definitely be another Toyota.

Mrs.LadyTee

February 7th, 2020 Chicago, IL

Own a 2013 Camry. Great on gas. Easy maintenance. Great ride. A nice bit of leg room.

sam vawdrey

February 7th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Such a great company and reliable cars. So easy to maintain. Love driving these types of cars.

terryjamison

February 6th, 2020 Madison, MS

A great automobile and trucks !! Get mileage. And the staff and service is awesome

Linda Webb

February 6th, 2020 Midway, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best car company that I have ever had. Very good quality. A little expensive, but good.

Lacey Horne

February 6th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota is a very reliable Company with reliable, long lasting products. Definitely look into these cars when we are ready to purchase.

Kayla

February 5th, 2020 Heber, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great cars. Good service and quality: Holds its value and easy to resell. Loved my Camry

Christyan Bennett

February 5th, 2020 New Orleans, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My toyota is so reliable and has the best and most comfortable arrangement i’ve ever had in a car. This is definitely my favorite car brand. They also have really good prices unlike several other car companies. I would recommend a Toyota to anyone who is putting in everyday use to their car.

Nicole Sohm

February 5th, 2020 Kissimmee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They have excellent customer service. I have a Toyota Corolla, if I ever have any problems I take it right to the dealership and they take care of me right away no questions asked.

[email protected]

February 5th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We loved our Toyota. It was our favorite car. It was very dependable. The repairs, which were few, were reasonable.

Jamie Neider

February 5th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a 2007 Toyota Sequoia for several years and it was so reliable. We are toyota people for life!

David T

February 5th, 2020 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a 4-runner for a long time. It was a good car but the gas mileage wasn't great.

Justin_mansell27

February 4th, 2020 Artesia, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great cars and trucks very reliable and durable company that has gotten better over time.

Christina Shumway

February 3rd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Toyota! It is a strong reliable car. I know that I can trust it and it will last me a long time.

Lindsay

February 3rd, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota is the most dependable brand of car that I have ever owned. My Corolla has nearly 300,000 miles on it and is still going.

Truman_k

January 31st, 2020 Santa Rosa, CA

They are great with communication. We get updates on our car warranty and Safety often. We love our Toyota

Lawrence Lee

January 31st, 2020 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So since 2007, my wife and I have both owned Toyotas, a Corolla and a Camry. We have only had to take our cars in for oil changes and regular maintenance, yes the occasional recall as well which can be irksome. But we have been incredibly satisfied with our cars and they've been running amazingly! Between the 2 cars we have about 320K+ miles, and really don't see the foreseeable demise of either car. As if I weren't a satisfied Toyota customer already at that point, I had an operations professor at school who is an avid Toyota evangelist. From studying cases and reports on the quality of Toyota cars and how they're manufactured (e.g. look up andon cord), I am even more of a Toyota fan and would be hard-pressed to purchase any other vehicle.

Audrey Mitchell

January 31st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have bought Toyota's cars over the years. They have been reliable vehicles and worked properly. The cars have great gas mileage and Toyota was great with any questions I had about car maintenance.

Darbles32

January 31st, 2020 Managua, MN

Toyota has yet to let me down with their awesome trucks. Have always used them for long camping trips

Juliann Mecham

January 31st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had a Toyota Sienna for a solid amount of time for a car, and put many miles on it, and it still runs like a beauty. Quality car, quiet, and works perfectly for a family of six.

Cole Colombo

January 30th, 2020 La Puente, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The most dependable car maker on the market. No other company will get you more bang for your buck.

Bryndie

January 30th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Super reliable cars. Very simple design which is just what I wanted. Haven’t had any issues with it and we’ve gone quite a few miles with our corolla.

Erika Shumway

January 30th, 2020 Managua, MN

Toyota is a great car brand. My family owns a Toyota Camrey and everything works efficiently and is strong and durable. It drives amazing and is reliable.

Seth

January 29th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They don’t have very much get up and go. But they are super reliable! They are also very affordable!

Reckholdt

January 29th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When we first bought a Sienna, I thought Toyota was a reputable brand. We have had a lot of issues with the car, especially the tracks that the seats slide on coming off...ALL.THE.TIME. We won’t be getting another Toyota.

chris Francom

January 29th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my Toyota 4 runner. It’s fun to drive and takes me wherever I want to adventure.

Aimee Mortensen

January 29th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

I have a Toyota 4Runner. The engine is reliable & it allows me to off road safely.

PessoaJ

January 28th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have a 2006 Toyota Corolla that we are still driving around and haven’t had one problem with that car. Solid, reliable, and good gas mileage.

Emily Tueller

January 28th, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best cars I have ever bought. Incredibly reliable and cost effective. Always be my first choice.

Tori smith

January 28th, 2020 Mesa, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I drive a Toyota and it hasn’t given me that many problems. It is expensive to fix but so is every other car

Harley Michel

January 28th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’m Haitian so everyone in my family has this car and it is trusted by my grand mother who don’t like cars so yes it is a bomb car

Cam McClellan

January 27th, 2020 Magna, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We own a Toyota Sienna. It has been good but did have some issues (thank goodness for buying an extended warranty).

Zac Cannon

January 24th, 2020 Biloxi, MS

My father And I drove/owned an old Toyota Pickup for many years. It was the vehicle I learned to drive on before switching to my Ford. I had to drive the vehicle when learning how to use a gear shift. The gear shift for the Toyota was much easier to use than some other vehicles I tried to drive on.

Kiersten Parker

January 22nd, 2020 Long Beach, MS

Very reliable company on their brand and holds up to their name.. completely worth the money for what you pay in Toyota

Nancy Paugh

January 21st, 2020 Long Beach, MS

I have owned two Toyota cars for years. Each lasted over ten years with regular maintenance. The value on these vehicles is hard to beat.

Jimmy Hall

January 20th, 2020 Houma, LA

Toyota is a amazing car brand they are really great at speed and miles. People should highly recommend Toyota.

Deano

January 20th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Switched from a Honda Civic to a Toyota Corolla and I couldn't be happier! I'll always have a Toyota from now on. My next pick will be a Rav4 cause I'm wanting more space. Starting to feel confined in my small car lol.

Rai Durant

January 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

By far the best car company there is! I have had my Toyota for a long time and she is still running beautifully! Such an eco friendly car thats good on gas!

Theresa

January 17th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love my Camry. Over the past 10 years we have owned 4 camrys. 2 new and 2 used. Built to last a lifetime.

SkylarPickens

January 17th, 2020 Gulfport, MS

I love TOYOTA! I bought my son a Toyota Camry and it’s such a safe and reliable vehicle!

Tiffany I

January 15th, 2020 Gaithersburg, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My current car is a Toyota and I love Toyota Care. If I were buying another car, I would definitely choose the extended warranty

Lane Bradshaw

January 14th, 2020 Norcross, GA

I won a 2003 Tacoma pre runner. Has over 200,000 miles and still runs great. Awesome truck.

jeremy pierce

January 14th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best truck I’ve ever drove was the 2015 Toyota Tacoma. Long lasting engine and great feeling.

EthanDolla03

January 14th, 2020 Columbus, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This car brand has always been very good to me. Not only they have very safe cars they also last a long time. I recommend this car brand

Tiffany Nguyen

January 14th, 2020 Ashburn, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family LOVES Toyota and I love the cars and the models. I especially love the 4Runner, because it’s very comfortable.