Toyota Motor Corporation was founded in 1937 in Japan and has grown to be one of the largest automakers in the world.

With a wide variety of vehicle options, including sub-compacts, minivans, sedans, pickup truck, crossovers, and SUVs, the company maintains its emphasis on building reliable cars. Many of these are built in the US, with 10 of the company’s 14 manufacturing and production plants located in the country.

With roughly 1,500 Toyota dealerships in the US, 2.4 million cars and trucks were sold last year. The automaker’s best-selling model is the Corolla, which has been made since 1996 and has sold over 40 million units worldwide.

The Good

• Reliability
  • Variety and Hybrid Options
  • Affordable
  • Safety Features

Reliability

Toyota has a reputation for dependability and ranks among the top third of auto companies in the latest JD Power dependability study. On top of that, according to the company, about “85 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold in the last fifteen years are still on the road today.” That is a huge percentage on top of the impressive reliability score.

With this reputation for reliability, the company has been included in Fortune’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies four years in a row as the top-ranked motor vehicle company.

Variety and Hybrid Options

Toyota makes sedans like the company’s best-selling model, the Corolla. A customer can also buy a pickup truck, SUV, or crossover.

With Toyota, there are also plenty of fuel-efficient models you can choose from, including a full-size hybrid Highlander SUV or a RAV 4 hybrid crossover.

As the world’s largest manufacturer of hybrids, the company's flagship model, the Prius was introduced in 1997 and is the world’s best-selling hybrid. Additionally, the Toyota Mirai is the world’s best-selling hydrogen fuel cell car.

Affordable

Toyota vehicles are competitively priced. With Toyota, you can buy the following brand new models for under $25,000:

• Tacoma
  • Prius
  • Rav4
  • Yaris iA
  • Corolla
  • Corolla iM

Safety Features

This Japanese automaker puts an emphasis on driving safety. Every year, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rates vehicle safety. Since 2014, the company has received an overall rating of five stars for over ten of their new models tested.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Thousands of Toyota vehicles have been affected by issues with Takata airbags. The Takata recall is the biggest auto recall in history, affecting many car makers, not just Toyota.

The Bottom Line

With Toyota, consumers can find a variety of options based on their values and needs. There are lots of affordable choices, as well as sustainable ones.

No matter which Toyota vehicle you choose, it is sure to have an industry-average warranty, plus above-average safety and dependability ratings.

When people think of Toyota, the phrase “dream car” may not come to mind; however, owners will tell you that with this brand, you get a great deal with long-term quality in mind.

It is no wonder that Toyota is a popular car brand with millions of sales and an admired reputation in the auto industry.

View Best Car Brands

Shauna Horne

February 25th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have mainly owned Toyota vehicles over the past 20 years. They are pretty reliable and we like the way they drive and the comfort of their seats. The main issues we have had are with the brakes and the starters, but they have been fairly reasonable fixes.

Rachel F

February 25th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a toyota fan. My Dad drove them for years and now raising my family I find the quality is unbeatable for the price--van, sedan, or SUV (Highlander)--we have nothing but good things to say for how they've held up for years. My one negative is the Sport version of their van is Not comfortable (seats and headrest angle--yes I know it is better to prevent whiplash etc. but not comfort). Also, because it is Sport the shocks are pretty tight so it's really not as smooth a ride despite it being the original "Swagger Wagon." But despite my lack of love for this one particular type of vehicle I would buy or lease a Toyota again in a heartbeat.

Mama Scott

February 25th, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best part of owning a Toyota vehicle was definitely the vehicle itself but the warranty, service, and maintenance was a close second. Our Toyota minivan was the perfect vehicle for safety and reliability.

Julie Taylor

February 25th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good quality cars. Have had lots of their cars and they last a while. we have had over 200,000 miles on on one of our cars. Great overall quality

Chelsie Washburn

February 25th, 2020 Missoula, MT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota is amazing! I have a Toyota Corolla myself and it has lasted me so long and will continue to get me from place to place!

Zabsanti

February 25th, 2020 Silverhill, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I own a Toyota and is one of the best cars ever owned. Has been very reliable and it rarely breaks down on me.

jkenny90

February 25th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very reliable cars. Have owned a Toyota vehicle since 2013 and have never had to bring it to the shop besides for general maintenance. The dealerships I've been to work with you to fulfill your wishes.

Jeremy Webb

February 25th, 2020 Covington, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Toyota Camry is going strong with 160,000 miles. Never needed to bring to the shop yet knock on wood! I travel fairly far for my job and this car does a great job on these long mileage trips. Dealership I dealt with not the greatest but overall the car itself was great!

Adria

February 25th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our 4 runner. We use it for camping and hauling things and just every day rubbing the kids around

Benjamin LeBlanc

February 22nd, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Toyota Camry has served me greatly over the past 100k miles. Nothing beats the longevity of it but I will that these cars are costly to repair and have subpar turning radius.

mike a xavier

February 21st, 2020 Roseville, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst experience ever! Returned to dealer (Melody Toyota San Bruno) multiple times for the same problem covered under the original 5 year/60k warranty. Common problem amongst this 4 cylinder Camry. Toyota issued a Service Bulletin regarding it's issues. After returning multiple times and having to pay for a rental car each time, I completed a 'comment card' & simply stated: 'Service Sucks when I have to return multiple times for the same problem.'. Shortly after, Manager Scott F called and followed up with my comment. He asked me if I feel that service sucks and I explained, corgilly, why I do. I was SHOCKED when he said that since I 'felt that way, DON'T COME BACK!' I was upset and called the Corporate Office to complain; same type of attitude and response! I took my complaint all the way to the CEO, the Great Grandson of Mr. Toyota & he told me the same thing!!! I was so upset, I promised to NEVER buy Toyota again!!!!!!!! And I have NEVER & my kids will never, either!!!!!! Worst Customer Service EVER!!!!!

Sandi Burkinshaw

February 21st, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Recently bought a Toyota Sequoia and couldn't be happier. Plenty of room for kids and their friends plus all of the equipment they come with. We are able to seat 7 very comfortably. Going on a road trip has never been easier for us. Lay down the back seat and there is plenty of room for luggage. Quiet ride, great sound system.

lani tuihalamaka

February 21st, 2020 Cheyenne, WY

The customer service was great. We were really specific about what we wanted and she did her best to accommodate us.

Hallieford

February 21st, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We drove a Toyota Corolla for 12 years and a small Toyota truck truck for 17 years and they were both extremely dependable. We sold both for a great cash amount with very high mileage. They last forever.

FABIO CAVALCANTI

February 21st, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very reliable car. I owned an old RAV 4 for a couple of years and had no issues with it. I used the 4X4 to have some fun in the Utah dirty roads and did some trips with it. When was time to sell it.. the great surprise, I was able to get a very good price.

Eric

February 21st, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Toyotas have never let me down. They last at least 10 years and maintain their value so well. The service centers are good, but often have long wait times.

Christina Bliss

February 21st, 2020 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Purchased a Toyota Prius. I have been very pleased with the quality and performance of the car. The gas mileage is great. I generally get 42 miles to the gallon. Just don’t loose your keys. It is very expensive if you have to have your key remade. I definitely would buy another car from Toyota.

CarenM

February 21st, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have owned a Toyota for many years. They are so reliable and seem to run forever. I will buy another Toyota vehicle is possible.

Nicholas Cloward

February 21st, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always been a Toyota customer. They have unmatched quality for their vehicles. I feel like my Toyota as will outlast pretty much any other normal car out there. I will always buy a Toyota

Jeremy Lucas

February 21st, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you want something that will last over 300,000 miles look no further than Toyota, they are highly reliable and run forever. I really enjoyed my Tacoma I had for several years.

Dwhoush

February 21st, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My wife’s corolla has been a very reliable car. Toyota makes a very good Product that holds up to the abuse of everyday driving.

Lethia Johnson

February 21st, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have only ever owned Toyota, and I have zero plans on ever buying another car brand! I love the way they drive, the last forever, and their safety is unmatched! You will not regret buying a toyota!

JDWain

February 21st, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I own the Toyota 2017 Corolla; it is a wonderful car, I have had no problems with it. My whole family have been Toyota buyers and I plan on being a lifelong customer. The company has always been very reliable and honest when I take my car to the dealership to get it worked on.

Mike Ika

February 20th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have owned 2 Toyota Corollas, a Camry, and a Tundra. All have been EXCELLENT cars. Very reliable and very dependable. Other than routine maintenance, I haven’t had any issues requiring expensive mechanic work. My Tundra gets horrible gas mileage, but that aside, Toyota is the vehicle brand I prefer to own.

Silvia Lobendahn

February 20th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My family really enjoyed our Camry. We had it a long time. Toyota brand cars are well made and we feel that we can trust that they will last a long time. We love that they retain their value and will forever be a Toyota family.

Ron Vincent

February 20th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have been buying Toyota products for years and highly recommend them. They are very dependable and low maintenance

Jessica

February 20th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

The all wheel drive is convenient in the Toyota Sienna. It drives better in snowy weather.

Deryl

February 20th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We got my daughter a Toyota and it works amazing. The built of the car is strong.

Kellen

February 20th, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I drive a toyota all the time and it works great. Gets you where you need to go and lasts a long time! Great cars!

Molly Keogh

February 20th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have purchased 2 toyota vehicles and have had great luck with both. We have not had any major repairs and have driven one for close to 200,000 miles. Will definitely go back in the future.

Syl

February 19th, 2020 North Port, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always been a Toyota fan. I have a Highlander 2005. I never have any problem with the services department. The employees are friendly and the dealers are cozy.

Chantell Filiaga

February 19th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Toyota’s. They are good on mileage and so easy to maintain and fix if ever a problem. My car lasted me very long drives and gas mileage always good.

Braylyn Linford

February 19th, 2020 Bountiful, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My tundra is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It will last me forever.

Bob Muench

February 19th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had a few Toyotas over the years. They have been great vehicles--pickup, car, van. We've had them all, and they stand up well to the use that we give them. Very good car. In fact, I bought a Chev once because it was well priced and had been built at a Toyota plant. Another great little car.

B Bartholomew

February 18th, 2020 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have owned 3 Toyotas and they have a good product and pricing has always been reasonable and reliable.

Mariana Linares

February 18th, 2020 Charlotte, NC

My brother still drives his Toyota Highlander that was bought over 13 years ago! The car runs amazing, and it was actually the first car I learned how to drive in. I will say, in recent years, Toyota has renamed their car models, and the design of them is different, but overall they are a very dependable car brand.

Jami Lucas

February 18th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My first car was a Toyota and I loved it! It was very reliable and got great gas mileage

James Conder

February 18th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought myself a Tacoma a few years ago and was in LOVE this this truck. Smooth ride, and never had issues with it. Toyota dealers were amazing to work with and it was a no pressure sale for them. Loved my Tacoma

Rommie Bishop III

February 18th, 2020 Rexburg, ID

I drove a Toyota Tacoma while living in Texas, for a faith mission that I was on, and those things were always fun to drive. One of the sturdiest vehicles I've ever entered.

Anne

February 18th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You can always count on Toyota. I don't know how many times I have forgotten to put gas in my car and was able to push the car to the nearest gas station.

fernandopessoa

February 18th, 2020 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I drive a 2006 Toyota corolla that has given me no problems. It’s as consistent as they come. Had high miles and it runs awesome. Toyota for life.

Pasimata

February 14th, 2020 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We only get Toyota vehicles because they last forever and run well. We own a Sienna and Scion and they work so well.

Dana Heimback

February 14th, 2020 Carlsbad, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best cars ever. Trust their product. They hold up forever. My son in law drove is old Corolla for 20 years. Got it after his dad drove it. It was finally taken off the road because it was too old. But still ran. We have a 2007 camry. Still drive it as our primary car

Kbr

February 13th, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The one car that I like to buy for my children is a Toyota. I feel like the quality and dependability is superior! And also feel comfortable knowing that it’s built well.

C. Horne

February 13th, 2020 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great cars. Corporate is a mess. We had warranty issues on a corolla with the paint and the warranty department would not even discuss the issue. They were right no matter what. I even provided many pictures of corollas with the same problems. Would never buy another Toyota car again. I would consider a Tacoma.

Brett Wilson

February 13th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Most reliable, Built sturdy and priced well for how long these cars last. I have 3 garages full of Toyotas!

Yisha Gu

February 13th, 2020 Downers Grove, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Having owned several Toyotas, I considered them to be good reliable vehicles and never had a reason to question the warranty. Great value for the money and great gas mileage car with a surprising amount of room in the Sedan 4 door version.

Emiliano Galeano

February 13th, 2020 Elkridge, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I own a 2014 Toyota Yaris , a small but really good car , still haven’t had any Issues with it ( with out counting tires , breakers and wipers{things that normally break down}) I’m in the middle of looking for a company truck and Toyota is what I’m planning on buying

Claribel Galeano

February 13th, 2020 Upper Marlboro, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Custumer service is always friendly and professional, we have purchased cars and have no complaints at all

Lori Fletcher

February 13th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT

I love driving my dads Toyota Corolla when he lets us borrow it on occasion. The seats are so comfy and the engine is quiet. If I wasn't already invested in Honda, I'd purchase a Toyota.