Toyota Motor Corporation was founded in 1937 in Japan and has grown to be one of the largest automakers in the world.

With a wide variety of vehicle options, including sub-compacts, minivans, sedans, pickup truck, crossovers, and SUVs, the company maintains its emphasis on building reliable cars. Many of these are built in the US, with 10 of the company’s 14 manufacturing and production plants located in the country.

With roughly 1,500 Toyota dealerships in the US, 2.4 million cars and trucks were sold last year. The automaker’s best-selling model is the Corolla, which has been made since 1996 and has sold over 40 million units worldwide.

The Good

• Reliability
  • Variety and Hybrid Options
  • Affordable
  • Safety Features

Reliability

Toyota has a reputation for dependability and ranks among the top third of auto companies in the latest JD Power dependability study. On top of that, according to the company, about “85 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold in the last fifteen years are still on the road today.” That is a huge percentage on top of the impressive reliability score.

With this reputation for reliability, the company has been included in Fortune’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies four years in a row as the top-ranked motor vehicle company.

Variety and Hybrid Options

Toyota makes sedans like the company’s best-selling model, the Corolla. A customer can also buy a pickup truck, SUV, or crossover.

With Toyota, there are also plenty of fuel-efficient models you can choose from, including a full-size hybrid Highlander SUV or a RAV 4 hybrid crossover.

As the world’s largest manufacturer of hybrids, the company's flagship model, the Prius was introduced in 1997 and is the world’s best-selling hybrid. Additionally, the Toyota Mirai is the world’s best-selling hydrogen fuel cell car.

Affordable

Toyota vehicles are competitively priced. With Toyota, you can buy the following brand new models for under $25,000:

• Tacoma
  • Prius
  • Rav4
  • Yaris iA
  • Corolla
  • Corolla iM

Safety Features

This Japanese automaker puts an emphasis on driving safety. Every year, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rates vehicle safety. Since 2014, the company has received an overall rating of five stars for over ten of their new models tested.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Thousands of Toyota vehicles have been affected by issues with Takata airbags. The Takata recall is the biggest auto recall in history, affecting many car makers, not just Toyota.

The Bottom Line

With Toyota, consumers can find a variety of options based on their values and needs. There are lots of affordable choices, as well as sustainable ones.

No matter which Toyota vehicle you choose, it is sure to have an industry-average warranty, plus above-average safety and dependability ratings.

When people think of Toyota, the phrase “dream car” may not come to mind; however, owners will tell you that with this brand, you get a great deal with long-term quality in mind.

It is no wonder that Toyota is a popular car brand with millions of sales and an admired reputation in the auto industry.

View Best Car Brands

Rischelle Mikkelson
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have loved our Toyota Camery. We use it as our family car that all the kids drive. We feel it is a very safe and reliable car. It gets good gas mileage and is well made.

Alyssa Boren
October 14th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I love my Toyota Sequoia, the only thing that I don't like is that the side mirrors are to high up, block my view, and give me another blind spot to worry about. Other than that, I feel safe whenever I am driving it.

Greg
October 14th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have owned several Toyota’s throughout the years and it is such a reliable car. Few breakdowns and that was only with old cars. Service is great

Cooper
October 14th, 2019 Midway, UT DETAILS

Great salesman and amazing car. You can never go wrong with their service. Super honest sales team in Murray

Linda Clark
October 10th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Good cars but they seem to be much more expensive than competitors like Nissan and Hyundai.

JF
October 10th, 2019 Rancho Palos Verdes, CA DETAILS

20 years, 120k miles and with reasonable expense it runs as well as when I bought it

Ed Clark
October 10th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

We have purchased every car from this company. They service all of our vehicles and do an excellent job.

Cameron Clark
October 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Always had great cars from Toyota. Very reliable and great service at the Toyota dealerships.

Amy Boren
October 9th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

My family swears by Toyotas!! We have always own one and they work great. They drive well and they last forever. A very trustworthy brand!

Mr. & Mrs. L Forst
October 9th, 2019 Redondo Beach, CA DETAILS

Toyota is the only make of car we will consider buying. They are very reliable.

Adam Moesel
October 9th, 2019 Provo, UT

Well respected brand for its long-lasting cars and fuel efficiency. Look good while you’re cruising around town.

Zac Marx
October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS

I used to love the Toyota trucks I drove. Even though the gas mileage wasnt great, Toyota's are reliable and efficient. Rarely had issues and came for a great deal.

Derek Scoville
October 8th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

for over 20 years, I have only driven Toyota. The quality of the car, the warranty, and the overall trustworthiness of their vehicles is what has kept me as a customer. Their cars are just high quality and last for a long time!

Nanci Gardiner
October 8th, 2019 Goleta, CA DETAILS

We have had 6 Toyotas the past 15-20 years, and now will only buy Toyota brand cars and trucks. We have had such a great track record with Toyota vehicles. We never have break-downs, and the maintenance has been minimal. My current Camry is a 2007 and just hit 200,000 miles and is still going strong. My husband keeps telling me I need a new car, but I love my Camry! (Unless he wants to get me a NEW Camry!) ;-) We are huge Toyota fans!

Mike Smith
October 7th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

Hard to beat the build quality of the Toyota brand. they are somewhat spartan in the trim out of the interiors but a real quality reliable brand.

Suzanne Mingus
October 7th, 2019 Columbia, MO DETAILS

We have owned several Toyota vehicles and are happy with their longevity. We just sold our 2000 Toyota Camry that at 19 years old still ran great!

Stephen
October 7th, 2019 South Jordan, UT

I have had a 4 runner for many years. It now has over 200k miles on it and is still going strong.

bailey jo
October 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

My Toyota Corolla lasted for what seemed like forever with very few needed repairs. It was a great car for college and was good on my budget as well.

Karen Jorgensen
October 4th, 2019 Washington, UT

We have owned a Sienna for 8 years now and we love it. It's a very safe and reliable car, I love the option of the 8th seat that can fold up and it has a cubby in the cargo area off to the side (it doesn't take up any cargo room) so if I need it, its there. If not, I can tuck it away. I love the space and room of the cargo and inside of the van. I love the smooth ride, the reliability and how much wear and tear it can sustain. My van is a 2011 and is still going strong.

Monica Bertha
October 4th, 2019 Encinitas, CA DETAILS

I love Toyota! My brother got a used Toyota in 2007 as his first car and now it is my car and it runs perfectly and looks new! They are such high quality cars

Jon Scoresby
October 4th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I've had two Camrys and they have both been great cars. I'm glad I made this choice. They lasted a long time and had very little mechanical trouble with both.

Ellen Morris
October 4th, 2019 Potomac, MD

I love Toyota!!! Their cars are well engineered and manufactured and have always been incredibly reliable to me. I also love that I can buy a nicer model if I want to!

Cassandra
October 3rd, 2019 Sunnyvale, CA DETAILS

My family has always had Toyotas. They are reliable and never let you down! I LOVE TOYOTA!

Sherry Arnold
October 2nd, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

We bought my dad's Toyota Solara and have really enjoyed it. Toyota is a great brand and we expect to get a lot of mileage from this car.

Jaime
October 2nd, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We currently have a Toyota Tacoma but we have driven many other Toyota cars over the years (Tercel, Corolla). They run so well. Will definitely buy more Toyotas in the future!

Barry Henline
October 2nd, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I highly recommend the Toyota company. I love their vehicle's dependability, the way they hold their value and the durability of the drive train and body

Steve Olson
October 2nd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Love Toyota!!! I drive a 2004 4Runner and it’s great because it’s reliable, has room for everything I need and it rips in the snow!

Joy Hill
October 1st, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I've had a toyota of one sort for the last 20+ years. They are the most dependable cars in my mind and I plan on sticking with them!

Ted Johnson
September 30th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have a Toyota Highlander and it is a Hybrid. It has been a great car that does well in our harsh winter months and gets great gas mileage. I haven't had to pay a ton on maintenance and it has lasted a very long time.

Rachael
September 30th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS

I’ve had a few Toyota’s and they are by far my favorite car! I currently drive an Avalon with many miles on it and it still runs perfectly! Such reliable cars.

Garrett Mingus
September 30th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I drove an old Toyota Camry in high school and it was a great high school car. It's almost 20 years old and it's still running strong!

Darrin Henry
September 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love my toyota 4 runner and ease of maintenance and service Toyota offers. It has been my favorite vehicle so far.

Randy Scoville
September 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I've owned two corollas, a Sienna and just bought a Rav 4. even though the price of a Toyota is usually higher than the competition, the value of the vehicles is unmatched. They just last forever, and are high quality. I will be a lifetime consumer of Toyota.

Campbell Blair
August 29th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

I love my Prius and it's been working great. It has over 300,000 miles and works still. It still gets from point A to B and works.

Mazi Marcel Womack
July 22nd, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

My Toyota is one of my favorite cars I have ever owned. Great car and great customer service.

Paige Baldwin
July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

One of the first cars my family owned was a Toyota Camry. It was a nice car that drove well. It held up for years.

Ben Crisp
July 11th, 2019 Temecula, CA

My dad has had a corolla for 5-6 years now and we’ve never had a problem with it. The gas mileage is incredible and it is a very reliable and good looking car.

Haley Baldwin
July 10th, 2019 DETAILS

I drove a little Toyota Camry as my first car for awhile and I loved that thing. It drove well and if it ever had a problem, customer service would help me get to the bottom of it.

Roy S.
July 8th, 2019 La Verne, CA DETAILS

Good overall quality of products delivered from factory

Rachel Ellsworth
July 1st, 2019 Gilbert, AZ

I love my Toyota vehicle! They have very reliable cars with great quality in every way.

Whitney Stanko
July 1st, 2019 Smithfield, UT

I drive a Toyota Corolla and it’s an older brand but it works so well. It just keeps pushing and driving great. Trust worthy company

Dana
July 1st, 2019 Temecula, CA DETAILS

We have a Toyota Corolla and we are very happy with it. The gas mileage is great. It is comfortable for 4-5 adults. We have had several appointments in the service department and everyone has been kind and professional.

Rosann Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I loved my Toyota Prius. The mileage was the best of any car we’ve ever owned. It did have problems in the wind because it wasn’t strong enough and while waiting at lights or pausing while waiting to turn, the engine would quit and it would startle me. I felt like I wouldn’t have enough time to naturally turn and might get hit. We only sold it though bc there were reported serious problems with a lot of them in the news.

Braden Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Smithfield, UT

Well made company. I drive a Toyota Corolla and it is a good sturdy little car. Never have many problems with it and it is comfortable to drive.

Lauren
June 25th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

a 2000 toyota corolla was my first car and it lasted FOREVER. Not the nicest car but it got me where I needed to go

Maxi
June 24th, 2019 Chino, CA DETAILS

The best from the rest! We have never had any problem with our Toyota 4 runner we purchased off the display room we get so many compliments and we have had it for five years now! It is truly a limited suv fits our family comfortably and runs amazing. Toyota has the best customer service we have purchased all of our Vehicles

Sierra Beck
June 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

My family had a Toyota Corolla for years and it was such a great car. We were the second owner of the vehicle and drove it to over 170,000 miles. It went all over the country with us and was overall great.

matthew
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT

i love toyota i use to drive a toyota tacoma for a work truck and it was such a good truck got me any where i would want and it never once broke down and toyota is a very reliable company.

Anna Lower
June 17th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS

I owned a Toyota Corolla for a while and it was a very reliable car, never broke down

Ken Francis
June 12th, 2019 Provo, UT

I love the vehicles that I have driven that are toyotas. It is a great company and they make great vehicles.