Toyota Motor Corporation was founded in 1937 in Japan and has grown to be one of the largest automakers in the world.

With a wide variety of vehicle options, including sub-compacts, minivans, sedans, pickup truck, crossovers, and SUVs, the company maintains its emphasis on building reliable cars. Many of these are built in the US, with 10 of the company’s 14 manufacturing and production plants located in the country.

With roughly 1,500 Toyota dealerships in the US, 2.4 million cars and trucks were sold last year. The automaker’s best-selling model is the Corolla, which has been made since 1996 and has sold over 40 million units worldwide.

The Good

• Reliability
  • Variety and Hybrid Options
  • Affordable
  • Safety Features

Reliability

Toyota has a reputation for dependability and ranks among the top third of auto companies in the latest JD Power dependability study. On top of that, according to the company, about “85 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold in the last fifteen years are still on the road today.” That is a huge percentage on top of the impressive reliability score.

With this reputation for reliability, the company has been included in Fortune’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies four years in a row as the top-ranked motor vehicle company.

Variety and Hybrid Options

Toyota makes sedans like the company’s best-selling model, the Corolla. A customer can also buy a pickup truck, SUV, or crossover.

With Toyota, there are also plenty of fuel-efficient models you can choose from, including a full-size hybrid Highlander SUV or a RAV 4 hybrid crossover.

As the world’s largest manufacturer of hybrids, the company's flagship model, the Prius was introduced in 1997 and is the world’s best-selling hybrid. Additionally, the Toyota Mirai is the world’s best-selling hydrogen fuel cell car.

Affordable

Toyota vehicles are competitively priced. With Toyota, you can buy the following brand new models for under $25,000:

• Tacoma
  • Prius
  • Rav4
  • Yaris iA
  • Corolla
  • Corolla iM

Safety Features

This Japanese automaker puts an emphasis on driving safety. Every year, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rates vehicle safety. Since 2014, the company has received an overall rating of five stars for over ten of their new models tested.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Thousands of Toyota vehicles have been affected by issues with Takata airbags. The Takata recall is the biggest auto recall in history, affecting many car makers, not just Toyota.

The Bottom Line

With Toyota, consumers can find a variety of options based on their values and needs. There are lots of affordable choices, as well as sustainable ones.

No matter which Toyota vehicle you choose, it is sure to have an industry-average warranty, plus above-average safety and dependability ratings.

When people think of Toyota, the phrase “dream car” may not come to mind; however, owners will tell you that with this brand, you get a great deal with long-term quality in mind.

It is no wonder that Toyota is a popular car brand with millions of sales and an admired reputation in the auto industry.

View Best Car Brands

Paige Baldwin
July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

One of the first cars my family owned was a Toyota Camry. It was a nice car that drove well. It held up for years.

Ben Crisp
July 11th, 2019 Temecula, CA

My dad has had a corolla for 5-6 years now and we’ve never had a problem with it. The gas mileage is incredible and it is a very reliable and good looking car.

Haley Baldwin
July 10th, 2019 DETAILS

I drove a little Toyota Camry as my first car for awhile and I loved that thing. It drove well and if it ever had a problem, customer service would help me get to the bottom of it.

Roy S.
July 8th, 2019 La Verne, CA DETAILS

Good overall quality of products delivered from factory

Rachel Ellsworth
July 1st, 2019 Gilbert, AZ

I love my Toyota vehicle! They have very reliable cars with great quality in every way.

Whitney Stanko
July 1st, 2019 Smithfield, UT

I drive a Toyota Corolla and it’s an older brand but it works so well. It just keeps pushing and driving great. Trust worthy company

Dana
July 1st, 2019 Temecula, CA DETAILS

We have a Toyota Corolla and we are very happy with it. The gas mileage is great. It is comfortable for 4-5 adults. We have had several appointments in the service department and everyone has been kind and professional.

Rosann Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I loved my Toyota Prius. The mileage was the best of any car we’ve ever owned. It did have problems in the wind because it wasn’t strong enough and while waiting at lights or pausing while waiting to turn, the engine would quit and it would startle me. I felt like I wouldn’t have enough time to naturally turn and might get hit. We only sold it though bc there were reported serious problems with a lot of them in the news.

Braden Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Smithfield, UT

Well made company. I drive a Toyota Corolla and it is a good sturdy little car. Never have many problems with it and it is comfortable to drive.

Lauren
June 25th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

a 2000 toyota corolla was my first car and it lasted FOREVER. Not the nicest car but it got me where I needed to go

Maxi
June 24th, 2019 Chino, CA DETAILS

The best from the rest! We have never had any problem with our Toyota 4 runner we purchased off the display room we get so many compliments and we have had it for five years now! It is truly a limited suv fits our family comfortably and runs amazing. Toyota has the best customer service we have purchased all of our Vehicles

Sierra Beck
June 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

My family had a Toyota Corolla for years and it was such a great car. We were the second owner of the vehicle and drove it to over 170,000 miles. It went all over the country with us and was overall great.

matthew
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT

i love toyota i use to drive a toyota tacoma for a work truck and it was such a good truck got me any where i would want and it never once broke down and toyota is a very reliable company.

Anna Lower
June 17th, 2019 Saint George, UT DETAILS

I owned a Toyota Corolla for a while and it was a very reliable car, never broke down

Ken Francis
June 12th, 2019 Provo, UT

I love the vehicles that I have driven that are toyotas. It is a great company and they make great vehicles.

Taylor Walker
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I really like Toyota, they are really reliable cars usually no major issues or malfunctions.

Sergio
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Own a Tacoma, very reliable and have not had any issues. Would definitely recommend in a heartbeat.

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Over the past 5 years we have had a little Toyota Camry and a Toyota Corolla that our kids have been using. I have loved these cars as I have been using them frequently as well. The repairs are not expensive and they get pretty good gas mileage. The best thing about these cars is that they run forever. The Camry that we have been using is a 1997 and has close to 200,000 miles on it and it still runs very well. If you take care of these cars, they can last you 18+ years! (At least that has been our experience with the old cars that we have been using)

Christina Balls
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Toyota seems to be one of the most reliable automobiles out there and we wouldn't hesitate to purchase another

Emily Walker
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have had my last 2 cars as a Toyota and my husbands as well and we love them! They have been very reliable and last a long time.

Nicholas
June 10th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

There paint coating is durable resulting in little to no rust over the course of 5 to 7 years with the proper care.

Marissa
June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS

I love Toyota! I've driven a Toyota Camry for years and it has been so incredibly reliable--I've never had any issues. My car has 300,000 miles and it is still going strong!

Trenton Prestwich
June 6th, 2019 Taylorsville, UT DETAILS

After my dodge engine died after only 120000 miles I decided to switch to Toyota. The little maintenance I've needed to do has been easy and no vehicle breaking failures have occurred.

Jimmy Monroe
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

These definitely have a good reputation. Supposedly they are cheap to repair. Our Toyatas have been reliable. We do love them! MPG is decent and they get us where we need to go.

Humzah
June 3rd, 2019 DETAILS

We have owned a Toyota Yaris 1.33 for around 5 years. In that time, the car has run perfectly well. No issues with gas, oil, breaks or headlights. The car has been very safe for us and we haven't had to worry about crashes or any other potential accidents.

Anne
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I really like my Corolla because it has worked great for me for years. I would buy a Toyota again.

Jessica Bjorling
May 31st, 2019 Eldridge, IA DETAILS

We had a Toyota Corolla for a while and we never had a single problem. I also had amazing experiences with Toyota’s customer service. They were also so kind and helpful and genuine.

Camilla Lundberg
May 31st, 2019 Mapleton, UT

I love Toyota I had my first Toyota and i never want to go back to any other car because Toyotas are very reliable and the best they last a long time and i love all the cars Toyota makes. I like that they are reliable and last a long time. highly recommend Toyota

Janessa
May 31st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

We love our Toyota Avalon and Highlander. Both are over 150,000 miles and still drive great and look like they will keep going strong for another 150,000 miles. Comfortable seats and ability to have bucket seats in our Highlander.

Natalie Prestwich
May 31st, 2019 Taylorsville, UT DETAILS

We our on our third Toyota as a family. We first got an Avalon 4 years ago and ended up getting a second Avalon 5 months after that because we were loving our first one so much! We ended up trading one of the Avalons in for a Sienna because of our growing family. They have all been such reliable cars. Very low maintenance, which is what I want from a car (even the 2007). They have also been very comfortable to ride in with plenty of room and very affordable. I would always recommend this brand to anyone who wants something they can rely on!

Christine Farmer
May 31st, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

We currently own a 2014 Corolla and a 2005 Avalon. Both cars are reliable and drive well. I have especially loved the Avalon. It is comfortable to sit in and has a very smooth ride. It is very roomy, especially for back seat riders. At 173,000 miles we need to replace it, repairs too expensive. I was hoping it would last a little longer. I wish it came with an AWD option. We have also had an older Toyota truck and a Camry. We like the design, comfort, and reliability of Toyotas.

Dale L Farmer
May 30th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I have bought several Toyota vehicles and I am impressed with their reliability and good riding. Repairs have been affordable.

Sarah
May 29th, 2019 Kaysville, UT

We had a Toyota Tacoma growing up and that is what I drove all through school. I loved it and it was very sustainable.

S
May 28th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I have a 2001 Camry, it is a great car. Runs well, and is easy to maintain thnks

Anne Sainsbury
May 28th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

I loved my toyota corolla! It was a reliable car that got me all the way through highschool! I ended up selling it to my sister who then used it for an additional 5 years! Great gas mileage, and the upkeep was minimal! Definitely the best car I've had to date, and would 10/10 recommend

BLF
May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Our family has driven a Toyota truck before and it was a good quality vehicle. The durability and style was nice. We had the smaller sized truck for convenience and the gas mileage.

Boston Whipple
May 15th, 2019 Provo, UT

Our family had a Toyota for a long time and it ran well for well over a hundred thousand miles and through several small accidents. It was very dependable.

Virginia Rosenthal
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My family has had Toyota vehicles over the years (Sienna, Tundra). Each time we get a new truck we always get a new model of Tundra. I recently sold my Sienna and miss it very much. The features in the van were exactly what a busy family needed.

Jeremy
May 14th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

A solid company that always gives you what you need and it’s always durable and for affordable prices.

Reese
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I currently have a Toyota Highlander and love it. It is a Hybrid and I love everything about it, the look the room, the performance, the gas mileage, and the no problems. It isn't my first Toyota, and it won't be my last.

L. Fowler
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had a Toyota truck and it was very reliable and lasted a long time. We rarely had any problems with it and would buy another one in a heart beat!

Ashley
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We own a Toyota 4runner and have put over 100,000 on it. We've hardly had any issues at all with the car while living here in Utah. The weather gets bad so I like the Toyota brand because they are very dependable. This is our second Toyota Car we've owned and I trust the name.

Jennifer
May 13th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

We have had 5 Toyota vehicles over the years and we always see ourselves coming back. We have NEVER had an expensive repair and regular maintenance keeps them running great. I have recommended Toyota to many of my friends and I will continue to do so. The quality of vehicle for the price is amazing compared to other auto makers.

David M Rose
May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have been a Toyota truck driver since 2003. Over 15 years of driving their trucks and I am still impressed. The durability and reliability of their vehicles is why I keep coming back.

Gary Rohrbaugh
May 7th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

We purchased a Toyota Sienna Van in January 1999, and we are still driving it! it has been the primary vehicle for my wife and 6 children. We have driven it cross country and up into the mountains for camping. This is the best vehicle we have ever owned. The only downside is the Dealership maintenance cost are very high, and any repairs at the dealership are very high also.

Eliza Anne Jones
April 17th, 2019 Provo, UT

Our Sequoia Toyota has been a great investment. We have had it for ten years and it still works great! We love our Toyota because it is designed with so much leg room. It is a great family car and especially great for all of our road trips!

Allison Driggs
April 17th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I bought a Toyota for my son and he has driven it for years. It has been efficient and reliable! I love Toyota cars. I would buy one every time.

Michael
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have owned a Toyota for several years now and have always been impressed with how well my car holds up. Great cars for a great price.

Madeline
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have driven a Toyota 4-runner for the past year. All three of my other siblings have used it as well. It has been a reliable car, and has almost 200000 miles.

Debbie
March 28th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Our Toyota Tundra has been so reliable-very comfortable ride and has been exactly what we have needed for construction purposes.