Toyota Motor Corporation was founded in 1937 in Japan and has grown to be one of the largest automakers in the world.

With a wide variety of vehicle options, including sub-compacts, minivans, sedans, pickup truck, crossovers, and SUVs, the company maintains its emphasis on building reliable cars. Many of these are built in the US, with 10 of the company’s 14 manufacturing and production plants located in the country.

With roughly 1,500 Toyota dealerships in the US, 2.4 million cars and trucks were sold last year. The automaker’s best-selling model is the Corolla, which has been made since 1996 and has sold over 40 million units worldwide.

The Good

• Reliability
  • Variety and Hybrid Options
  • Affordable
  • Safety Features

Reliability

Toyota has a reputation for dependability and ranks among the top third of auto companies in the latest JD Power dependability study. On top of that, according to the company, about “85 percent of all Toyota vehicles sold in the last fifteen years are still on the road today.” That is a huge percentage on top of the impressive reliability score.

With this reputation for reliability, the company has been included in Fortune’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies four years in a row as the top-ranked motor vehicle company.

Variety and Hybrid Options

Toyota makes sedans like the company’s best-selling model, the Corolla. A customer can also buy a pickup truck, SUV, or crossover.

With Toyota, there are also plenty of fuel-efficient models you can choose from, including a full-size hybrid Highlander SUV or a RAV 4 hybrid crossover.

As the world’s largest manufacturer of hybrids, the company's flagship model, the Prius was introduced in 1997 and is the world’s best-selling hybrid. Additionally, the Toyota Mirai is the world’s best-selling hydrogen fuel cell car.

Affordable

Toyota vehicles are competitively priced. With Toyota, you can buy the following brand new models for under $25,000:

• Tacoma
  • Prius
  • Rav4
  • Yaris iA
  • Corolla
  • Corolla iM

Safety Features

This Japanese automaker puts an emphasis on driving safety. Every year, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rates vehicle safety. Since 2014, the company has received an overall rating of five stars for over ten of their new models tested.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Thousands of Toyota vehicles have been affected by issues with Takata airbags. The Takata recall is the biggest auto recall in history, affecting many car makers, not just Toyota.

The Bottom Line

With Toyota, consumers can find a variety of options based on their values and needs. There are lots of affordable choices, as well as sustainable ones.

No matter which Toyota vehicle you choose, it is sure to have an industry-average warranty, plus above-average safety and dependability ratings.

When people think of Toyota, the phrase “dream car” may not come to mind; however, owners will tell you that with this brand, you get a great deal with long-term quality in mind.

It is no wonder that Toyota is a popular car brand with millions of sales and an admired reputation in the auto industry.

View Best Car Brands

SamO

March 26th, 2020 Tremonton, UT

I drove my friends Tacoma and it's was really nice! It had good seats and a nice design.

Ellie

March 23rd, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Toyota truck can do it all, from off roading adventures to getting around town. It’s sturdy and has required only maintenance.

Steve Jones

March 20th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Absolutely love my Toyota 4Runner and have from the moment I drove it. I love the sporty, yet high-end features, and most importantly the safety features. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

Rocio Diaz

March 18th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota are known to be cheap and efficient. They do last a long time, but they require a lot of car repair. Toyota cannot beat anyone's prices. My son currently drives a Toyota Corolla from 2003 that once belonged to me, and it still runs pretty good.

Kristen Vineyard

March 17th, 2020 Providence, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Camry! It’s amazing and it drives great! I never have any issues and it’s great quality.

Jaiden Barney

March 16th, 2020 Seattle, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had a 2000 Toyota Avalon SE for almost 5 years now and it is FANTASTIC. I consider her my baby, and she glides like no other. There are some strange electrical issues with my alternator. Luckily, the first time my alternator went out I bought a lifetime warranty, so I’ve just been able to trade them in each time. But I have had to replace my alternator 3 times in those 5 years. (2/3 were free)

Emily Norton

March 12th, 2020 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had 5 Toyota’s, trucks to cars, and they’ve all been very reliable. I currently have a 2004 Toyota Solara, it’s got 150k+ miles on it and it runs just fine! They last forever and aren’t super high maintenance.

Andrew Norton

March 12th, 2020 Tucson, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Toyota! They have the most reliable vehicles that run forever. May not have the features that others do but it gets you from a to b

Austin Stelmach

March 12th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've driven a Prius for the past 5 years and it still runs great. It is surprisingly spacious for its size and saves me a ton of money on gas!

Logan Hudson

March 10th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ive borrowed a Tundra for a week and it was one of the best trucks Ive driven. It was very smooth and easy to drive. The price seems very affordable for the cars and trucks provided and I have had little experience with customer service.

Myken

March 10th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our a Toyota Tundra! Toyota makes quality vehicles and when we've needed repairs or service done, they've been responsive and have provided excellent service.

Brandy

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have a 2016 Toyota Camry. I personally love the car, rides really smooth, and the improved technology is really nice! The only tiny issue I have is the durability of the bumper; I feel as though the material is a bit easy to bend and damage but other than that, I love the car!

Precious P

March 9th, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have a 2018 Toyota Camry XLE that I love so much. Toyota cars are reliable, resistant and durable.

Lou

March 9th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a newer highlander. I really like it. It has been a good solid car. The heat fan makes a funny high pitched noise. I would say my only complaint is that I wish it were a little better in the snow. But all around it drives nice and has great space for my 4 kiddos!

Jacobrobot321

March 9th, 2020 Baton Rouge, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Been having my Toyota Tundra since 2004. Never let me down. Only thing I've changed on it since buying it was the battery. Great company and product.

Msindoni

March 8th, 2020 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a loyal Toyota customer. For the past decade all the cars in my household are Toyota. They are very reliable and I rarely have issues. It is simple to get them fixed as well.

Brysen roberts

March 6th, 2020 Garland, UT

I’ve had a Toyota Sienna for about 15 years now, and it’s gotten almost 300,000 miles on it, but the most amazing thing about it is that we’ve only ever taken it to the shop for oil changes! Toyota has been a very reliable brand, and our car has lasted through many memories! From the looks of it, our car still has a lot more memories to go through still!

Lizabeth Augustine

March 6th, 2020 Holmdel, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our family has owned a Toyota since 2005. Always smooth ride, had minimal repairs through the years. Excellent service whenever needed. Safe and comfortable driving experience. Recommend always to others.

OwenE.

March 6th, 2020 Hattiesburg, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After twenty years their cars still hold up, hardly ever a problem that I have to deal with. Very worth the money.

Leah Cantrelle

March 5th, 2020 Hattiesburg, MS

You absolutely can’t beat the gas mileage. You also can’t kill a Toyota Corolla. Big Bang for your buck!

Hownowbrowncow

March 5th, 2020 Jackson, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My Toyota has 556k miles on it and it runs beautifully. You really get what you pay for and it’s high quality!

Eny Donnelly

March 5th, 2020 Port Saint Lucie, FL

I have two cars Toyota and for many many years , I love Toyota vehicles because the resale is the best, because those cars are very reliable

Jarrett Morrill

March 5th, 2020 Missoula, MT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I sure love my Toyota truck. It’s been a great quality truck and has gotten me to many places safely throughout the years.

J M

March 5th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have enjoyed 2Toyota Siennas in the past few years. Previously had a Plymouth Voyager and the Toyotas have been so much more reliable than the Plymouth. Road trips are the best in our Sienna!

kaylee

March 5th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

Toyota cars run so smoothly for so long. Every Toyota I’ve ever drove has been great! They get awesome gas mileage too!

Wilgens Paul

March 5th, 2020 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyotas are known for their reliability and safety! The Toyota RAV 4 is a great car that is fit for a family!

Corey Smith

March 5th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I truly appreciated their customer service. Whenever I go in for an oil change the employees always make sure that I am taken care while I am on the premises.

Alyssa Hansel

March 5th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota is by on far one the best cars I’ve driven. Super reliable and always at a good price! My first car was a older Toyota and it lasted me through college!

Kimsreview

March 5th, 2020 Gaithersburg, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota’s are reliable very good cars. I have driven many different ones via rental and am always pleased with the ride.

Angie Seare

March 5th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota makes a quality car. We love the dashboard features and comfortable seats.

Rutva Vora

March 4th, 2020 Cocoa, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Everyone in my family drives a Toyota! Great mileage and free service for the first 2 years is the best deal!

Janie Dennis

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Toyota is a great company for many of us low to middle class individuals! Toyota's product lasts for a long time as well! Highly recommended!

Danisalaz

March 4th, 2020 Corpus Christi, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Toyota’s! I’ve had my car for like 6 years now and it has never had any issues! The gas mileage is incredible and it has served me so many years without breaking on me.

Natalia Correa MDTribe

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My first car ever was fairly new, but used Toyota Corolla 2010. I am still driving this care and it is in very good condition. Drives smooth, doesn't give me issues and whenever it does the prices are reasonable. Your usual wear and tear. Honestly wondering when the car will give out just because I want to upgrade but its in such good condition!!!!

Maryann Renteria (Mckrae)

March 4th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve had 3 Toyota Camry’s and love them! Great cars, smooth ride, look nice and fit with my budget. I have always bought my cars from Toyota and I’ve always been satisfied. They are great to work with.

Chaveli

March 3rd, 2020 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My first car ever was a Toyota and to this day I have a Toyota! Cannot beat the customer service. They are efficient and effective in solving all my concerns.

Linda Hays

March 3rd, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my Toyota Tundra and Camry. They are dependable and comfortable. The Toyota service centers are efficient and communicate well about the service needed.

Jennifer Donnelly

March 3rd, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a 2012 Toyota Corolla because my mom wanted a car that she knew she could trust and know that her daughter would be safe in. I also pay like nothing for gas. I enjoy having a car I do not have to worry about. I know I will never break down in the middle oft he road because of my engine, why because its Toyota. My whole family has Toyotas because its reliable. I have had my car for 4 years and I know I will continue to drive it for a very very long time.

Ashley Roberts

March 2nd, 2020 Lafayette, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved my Toyota. Always very dependable and secure. One of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven.

Kimi Bayles

March 2nd, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great value for the money. Perfect car for us, totally reliable. And great on gas!

Nicole Jones

February 28th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have owned many cars and Toyota is by far the best car I have ever owned. I really love my Highlander; its luxurious, yet sporty. And feel extremely safe in it, which is a necessity when you're carrying precious cargo that is your children!

Rebecca Ralphs

February 27th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought a Toyota Camry 15 years ago and I have been so extremely satisfied with them. It currently has 270,000 miles on it and it is still running strong!

Fay Falatea

February 26th, 2020 Kaneohe, HI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like Toyota’s. I had a Tundra and traded it in for a Sequoia. Runs well, it’s a gas guzzler. It’s roomy and I feel safe driving my Sequoia.

JD Dunklee

February 26th, 2020 Hattiesburg, MS

I have rented a Toyota while on a trip for 3 days. The gas mileage on the car we drove was amazing! I would highly recommend anyone get this brand

Madeline Harris

February 26th, 2020 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve owned my Camry for about 3 years, and I am continuously impressed. My car hasn’t broken down or has any issues! Very reliable!

Jefferson Germain

February 25th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best choice if you're looking to get your first car. Toyota is the most reliable car. You can never go wrong with Toyota. it is also super good on gas.

gina chatfield

February 25th, 2020 Grass Valley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely live my Toyota Sienna van. I’ve had it for over 10 years! Very roomy and runs very smooth!

Shauna Horne

February 25th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have mainly owned Toyota vehicles over the past 20 years. They are pretty reliable and we like the way they drive and the comfort of their seats. The main issues we have had are with the brakes and the starters, but they have been fairly reasonable fixes.

Rachel F

February 25th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a toyota fan. My Dad drove them for years and now raising my family I find the quality is unbeatable for the price--van, sedan, or SUV (Highlander)--we have nothing but good things to say for how they've held up for years. My one negative is the Sport version of their van is Not comfortable (seats and headrest angle--yes I know it is better to prevent whiplash etc. but not comfort). Also, because it is Sport the shocks are pretty tight so it's really not as smooth a ride despite it being the original "Swagger Wagon." But despite my lack of love for this one particular type of vehicle I would buy or lease a Toyota again in a heartbeat.

Mama Scott

February 25th, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best part of owning a Toyota vehicle was definitely the vehicle itself but the warranty, service, and maintenance was a close second. Our Toyota minivan was the perfect vehicle for safety and reliability.