Toyota Logo

Toyota

9.9

Toyota is a trusted and well-known brand in the automobile industry. Toyota Motor Corporation was founded in 1937 in Japan and has grown to be one of the largest automakers in the world. Toyota’s mission is to manufacture reliable vehicles that result in a fulfilled ownership experience.

With a wide variety of vehicle options, including sub-compacts, minivans, sedans, pickup trucks, crossovers, and SUVs, the company maintains its emphasis on building reliable cars. Many of these are built in the United States, with 10 of the company’s 14 manufacturing and production plants located in the country. With roughly 1,500 Toyota dealerships in the US, 2.4 million cars and trucks were sold last year.

The Good

• Reliability
  • Variety and Hybrid Options
  • AWD Options
  • Environmentally Minded
  • Affordable
  • High Resale Value
  • Positive Customer Reviews
  • Best-Selling Car Model
  • Best-Selling Hybrid Model
  • Safety Features

Reliability

Toyota has a reputation for dependability and ranks among the top third of auto companies in the latest JD Power dependability study. On top of that, according to the company, approximately “85% of all Toyota vehicles sold in the last fifteen years are still on the road today.” That is a huge percentage, on top of the impressive reliability score.

With this reputation for reliability, the company has been included in Fortune’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies four years in a row as the top-ranked motor vehicle company.

Variety and Hybrid Options

Toyota makes sedans, like the company’s best-selling model, the Corolla. A customer can also buy a pickup truck, SUV, or crossovers. With Toyota, there are plenty of fuel-efficient models you can choose from, including a full-size hybrid Highlander SUV or a RAV 4 hybrid crossover. As the world’s largest manufacturer of hybrids, their flagship model, the Toyota Prius is the world’s best-selling hybrid. Additionally, the Toyota Mirai is the world’s best-selling hydrogen fuel cell car.

AWD Options

Toyota offers AWD upgrades to give you more peace of mind during winter weather conditions or off-road excursions. AWD improves vehicle handling to give you more control behind the wheel. With dynamic torque control, Toyota AWD vehicles diffuse torque between the rear and front axles. This is an exclusive feature specifically designed for Toyota vehicles.

AWD is available on select vehicles including the Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna, Toyota Tacoma, Toyota Tundra, Toyota RAV4, Toyota Highlander, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Sequoia, and Toyota Land Cruiser. AWD comes on many trim level upgrades.

Environmentally Minded

If you are a consumer worried about environmental safety, Toyota is the car company for you. Toyota has an environmental challenge set to be accomplished by 2050. Already offering hybrid vehicle options, Toyota hopes to reduce its fleets' carbon emissions and create a clear production process. This challenge includes six parts:

1. Reduce vehicle emissions to zero CO2.
  2. Eliminate CO2 from vehicle manufacturing to disposal.
  3. Improve manufacturing processes to zero CO2 emissions.
  4. Conserve and optimize water usage.
  5. Establish a functional recycling program for end-of-life vehicles.
  6. Build a positive relationship with nature now and for the future.

This environmental initiative influences the innovation and engineering used to create vehicles that are better for the environment. We will continue to see vehicles with better fuel economy and fewer emissions.

Affordable

Toyota vehicles are competitively priced. With Toyota, you can buy the following brand new models for under $25,000:

• Tacoma
  • Prius
  • Rav4
  • Yaris iA
  • Corolla
  • Corolla iM

High Resale Value

Toyota vehicles are known for holding their value even after years of driving. According to Kelly Blue Book, the new Toyota Tacoma is projected to have the highest resale value in the next five years. Other new cars with high resale values include the Toyota 4Runner and the Toyota Tundra. Toyota’s high resale values come from the long-established trust built with consumers. Toyota car models with 200,000–400,000 miles are still on the road today. High resale value is not an advantage you will find with all car brands.

Positive Customer Reviews

Based on real Toyota reviews, customers are highly satisfied with their Toyota purchases. Seventy-five percent of customers gave Toyota a 5 out of 5 star rating on bestcompany.com. With over 400 reviews, the main advantages that customers highlight include the following:

• Vehicles functioning properly with 150,000+ miles
  • Quality customer service and support
  • Affordable prices
  • Few maintenance or repair problems
  • Amazing gas mileage

Read more Toyota reviews below. See why people become repeat customers at Toyota.

Best-Selling Model Worldwide

Toyota is home to the best-selling car model in world history: the Toyota Corolla. The Toyota Corolla is a dependable sedan that features hybrid options for improved fuel efficiency and decreased carbon emissions. Toyota also offers a Corolla Hatchback version for increased cargo space. This year, the Corolla was named “2020 Green Car of the Year” by Green Car Journal.

Toyota has sold over 44 million models since the Corolla debut in 1966. In fact, approximately one Toyota Corolla is sold every 15 seconds worldwide. That’s about four Corollas per minute. Holding the title for the best selling car model confirms Toyota’s ability to make cars that are versatile, reliable, and timeless.

Best-Selling Hybrid Worldwide

The Toyota Prius is the best-selling hybrid vehicle worldwide. Overcoming many technical and engineering obstacles, Toyota launched the Toyota Prius in late 1997. Toyota was not the first company to come up with a hybrid or electric motor idea. However, Toyota’s commitment to innovation and excellence led them to be the first car company to mass-produce a hybrid vehicle.

Since its first introduction, the Toyota Prius has been improved and modified to the point that new models get a fuel economy of 53 to 58 mpg. That is a lot of money saved on gas every year, especially for people with long commutes. You can also purchase the Toyota Prius Prime allowing you to charge your vehicle to improve your EV mode range. Toyota continues to innovate, bringing you cars that will save you money and protect you while driving.

Safety Features

This Japanese automaker puts an emphasis on driving safety. Every year, the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rates vehicle safety. Since 2014, the company has received an overall rating of 5 stars for over ten of its new models tested. Toyota vehicles have standard safety features including airbags, seatbelts, electronic stability control, and child safety seats. Toyota also has additional safety features installed in its vehicles. Toyota Safety Sense™ comes standard on many of the new models being released this year. This safety technology includes the following features:

• Pre-Collision System — Toyota’s safety technology quickly responds if the system detects a car or pedestrian shortly ahead. This feature improves reaction time to keep you and others safe on the road.
  • Radar Cruise Control — This feature helps you adjust your speed based on your distance from the car in front of you. This intuitive technology reduces the number of times you have to adjust your cruise control.
  • Lane Departure Alert — Get a lane departure warning if you unintentionally start to drift out of your lane.
  • Automatic High Beams — Automatic high beams toggle your high beam and low beams based on the surrounding traffic.
  • Lane Tracing Assist — This feature uses cameras to measure the length of the lane to create a centerline. Keep your vehicle in the middle of the lane with lane tracing assist.
  • Road Sign Assist — This feature takes the worry out of missing a speed limit change. Road sign assist recognizes oncoming signs and displays them on your dashboard.

Some of these features are available through other car brands such as Subaru and Hyundai. According to IIHS, Toyota has three models in the top 23 safest vehicles of 2020. Toyota vehicles stay competitive with other top car brands for the best safety features.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Thousands of Toyota vehicles have been affected by issues with Takata airbags. The Takata recall is the biggest auto recall in history, affecting many car makers, not just Toyota. Newer Toyota models will not have the Takata recalled airbags. You only need to be worried about this recall if you are buying a used vehicle.

The Bottom Line

With Toyota, consumers can find a variety of options, based on their values and needs. There are lots of affordable choices, as well as sustainable ones. No matter which Toyota vehicle you choose, it is sure to have an industry-average warranty, plus above-average safety and dependability ratings.

When people think of Toyota, the phrase “dream car” may not come to mind; however, owners will tell you that with this brand, you get a great deal with long-term quality in mind. It is no wonder that Toyota is a popular car brand with millions of sales and an admired reputation in the auto industry.

Read through our Toyota reviews below to learn about real customer experiences with the brand. If you are ready to take the next steps towards owning a Toyota, visit a local car dealer to test drive and discuss pricing options.

View Best Car Brands

4.8

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I own a 2004 Toyota Tacoma and it has worked perfectly sense I have owned it. It is perfect for camping and off roading which are two activities that I do often. I recommend a Toyota to anyone who needs a vehicle that can handle being off the road.

Dave Spokane, WA

Our Toyota has lived up to its reputation of reliability: it just hardly ever needs repairs. Our Corolla is 15 years old. My mom bought it used and drove it for many years and now my daughter drives it. I take a lot of comfort in being able to trust that it's not going to break down on her.

Lisa C Johnson Capitol Heights, MD

I absolutely love these cars. I bought my first Toyota Corolla after graduating from college. I did alot of researching and the Corolla was considered the most durable and cost effective. So I bought a brand new one and kept it for 6 years. It was stolen from my apt. It was never found. I bought another Corolla. That was 15 years ago. I am diligent in getting oil changes. This car is in great condition!! My mechanic even gives my car rave reviews. I have over 350,000 miles on it. The odometer does not go past 299,000. So I keep record of the mileage. I plan to keep it until it stops running. Hopefully, at least 5 years. Then I will buy another Toyota. Thanks Toyota. You have a loyal customer.

valérie Caussé Draper, UT

What I've liked about the Toyota cars I've owned is how they accelerate and how easy they are to maneuver. I have owned two Toyota cars so far (a RAV4 and a Highlander), and they were both so nice to drive

Pauline Causse Provo, UT

I have loved my Toyota RAV4. It is a reliable car and I haven't had any issues with it (outside of a car's usual wear and tear). It has great acceleration and has taken me on many road trips. The back is also really roomy!

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

My family has bought numerous makes and models of Toyotas over the years and they have all been excellent cars. We never experienced any major mechanical issues. They are very reliable and very capable of going over 150,000 miles (and more) without any issues.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

My family recently bought a black Toyota highlander and I love it so much. It has a screen which images a "iphone" and lots of space for me and other people to sit in. I love how easy it is to connect your phone to the car and I always make sure to blast music whenever I ride in the car.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Toyotas are reliable cars and trucks, but not sporty. Their hybrid line-up is popular. However, leather interior is only available in the Avalon model. Car sales are boosted by rental companies, whereas Honda does not sell to rental companies.

Tony

This is the most reliable car brand out. I've had a total of 4 Toyotas and they are well build, reliable, and stylish. I've had 2 corollas, and 2 camrys and they have gone as high as 250,000 miles before I moved on to a new vehicle.

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

I am very happy to even have four Toyota cars. Each of them are good quality and reliability. I brought a second-hand Toyota corolla when I just learned to drive. It took me all round in Australia, it is so easy to control and driver friendly. When I came to USA, I made my mind buy another second-hand Toyota corolla, we use it for about ten years and it still reliable and stable. Then we brought Toyota highlander on 2011, it is so great, both my wife and I love it. It is very save and stable and we use it for ten years. Now we buy another Toyota highlander on 2021, it has all the function we need and both my family loves it.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have always loved Toyota’s. They are just made so well. I know each time I purchased a Toyota I am getting a good quality and long lasting vehicle. I always feel safe and that it is reliable to get me or a family member to where we need to go. They are comfortable car vehicles and will continue to purchase Toyota’s in the future. Toyota has done a great job providing a reliable and safe vehicle. I have always appreciated customer service through Toyota as well, and have been impressed by their knowledge and professionalism.

Alexa Williamson Orem, UT

We currently own a 2016 Toyota Rav 4 and I absolutely love it. It is the perfect family car is it safe and reliable and it get good gas mileage. We take that car every were this year we had a baby girl and I have peace knowing that we are getting into a safe and reliable car that is capable of protecting us on the road. I think we will always own a Toyota!

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

I am Toyota for life, so I have a lot of good things to say about it. I have owned several Toyotas, all of which lasted for years and at least 200k miles. The only thing that varies is your service department if you bought a new Toyota and you want to keep up with servicing. Some service departments are top-notch and others are not. I have owned a Prius for almost 5 years now and I have 140k miles on it and it is still going strong. I have been keeping up with routine maintenance and that's about it. It's a solid car.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

I owned a Toyota pickup for about 8 years. This was an amazing car. Despite having over 100,000 miles on the odometer, it still worked very well. This was a stick shift car which was. easy to drive and got very good gas mileage. Despite putting many miles on the odometer by many frequent trips from Tucson to Provo Utah or southern Idaho, I recall only having to take it in for car repairs once. The miles per gallon were outstanding for the late 80s and early 90's. The paint and interior were excellent despite car being over 10 years old when I sold it. I think this was a great car and would recommend it to anyone who wants to purchase a great pickup. I would certainly recommend them to look into a small Toyota pickup

Ethan Ahern Phoenix, AZ

I've grown up with Toyota. They are reliable vehicles and last a long time if proper services are done (fluids/oil)

Cassidy Lucas Olney, MD

One thing I like about this company is they are very trustworthy. One thing I don’t like is that they are not made in the USA. But overall I think it’s a great car.

jingqi lei Rockville, MD

I have one RAV4. I love the easy ride and the power to go, go, go. If I need to get on the freeway quickly, this car has the oomph to do it! I love the color (silver) and all the bells and whistles. I plan on keeping this car for a long time.

Cassidy Blaser American Fork, UT

I have absolutely loved any Toyota I have ever driven! I currently drive a RAV4 and I feel safe and know that it is a car I can rely on. I will always choose Toyota when I purchase a car from here on out. Great features in the car.

Adam Simpson Provo, UT

I drive a 2004 Toyota Camry that my grandma drove for many years before me. It has seen many miles (over 200k now) and has showed almost no signs of its age. Certainly not anything flashy, but for reliability and trust, there's almost nothing better!

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Toyota is a great company that makes cars that can last for a very long time and get good gas mileage. There are many makes to chose from and their manual cars are also good, however, shifting is not as smooth as in other types of cars.

Wendy Hunter Riverton, UT

Toyota is our go to when we need to purchase a new or used vehicle. My husband bought his first Toyota (Celica) when he was 18 and he drove it for 20 years before giving it to a cousin who drove it another 5 years! We now have a Land Cruiser that has nearly 250,000 miles on it.

Cal Hunter Riverton, UT

Toyota is a rock solid brand that I go to for reliable cars and trucks. I started with the Celica in college and most recently drive a Landcruiser. All of these vehicles I've driven over 250,000 miles with very little mechanical problems.

Samuel Keith American Fork, UT

I have a 2006 Toyota Tacoma I have had it for 12 years and it has never had any problems it runs amazing and it is great off road and in the snow. it has 130,000 mile and I enjoyed every mile. I go up to my cabin every year in the winter and there is sometimes up too two feet of snow on the road and the truck has never had any problems getting through the snow

Michael C. Fayetteville, AR

Toyota has been a forever loyal friend to my family. Every vehicle that has been in my family, has been a Toyota, and we would not change a thing. Every Toyota we have purchased (such as: 4-Runner, Tacoma, Sequoia) has offered us great reliability and peace of mind, as we drive hundreds of thousands of miles on each vehicle. The customer care is excellent and very friendly. Toyota has been fantastic.

Ashton Rogers Fayetteville, AR

I have been driving my 2005 Toyota Highlander for 5 years now and I am very impressed with how this vehicle has held up over the years, especially with it being so old. I have had very very minor issues with it (a few headlights out and brake replacements) and the cost was very reasonable for the Toyota parts to fix these. Everyone in my family drives Toyotas, so I can truly say they are very reliable cars and will last longer than most other companies.

Amanie Crosbie ,

My family grew up on driving Toyotas from the time I knew what cars were. We owned Toyota Corollas and Corolla Hatchbacks. My brother has since owned a Toyota Matrix, and a 4Runner. My oldest daughter owns a Toyota Camry and loves it. We have always had incredible vehicles that only require the usual maintenance and no additional problems. They have all been great vehicles with high miles and high gas mileage on them. We have loved all the Toyotas we have owned.

TOG112 Fayetteville, AR

I have had 3 Toyotas, a 1988 Camry, a 1996 Camry, and a 2000 Avalon. The Camrys were purchased new and the Avalon was purchased from a friend in 2010. I was completely amazed at the longevity of the first Camry, but it was totaled in a minor fender bender. The second Camry was sold with 300,000 miles on it (I just inherited a car) and I am still using the Avalon which now has 250,000 miles on it. I have found my Toyotas to be well-designed and very reliable. I have maintained all of these cars and I will probably get another if I replace my Avalon. I have no plans to replace the Avalon and hope to get another 100,000 miles from it.

Rachael Berhan Salt Lake City, UT

Toyota's last so long!! My family had a Toyota and it lasted for 10 years!! Such a reliable brand.

Baj5527 Brigham City, UT

I’ve owned 3 Toyota’s in my lifetime and all have been good cars. My first was a Toyota Tercel That was the first car I ever bought and I loved it so much. My next car was a wagon. My family was getting bigger but we learned that they we’re discontinuing it, a Corona wagon. So we realized that parts were going to be difficult to get. We decided to trade it in on a new Toyota. The last was a Camry that I totally loved. It was such a great car so super for zipping around town. It was my car. My husband had a truck by then and I had the Camry. It was beautiful both inside and out. All three Toyota’s ran beautifully and if I ever needed anything the service department was always there to meet my needs. We bought all our Toyota’s in Riverside, California.

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

Toyota has been very long lasting for my family's car. This is my go to company for when I purchase my first vehicle.

Jarrett Ingram Newport News, VA

My very first car-it lasted for 10+ years. Extremely durable and reliable. Low cost of maintenance when it comes to repairs.

Nikkie

Cars that we bought in Toyota always last more than a decade, and we don't have much issues with the cars unlike people that we know that have a different brand.

Anna Gratalo Salt Lake City, UT

Great brand when looking for a car, the staff was very helpful when I had lots of questions. Made the car buying experience easy and I feel like I can go back when I'm looking for my next car.

Tylyn Hansen American Fork, UT

I’ve driven many Toyota’s in my life and have always loved them! Can’t beat their reliability! I currently drive a Corolla and I love how comfortable it is for road trips and longer commutes.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

My wife wanted to buy a Toyota Corolla and I’ve been surprised at how well it drives. Seems like they have some very reliable models that explains why you can find their sedans everywhere.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

Toyota is bar none the best car company on the planet! While not the most luxury car, they have always been the most reliable, and still a brand that yo can feel confident you look good in!

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

Toyotas handle very well in the snow. after living in Utah for several years, it has been important for my family to feel safe in the cars we drive in during the winter time. these cars give me that feeling.

CoachTrista Englewood, CO

We have owned two toyota's. The first was for 17 years and our second one is on year 4. The durability and reliability of this brand is unmatched in the market. In addition, if you did want to skip out and sell it before the life of the SUV was over, they hold very high resale value.

Max Winkel Salt Lake City, UT

I have a Toyaota Camry myself and its from 2005 and I have had zero major problems. It gets pretty good gas mileage and can go pretty fast. Both my brothers have Tacoma trucks and they havent had too many problems either. They make high quality cars and I would recommend them.

JG00 Saint Charles, MO

I owned a 2007 Toyota Camry for 9 years and the only parts that ever broke or were worn out was the water pump, rear wheel bearings, and timing belt. Everything else was perfect and could have gone for many more years. The only reason that I don't own it anymore is because it was totaled by a vehicle who was being chased by the police.

LBishop Logan, UT

We have LOVED our Sequoia. It has been a champ and has lasted awhile. We have had no problems with it. Do oil changed when needed, tire rotations, make sure to do the recommended mileage checkups. It still runs amazing at 220,000. Has some wear and tear. But it has been a really great car.

Julie Earl Magna, UT

We have owned Toyotas for 20 years. After our first Camry, we were convinced and decided we would only buy Toyotas. Since the first Camry our family has owned Corolla's, a RAV-4, and 2 Highlanders. We will never buy another Make of car. You've made us Toyota customers for life!

Leisha Logan, UT

My very first car was a 1994 Toyota Corolla and it was an excellent little car!! It ran great for many years!! I ended up getting another car and my sister drove it for awhile before it was sold to a friend...I’m sure it’s still running!

Stefanie Ewer Providence, UT

We purchased a Toyota Tundra in 2012. Sales people weren’t annoying or pushy. The truck still runs great, is super comfortable, and the only maintenance we have done is the routine upkeep. Great truck built by a great company.

Azrienne Davis Tallahassee, FL

I recently purchased a new Toyota and I’ve had an older Toyota. These cars have improved so much over the past couple of years, starting with its overall appearance. The sporty cars look so amazing and so are the new features inside the car like the bluetooth!

Karen Jorgensen Washington, UT

We have owned a Sienna for 8 years now and we love it. It's a very safe and reliable car, I love the option of the 8th seat that can fold up and it has a cubby in the cargo area off to the side (it doesn't take up any cargo room) so if I need it, its there. If not, I can tuck it away. I love the space and room of the cargo and inside of the van. I love the smooth ride, the reliability and how much wear and tear it can sustain. My van is a 2011 and is still going strong.

Hannah Giles Pleasant Grove, UT

I now have my third Toyota and love it. My first one was purchased in 2006 - a 2006 Toyata Sienna. I drove it for ten years and it had well over 100,000 miles when I sold it to a family member. That was three years ago and it is still going strong. Since then, I purchased two different Toyota Highlanders and have loved them both - neither have had any major problems and Toyota Service Centers are very easy to work with.

ALICE ANDERSON

Watch the little details. The electronics are far behind the others, for example, no Apple CarPlay yet. The new cupholders are abysmal, the drinks tip over when I turn a corner. And the radical changes made to Lexus should be left out of the Toyota models. For example, the obnoxious "growling" ferocious grill is overkill. It detracts from the cars.

Lourdes Rivera

I was car shopping and I saw this car online when to the Price Toyota and everything from sale, swervice and financing was very good and now waiting for my tags and no more car payments. Thanks to Toyota for helping me choose my red Toyota Corolla 2017 LE but I do recommended Toyota their safety features on any car 2017 and up. Also, I love red. Anyone not sure get a Toyota second a Nissan and third choice a Chevrolet.

Jerry Simpson

The reliability is virtually incomparable. I have owned numerous Toyota makes since 1978 and many have gone beyond 200,000 miles. However, anytime they have not shown integrity (as with the Toyota Prius and their floor mats) they have fallen short of being "the best". I now own two vehicles, one a Toyota Prius. It has been one of the best vehicles I have owned. Midstate Toyota's (in Asheboro, NC) service has been, over the years, impeccable. I could not ask for better, more honest service.