Nissan Logo

Nissan

8.5

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021

Founded in 1933, Nissan Motor Company is a Big Three Japanese automaker with a reputation for style and performance.

Formerly sold under the Datsun marque in the United States, Nissan reclaimed its own automotive brand in the mid-eighties. In 1989, Nissan spun-off its own luxury brand, Infiniti. Nissan is the largest automobile manufacturer in the United States and the sixth-largest in the world.

The automaker’s cars, trucks, crossovers, and SUVs are sold at more than 1,020 Nissan dealerships in the United States. If you are looking for a dependable car with a luxury interior, explore Nisson’s lineup to find a vehicle that’s within your budget. Nissan’s best value vehicles start at just $13,500 MSRP.

Keep reading our Nissan review to learn more about the pros and cons of purchasing a Nissan or skip to the Nissan reviews.

The Good

• Dependability
  • Variety of Vehicles
  • Best Truck Warranty
  • Reliable Safety Features
  • Autonomous Vehicles
  • Green Technology
  • Nissan Concierge
  • Convenient Service Department

Dependability

When it comes to dependability, Nissan ranks above average at 11th out of 31 car brands in the most recent JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study, meaning that Nissan vehicals have fewer issues that require attention or maintenance than many other brands.

Additionally, the following were ranked among the top three most dependable cars in their segment:

• Compact Car — Nissan Leaf
  • Small Car — Nissan Versa
  • Midsize Pickup — Nissan Frontier

Variety of Vehicles

Nissan’s current lineup runs the gamut from subcompact cars, like the Versa, to large trucks, like the Nissan Titan, which is available in Single, King, and Crew Cabs. The company offers a few different sports cars and even the electric Nissan Leaf, which is the world’s best-selling all-electric car with over 300,000 sold.

Nissan has an impressive lineup of six different SUV models. With a variety of models and trim levels, car buyers can find a Nissan SUV that suits their needs. In 2017, the Nissan Rogue was the best selling SUV in the world. The Nissan Rogue continues to be one of Nissan’s most popular car models because of its expansive cargo space, comfortable seating, and reliable safety features.

Best Truck Warranty

While most Nissan vehicles carry a 36-month/36,000-mile basic warranty and a 60-month/60,000-mile powertrain warranty, the Titan model comes with a 60-month/100,000-mile basic and powertrain warranty. This is the best available truck warranty in the nation.

Reliable Safety Features

As part of Nissan’s sustainability initiative, Nissan has implemented goals for a zero-fatality society. Steps to reaching this goal include an increased focus on automated driver technology and vehicle safety features. Nissan continues to improve its technology to make the roads safer for everyone. Intelligent Mobility, Nissan’s safety technology program, offers the following features:

• Forward Collision Warning
  • Blind Spot Warning
  • Lane Intervention
  • Back-up Intervention
  • Around View Monitor
  • Distance Control

The Nissan lineup also includes the Nissan Safety Shield. By 2021, Nissan’s Safety Shield 360 will come standard on all new U.S. vehicles. Radars positioned around the car build a full view of areas in front, behind, and around the vehicles. The Nissan Safety Shield 360 includes six features: Automatic Emergency Braking, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Rear Automatic Braking, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Warning, and High Beam Assist.

Autonomous Vehicles

Nissan is also helping to engineer Seamless Autonomous Mobility and use human “mobility managers” to teach driverless cars what to do when something unexpected happens. In the early 2020s, the company will start using autonomous vehicles to transport users to their destinations.

Nissan’s first autonomous vehicle will be the Nissan Ariya scheduled to be released in 2021. With Nissan’s Propilot Assist 2.0, drivers can set the car to single-lane driving for a hands-free driving experience. Drivers can also use the Propilot Assist 2.0 for guided lane change instructions.

Green Technology

Nissan is one of the world’s greenest brands and is the world’s largest electric vehicle manufacturer. By 2017, Nissan had sold over 275,000 electric vehicles. The company’s top-seller is the Leaf, which is the world’s best-selling highway-capable plug-in electric.

Since 2010, Nissan’s Green Program has been recognized by the U.S Environmental Protection Agency as an Energy Star Partner of the Year

Nissan Concierge

Nissan offers a new luxury feature to Titan pick-up owners — Nissan Concierge. Connect with a specialized Nissan assistant who can help you schedule appointments, check sports scores, make travel arrangements, along with other personal requests. This feature comes on the new Nissan Titan 2020 free for six months with an additional charge of $12.99 per month after the service period has ended. Nissan plans to make this feature standard on new vehicle models.

Convenient Service Department

Nissan offers a reliable service experience with extra perks for Nissan drivers. For example, Nissan owners receive a complimentary vehicle inspection every time they bring their car in for servicing. The inspection helps you recognize and anticipate any vehicle problems before you get back on the road.

Nissan also has an express service option at participating dealership locations. You don't need to make an appointment for an express dealer. Just show up during the operating hours and the trained technicians will take care of your Nissan car.

The Bad

• Takata Recall
  • Fuel Emission Scandal
  • Innovation Limitations

Takata Recall

Several different Nissan models were included in the Takata airbag recall, the largest of its kind ever to take place in the industry. If you own one of the following models, check to see if your vehicle is affected:

• 2001 to 2003 Nissan Maxima
  • 2002 to 2004 Nissan Pathfinder
  • 2002 to 2006 Nissan Sentra
  • 2007 to 2012 Nissan Versa

Fuel Emission Scandal

In 2018, Nissan’s leadership tampered with its vehicle’s fuel economy and emission statements. Many of Nissan’s green awards had been based on these false recordings. Nissan has admitted to this scandal and rechecked vehicles to make sure they are in compliance with Japanese safety standards. This scandal does not affect vehicles manufactured outside of Japan.

Innovation Limitations

Nissan competes to be on the front line of automotive technology. However, there are limitations to some of its new technology including the autonomous vehicle. For example, the self-driving function may not work properly in certain weather conditions including snow, heavy rain/fog, and ice. Lane markers must be clearly visible for the technology to work. New automotive technology has its advantages and its disadvantages. Consider these shortcomings before purchasing an autonomous car.

The Bottom Line

With Nissan, customers will see improved interior styling to match sleek exteriors. Consumers can shop dependable cars and trucks, as well as crossovers and SUVs. While most models come with an industry-standard warranty, the Titan pickup truck has the best truck warranty in the country.

This company is advancing technology when it comes to safety, sustainability, and driver experience. Drivers will benefit from Nissan’s commitment to innovation and excellence.

Read through our Nissan reviews below to learn about real customer experiences with the brand. If you are interested in a Nissan model, visit your local Nissan dealership to evaluate and test drive a vehicle. Don’t forget to ask about rebates and incentives.

View Best Car Brands

TheTennant 5 Salem, VA

I’ve had only one Nissan (Xterra) and I love it. Quality is good, the ride is good, features and style is unique, and dealership customer service has been good.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

We currently have a rougue! It is great. It gets amazing gas mileage. The care comes with so many great features that no other car even comes close to comparing to!

Britni Laidler Lindon, UT

We got a Nissan a few years back and it was a nice car, but had some things that just seemed cheap about it. It was a nice ride, but randomly the windshield wiper fluid would randomly just start spraying fluid, so we would have to fill it up constantly it seemed. The seatbelt tab that kept the belt latch from sliding to low popped off and so we constantly had to dig for the seatbelt latch. We have always been a Toyota family, and tried something new, needless to say, we won't do that again

Anne Sainsbury South Jordan, UT

We recently purchased a Nissan Rogue and we absolutely love it! We have had zero problems with it and one of the best parts in my mind is that it is not overly expensive to have work done on it (unlike some other car brands).

Kori Travis FL

For as long as I’ve been driving I have always been a Nissan customer. These cars are long lasting and have minor issues

BaiLeY WiLsOn Dickinson, TX

My family has had two Nissans one was very reliable the other was not. I think it depends on the year and the make.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

Our last SUV was a Nissan -- great vehicle for commuting and going through snow, when necessary. My daughter liked it so much that she bought a Nissan car to replace the one that was stolen in Baltimore. Dependable, nice looking, lots of great features, and easy and comfortable to drive.

Stephanie Byrd Miami, FL

Nissan is known for its efficiency and longevity. I love all of the models. These vehicles can last for years and thousands of miles. Everyone in my family owns at least one Nissan because we can attest to how reliable the vehicles are. From everyday usage to road trips, Nissan has had me covered with little to no problems.

Shelli Barnes

Nissan has a very good reputation, they dont end up in the shop very often except for routine maintenance. They can go for hundreds of miles. Someone had a truck that had over 500,000 miles on it. They have very good warranties. My Nissan has a lifetime warranty on the drive train which I've never heard of before, plus I have 5yrs. Of free maintenance. What I dont like is having no CD player. They must think everyone was born with a computer in their hand and that everyone can download music. They are catering to the younger generation and dont care about the older generation who have a lot of now useless CDs

Billy J Humphries

I recently bought a Nissan Rogue. I have been very pleased with my purchase. I was impressed by the knowledgeable salesmen. In the past I have felt with many salesmen and many tactics of salesmen to try to get you to buy their car. Many were high pressure salesmen who tried to intimidate you into buying a car. There was none of that at the Nissan dealership. They took their time explaining the features of the vehicle and funding out what features you are looking for.

Amanie Crosbie ,

The first car my daughter purchased was a 2015 Nissan Altima. My husband and I wanted a reliable car that we knew she could use and be safe in while away at college. We loved it and put over 10,000 miles on it before my daughter sold it to her cousin to use while she left the country to travel for a couple of years. If we had not needed to sell it my second daughter would happily be driving it.

Keiana Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I have a Nissan and I love it. It never gives me any problems and i refill my gas like once a month

Rhona Leffler Olney, MD

I own a 2010 Nissan Armada with over 200,000 miles on it. The vehicle is reliable and has had no major mechanical issues. Its a big vehicle, but very comfortable and easy to drive.

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

I did not have a good experience with the service at Bob Bell's Nissan. But I LOVE the dealership on Security Blvd. They have always been super helpful and most importantly TRUSTWORTHY. Don't use Bob Bell's!

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

I have loved my Nissan car. It has caused me no problems and is very comfortable. I love the layout and the extra feature like heated/cooled seats. I also love the durability of the car has a whole.

Frederline Jean Jacksonville, FL

I love that Nissan is a great, quality car and they look amazing! The newer models look great and have a lot of features and a beautiful high tech dashboard. The company could provide better and cheaper service.

Mayowan Kenobi Puyallup, WA

I purchased a 2020 Nissan Frontier in November 2020. Thus far, I am very happy with the vehicle. I was looking for a truck that did not have to many gadgets and was just focused on being a reliable truck. The Frontier is easy to drive and fits my family of three very well. The factory installed blown in bed liner is one of the best features.

Tia Maria Atlanta, GA

I like the quality of a Nissan vehicle. Our upkeep is usually confined to oil changes and tire rotations. Also, new tires when needed and the last few sets bought from Nissan dealer with competitive price.

Mickey Mangum Long Beach, MS

I owned two separate Nissan Frontier pickup trucks and both were really good vehicles. The only reason I traded was due to needed something larger. Both got excellent gas mileage and I never had any issues with either of them.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

Purchased a Nissan Titan XD about 1 year ago and it has performed pretty much as well as I had hoped. The gas mileage is quite low (16.5 hwy/city) but the truck has plenty of power and handles nicely. We will soon be buying a travel trailer and will use this truck to tow it around the western USA. It should be up to the task.

Cristi Stafford

I love nissans. I have owned a few of them and have loved each of them. When it was time to buy my daughters first car last year my husband and I knew exactly what it would be. A Nissan Altima. We knew it would be a good dependable and safe car for our 16, and she has loved it. She now wants a newer Altima for her graduation gift.

michael

i've been dealing with these people for about ten years (leasing,owner), and i can only recall one rather awkward incident. my vehicles have always been top shelf as far as reliance and dependability go, and the techs and writers were never there to try to pull off a fast one

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I bought my first car with Nissan. I had absolutely no experience and they took great care of me. I felt like I got a good deal and a great car. I have had no issues for as long as I’ve had my car- over 7 years. They offer deals for oil changes and I have done it through them multiple times. They take great care of me and my car.

Desiree Pleasant Grove, UT

We have two Nissans and it's probably our favorite car brand. Really nice cars at a pretty affordable price. We have one Nissan that's been working for over 11 years now, and it still works great. We have a Nissan Altima and it works great and it looks awesome. Our next car will probably be another Nissan!

Mason Mitchell Fayetteville, AR

I currently drive a Nissan Altima and I love the car. It gets great gas mileage and I have never had any maintenance issues. The only thing I dislike about it is there are many blind spots, so sometimes it is hard to see other cars when driving.

take7 Sandy, UT

The Rogue and Altima were amazing! Still have the car. Only reason no longer have the rogue is because it could no longer hold the whole family. It was built strong and sturdy. It was great on road trips and just perfect for us and a child. Great gas mileage and we always serviced it and never had any other repair problems. Great looking inside too. Cost was worth it and affordable.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I own a Nissan Armada right now and I owned a Nissan Maxima in the past. Both cars have been great in their own way. The Maxima for being sporty, ran great, comfort inside and look. The Armada for family comfort, lots of space, power to tow or pull almost anything and to easily make it up mountain passes. Also the look and quality of craftsmanship, I love the leather interior and both cars lasted and are lasting a long time.

Brycen Blater Phoenix, AZ

Really great company! The Nissan I have was a good price and has lasted me well. Would buy another Nissan.

KS Orem, UT

We have had a couple Nissans in our time and they have all been wonderful cars! They're very dependable.

Morgan Huff Phoenix, AZ

Nissan has always been my go to car. I have had Altima’s for my past several vehicles. They are reliable, comfortable and, keep up with the competition.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

I owned a Nissan Sentra for a number of years. It was an overall good quality sedan though I eventually moved on to trying a different car. Held decent value when I went to go sell it.

Mike

Awesome car buying experience. Nissan has been great to work with. They were polite, great dealing with my family including an infant child. Very happy with the service we reciwved in purchasing our vehicle.

Royal A. Brown III

Excellent service of my Nissan Titan PU - love the Truck - great looks, fit & finish, performance, reliability - only disappointment is gas mileage which they hopefully have helped with new 7 speed transmission.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

I currently drive a Nissan Maxima and love it! It is the best car that I have owned. It is very roomy and comfortable-even to those who are sitting in the back seat. The trunk is large for a car the size that it is. It's great. I love my Maxima!

Wendy Smullin Logan, UT

We purchased a 2019 Rogue, which we love! We have tall kids and they fit so well in the backseat. We have been impressed with the power, handling and safety of this car. Nissan hit a home run with the Rogue.

Ruby H Lehi, UT

Nissan cars will go forever and ever! And when they break down they are inexpensive to fix (compared to other cars I've driven) I had a Nissan Sentra in college and it felt safe and comfortable, looked nice and it was affordable. I'd definitely drive one of these again.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Nissan was a durable car, and drove longer than most vehicles out there. I had it for over 250 thousand miles. It was very economical on gas and the car was very roomy and comfortable. The price was good but the reliability was excellent.

Amanda Hodges Little Rock, AR

I own a Nissan Altima and I love it. It is a mid-size car and gets great gas mileage. I have had no issues with my car. I have only had to do regular, minor maintenance on my car. I had to ride in the back seat and was surprised with how much room it had. It is great for travailing and has a huge trunk and I get compliment on the color of my car as well. It is dark blue but looks black. I will drive this car long after it has been paid off.

tania moe Memphis, TN

Great service, even better vehicle. I own a Nissan Juke and I love everything about it, except for one item- the headlights cannot be changed out unless you take it into a shop/dealer, or you are a mechanic. Other than that I've only had great things to say about Nissan brand, vehicles, and service.

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

Bought my 1st Nissan a few years back and it's been an amazing car. I had always wanted an Nissan Altima with hands free and a sunroof and it did not disappoint. Love driving the car and have never had issues with it other than normal wear and tear. I was even able to talk my father in law into buying a Frontier when he was looking for a truck.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I had a great experience with Nissan. I hate car shopping, but they made the experience a great one. I bought a Nissan Altima and it has been my favorite car I have ever owned. When it’s time to buy a new car I will definitely be going back to Nissan.

Madelyn Moselle, MS

I recently purchased a Nissan kicks! 2019 I'm quite pleased with my little crossover. However, the one complaint I do have is when I took it to have it service at 5000 miles. The part that holds the hood up that little arm was bent. I did take it back and they were fixed it with no problems

fabulous_finn Gaithersburg, MD

I love my Nissan Rogue! My family and I have always bought from Nissan, and I find their cars to be both affordable and durable. My only gripe is with the local Maryland dealerships. I understand that they are commission-based, but I do not like being treated like a sack of money to be emptied.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

My first car was a Nissan Sentra and I loved it! I had no problems with this car and it lasted a very long time. It’s a great drive and the best car I have ever had! My mom also had a Nissan Altima and my younger sister has a Nissan Sentra. I love this car brand!

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I am currently driving a Nissan Armada. It has a few years and miles on it, but it has been the perfect family car. It has the room I need and is very powerful. It makes me feel secure as it is also built well and looks good.

Terra Stanko Hyrum, UT

I have a Nissan Quest Van and I absolutely love it. So reliable, and not too bad with gas milage. It drives super well, and I rarely have any problems with it. I've had it for a couple years and it still looks pretty new. Comfortable to drive in when driving long distances.

Naomi Colorado Springs, CO

We purchased a Nissan Titan from the dealer. We love the truck but the description told us the driver's seat had automatic adjustment and it did not. However, the vehicle runs great and we have enjoyed using it thus far. Also, beware of the salesmen. They promised a rebate and we had to remind them several times about that condition before they actually processed the rebate.

Michael Perez Glenshaw, PA

While I had my permit I drove dozens of different vehicles since everyone in my family likes a different brand/style of car. When it came time to purchase my own car I went with a Nissan because they're reliable, well priced, and just feel great to drive.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

Right now I have a Nissan Armada and I have had it for 9 years and it almost has 200,000 miles. It has worked great for me and my family as it has room and my tall kids can ride in the last row of seats and still have room. looks good, runs good, and has a lot of power.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

We purchased a used Nissan Maxima 10 years ago. We have put 150,000 additional miles on it and its still going strong! I'm a strong believer now in the Nissan name brand. It has been durable through the Utah weather each winter. We are so happy we decided to purchase this car.