Lexus Logo

Lexus

7.6

Lexus’ commitment to design, comfort, and reliability makes it one of the top luxury brands for consumers. The Lexus LS 400 was the first vehicle to arrive in the United States in 1989. The Japanese car brand now sells its Lexus vehicles in more than 70 countries.

Toyota Motor Corporation owns and operates Lexus as its luxury vehicle division. Lexus seeks a standard of perfection and examines every vehicle engine to minimize future problems. The company innovates to stay ahead but slowly introduces new changes to ensure dependability.

The Lexus RX is the automaker’s best-selling vehicle in the United States. Lexus was the first to introduce the luxury hybrid and continues to excel in that vehicle segment. Customers express overall satisfaction with Lexus’ performance and comfort.

Keep reading our Lexus review to learn more about the pros and cons of owning a Lexus or skip to the Lexus reviews.

The Good

• High-Demand Hybrid Models
  • Low-Cost Maintenance
  • Resale Value
  • Luxury Features
  • Safety Technology
  • Vehicle Warranty
  • Leasing Options
  • Consumer Satisfaction

High-Demand Hybrid Models

Lexus pioneered the luxury hybrid. Lexus released its first hybrid vehicle in 2004 — the Lexus Rx 400. A Lexus hybrid has impressive fuel economy and power. A Lexus hybrid uses a Nickel-Metal-Hydride battery that is recyclable and reliable. These batteries have been used in hybrid vehicles for over 10 years and continue to prove effective.

Lexus currently sells six different hybrid models in sedan and SUV crossover models. The Lexus ES Hybrid has the best fuel economy with 44 mpg on the highway. Customers looking for a luxury hybrid model will find some of the most reliable vehicles at Lexus.

Low-Cost Maintenance

Luxury vehicles are notoriously known for their high repair costs. For example, according to Motor1, a BMW owner may pay $1,000–$1,700 per year for repair and maintenance over the lifespan of the car. Lexus has the advantage over most luxury brands as a division of Toyota. The repair cost for Lexus owners is about $600 per year on average. This makes a Lexus vehicle much more affordable to own and highlights its overall reliability.

Resale Value

Similar to Toyota, Lexus has a lower depreciation rate compared to other car companies. A good resale value is difficult to find in the luxury car market. Consistent reliability makes Lexus a great car to own and sell later on. Some Lexus models are known to last over 200,000 miles. The Lexus GS was named the Best Luxury Car Resale Value for 2020 by Kelly Blue Book based on the resale value after five years of ownership.

Luxury Features

Lexus provides luxury features for the driver and the passengers. Customers can expect many standard luxury features on the base model with options to upgrade to a higher trim level. For example, the Lexus RX 350 comes with climate control for the front and rear seat areas. This allows for optimal comfort for the driver and passengers. The model also comes with a reclining second row, power-adjustable front seats, and a leather-trimmed steering wheel. Many vehicles come with standard all wheel drive. Buyers can upgrade the entire vehicle to a premium or luxury package to include more luxury features.

Safety Technology

Automakers are constantly seeking new ways to protect drivers. Lexus provides many of the same safety features as other major car brands. Standard safety features include the following:

• Collision avoidance with pedestrian detection
  • Lane departure alert
  • Road sign assistance
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Automatic high beams
  • Blindspot monitoring with rear cross-traffic alert
  • Rear parking sensors

The only safety feature that is not included in standard vehicles is automatic emergency braking. Individuals can upgrade their trim level to include this feature.

Lexus has its own safety alert system called the Lexus Enform Safety Connect. New car owners receive a 3 to 10-year subscription to safety connect depending on the vehicle. Lexus Enform Safety Connect allows drivers to locate their stolen vehicle, contact emergency service with an SOS button, contact roadside assistance, and receive a monitored response in the event of a collision. Other automakers have similar programs, but will usually make drivers pay extra in the first year or two.

Vehicle Warranty

Every Lexus vehicle comes with a basic warranty for four years of 50,000 miles. The powertrain warranty covers six years or 70,000 miles. Lexus has been recognized as one of the 10 Best Luxury Car Warranties according to Autobytel. Owners don’t need to worry about a rusty exterior because Lexus includes a Corrosion Perforation Warranty for six years with no mileage limit.

Lexus includes the first and second scheduled maintenance visits with the purchase of a new vehicle. If you buy a Lexus Hybrid, the hybrid vehicle system comes with an eight year or 100,000 miles warranty to cover hybrid components such as the battery and inverter. Lexus warranties are superior to many of its luxury competitors such as BMW and Audi.

Leasing Options

Lexus provides leasing options for those who want to drive a Lexus without paying the full vehicle price. U.S. News named the Lexus UX one of the best cars to lease as of January 2021. Lexus offers a quiz on its website to help you determine if leasing or buying is the right option for you. Drivers can benefit from flexible payment options and a lower initial payment when leasing through Lexus Financial Services.

Consumer Satisfaction

Lexus has over 60 reviews on BestCompany.com. With a 4.9 out of 5-star rating, customer reviews repeatedly highlight a positive ownership experience. Customers reviews mention advantages such as a smooth ride, vehicle reliability, few mechanical issues, and helpful customer service.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Van M.

“I have loved Lexus. It has lasted me a long time and has had very few problems. I have driven it a lot and it is not only a really smooth ride but also a safe car.”

The Bad

High Initial Cost

Lexus has a similar quality to Toyota vehicles, but a much higher price tag. The luxury features significantly increase the total vehicle MSRP. When buying a Lexus, consumers should be ready to pay double to triple the price of a standard sedan, hybrid, or crossover. However, the Lexus lineup is well priced compared to other luxury brand vehicles.

The Bottom Line

If you are okay with the high price tag, Lexus is a great option for a vehicle that is luxurious and reliable. Once you purchase the car, you will find that vehicle upkeep is easy and inexpensive compared to other luxury brands. With Lexus, you get to experience the reliability of Toyota coupled with the comfort of luxury car brands.

Read through our Lexus reviews below to learn about real customer experiences with the Lexus brand. If you are ready to take the next steps towards owning a new Lexus, visit a local Lexus dealership to test drive and discuss pricing options.

View Best Car Brands

4.8

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

We have had a Lexus for 4 years. It is well built, well thought out and full of innovations. The car is safe and a pleasure to drive. We bought the car used, it was a one owner car that was bought at the dealership and returned as a trade at the same dealership for a newer Lexus. The dealer had provided all service for the vehicle since new. We were able to buy it from the same dealership just after it had been traded in. It had not been cleaned or readied for show. The ES350 was obviously well taken care of with 65k miles. We purchased the car for $17000 including a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. We have continued to use the dealership for major routine maintenance. We have no complaints about the vehicle and will drive it for many years to come. Currently with 95K miles everything is still tight, no rattles or annoying noises. The only thing we have had to replace other than oil is 2 batteries, first within month of buying it and just again this year. 4 years on a battery for a car with this many electronics is reasonable.

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

Lexus makes an amazing car. Same reliability as a Toyota with more luxurious features and better engine performance. Really fun car to drive. I had the GS330 and I would get it again in a heartbeat if I needed a car right now. If you're looking at Lexus, you might be thinking about BMW or Mercedes as well. The general consensus I have found is that BMW is a driver's car whereas Mercedes focuses on cool features and creature comforts. I think Lexus does both of those very well and offers more affordability in costs after purchase. BMW is insanely expensive to fix if something does go wrong.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have owned a Lexus vehicle for about ten years now. I have always enjoyed each make and model of the Lexus beguiling have owned. They are very well built and drive smooth. The power and reliability have always been something I can trust with these cars.

Lmt3 Provo, UT

I wanted a car that had the same smooth ride as a Cadillac without being a Cadillac. Lexus does that. It provides the luxury I was looking for. The car has performed very well. When it comes time to replace my current car, it will definitely be replaced with another Lexus.

Bobbie Budgett

Purchase of a certified use vehicle. The purchase of this vehicle brought back memoties of my last vehicle. This was advertised as a high end product abd i was treated with much excellent care abd respect. I was able to obtain this product at a readonable price with low mileage. I was treated as if i had purchased a brand new vehicle . It included remainder of manufactures warranty with option to purchase extended warrsnty. The sskeoerson was so patient whike explaining all the bells/whisyles. He set up and programmed my sattalite radio, showed me how to set up my Bluetooth, as well as other features that are part of the car. This was a non pressure sale and once I signed all the necessary paperwork, my picture was taken with a big red bow on top of the car. What a surprise. I was given a tour of their service department and explained all emenities I am afforded. What a way to make customers feel important. The vehicle was presented to washed and Vaccuumed. I was elated with their customer service. I hadn't been treated that well for a purchase since my last vehicle purchase.

Van M. Orem, UT

Teri M. Logan, UT

I had a Lexus RX300 and it was by far my favorite car. It was so comfortable to drive and ran so smooth. I never had any mechanical issues with it. I would have kept it forever if it had a 3rd row for additional children. I think I will buy another one when all my kids leave the house.

Ashley Ulibarri Los Angeles, CA

I have owned and leased Lexus cars for over the last 10 years and have loved my experience with each car. Not only do these cars look amazing but they are so comfortable to drive in. Reliability and safety are extremely important to me as well and these cars excel in both these areas.

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

these cars are great. Knowing how safe they are as a family car gives me the confidence I need traveling with a baby on road trips.

Sandy Wight Lynnwood, WA

We love our LexusNXT. It’s been an awesome car for the past few years. The dealership is always friendly and great customer service.

Devin Smith Lake Stevens, WA

The most luxurious car that you can get, without spending as much as you would think. Nothing has broke down in the first few years. Continual maintence which isn't expensive, and the car still feels brand new every day!

Seth S Sandy, UT

The purchasing experience was extremely fast. I was able to do pretty much everything online. Service appointments are easy to schedule and the staff, both sales and service, is friendly and knowledgeable.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I bought my first Lexus three months ago and absolutely love it. We ended up buying the GX model and are really happy with it. It has great storage in the back, drives like a dream, and has pretty decent gas mileage for an SUV. I definitely recommend.

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

Lexus service department is top notch. They can fix the easy and the difficult to diagnose problems. I always feel like its money well spent.

Isaac Garrett American Fork, UT

Lexus makes a very dependable car. My dad has owned a Lexus since 2002 and two and it still looks great and runs better.

Kim Young Little Rock, AR

I've had my Lexus for more than 10 years and never had any problem with it. The local dealership also takes excellent care of me whenever it is time for a service.

Elaine Cullen

I have had great experiences with Lexus. I love the car. It is my third in 6 years. They are easy to work with when purchasing the car and the service and staff are exceptional.

Renee King Baltimore, MD

I’ve had the opportunity to own and drive a Lexus twice in my life. It is the ultimate luxury experience! The interior was soft and comfortable with all the bells and whistles. My favorite feature was the seats that both heat and cool! A smooth ride that handles well on the road is definitely what you get when you purchase and drive a Lexus.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

Lexus offers a top quality vehicle. As I visited a local dealer, I found their interiors are very comfortable and their accents on the dashboard and elsewhere are "first quality". The outside of the vehicle is modern looking and attractive. I found the pricing to be a bit high but this would be expected given the quality of the product. A car purchase definately worth considering!

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I loved my Lexus. I only had it for a couple of years, but I loved the style and craftsmanship. It was full of luxury inside and out. ran so smooth and made me feel like a million bucks driving it. I liked the way it handled and I liked all of the extras, like the headlights that were so powerful and adapted to the situation.

Amber Thompson Show Low, AZ

I love all the Lexus vehicles I have. They are amazing cars, and the customer service is impeccable!!!

J$ ,

They offer the best services and guest interaction that I've ever had with a dealership.

Kevin Liu Sandy, UT

I have owned a Lexus is250 in the past and I love how the chairs hug your back. This car was very responsive to corners and accelerates fast.

Darla Batchler

Excellent cars, quality, a standard car is luxurious and has so many options I can't even use them all :). Love how well they drive and they are fun :)

kylie bodell Los Angeles, CA

From the quality to the luxurious style of the cars to the service that Lexus provides you can’t go wrong with Lexus! The service department is very knowledgeable and friendly.

Ellen Morris Potomac, MD

Lexus is everything I need and want. They combine luxury and performance incredibly well with reliability. Their cars have a timeless design and their cars are the smoothest I have ever driven in.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

Lexus cars are engineering masterpieces. They look great and luxuries and send a statement that you have arrived. They are fun to drive and handle great and are dependable for many many years.

Tracy Hill Draper, UT

I love Lexus. I love the style of their cars and how I can always get my questions answered regarding this brand. I feel like these cars are the most reliable cars I have driven.

Tagg Ogden, UT

Lexus is a premium car and has some nice features. I think they money spent on those upgrades from a Toyota aren't really worth it though.

Mel Brodsky Philadelphia, PA

I was T-boned by a car going through a red light at 50 miles an hour. My Lexus 350 saved my life. Will be buying a new one as mine was totaled.

Sloan Janelle Coleman

I have had positive interactions with the company. The improvements I would recommend is lowering the cost of general maintenance on the car.

Ron Vincent Cheyenne, WY

We are driving our 3rd Lexus and have never driven a more comfortable and dependable auto. Larry H Miller is a great company to buy from and care for your car

terryjamison Gulfport, MS

Lexus are very safe vehicles. Highly recommend for your child. When picking out my daughters, the staff was very nice and reasonable on price negotiations.

Aimee Mortensen Salt Lake City, UT

My Lexus is stylish, dependable, and gets great MPG. It’s comfortable for driver and all passengers, and I love the seat warmers/coolers, and steering wheel heater.

Amanda Montebello, CA

I have driven my family’s car often and enjoy the comfort of the interior. We’ve had it for around 10 years and it still works well with little to no mechanical issues.

Arielle Lawson Jacksonville, FL

Lexus is a trustworthy and reliable brand. The cars are safe, luxurious, and up to date. My first Lexus was a gift and I plan to purchase my own soon.

Sarah Holton Sandy, UT

Lexus is so reliable, comfortable and luxurious! I am never worried about my safety in my Lexus.

Michele

I absolutely love my car and love Lexus. I've always been treated very well at the dealership when I've needed service.

Gloria Bishop

Lexus of Cool Springs is an excellent company to do business with, they always make you feel they care

Jodi Howard Salt Lake City, UT

I have driven a Lexus since 2000. I’ve had three of them and wouldn’t drive anything else. Their costumer service is wonderful!

Randi Nelson Managua, MN

My Lexus is a high quality car! The fabric is so soft on the seats. I would recommend this car it has lasted for a long time without having problems!

Mykahla Nelson Managua, MN

I have driven my aunts Lexus a ton and I live how it drives! The car drives so smooth and you can hardly hear the outside road.

Maria Dolet Gaithersburg, MD

I have owned two Lexus RX 350 I have very good experience very reliable car I love my Lexus and will continue to get Lexus cars they are the best

Asia Bui Gulfport, MS

Everyone in my family has a Lexus! They are such a nice and luxurious car to have. Very reliable and safe for all of us grandchildren

Sara Smith Riverton, UT

I love how smooth and quite the Lexus is. I don't own one yet but after my experience of riding in them they are on the top of my list.

Juan Beaver, PA

If you want luxury, this is the car for you. The price tag does match the car. It is expensive to maintain, but the features and overall car makes up for it.

Monica Bertha Encinitas, CA

I love Lexus! They just drive so smoothly and they are so sleek looking. We’ve had our Lexus for 10 years and it works great!

Phyllis Hecht Lincoln, CA

I have a Lexus which is a Toyota product. I could not be happier with my Lexus. It is so dependable and I feel safe in it. It is a wonderful car!

Janice Tompkins

Great service department, always helpful! Easy to contact when traveling away from home.

olderwiser1

Wonderful experience for twenty years. Service department and sales are equally top notch.