Kia Logo

Kia

7.5

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021

Kia is known for its unconventional path to the automotive industry. Kia first started as a steel and bicycle manufacturer — creating Korea’s first bicycle in 1951. Kia eventually expanded its product line to offer motor scooters. As its confidence grew, Kia continued to innovate, one wheel at a time. In the following years, Kia started offering motorcycles, three-wheeled cargo vehicles, and finally, four-wheel automobiles. Kia was the first company to manufacture passenger vehicles in Korea.

Kia was initially recognized as a “budget-friendly” car brand. Since Hyundai acquired Kia in 1998, Kia has experienced major improvements in its design, warranty, and reliability. Kia's lineup includes SUVs, crossovers, sedans, hybrids, electrics, hatchbacks, and minivans. With models starting at $16,000 MSRP, many consumers can find the right price and size to fit their needs.

Keep reading our Kia review to learn more about the pros and cons of owning a Kia or skip to the Kia Vehicle Reviews section to learn more about the customer experience.

The Good

• Satisfied Customer Reviews
  • Competitive Car Warranty Offer
  • Hybrid Vehicle Options
  • Award Recognition
  • Convenient User Technology
  • Advanced Safety Features

Satisfied Customer Reviews

Customers are the best indicators of a brand’s ability to deliver on its promises.  Kia ranks within the top 10 car brands at bestcompany.com. Positive reviews highlight the smooth ride, good fuel economy, high value, and trusted reliability of Kia vehicles.

Review Icon

Customer Review: A’lea

“Very reliable car and company. Great on gas. Every time I take my car to get serviced at Kia I receive the best treatment and care.”

Review Icon

Customer Review: Alyssa

“Kia is amazing! I drive a Kia now, and it is super spacious and super cute! I also got it for a great price and FREE oil changes whenever I need it! I would definitely recommend this car company to all new drivers!”

Competitive Car Warranty Length

When you purchase a Kia vehicle, you will receive a 10-year or 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. This is one of the longest warranty plans in the car industry. Most car companies offer an average 3-year warranty plan for new vehicles. Kia warranty also includes a 5-year/60,000 miles limited basic warranty, 5-year/100,000 mile limited anti-perforation warranty, and 5-year/60,000 mile roadside assistance plan. As long as you service your car through Kia dealerships, you can enjoy the full benefits of the Kia warranty.

• Emergency roadside assistance — Receive added peace of mind with emergency roadside assistance. This assistance can be used for minor to large emergencies. Call Kia’s network of over 17,000 partners to get help replacing a flat tire or any other emergency car troubles. The team is on call 24 hours a day and during all major holidays to help you whenever you find yourself stuck on the side of the road.
  • Trip interruption — Kia wants drivers to feel ready to hit the open road. If anything warranty-related happens to your car while you are at least 150 miles away from your home, Kia will pay for food, lodging, or rental cars if the technicians can’t repair the damage within 24 hours.

Note: Kia warranty does not cover collision damage, wear and tear damage, or improper owner maintenance. The warranty coverage is not fully transferable and greatly decreases if you sell your Kia before the 10-year warranty expires.

Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Options

Reduce your CO2 emissions and save on car ownership fees with a hybrid or electric vehicle. With government incentives and improved innovation, electric vehicles are becoming a popular choice for car buyers.

Kia competes against major auto manufacturers in the race to build the best fuel-efficient vehicle. Kia currently offers five hybrid/electric vehicle options. These include the Kia Niro, Kia Optima Hybrid, Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid, Kia Optima Plug-In Hybrid, and the Kia Niro EV. Kia plans to release 16 more vehicle options including new hybrid and EV models by 2025.

The Niro is one of the longest-range electric vehicles on the market in 2020. A full charge on a Kia Niro EV can last up to 239 miles. Excluding Tesla models, the Kia Niro has a competitive electric mode range with other top cars lasting between 200-300 miles on a single charge.

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

Kia makes it easy to keep your car charged and moving. Kia has over 26,000 Level 2 outlets spread across the nation. The company continues to expand its network of charging stations each year. Charge at home, work, or nearby stations to avoid unnecessary complications to your day.  Find a Kia charging station near you with an app such as Plug and Share.

Setting up an at-home car charging station is easy with Kia’s Amazon partnership. After purchasing your electric vehicle, you can order a charging cable through Amazon. Pick a date and time for a licensed electrician to install the outlet. The installation is backed by Amazon’s Happiness Guarantee. If you aren’t satisfied with the service, Amazon will correct the problem or give you a full refund.

Award Recognition

After significant design improvement in the early 2000s, Kia has fought its way to the top of the charts. Kia has received a number of awards showcasing its excellent design and performance. Below are some of the most recent awards recognizing Kia’s fine craftsmanship.

• Few Vehicle Issues for Owners — Kia’s ranked #1 in J.D. Power’s 2020 Initial Quality Survey (IQS). The award is determined by sending out a survey to new car owners asking if there are any vehicle problems. Kia’s owners reported the least number of car issues.
  • Top Car for Dog Lovers — Autotrader named the Kia Soul one of the 10 best cars for dog lovers. The open cargo space and safety features make the Kia Soul an enjoyable ride for drivers and pets.
  • High-Performance Interior — The Kia Telluride was listed as one of the 10 best vehicle interiors by Wards Auto. Lined with leather upholstery, the Kia Telluride has impressive storage capacity with the ability to comfortably seat up to eight passengers. Equip with a V6 engine and all-wheel drive, the Telluride is a top choice for adventure-seeking families.
  • Top Car for College Graduates — Kia provides ideal car options for new graduates. Autotrader named the Kia Seltors one of the 10 best cars for recent college graduates. The SUV crossover is affordable, functional, and bold — perfect for the start of a new life chapter.
  • World Car of the Year — In 2020, the Kia Telluride received the “World Car of the Year” award. This is the first time that Kia has received recognition from this organization of over 82 international automotive journalists.
  • World Urban Car — Kia also received the “World Urban Car” award for its Kia Soul.

Convenient User Technology

Kia’s cars come with standard features that make owning a car simple. Connect the Kia app to your vehicle to experience the full benefits of Kia’s UVO technology, including the following features:

• Navigation — On the Kia app, you can input your top locations for easy access. You don’t need to rely on faulty smartphone connections to display your directions.
  • Car reminder — Is it time for an oil change or tire rotation? Your vehicle will automatically send alerts when it’s time for maintenance.
  • Parking trackers — You no longer need to honk your horn to find your car. Kia installs parking trackers into your car so you can keep your park location active on the Kia app.
  • Electric vehicle charging — Get updates on your charge status straight to your phone through the UVO link app. The app also allows you to schedule charging times so you can charge during off-peak hours.
  • Remote vehicle access — The days of locking your keys in the car are over. With the UVO app, you can lock or unlock your vehicle straight from your smartphone. You can also monitor if a door or truck has been left open.
  • Temperature control — Warm up or cool down your car to the perfect temperature with the UVO link. The app works by sending remote commands to power up your HVAC system.

Advanced Safety Features

Kia's lineup comes with standard safety features found in similar car brands. These include features such as traction control, electronic stability control, and brake-force distribution standard across all Kia models. Kia also offers advanced safety features through the Kia Drive Wise. The following safety features benefit those who desire more confidence on the road:

• Blind spot monitoring — Sensors on the bumper will detect cars in your vehicle blind spot. You will receive a warning if you are changing lanes while another car is in your blind spot.
  • Collision avoidance — The collision avoidance feature alerts drivers quickly approaching an oncoming vehicle and automatically applies the emergency brakes when needed.
  • Adaptive cruise control — The adaptive cruise control automatically adjusts your cruise control based on the speed of the vehicle ahead.
  • Lane departure warning and assist — This feature detects lane markers and sends alerts if the driver is moving outside of the lane. If the car continues to steer outside the line, a slight adjustment on the steering wheel will prevent further drift.

The Bad

Fire Risk Recall

In 2020, Hyundai and Kia issued a recall on over 600,000 vehicles for suspected fire risk. Companies are concerned about a brake fluid leak that could lead to an electrical short in the car. The recall is for three vehicles: the Kia Optima (2013-2015), Kia Sorento (2014-2015), and Hyundai Santa Fe Sport (2013-2015). These companies are also facing a class-action lawsuit related to the fire danger.

The Bottom Line

Kia cars receive the credit they deserve. Thanks to new design upgrades and the Hyundai merger, Kia has become a top competitor in the U.S. car market. If you are looking for a sedan, SUV, or hybrid, Kia is a great option for a vehicle that is both reliable and sleek. You also wont have to pay top dollar for quality. Many car companies have issued recalls within the last 20 years, so the fire risk recall should not deter you from choosing Kia. However, we recommend avoiding a used Kia model created during the recall years.

Read through our Kia reviews below to learn about customer experiences with the brand. If you are ready to take the next steps towards owning a Kia, visit a local Kia dealership to test drive and discuss pricing options.

View Best Car Brands

Mona-Lissa Tallahassee, FL

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Kia is my favorite car brand by far!!! My first car was a kia soul, when I got into an accident I ended up going and getting the exact same car because I just love them so much! I also just appreciate how the brand has great customer service when I have a problem with my car.

Simone Harris Tallahassee, FL

This company has been reliable with great customer service in my interactions with them. The car I purchased from them has great mileage and is very user-friendly.

Cris Balmanno Riverton, UT

Kia Sedona was amazing! It lasted us 13 years before it started having electrical issues that weren't worth diagnosing/fixing.

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

My 2014 Kia Sportage I bought as my daughter's starter car, the audio system is great, but turning can sometimes be hard, and my daughter complains about rearview visibility.

Traci Nakhon Sawan, 60

My husband owns a Kia that I drive to work occasionally. It is a very nice car with great gas milage. The speakers are amazing and it is pretty spicy which makes it nice for my small family.

Destini Ferguson FL

A great car for a new driver! There are a lot of safety features in the newer model that make me feel at ease while driving. My car requires little maintenance.

Marilynn Green

My parents and myself own Kia. I have a Soul, my parents a Sedona van. We LOVE Kia, they have been extremely dependable and reliable cars with no issues. We change the oil, tires etc. but no other issues. My parents have had their Sedona for 13 years, I bought my Soul when they were first introduced in 2009. The heater/A/C works superbly, which is a big deal for me and we have been nothing but pleased. I will definitely buy Kia again when I go to replace this car! I would NOT buy from my local Kia dealer, they are a bunch of scam artists, but I would buy from the dealer I bought my car from or try another dealer. The local dealer plays a game where you go in for a recall issue, the next thing you know, they are recommending several hundred dollars of work to be done. They told me the last time I was in there for a tire stem recall that my transmission fluid was done for and need to be flushed and replaced. I took it to TWO other mechanics, my transmission AND my fluid was fine.........not the first time I've had that type of issue from the local deal, would NEVER do business with them!

Samantha Fayetteville, AR

I got in a wreck in my Kia Optima (2013) and it was a bad wreck, my car was completely totaled and not drive-able but I was very happy that the airbags deployed and that the car took the impact well. I was hit by a large SUV (Denali) that was going 50 mph and my sister and I were in my car and came out without a scratch. We were very lucky, and I am so grateful that my Kia kept me safe. I got another Kia Optima after the accident because I trust it that much.

Leah Provo, UT

We purchased a Kia Soul earlier this year and have not only been impressed with the vehicle, but also the reputation that the company has for producing high-quality and reliable products.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

We have owned several Kia's (and still do) - Sorrento and Optima. They are great vehicles and you get a lot more (features) for your money compared to other bigger named car companies (Honda, Toyota, etc.). Already planning that our next car will also be a Kia (Telluride)!

Hailey Burt Riverton, UT

Both of my parents have Kias, and they’re pretty good cars. I have driven both of them for years, especially when my car was in the shop. The motorized seats always stop working though, and we’ve had a lot of problems with flat tires. But they’re decent cars.

Jen Burt Herriman, UT

I like that value that Kia cars provide - we own 2 of them. We have had a few cosmetic issues with our Sorrento and Optima - the drivers seats on both cars sometimes don't go back and forth - but for the most part, they are a great value.

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

I bought a 2017 Forte for my daughter. Perfect so far. Great reliability, excellent mileage, nice looking, and reasonable performance. I would buy another. Great warranty!

Laurie Massie Lakeland, FL

We’ve owned two Kias, a Kia Sephia & and a Sedona. LOVED them both!! Both vehicles have been extremely reliable, & the customer service at the Kia dealership/Service Centers have been incredible. Will definitely buy another!!

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

My husband and I bought our first Kia last month and love it so far. The team did a great job helping us safely in quarantine and we love our Telluride. The bucket seats make it easy for my girls to get in and out of the back seat and we have great storage in the rear. We've been happy with the gas mileage and quality of the daily drive and i highly recommend!

Freddy V Provo, UT

My mom drove a Kia and it was the most economic car on gas ever! I would once in a while take it on a ride, and it drove smooth and was way comfortable.

Ralph Junior

Have been driving an 09 Optima Ex for seven years now. I have had no problems with it . I do the regular maintenance on it .Kia make great full size cars .The only issue i would have is that they could use better sound deadening material such as Lexus do

Jessica Archuleta Riverton, UT

Just recently purchase a Kia Sedona. I love it! It is so roomy and fits all 5 of my kids with room to spare! I also was able to fit our mountain bikes in it! I love how roomy it is! Also love the overall look of the interior!

Emily Norton Tucson, AZ

I’ve had my Kia Optima for the last year and half and I’ve loved it so far! Gets great gas mileage, I’ve had no problems with it, and it came with a flat tire repair kit which was a nice plus. From what I’ve seen they’re durable cars that last a long time.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Kia cars honestly have great handling and it is great having so many miles with just one tank. I see them getting better and better over time and I would not mind another Kia. The mileage and smoothness of the ride really make them good cars.

J Sirhan

I purchased my car with them. I received a good deal and the service department is excellent

Jordon Patton Pflugerville, TX

I love Kia. I think they are great quality, easy and inexpensive to maintain, really fun to drive, and beautiful. We love our Kia!

Jared Provo, UT

I drive a Forte right now, and I've had a great experience with the car. It's aesthetically pleasing, and it feels good to drive!

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

My family has a Kia that has lasted for years. We were not the first owners. I feel safe driving it and it hasn’t had any big issues for me.

Joseph R Mattingly

Drove a Kia Spectra from brand new to over 200,000 miles and had very little trouble with it, only thing I didn't like was replacing the timing belt every 60,000 miles, expensive PM

Alyssa Hansel Tallahassee, FL

hmarashi Newark, NJ

My family leased a Kia Sorento for a span of three years, during this time we were struck by hurricane sandy. This car had great mileage which allowed us to go longer without gasoline than others. In a time when gas was a hot commodity, this was invaluable.

mccandless24 American Fork, UT

We really enjoyed the look of the 2020 Telluride but were disappointed when we learned that there was such limited stock. The dealer we were at only had a few and it was very stressful figuring out what to do knowing that if we passed on the vehicle we would lose it. It was not the setup that I wanted inside or my first choice in color but we purchased it anyway. I really wish that when this vehicle was released Kia would have provided more vehicles to be in stock so that we would not have been in the high stress environment we were in when purchasing this car. It created a very bad car buying experience.

FABIO CAVALCANTI Orem, UT

I did a lease a 2017 Kia Sorento for my wife and she loved it. Never had any problems with the car after putting 45K miles on it. Very reliable, awesome customer service. The only downside was the resell value, luckily it was a lease and I just returned it to the dealer

Bill Nelson Sandy, UT

Kia Sportage has a lot of options included in the base model. We opted for the and sport package with leather and turbo engine. Awesome little suv to drive, lots of power and great handling.

Cam McClellan Magna, UT

Kia has really stepped up their game as of late. They make very reliable cars that are starting to look really cool. The new Telluride is amazing and I cannot wait to get one.

Debra Ogden, UT

I have driven a Kia Sorento for 3 years now and I still love it! Lots of nice details for a good price. Great interior and reliability. I love my panoramic sunroof!!! Just wish the gas mileage was a little better...

Nathan D. Warrendale, PA

My first new car experience ever was with a 2009 Kia Soul in Molten red color. I loved this car and got a lot of compliments as it was brand new that year. The car handled well up to about 160k miles at which that time it started breaking down and I traded it in.

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

I had a Kia Rio (that unfortunately was totaled last year) that ran very smoothly. I loved the modern design. It was highly comfortable and quiet. Perfect for a single professional. This car could have used a little more space. Definitely not for someone with kids, but still very nice.

Davis Kartchner Logan, UT

I have a Kia Forte and I have really enjoyed the number of features received for the price of the car. If you are looking for a durable car that won't break the bank, a Kia Forte is a great car to go with. It also gets really good gas mileage.

Sarah Watters Quinlan, TX

We're Kia owners for life now. We had a Kia Sedone minivan and it went 290,000 miles before it finally died. Now we have a new Kia Niro hybrid and we're looking forward to having it for a long, long time as well.

Boston Whipple Provo, UT

I had a Kia that the connection to the battery had corroded and then after that was fixed it still wouldn't start. When we took it to the shop it started right up and I never had any issues again but it was hard to trust it to start after that.

Simone Tallahassee, FL

Great gas mileage; easy to drive; quality software.

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

My current car is a Kia Forte, and I am currently have recurring issues with it. Kia dealerships are always booked for months that I can never get my car issues resolved there.

Tom

I am a customer of their car. I enjoy my car and had very little issues. I do not have to spend on repairs or maintance.

Carter Hudson Norcross, GA

I have ridden in and driven several of their vehicles and have enjoyed them very much. They make long rides enjoyable and they are very fuel-efficient.

Cassie Flammer Logan, UT

Love that it’s affordable even with the upgrades. Love that it accommodates our family and needs and haven’t had one issue over the past five years

Melissa vandenover Saratoga Springs, UT

I LOVE KIA! I own a Telluride and we couldn't be happier! I love the warranty and the service department in our city has been fantastic to work with.

CL1109 Eagle Mountain, UT

I love my Kia Sorento. It gets really good gas mileage, rides smooth and I love the 3rd row and how when I dont need it they go down.. (very easy)

AJ & Maria Ferguson Riverton, UT

We love our Kia Sedona! It is a great vehicle. We have had very little repairs and our minivan has over 190,000 miles. Our next vehicle will definitely be a Kia.

Briauna Norton Jacksonville, FL

I am currently sitting in my Kia as I type this and I absolutely love all of the features this car has. You can tell that safety is the #1 priority in their design.

Janice Genes Hurricane, UT

I bought several kia’s since 2000. Was worth every bit of money. Loved the gas mileage and they had power! The thing that stoped me from still buying them is the service department put a timing chain on and two weeks later the rod went thru my engine!!!! They claimed it wasn’t there fault!!! No more KIA’s for me!!!!

Erika Shumway Managua, MN

I bought a used Kia few years ago and 3 months later the check engine light came on for transmission issues. Turns out that the transmission was out and costs over $2,000 to fix. The car is fairly new, but since it was a used car you never know what to expect. It still drives fine besides the transmission being out.

Imani Monroe Tallahassee, FL

Customer service at Kia is great, they always assist me with my car whenever I have a concern! I really appreciate the time they give to their clients.

Ashley Johnson Las Vegas, NV

We love our Kias in my family! They are great, reliable vehicles, which are very affordable.