Jeep Logo

Jeep

8.0

Jeep is an American automaker owned by Fiat Chrysler and is one of its best-selling brands in the nation. Jeep started as a vehicle used by the U.S. Army during World War II, and the first Civilian Jeep came out in 1945. The company mainly focuses on SUVs but will have a mid-size pickup truck called the Jeep Gladiator for the 2020 model year. The Jeep Wrangler is the company’s signature model.

With a below-average starting MSRP for its lineup, most models are in the standard and compact SUV segment; however, some, like the Jeep Grand Cherokee, are categorized as luxury vehicles. New vehicles come with an average 3-year/36,000-mile warranty and a 5-year/60,000-mile warranty. As the leader in off-road SUV models, Jeep attracts a loyal customer base of outdoor enthusiasts.

Keep reading our Jeep review to learn more about the pros and cons of owning a Jeep or skip to the Jeep reviews

The Good

• Product Specialization
  • Off-Road Performance
  • Safety Features
  • Customization Options
  • Resale Value
  • Vehicle Costs and Repairs

Product Specialization

From its beginnings as an army vehicle, Jeep has stuck with 4x4 SUV and crossover product lines for the most part. The company hasn’t strayed too far from its army and off-road beginnings when it comes to styling and vehicle specs. The automaker offers a total of seven Jeep models including the following:

• Jeep Gladiator
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Jeep Renegade
  • Jeep Cherokee
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
  • Jeep Compass

The Jeep Wrangler is one of the most unique SUV models on the market. No other SUV model allows you to remove the doors for a more open-air experience. This makes it an easy vehicle to transition from smooth highways to muddy back road trails. The Wrangler also has impressive cargo space with 72.4 cubic feet of available space.

Off-Road Performance

Jeep was built as a utility vehicle first, then adapted for a regular daily commute and on-road travel. Few competitors come close when it comes to rugged performance off-road.

Most models have more horsepower when compared to competitors, and upgraded models offer even more power options. All Jeep models come equipped with four wheel drive. Jeeps are also known for superior performance in extreme weather conditions such as flooding or snowstorms.

Jeep has its own metric system called “Trail Rated.” During test drives, Jeep looks at five different components of the vehicle’s trail rating: traction, water fording, maneuverability, articulation, and ground clearance. Vehicles are tested on the Rubicon Trail in California which features a variety of trails and weather conditions.

Safety Features

Jeep’s high clearance vehicles give drivers a wide perspective of the road layout. The Jeep Cherokee is the safest Jeep model in the lineup. The vehicle won the Top Safety Pick award by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety in 2019. The award is only given to top-grade SUV models. Standard Jeep models come with several safety features and optional advanced upgrades depending on trim level. Jeep’s current safety features include the following options:

• Blind spot monitoring
  • Backup camera
  • Parking assist
  • Automated parking
  • Adaptive cruise control
  • Automatic headlamps
  • Electronic stability control

Jeep doesn’t offer as many autonomous safety features compared to other automotive brands. For example, the company does not offer lane departure warning, pedestrian detection, lane guidance assistance, or automatic emergency braking. Since the Jeep brand is focused on building vehicles for off-road capabilities, the company might find it challenging to create autonomous features for all road types.

Customization Options

Jeep drivers are known for their car customizations. Many third-party retailers offer products to customize your Jeep. This includes lights, bigger tires, seat covers, suspension kits, bumpers, tow ropes, and other 4x4 accessories. The simple jeep design makes it easy for all skill levels to add new customizations. These customizations can quickly add up and become rather expensive but also provide a great hobby for car enthusiasts.

Resale Value

Kelly Blue Book named the new 2020 Jeep Wrangler 4-Door “The Best Off-Road SUV for Resale Value.” The company predicts that the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited model will be worth 57.6 percent of its original price after five years of ownership. High resale values signal the sustained popularity of new and used Jeep vehicles. If you enjoy off-roading and you only plan on owning a new vehicle for five years or less, purchasing a Jeep car with a high resale value may be a wise economic decision.

Vehicle Costs and Repairs

According to NerdWallet.com, the Jeep Wrangler is one of the cheapest cars to insure compared to the 25 best-selling models in 2020. Jeep MSRP prices are affordable with a below-average base price compared to similar SUVs. Repair and maintenance costs for owning a Jeep are slightly above the national average. When you do need to make repairs, you will not have a hard time finding available parts and capable mechanics.

The Bad

• Dependability
  • Consumer Satisfaction
  • Sustainable Options
  • Uncomfortable Seating

Dependability

Jeep ranked poorly in the latest JD Power Dependability Study, with much higher than average issues per vehicle. Only Fiat, Land Rover, and Chrysler ranked worse out of 31 car brands involved in the study.

Consumer Satisfaction

In the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index study, Jeep owners gave the brand an average score. It wasn’t the worst score, but not the best. Jeep tied with 8 other brands for the median score.

Sustainable Options

If you are shopping for a sustainable crossover or SUV, you won’t find a viable option with Jeep. It is planning to release several hybrid models within the next few years but does not have any available yet. Although average gas mileage has increased over the last 10 years, Jeep is known for having poor fuel economy because of the design and weight.

Uncomfortable Seating

Some customers complain about the uncomfortable Jeep interior. Jeep’s off-roading capabilities are a trade off for traditional vehicle comfort. For example, the Jeep Wrangler’s upright seats and standard cushions are manufactured to allow for easy clean up and high visibility. However, these seats are often not ideal for long commutes or road trips on highway roads.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Ashlee

“Always love the look of a Jeep! They aren’t super comfortable to ride in but still worth the buy!”

Newer and upgraded models have improved comfort but not to the level of competitors' SUVs. If you are more interested in comfort than off-roading features, you should look into other car brands.

The Bottom Line

Jeep made a name for itself as a truly American product with a focus on adventure. However, the average warranty leaves something to be desired, as does the company’s reputation for poor vehicle dependability. Despite that, we have yet to see a Jeep that doesn’t dominate the competition when it comes to off-pavement performance.

Read through our Jeep reviews below to learn about real customer experiences with the brand. If you are ready to take the next step towards owning a Jeep, visit a local car dealership to test drive and ask about vehicle availability.

View Best Car Brands

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

I have a Jeep Wrangler and man is it fun to drive. I love taking the top off and when I put it back on, the road noise is not too bad. The interiors on the Jeeps are always very simple but work, and that's all I can ask for in a car. I would rather not have something incredibly complex. I used to have a Jeep Cherokee at 100k miles and it was expensive and time-consuming to fix. So I am worried about letting my Jeep get too high in mileage.

Steve Ashby , AZ

I bought my first Jeep in college and I've owned several and I LOVED them all. The Cherokee we had was so fun, and a nice big engine that would shake when it rev'ed. I loved that red beast. Then the Wrangler I bought for my kids to drive though HS was so fun...and had great resale even after 20 years. I love the new vehicles and spent a long weekend roadtrip with a friend in his Rubicon Wrangler and it was so nice! I'm looking forward to my next Jeep.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

Bought the Jeep, loved the Jeep. The brand is really something you can connect to despite what the critics say. Whether you’re a casual owner or a die hard you can find ways to enjoy driving that beats the boring convenience and design of driving a sedan.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I had my red jeep for 15 years! It has been an incredible car and had very few issues! I just sold it to my brother in law and I am so glad it is staying in the family because it is such an amazing car! I drove the car back and forth from coast to coast multiple times and it continues to run great! Jeep is a brand you can trust!

Nicole Johnson Portland, OR

I love all things Jeep. It feels like adventure when I drive a Jeep, and they can handle adverse weather. The thin steering wheel on the Wrangler is comfortable, and being seated higher up on the road feels good. The back seat fits either gear or people, too.

Betty Brigham City, UT

We purchased a 2015 Jeep Charokee Trailhawk. It's like a truck. It's a Jeep. Yes, It's SuperJeep! The undercarriage is lined with steel so that it can go off-road any time. It has all possible 4-wheel drive options for snow, sand, ice, and/or rocks. It has towing capabilities for any of those situations. The performance of this vehicle is terrific. We were run off the road by a school bus and the jeep was able to push through the snow that was up to the top of the hood. We feel safe and secure as we trip across the mountain highway. The interior is full leather with heated seats, heated steering wheel, and cooled seats which gives an amazing and comfortable ride. The customer service is awesome. We were given a very reasonable price to receive extra service past the regular warranty. We love our Jeep Trailhawk! Hope it lasts for a long time.

Nell Damascus, MD

We had a Jeep Cherokee that we bought brand new in1996. We have driven it until 2018. It ran for 22 years and was a durable wonderful vehicle

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

Some parts of Utah are known for offroading and I knew we would be needing to get a Jeep for the best experiences. Sure enough, our Jeep has been fun and reliable.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

We owned a keep liberty for many years. It lasted well and was spacious. It had a stick shift that I didn’t enjoy using, but it was a great car. We did have some issues with the windows rolling up/down.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

The greatest car company out there. There's no feeling like driving a Jeep. Cars are reliable enough while adding an unmatched level of versatility and sport.

Allen Lambert Fayetteville, AR

I have been a big fan of Jeeps for a long time, and have finally come around to having one of my own. This vehicle has been amazing and has handled all terrains that I have taken it on. I would recommend a Jeep to anyone who is looking for a good versatile vehicle.

Christopher Whiting Los Angeles, CA

One of my first cars growing up was a Jeep wrangler, I loved everything about it! I dot in a huge wreck trying to avoid deer on a highway. I went end over end 6 times and was able to just jump out and walk away. I really think the jeep saved my life by being built like a tank. I am a jeep man for life.

Penny

Our experience was great all the way through the car buying progress. The only complaint I have is that the jeep is only a few weeks old and it already has a problem with the engine. After we got an alert about the engine via email we had to have it towed and taken to the Hemet branch for repair. It turns out that it was only a malfunction of the engine light. Even though it turned out to be ok, it put stress on us. We both work and it is difficult to get time off let alone taking even more time to get a rental car. Things worked out and we got the jeep back the same day we took it in. This is the only problem I had and it really shouldn't be a negative impact on the dealership since the problem was found on the jeep itself and the dealership had no way of knowing about this problem since it is so new.

Adrianne murray Brigham City, UT

My husband and I went to Hawaii we rented a jeep on three different islands. My husband kept saying we are going to buy one as soon as we got home. I thought I was joking. We have been the proud owners of a jeep now for Almost 2 years. It did not take us even a month after our trip to buy a jeep. I love driving it and there is definitely a different feel to it. The saying it’s a Jeep thing you wouldn’t understand seems silly. But really everybody Who drives a Jeep waved at each other. It really is a vehicle that we depend on and we are very happy with it. I will say that the jeep doesn’t necessarily have the greatest heat flow in the backseat But definitely not a huge complaint

Nyla C. Tallahassee, FL

Jeeps are durable cars. Jeep vehicles are a common car in my family because of how reliable they are when traveling.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

Another family favorite of ours. We love the dependability and range of use their vehicles have. And the value of the car keeps up.

Isaac Garrett American Fork, UT

Jeep makes a very high quality vehicle, I've owned a couple of their different models. I have a 1984 two door that runs very good. Very nice vehicles.

Lydia Griffin American Fork, UT

They have a wide variety of thrill-seeking vehicles. We have a Jeep Cherokee, and it is perfect for teenagers, it is nice, and is medium sized so you can still haul around friends.

Victoria Fayetteville, AR

I have had a Jeep Wrangler rubicon for four years now. I used to drive a Nissan, but it’s performance does not compare to my jeeps performance. I have never had problems out of my Jeep and I feel so safe in it!

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

I have owned my Jeep Cherokee for five years and I still love it. I have a ton of storage room in the back, it's dependable, and easy to take up into the mountains when we want to go off-road for a bit. I highly recommend.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

I currently own a Jeep Grand Cherokee and LOVE LOVE IT! It has all the upgrades I need, but not too many. It drives really well in all types of weather, and I feel safe driving my family in it.

AF ,

I drove an old Jeep Comanche Truck for about 3 years back in the 90's. I've loved seeing the new Gladiators on the road now! Love the way they look! My old truck was fun too, but it wasn't very practical as a truck (it had rear wheel drive and I remember slipping all over in the snow, even with sandbags). I'm sure the new ones are better!

Robert Collins Long Beach, MS

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler. It's the best car I've ever owned! This car is tough and reliable. It's never left me on the side of the road. Wranglers also hold onto a lot of their value for many years. The car is a joy to drive and I look forward to each time I get to take it out for a bit, no matter what the destination is.

JP

The vehicle has been incredibly reliable (and comfortable) : 92,000 miles in just under 4 years. Customer service, when needed, has been professional, friendly, reasonably priced and very prompt. This has been true at 3 separate dealerships so is apparently a company standard.

Kymberlee Yack Orem, UT

i love love love jeep! my favorie brand of vehicle i've owned. i love sitting high up, and being able to go wherever and do whatever and know i'll be okay. the gas mileage is pretty good also. i plan to stick with jeep for a very long time!

Lizabeth Augustine Holmdel, NJ

I purchased a Jeep in 2002 and it is still running with 255,445 miles on it. It is a quality car. I tell everyone looking to purchase a car just go right to Jeep. We have friends that bought 3 Jeeps at once on our recommendation since they saw my car as living proof. My daughter learned to drive in the Jeep. As soon as she can she will buy a Jeep. Thank you.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

Just got my first jeep, a 2019 Jeep Compass Limited and I LOVE IT. The dealership made everything easier as they were able to work with the price I wanted. The car drives great, has great features, was a great price, and has good mileage. Most would say I "downgraded" because I had a Range Rover before but honestly, the jeep offers much more than a Range Rover ever could for the price.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

I owned a 1998 Jeep Wrangler. It was by far the most fun vehicle I have owned and driven. The thing went almost anywhere. I loved the hard top and being able to take it off during the warmer months. Living in a snowy area, the 4 wheel drive was a must and it worked great. The only reason I got rid of it was because of my need for more space due to an expanding family.

Angelina Hamilton Jackson, MS

I love my Jeep! So glad I went with it. Now I can put the dog in and just drive Aaron’s our go to the beach. It’s perfect! It’s built strong. The engine is very sound. The door are very easy to take off and put back on with no help. Every time I take it in for servicing they are very informative as to what they did and things I can do to make it last longer.

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

Jeep is by far my favorite brand of car. My family has had a Jeep Liberty since 2002, and even with over 250,000 miles on it, the car is still running 17 years later. It has barely had any maintenance issues, and most of the maintenance issues that have occurred have been within the last year due to the age of the car. Nonetheless, it is the most reliable vehicle my family has ever owned and I look forward to owning my own Jeep one day in the future.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have owned two jeeps in my lifetime and I have loved both of them. The first was a CJ7 and I had it at college and being first married. Loved the freedom of taking off the top and driving through the mountains. The second was a Grand Cherokee and it had luxury and room for my family, but at the same time it didn't feel like a family car, but a luxury vehicle. It was fun to drive.

Rylaan Marlowe Roy, UT

Wrangler is the most versatile vehicle out there! Good quality products that last!

Lauren Petersen Sellersville, PA

I traded in my Chevrolet Tahoe for a Jeep Wrangler. It performs well in the snow and I love how fun it is to drive!

Whit Provo, UT

I owned a Jeep for about a year and loved it. I felt like the design, comfort, and safety were a high priority for customer satisfaction.

Abby Ashby Provo, UT

Jeep’s are the best! Nothing better than a jeep. They are so versatile and built so well! I’ve never had issues!

Caitlin Fayetteville, AR

I have had my Jeep for around 6 years now and plan to drive it literally until the wheels fall off! This is such a good and reliable car brand!

Cdavid , MO

There is just nothing else like a Jeep. We enjoy taking our Rubicon off roads. We have been places we never would have been able to without it.

Mason Mitchell Fayetteville, AR

The first car I had was a Jeep Wrangler, and I loved it. The best part was being able to take off the doors and top. The worst part of the Jeep was how rough it rode and the miles per gallon it averaged

Morgan whiting Los Angeles, CA

I Have owned a Jeep Cherokee, Wrangler, and Grand Cherokee. They are the best off-road vehicle around. Not to mention they are super affordable to fix.

Charles Coleman Little Rock, AR

I have a 2001 Jeep and it keeps on ticking! This will be a great week to be driving the jeep with the top down! You should try it, but not in my Jeep!

Sally

I love Jeeps. Their warranties should be longer. They could take a note from high end foreign cars (Lexus, Mercedes, etc) in customer confort during service visits but i line jeeps better than those cars

Jency Torres

They are very thorough with their follow up, the weather seals were replaced then leaked after warranty expired after contacting jeep directly they replaced all the seals & followed up to make sure new seals were working

Steve Jones Riverton, UT

I enjoy driving a Jeep. When they came out with the Gladiator last year, I knew I had to have it. I traded in my 2017 Wrangler and have been so happy with it so far. It may be a gas hog but it drives well in the snow and is reliable...Jeep = reliability.

Tainá Felippe Naples, FL

Simply reliable. First car I have ever had and I’m loving it. Went on a roadtrip for almost two months and camped with tent attached to the back of my wrangler. Fun! It’s a family. Anywhere you are, if you see another jeeper, there is a mutual respect. American Made always!

Elizabeth Klemm Tallahassee, FL

My family has always bought Jeeps for my entire life, and my first car ever was a Jeep Patriot. I love the car and the customer service at Jeep is always friendly and efficient whenever I needed minor maintenance taken care of.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

When I was 16, I learned to drive a stick in a Red Jeep CJ7! I loved that Jeep. It was so fun to drive with the top off, wind in my hair. I always have my eyes open for an old Jeep and have told my husband that if he finds me an old CJ7, I will love him forever.

Katie evans Covington, LA

I recently bought a 2019 Jeep Wrangler in dark blue and I absolutely love it.It has good gas mileage and feels good driving it.And I love traveling in it.The employees that helped me buy my Jeep were so nice and helpful.They help me with any questions I need.

Ryan R Warrendale, PA

I have been a Jeep owner over the last 6 years and the quality of the Jeep Patriot & Jeep Compass and amazing. Living in Pittsburgh with the snow the Jeep really powers through. Never had any negative issues with the jeep at all. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for an SUV.

Tom M Holmdel, NJ

Our family is a big fan of Jeep products. My wife and I still have a 2002 Jeep Liberty we bought new. The Jeep has well over 200,000 miles on it and still runs very good for vehicle of this mileage and age. We have a child in college and once she is graduates we are planning on buying a Jeep again.

Amy Decker Bloomington, IN

We own a Jeep Wrangler, and absolutely love it. The value of this vehicle is fantastic, when considering quality. Performance is great, features are great, and it’s just a really enjoyable car to own and drive. Functionality and fun are fantastic with a Jeep. Warranty claims and service have been nothing short of fantastic.