Hyundai Logo

Hyundai

7.8

LAST UPDATED: August 30th, 2021

Founded in 1967, Hyundai is a South Korean car company that, along with its subsidiaries Kia Motors and luxury marque Genesis Motors, makes up the third-largest car manufacturer in the world, behind Toyota and VW.

With the Hyundai Excel’s robust US introduction in 1986, the brand’s initial reputation was solely as a budget brand.

Now, the company has put an emphasis on appealing design and quality manufacturing. They back up that emphasis with the country’s best warranty: 5 years or 60,000-mile basic policy and 10 years or 100,000-mile powertrain warranty. This is 40 percent more coverage than most other brands (most feature 3 to 4 years and 5 to 6 years).

The brand offers compacts, sedans, crossovers, and SUVs, plus sustainable options sold at the company’s more than 800 US dealerships.

The Good

• Dependability
  • Warranty
  • Style and Tech
  • Sustainable Options
  • Safety

Dependability

On the JD Power Dependability Study, Hyundai ranks well, at #7 out of 31 automaker brands. Additionally, Kelley Blue Book measures dependability by the 5-Year Cost to Own Awards. Hyundai was named Best Brand in 2016 and 2018. Likely related to the brand’s reliability, Brand Keys Customer Loyalty Engagement Index has ranked Hyundai #1 in the auto industry since 2010.

Warranty

Hyundai has the best warranty available in the US. The company offers a 5-year, 60,000-mile new vehicle warranty, which is lengthy compared to most other companies that only offer a 3- or 4-year warranty. The powertrain limited warranty lasts 10 years or 100,000 miles compared to most other companies, which offer 4 to 6 years of coverage. On top of that, the automaker’s anti-perforation warranty lasts 7 years, while other companies mostly offer 5 or 6 years of coverage.

New vehicles come with 5 years and unlimited miles coverage for roadside assistance.

Style and Tech

In recent years, Hyundai has put an emphasis on its sleek, fluid design.

Additionally, new owners can access Blue Link connected car service free for three years. This includes remote engine start, climate control, remote car finder, enhanced roadside assistance with a button on the rearview mirror, and other features.

Sustainable Options

Hyundai has a long history of developing electric cars dating back to 1991. Currently, the company offers a few different hybrid and electric options, including the best fuel economy in America, the Ioniq Blue Hybrid with a 59 mpg highway fuel efficiency.

Here is a breakdown of sustainable models:

• 2019 Ioniq Hybrid
  • 2019 Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
  • 2019 Ioniq Electric
  • 2018 Sonata Hybrid

A limited-availability model, the Nexo, is the world’s first and only hydrogen fuel-cell SUV. It has a range of up to 380 miles, which is higher than any fuel-cell, or even any electric vehicle on the market. You can fuel up in just 5 minutes, and it comes with complimentary fuel for 3 years or $12,000, whichever is reached first. It is only available in California, but there isn’t a waiting list. You can test drive it at dealerships now.

Safety

Several vehicles come with SmartSense, which offers several safety features:

• Forward Collision Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection
  • Rear Cross-Traffic Warning
  • Rear Occupant Alert

The Bad

Average Consumer Satisfaction

Hyundai doesn’t have the best rating on the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index study. With a score of 80, it wasn’t the best- or worst-rated in the car market. It tied with 8 other brands, garnering an industry average, middling score.

The Bottom Line

This dark horse automaker out of South Korea has been building a solid reputation as a reliable car maker with one eye on the present and the other on the future. Hyundai offers a model lineup with safety features and style in combination, as well as several sustainable options, including hybrid, hybrid plug-in, fully-electric, and hydrogen-fueled models.

View Best Car Brands

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

I drove a Hyundai Elantra for about 4 years and loved the vehicle. It was a quiet vehicle that got good gas mileage and didn't have many mechanical issues. I am a fan of a manual vehicle and this car was the perfect fit for me both financially and for transport.

Hal Santa Clara, CA

I have had my Sonata for 8 years and over 100,000 miles. I have performed the recommended maintenance at the dealer. I have had no major repairs. It is a comfortable and reliable car.

Traci Nakhon Sawan, 60

I bought my Hyundai new and it was still in great condition. It has amazing gas mileage and comfortable seat. I drive long distances to work so comfortable seats are necessary.

Kathleen Staat

I owned Hyndai products for the last 12 years. The warranty is one of the best in the industry, and it's easy to see why. There products are worry free. I have not had a major issue with any of the vehicles purchased.

Kori Travis Tallahassee, FL

Hyundai has nice quality cars. They are great on gas and have all the technological functions you could ask for.

Isabelle Teeples Smithfield, UT

I have loved my Hyundai so much! It is really reliable! Even though it is getting a little old (2004) it is still in amazing shape!!

Noah Provo, UT

We got a new Hyundai recently. I love the backup camera feature, it's fantastic and makes me feel secure when I'm backing out of our steep driveway. What I don't like is the bulky-feeling of driving it. It seems to pull against you a tiny bit whenever you turn compared to the CRV I drove before.

Wilkshake Lehi, UT

I purchased a new car from Murdock Hyundai in 2013. I have continued to have all services including oil changes and tire purchases done there. The service staff has been friendly. If there are ever any recalls, they quickly inform me and take care of it. I would certainly consider this dealership in a future purchase.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

I currently drive a Hyundai Elantra Touring and have put 65,000 miles on it in addition to the 59K miles it already had. It requires very little upkeep and handles well. Quality is acceptable and the quality for value is very good. I've purchased three other used Hyundai's over the years for my daughters and all have been good vehicles. It's my opinion that Hyundai offer the best value in compact cars. They are hard to beat.

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

I drove a Hyundai while living in the UK for 2 years. Hyundai does a great job as a value car from my experience. My car had everything I needed and nothing stupid ever broke. The only thing I found annoying was the gas pedal. You can floor it, and then if you push a little harder, the car hits this sport mode type of thing. I found it annoying because I just want it to drive without having to make a decision with the gas pedal like that.

Sherry Bateman Port Coquitlam, BC

We have received excellent service when we take our car to be serviced. The staff are friendly, explain what work is needed on our car, complete the work in a timely fashion and wash the car before returning it.

Albert G. H.

Have been a great fan of your model car Elantra, it has been overall the best car I have driven so far. Repairs are cheap and parts are very easy to find. Even though I did not get to buy it on an agency, it worked just amazingly well. I literally drove ir over hills and mountains and it was all good!

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

My 2013 Hyundai Tucson was my first "adult" car after graduating from College. I only drove it from 2013-2016, but I loved the car to death and it ran great and got great mileage. The only reason I traded in my car was because I put too many miles on it due to my job and I needed a truck for the utility.

Jass Tallahassee, FL

I love my Hyundai Sonata! It’s very stylish and spacious for a small, affordable car. I love the design inside and out! It’s very reliable as it gets me to and from safely and smoothly. I’ve had no problems with this car since I’ve gotten it.

Eric Forseth

This is our second Hyundai, and both cars have been outstanding in terms of reliability. Other than routine service, there have been no issues with either vehicle, and both have been driven over 100,000 miles. Service at our local dealer where we purchased our current Hyundai has also been top notch.

Wendy Rowlette Morgan, UT

I love my Hyundai Sonata Sport limited. Its zippy and fun to drive and rides nice and smooth. I like the body style and the interior is very roomy. Even with the front seats all the way back, there is still plenty of leg room in the backseat. My kids enjoy the heated rear seats in the winter.

Larry L Nielson Boise, ID

Had to get a car quick as we had a wreck. Rushed to local dealer that I knew. He showed me a few SUV's. Took ride in a Hyundai. Rode nice - comfortable. Had enough power and room for wife and I. Bought the car. Have had it now for 7 years. It runs very well and I have very little problems. It has been a wonderful buy for us. I would highly recommend this auto maker.

Naomi Colorado Springs, CO

We have owned several Hyundai cars. They have all needed minor repairs when their mileage started creeping up to 100K but they have been reliable vehicles. They start and go when we need them too without having to spend too much money purchasing them like a Toyota or Honda. They are good quality inside as well. Their interior lasts through the driving years well.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Hyundai was the first car I ever bought. Their cars were affordable and reliable - just what I needed during college. I never had any issues.

Sully

The service is excellent. The ad actually give you a video around your car and under and tell you if everything is OK or needs to be fixed. I have never had that in any vehicle that I own before.

Jean C Thompson

My experience has been mostly good. Good prices include many of the best safety options that are extras on other cars. I feel Hyundai could have done more to improve road noise and ride between 2009 and 2017. That lowered their ratings but they didn't bother to improve.

Jonny Hancock

They make a reliable car, however, they are trying so hard to keep up with Toyota and Honda quality is missed. Dashboards, knobs, buttons and displays feel cheap. I would buy this car for a first time car, not a long term car.

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

I don’t know much about the company but I bought a new Elantra eleven years ago. It is very roomy and comfortable for its class, gets great mileage, and has been impeccably reliable. I will buy another Hyundai.

Christina Healey Provo, UT

Our Hyundai Elantra has seen over 100,000 miles. It’s been a great car with little problems. The 100,000 mile warranty was so amazing to have. The dealership has been awesome to work with that warranty. Getting service done at the dealership takes a long time, so that’s why I give it a 4 star overall rating.

Natalie Drewery ,

I have owned two different Hyundai cars (Sonata and now Santa Fe) and have loved each one! I have loved the design and features, but most importantly I'm grateful for the safety they provide when driving my kids. We've worked with Hyundai garages to both purchase and service our vehicles and have had wonderful experiences always!

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

I own a 2011 Hyundai Sonata and have been very happy with the purchase of this car. The gas mileage is absolutely phenomenal. There have been 4 or 5 recalls over the years, however the dealerships have always been outstanding in their efforts to take care of my car. I would definitely buy another Hyundai as my current one has been so reliable.

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

Bought my wife a new Hyundai a few years back and fell in love almost immediately. Great prices on new vehicles, great service and have had almost zero issues with the cars, even after 5 years. We will continue to purchase Hyundai cars in the future when we need a new vehicle

María Elena Roca Columbia, MD

I have a 2017 Tucson and it is an excellent vehicle. If I compare it with the Honda CRV that I had before, it spends less gas and is much more comfortable. It has a lot of stability on the road and the guarantee they offer is unbeatable.

Martha Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

We purchased a Hyundai for the first time two years ago. We love their warranty and their service. They wash out car for free and help with tune-ups. Their service has been great. We actually sold a Honda to purchase from Hyundai.

Tom Gourley Pleasant Grove, UT

I have found my Hyundai to be a very reliable and enjoyable vehicle. It gets good gas mileage, was reasonable priced, and has never been a problem. When I have taken it in for service the employees have gone the extra mile to take good care of me and make certain I don't pay for anything that can be avoided. They also have great treats in their customer waiting room!

Megan A McEvoy Tallahassee, FL

I currently have a 2013 Hyundai Accent and the car has been very reliable! There was one issue with the battery, but the dealership in Shrewsbury, NJ was very quick to replace it and I had my car back within hours. The car has gotten me from New Jersey to Florida and back twice now without any problems. It is also very good for gas mileage, especially during those 17 hour drives.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

We love Hyundai! We currently own two and have owned two others. You simply can’t beat their value. They have the best warranty in the industry, they have very high safety ratings, and they are well priced. Not to mention, the base models carry great features and their upper models have just about anything you could ever need or want in a car.

Amy Decker Bloomington, IN

We own a Hyundai Sonata and have been very impressed with the quality and performance of this vehicle. The features and comfort of the car make it a great value for the cost. The fuel efficiency is a great plus. Not a high performance car, but great value for the cost.

Miles Strother American Fork, UT

While living with my cousin I took their car, a 2010 Hyundai Sonata into a Hyundai dealer for a free car wash. They provided free food and a nice space to wait, but the car wash also took over an hour, and there was nobody in line ahead of me. I'm sure it was just a one-time problem, and everything else about my experience showed me Hyundai treats their customers well

Rosann Stanko Logan, UT

I drive a Hyundai Genesis now and it’s one of my favorite cars. I am constantly receiving compliments on her beautiful it is. The people in the service department roll out the red carpet for me when I take it in for an oil change or tire rotation.

Kyle Gardner Provo, UT

My 2011 Hyundai Elantra has been an extremely reliable car over the three years I have owned it. With 90000 miles, I have only ever had to fix the a.c. coolant line and a windshield wiper. Fuel cost is low because it still gets around 40 miles to the gallon. Excellent product.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

My Hyundai was a great car! It was a Sonata and was a great price, had lots of room and ran very well. I loved the warranty, but I didn't really have to use it as it just kept going and going. It had room for my family of four at the time and did not show a lot of wear and tear.

Rob Whipple Mesa, AZ

I have purchased several Hyundai cars and have always been pleased. Good reliability and comfortable. I have purchased them to be "economical" before, but I also see that they have more luxury vehicles as well. I am eager to try those.

TTeep Smithfield, UT

We own 2 Hyundai right now. We like the fuel mileage it gets. It's never really had major issues.

Jade Knowles Abingdon, MD

I love my car, but after the recalls that were put out my car started to act a bit weird. I got car serviced and the recalls were taken care of, but I’m still having the same problems.

Joe Bateman Port Coquitlam, BC

I am in my fourth Hyundai. The vehicles are always reliable. My current Tucson is 4 years old and still feels like new.

Janine Murphy

Do not feel the company is compassionate and equitable about leasing program. They find small issues and make customer pay for the minor dings and scratches on vehicle. They do not work with customer on possibly purchasing vehicle after lease and would rather send car to auction, preferring not to sell to lease holder.

Blake Hirschi Salt Lake City, UT

Through various circumstances I have owned two Hyundais in my life. They are affordable, fuel efficient and compact. So if you live the life of a poor college student or have a high schooler that needs a beater car, this is a good option. If you live the life of anyone who wants to accelerate faster than 60mph in 60 minutes or want to take your car any surface that's not perfectly flat and straight than maybe another car is the way to go.

TorShip Saratoga Springs, UT

We recently bought a Hyundai palisade. They have a lot of perks to buying and the dealership also included free car washes and oil changes for life. I feel like the dealership was easy to work with and helped us decide the best car for our family.

hmarashi Newark, NJ

My first car was a Hyundai Elantra, that car carried me through my formative driving years. It had fantastic gas mileage and was a speedy little thing too. I loved my Elantra and miss it dearly.

G Jones Parker, CO

The Hyundai Santa Fe is an exceptional value. It offers high end options found on luxury vehicles, style, affordability and the reliability to drive with confidence in any weather.

Stephanie Love Salt Lake City, UT

I actually love the vehicles, but my last experience at the downtown Salt Lake City Hyundai dealership wasn’t a very pleasant experience. They tacked on fees without telling me until I started questioning them about what the fees were for. When I told them I was still looking at other options the manager got really rude and irritated with me and then flat out told me that if I didn’t buy the car the car salesmen I was working with wouldn’t get his bonus trip. That I was the last sell he needed. That was the last straw for me. I walked out and didn’t return and didn’t end up buying the Hyundai. I bought a Nissan instead.

Kim Kunz Fallbrook, CA

Love love love my hyundai! Sonata with 6 cylinders so it can keep up with my lead foot ;) best part is the leg room Both front AND back seats have plenty of space for adults, car seats, whatever your cargo!

David T Draper, UT

Hyundai is a great car company. The new SUV coming out looks amazing, I can't wait to get it. They have the best warranties in the business and their cars run forever without problems.

Danielle Powell Long Beach, MS

I have a 2012 Hyundai Elantra with 185000 more on it. The only thing that I have had to repair has been the brakes, tires, battery, and starter. This car has been the definition of reliable