Best Company Guarantee Honda Logo

Honda

8.3

LAST UPDATED: January 26th, 2022

Honda Motor Company is a Japanese car manufacturer founded in 1946. As one part of Japan’s Big Three automakers, Honda started as a motorcycle engine maker and has grown to be one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world.

With its Acura line, which was first released in 1986, Honda was the first Japanese manufacturer to make a luxury offshoot brand. The Honda Civic is the automaker’s best-selling model. You can shop Honda’s lineup at 1,050 dealerships nationwide.

Keep reading our Honda review to learn more about the pros and cons of choosing Honda or skip to the Honda reviews.

The Good

• Award Recognition
  • Sustainability Efforts
  • Dependability
  • Customer Satisfaction
  • Efficiency
  • Safety Features
  • HondaLink App
  • Product Diversification

Award Recognition

Accredited review sites recognize Honda as a reliable automaker. According to recent awards, Honda excels in areas of reliability, sustainability, and affordability. Honda was named one of the Top 5 Car Brands in 2020 by BestCompany.com. Below is a list of some of the most recognized Honda models within their respective vehicle categories. These are great options to explore when selecting a car from Honda’s lineup.

Cars

Honda Insight

• NHTSA 5-Star Safety Ratings
  • 2020 IIHS Top Safety Pick+

Sustainability Efforts

Honda creates environmentally-friendly vehicles with hybrid and electric options. Some of these models have been recognized as some of the best in the industry. The Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid received an award from Kelly Blue Book for its value and dependability. Honda has six different hybrid and electric vehicle options to choose from.

Current sustainable offerings include the following:

• Honda Insight
  • Honda CR-V Hybrid
  • Honda Accord Hybrid
  • Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
  • Honda Clarity Fuel Cell

The automaker also optimizes its manufacturing process to cut back on harmful emissions. Honda’s green path consists of four major initiatives to stay environmentally active: reduce vehicle footprint, reduce CO2 emissions, incentivize green Honda dealerships, and eliminate waste. The sustainability effort began in 2015 and continues to be a main focus for the company.

Dependability

Honda ranked above average on the latest JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study at #12 out of 31. Additionally, Polk Data found that 75 percent of Honda vehicles sold between 1988 and 2012 were still on the road in 2013, more than any other brand.

Customer Satisfaction

Honda customers express long-term satisfaction with their vehicle purchase. In the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index rankings, Honda placed very well; only four companies scored ahead of it: Volvo, Porsche, Lexus, and Subaru. This is great, especially considering that most of these are luxury brands, not mainstream.

According to Honda reviews on BestCompany.com, 97 percent of users give Honda a 4 or 5-star rating. Reviewers are satisfied with the quality, longevity, fuel efficiency, and reliability of Honda vehicles.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Dawnson Sandersn

“Honda is a great car for those who love gas efficient vehicles. Honda has been at the top of the car business for a long time and they are phenomenal!”

Fuel Efficiency

Honda competes with Toyota for the best fuel efficiency. According to a report published by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Honda’s U.S. fleet has the highest average fuel efficiency and admits the lowest CO2 emission levels. The U.S. fleet gets an impressive fuel economy of 29.4 miles per gallon on average. Over the last five years, Honda has improved its average fuel economy by over 3 mpg.

Affordability

Honda’s above-average fuel economy makes owning a car more affordable. You can also save on upfront costs of purchasing a new car. Honda offers some of the most affordable vehicles on the market comparable to other top brands such as Chevrolet and Toyota. The Honda Fit Hatchback is the least expensive model with an MSRP of about $17,000. Even the most expensive model, the Honda Civic Type R, is priced similar to competitors.

Safety Features

Honda has created its own safety technology to keep drivers and passengers safe. Most of these features are similar to other offerings by top car brands. HondaSensing is the company’s safety tech line and comes on most new Honda vehicles. The HondaSensing includes the following features:

• Collision Mitigation Braking System
  • Road Departure Mitigation System
  • Lane Keeping Assist System
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Honda LaneWatch

Honda envisions a future where collisions are a worry of the past. The automotive company’s development team aims to create a collision-free world by the year 2040. The goal utilizes innovative safety concepts and designs. Honda created the world’s most advanced crash-test facility. The facility is used to carry out advanced safety tests and make evaluations for upgraded safety features. SAFE SWARM is an original concept aimed at connecting cars on the road. Increased connectivity would help evaluate traffic flow and prevent traffic accidents.

HondaLink App

Similar to many other major car manufacturers, Honda provides a specialized app for customers. The HondaLink App has several unique features to help improve your vehicle ownership experience. The app sends vehicle updates, connects to emergency services, provides remote vehicle access, and tracks your driving habits. You can also connect with Amazon Alexa for access to voice commands or set up with your vehicle with Amazon KEY delivery service.

• Vehicle Updates — HondaLink gives up up-to-date information on your car readings. The app records your car’s parked location for easy recall. View other key details about your vehicle including your mileage, oil level, and fuel level. You will also be notified if a warning light turns on or if you should schedule a maintenance appointment.
  • Emergency Services — Help is just a few clicks away on the HondaLink app. Call for roadside assistance to get towing or repair help. In the event of an accident, the app will notify response agents to send help. The emergency service feature comes complimentary on new vehicles for the first 12 months and then can be purchased as a yearly subscription.
  • Remote Access — Remote access allows you to control basic car functions from your smartphone. For example, you can lock, unlock, and start your vehicle on the app.
  • Driving Habits — The HondaLink app records your driving habits so that you can learn how to improve and refine your driving skills. You will receive an overall driving score and some specific tips on how you can improve your driving. You can also opt to send this information to your insurance company to potentially save money on your policy premium.

Product Diversification

If you are satisfied with your Honda vehicle, explore other product options from a brand you know and trust. Honda produces other products aside from its vehicle lineup. For example, Honda manufactures motorcycles, ATVs, scooters, power equipment, boats, and planes. The only other car companies that build and sell motorcycles are Suzuki and BMW.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Many Honda models from 2001 to 2015 model years were included in the Takata airbag recall. However, Honda is not the only company involved in this industry-record recall. If you drive a Honda made during this time period, check your VIN with the company’s recall database to be sure you are safe.

The Bottom Line

Honda makes affordable, dependable cars, SUVs, and pickups. Its lineup has been given a bevy of awards for safety, the lowest five-year cost to own, and best resale value. The HondaLink app makes vehicle management convenient. You can also explore other Honda products from motorcycles to lawnmowers. The automakers’ commitment to sustainability and efficiency makes buying a Honda a conscious choice for your wallet and the environment.

If you are interested in purchasing a Honda car, start by reading Honda reviews from customers. Learn what model works best for your lifestyle. Research the various models and test drive them at a nearby Honda dealership. Whichever model you decide to purchase, you can expect that it will be with you for quite some time.

View Best Car Brands

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Carnan Fort Collins, CO

We have been long time fans of Honda. We had an accord out of college and currently have a Pilot. It's definitely not the fanciest of vehicles, but has enough bells and whistles to feel special while providing a nice and functional ride. My 74 yo mom drives a CRV and loves it. She says it's fun and reliable. Highly recommend any Honda vehicle for all ages.

emblair Herriman, UT

Hard to beat the reliability and craftmanship of any Honda! And so nice that you can actually do repairs yourself instead of overpaying at the dealership. Unless you want to overpay at the dealership to make your life easier, cause they do a great job too!

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

We love our CRV. It has been a reliable car for four years and is so comfortable to drive. We love all of the extra features like blind sight, lane assist, adaptive cruise control and apple car play. We would definitely buy another Honda. The only issue we have had is that a sensor on the blind sight monitor went out that was a little pricey to fix.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

Years ago i had a Honda Civic that i loved. It would be fun to pull up to a stop light and smoke people off the line. The car made several long distance trips and was a great care early in my marriage. Honda always makes a great product

Natalie Rousey Riverton, UT

I love my Honda Odyssey. The doors are extremely helpful for loading and unloading my children. It is very spacious and comfortable for everyone. Plus I enjoy that it drives like a car, not a big bulky vehicle. I would recommend Honda to anyone.

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

We bought a Honda Pilot in 2019. Love the drive of the vehicle and the overall experience has been good. I has had multiple issues with the sound/computer system. They have been fixing it but the same issue has been happening. It was very frustrating to have to continue to take it in and they would work on it and then have it happen again.

Shopman Herriman, UT

I know when I buy a Honda, I am buying a quality vehicle. I love the resale value of a Honda. We have owned multiple Honda's and they have all been great cars. The company is trusted by buyers and sellers. When looking at buying a new car, we looked at safety rates and Honda's always scored high.

Ashton Chamberlain ID

Honda cars are very reliable and a lot of them have a great design. I have had the same Honda for over 10 years and it still runs excellent. Would definitely recommend.

Heather Riverton, UT

We own a 2014 Honda Pilot and a 2008 civic. They have both been very reliable. We get them serviced regularly and look forward to many more years of use of these vehicles.

J B Sandy, UT

First car I ever purchased was a Civic. We put nearly 250k miles on the car before donating it. Their road side assistance is great perk as well. Honda's are the best!

Jennie South Jordan, UT

Love Honda! Owned 4 different Hondas over the years. So reliable and affordable. Awesome features! Especially love the Honda safety features.

Grant Ashby ID

I love there sedans, they are great for beginners because of price. There reliability is on the lower side i feel like. They are improving but they can definitely grow

Amber Handy Salt Lake City, UT

I have owned three Hondas in the last 20 years and am a loyal customer! Such a good value for the money, well made, and excellent customer services!

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

We LOVE our Honda minivan. Great value, keeps going after 13 years and 200,000+ miles. Love all the cupholders, floor mats that hook in, and of course the reliability.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

As a Honda owner for quite some time, I have gotten to know quite a few things not only about my vehicle but about the way vehicle maintenance works in Honda dealerships and the customer service. The customer service has always been immaculate from the moment I bought my car to present day. The salesmen and the maintenance mechanics are very thorough with information and accommodating. I dislike that to get maintenance done on your vehicle, you cannot make an appointment instead it is on a first come bases. However, when my car needed a trunk part replaced, Honda gave me another vehicle in the meantime at no cost. As far as my vehicle, it has been reliable & a great investment.

Timothy Rich Herriman, UT

I like honda because they make really good cars. Their cars have good fuel efficiency and they last a long time.

Kayla M. Tallahassee, FL

I have a 2018 accord and I LOVE MY HONDA. These cars are durable, reliable, and economic. This car will last you and will not have constant issues, which an amazing build/look. Definitely worth the money, My car is the bomb

Jacks Friend Riverton, UT

Great car! My first car I ever drove lasted for years and the gas mileage was awesome!

Grossarth Family Herriman, UT

I appreciate being made aware of any and all recalls on my cars purchased from Honda.

Mark

Excellent reputation, quick response to questions, very friendly and knowledgeable salesforce and product that set the standard for quality, delivery and a very competitive cost relative to others when dependability is one of the points in the rating systems

Brandon Kimball Thurgood AZ

My Honda Pilot has been a good family car. Feel safe while in the car.

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

I have had my 2013 Honda CRV for over seven years and it has been nothing short of an amazing car. I’ve had no large issues with my car and maintenance on it is very easy. The Honda dealership always is willing to help service my car and give me information and advice when needed. I love my Honda and I don’t see myself ever having another car brand.

Lisa C Johnson Capitol Heights, MD

My husband and I just bought the Honda Odessey 2021 elite. It has all the bells and whistles. We have a smaller car also. But driving this minivan is like driving our smaller car. I like the parking feature that tells you when you are too close to objects. My kids watch movies on long drives. It keeps them from nagging us if we are there yet. The only thing I dont like is it constantly tells me to stay in my lane when I am in it. It does force me to use my turn signals or it will over correct to keep me in the lane. I understand what it is doing but it drives me crazy. Other than that this is a great car. I can carry up to 8 people comfortably. You can put the back seats down to put bikes into. Lots of room. Highly recommend for large families.

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

I have been a customer of Honda for more than 3 years and I have enjoyed every experience. The staff is very welcoming and of great service to ensure that all of my needs are met. I also enjoy driving my Honda, it is a reliable vehicle with great mileage.

Jan

Honda knows how to build a car, that sturdy and dependable. I have had a CRV for 10 years, and I only have to take it in for normal maintenance, oil change and tire rotation.

Kimberlee Affleck Salt Lake City, UT

Love Hondas very reliable and affordable

Brylee Roberts Riverton, UT

I find Hondas very comfortable to drive or just be in.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

I m not new to the Honda brand my and I have been for at least 20 yrs and they’ve yet to disappoint. The quality of the cabin ride has improved quite a bit from the previous version not that they were bad but I love when you closed any door it feels like you are in a higher-end luxury car without the price tag. Now the handle of the suspension in sport mode takes it to another level.

John M Stanley

Since 2007, we have purchased/driven 3 Honda Odyssey's, 1 CR-V and 1 Honda Accord (6 cyl) and so far, they have been the best vehicles we've had the pleasure to own and drive. One problem with our first '07 Odyssey, the white paint chipped all the time - that has been the only problem in 12 years. The CR-V, EX-L was a 2012 model, very light car, not enough horsepower, but when you get 33 mpg in town, who cares? The accord is my personal car - lots of horses under the hood, leather seats, "zooming car"! And on the highway, I get about 30 mpg - pretty sweet! The only vehicle I think that really needs improvement is the CR-V; yes, I realize it now comes with a turbo 4 - wow, 190 HP, give me a break; should be around 235-255 HP, then that would be a SUV that would be competitive!

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I bought my wife a Honda Accord last year and frequently drive it to work. It drives smoothly and has great gas mileage. Unfortunently I can’t take it off the road but other than that it is a perfect car that is well suited for my small family.

Jenetta E Provo, UT

What I love the most about Honda is that their cars are reliable and they last. My family has everything from a 30 year old Honda that is still running, to a 5 year old Honda that we trust to keep us getting places safely on a day to day basis.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

The best cars I've ever had have been Hondas. I have a 2001 Honda Accord that still works great and gets the best gas mileage of any car I've ever had. It has been very easy to handle and the interior is extremely spacious for not being a very big car.

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

I toggle between Honda and Nissaan, usually as a result of what deals are being offered. I have bought Nissaan the last couple of cars mainly because Honda is just not as competitive with offers and perks. It's a shame because the Honda dealers in this area are much nicer and service centers are more trustworthy than my experience with the Nissaan service centers.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

My experience was the most enjoyable I ever had when buying a car. I knew what I wanted and the salesmen got me the best deal in my area. Buying the car was fast and efficient. The staff was friendly, and the dealership was clean. I also like the free delivery service. It's nice to know I now have a place to buy a car that gives great customer service and won't rip me off.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

As a loyal Honda owner, I have had relatively good experience. Although, my 2003 Accord ate oxygen sensors, gas mileage was great, my 2006 Odyssey eats batteries, but runs well. Hondas are popular for modification and racing. Hondas have the option of real leather interiors.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

We've owned a 2007 Honda CRV for about 10 years now and it has been the most trouble free car we have ever had. I keep up on the scheduled maintenance and that is about all we have had to do. The car has 160,000 mile on it and we expect many more out of it. The only problem we have had was the automatic locks had some issues and we paid an auto shop to replace the actuators on two doors. That was expensive but it now works fine.

Jonathan

Very good experience with Honda. Even their dealerships go above and beyond. I like their legendary durability, quality, and reliability. They are also very well styled for the most part and have a very nice looking logo. They need to continue making sporty cars as well as make a 2 door coupe Accord since the new 4 door Accord has questionable styling.

Dawn cline

I think they need to have a payment plan available. I used them since I bought my accord in 2008, however, when my breaks needed to be done I had to go to firestone, now I use them exclusively. I think car dealers need to cater to all americans,not just rich ones. Because of their lack of payment plans they lost me as a customer 2 years ago, there was another issue. My windshield wiper cleaner pump failed, I told them it was not the lines which I tested, not the pump itself that caused it, that it was due to electrical in the pigtail. They put a pump on, died in three days, then they put another aftermarket one for free with no warranty, which also died because they refused to listen to me because I'm a female. Firestone listened, they fixed the pigtail and now I can wash my windows..

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I love my Honda Odyssey! In fact its my second Odyssey -- I had my first one for 6 years! We can carry a tandem bicycle and still have seating for 4 people (3 + the driver)! If my husband and I want to take single bikes instead of the tandem, that works, too. It's great for family trips (short or long) -- lots of space, DVD player, navigation, air conditioning, heated seats and LOTS of cup holders and places to plug in electronics! What more can I say?

Marcie M Idaho Falls, ID

I have always driven a Honda ever since 2002. My first one was an Accord. It was an amazing, reliable vehicle. We drove it for 12 years without a single issue before we decided to upgrade. We also have owned two separate Odysseys. They have both been amazing cars as well. With regular oil changes and maintenance, Hondas will run beautifully for years. The vehicle I currently drive is a Honda Odyssey Touring edition. It drives like a dream. We absolutely love it for our family of 7. It has a DVD player, plenty of trunk room, heated leather seats, automatic doors, a sunroof, and much more. It gets good gas mileage. I LOVE Honda’s and most likely won’t ever drive anything else!

Matt Clark Provo, UT

I only use Honda. They are very reliable, and I have had less problems than with other cars I used to have.

Stephanie Clark Provo, UT

Honda is very reliable. They have so many options that look great, drive great, and have great gas mileage.

Tequanda Jackson Tallahassee, FL

I bought a car from Honda and it is the strongest car I ever bought, honda provides the best prices and car insurance

Madisen Cluff CA

Hondas are the most reliable vehicle! My family has owned the same Honda van for 15 years and it still works like a charm. We only ever had one minor engine problem with it but other than that it has never had a problem.

Noah Provo, UT

These things last forever with next to no servicing. In the 5 years I've used my Honda, I have changed tires, oil, and wiper blades. That's it. It still runs smoothly at 100000+ miles.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

I have had my Honda for 15 years and it still is in great working condition! This company knows how to make a great quality car for an affordable price! The Honda staff are also always very helpful and so friendly!!

Anne St. James

I own a Honda Fit and have found it to be the absolute best car I have ever owned. It is a dream to drive, with the footing of a Billy Goat in the snow and ice and holds my very large Greyhound and a lot of other stuff at the same time. Good cars, good company.

E. Castillo

They're not too expensive. These cars, especially the well taken care of, last a very long time. Keeping them updated is the best they can do to keep improving them. Honda is very good about the maintenance and quick too.

Stuart Schnitzer

I had a 2014 Odyssey and I have a 2016 Accord and a 2018 Odyssey. The 2014 had an interior deffect that Honda claimed was caused by blunt force to the panel. I found out recently that they are aware the defect was caused by natural oils in the drivers body due to defective materials, but Honda would not own up to it. The new technology, especially the collision avoidance system can actually cause an accident. Going around a steep left curve on a highway, if vehicles are heading toward you the system thinks you are headed for a collision and brakes. I a car pulls lanes and you do the same to avoid a collision the vehicle tries to pull you back into the lane causing a possible collision.

Shirley McClary for Robert McClary

Service Is great. Meet you at the car door when you drive in garage. Escort you to his or her desk. No waiting in line. Find out what the car needs done and escorts you to waiting room. Checks in to let you know what is going on and tells you when it is ready ade where it is parked.