Honda

verified
This Japanese Automaker puts a focus on longevity and satisfaction

Honda Motor Company is a Japanese car manufacturer founded in 1946. As one part of Japan’s Big Three automakers, Honda started as a motorcycle engine maker and has grown to be one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world.

With its Acura line, which was first released in 1986, Honda was the first Japanese manufacturer to make its own luxury offshoot brand.

The following Honda models are available in the US:

Minivans

• Odyssey

Trucks

• Ridgeline

You can shop Honda’s lineup at 1,050 dealerships nationwide.

The Good

• Dependability
  • Satisfaction
  • Efficiency
  • Safety

Dependability

Honda ranked above average on the latest JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study at #12 out of 31. Additionally, Polk Data found that 75 percent of Honda vehicles sold between 1988 and 2012 were still on the road in 2013, more than any other brand.

Satisfaction

In the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index rankings, Honda placed very well; only four companies scored ahead of it: Volvo, Porsche, Lexus, and Subaru. This is great, especially considering that most of the these are luxury brands, not mainstream.

Efficiency

Honda has one of the most fuel-efficient lineups when it comes to average mpg and has several sustainable vehicle options:

• Insight
  • Accord Hybrid
  • Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
  • Clarity Electric
  • Clarity Fuel Cell

The Insight was even named the 2019 Green Car of the Year.

Safety

HondaSensing is the company’s safety tech line and it includes:

• Collision Mitigation Braking System
  • Road Departure Mitigation System
  • Lane Keeping Assist System
  • Adaptive Cruise Control

The Bad

Takata Recall

Many Honda models from 2001 to 2015 model years were included in the Takata airbag recall. However, Honda is not the only company involved in this industry-record recall. If you drive a Honda made during this time period, check your VIN with the company’s recall database to be sure you are safe.

The Bottom Line

Honda makes affordable, dependable cars, SUVs, and pickups. Its lineup has been given a bevy of awards for safety, the lowest 5-year cost to own, and best resale value. When you buy a Honda, you can expect that it will be with you for quite some time.

View Best Car Brands

4.8

BEC
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

I recently purchased a new CR-V and had exemplary service from the dealer and love the car's handling and features.

January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

I love my CRV - wish manual was easier to understnd how to work the gismos!

Christopher Haueter
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Our Honda CRV is probably the most reliable, versatile and practical car we've ever owned. We love it and will always consider Honda when looking for another car

Shirley McClary for Robert McClary
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Service Is great. Meet you at the car door when you drive in garage. Escort you to his or her desk. No waiting in line. Find out what the car needs done and escorts you to waiting room. Checks in to let you know what is going on and tells you when it is ready ade where it is parked.

William Payne
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Owned hondas for over 25 years. Very reliable and trustworthy. Not one isue that wasnt resolved very quickly ever

Carlos
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Only have had good experiences from them wether it was my first honda which was a 84' prelude, or my 91 CRX, or one of my many different models and years of different Accords.

Angeline Benjamin
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Reliable, low maintenance, high tech, I have leased 3 different Honda and the only money I spent were the scheduled maintenance. Because I leases the carr, I only kept each car between 28-33 months.

JUNE C
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Excellent experience with 3 new Accords and 1 new Crosstour. Reliability, craftsmanship and great technology have made me a lifelong repeat customer.

Donetta Farrington
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

I love my Honda Civic. I've had two, and they are the most reliable vehicles...they just keep on keeping on!

Mary Moseberth
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Loved the choices in vehicles. Would like them to bring back the center console in the SUV models.

Larry &Cristy &
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Quality is number 1. They have very high standards and their vehicles show it. Price is a little high, but you get what you pay for. They used to give coupon books to use their service department. That went by the wayside, and if not, they haven't given me one in my past 3 vehicles!

Cathy
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Reliable car good warranty service company is good

Dawn cline
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

I think they need to have a payment plan available. I used them since I bought my accord in 2008, however, when my breaks needed to be done I had to go to firestone, now I use them exclusively. I think car dealers need to cater to all americans,not just rich ones. Because of their lack of payment plans they lost me as a customer 2 years ago, there was another issue. My windshield wiper cleaner pump failed, I told them it was not the lines which I tested, not the pump itself that caused it, that it was due to electrical in the pigtail. They put a pump on, died in three days, then they put another aftermarket one for free with no warranty, which also died because they refused to listen to me because I'm a female. Firestone listened, they fixed the pigtail and now I can wash my windows..

Kenneth Eberly
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Just bought a 2017 CR-V Certified Used from Honda. Excellent car and great service from the Ocala dealer.

Bill Bedall
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

They seem to be honest. Intrested in me as a client. Effecient and timely service.