Best Company Guarantee Honda Logo

Honda

8.3

LAST UPDATED: March 23rd, 2022

Honda Motor Company is a Japanese car manufacturer founded in 1946. As one part of Japan’s Big Three automakers, Honda started as a motorcycle engine maker and has grown to be one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world.

With its Acura line, which was first released in 1986, Honda was the first Japanese manufacturer to make a luxury offshoot brand. The Honda Civic is the automaker’s best-selling model. You can shop Honda’s lineup at 1,050 dealerships nationwide.

Keep reading our Honda review to learn more about the pros and cons of choosing Honda or skip to the Honda reviews.

The Good

• Award Recognition
  • Sustainability Efforts
  • Dependability
  • Customer Satisfaction
  • Efficiency
  • Safety Features
  • HondaLink App
  • Product Diversification

Award Recognition

Accredited review sites recognize Honda as a reliable automaker. According to recent awards, Honda excels in areas of reliability, sustainability, and affordability. Honda was named one of the Top 5 Car Brands in 2020 by BestCompany.com. Below is a list of some of the most recognized Honda models within their respective vehicle categories. These are great options to explore when selecting a car from Honda’s lineup.

Cars

Honda Insight

• NHTSA 5-Star Safety Ratings
  • 2020 IIHS Top Safety Pick+

Sustainability Efforts

Honda creates environmentally-friendly vehicles with hybrid and electric options. Some of these models have been recognized as some of the best in the industry. The Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid received an award from Kelly Blue Book for its value and dependability. Honda has six different hybrid and electric vehicle options to choose from.

Current sustainable offerings include the following:

• Honda Insight
  • Honda CR-V Hybrid
  • Honda Accord Hybrid
  • Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
  • Honda Clarity Fuel Cell

The automaker also optimizes its manufacturing process to cut back on harmful emissions. Honda’s green path consists of four major initiatives to stay environmentally active: reduce vehicle footprint, reduce CO2 emissions, incentivize green Honda dealerships, and eliminate waste. The sustainability effort began in 2015 and continues to be a main focus for the company.

Dependability

Honda ranked above average on the latest JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study at #12 out of 31. Additionally, Polk Data found that 75 percent of Honda vehicles sold between 1988 and 2012 were still on the road in 2013, more than any other brand.

Customer Satisfaction

Honda customers express long-term satisfaction with their vehicle purchase. In the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index rankings, Honda placed very well; only four companies scored ahead of it: Volvo, Porsche, Lexus, and Subaru. This is great, especially considering that most of these are luxury brands, not mainstream.

According to Honda reviews on BestCompany.com, 97 percent of users give Honda a 4 or 5-star rating. Reviewers are satisfied with the quality, longevity, fuel efficiency, and reliability of Honda vehicles.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Dawnson Sandersn

“Honda is a great car for those who love gas efficient vehicles. Honda has been at the top of the car business for a long time and they are phenomenal!”

Fuel Efficiency

Honda competes with Toyota for the best fuel efficiency. According to a report published by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Honda’s U.S. fleet has the highest average fuel efficiency and admits the lowest CO2 emission levels. The U.S. fleet gets an impressive fuel economy of 29.4 miles per gallon on average. Over the last five years, Honda has improved its average fuel economy by over 3 mpg.

Affordability

Honda’s above-average fuel economy makes owning a car more affordable. You can also save on upfront costs of purchasing a new car. Honda offers some of the most affordable vehicles on the market comparable to other top brands such as Chevrolet and Toyota. The Honda Fit Hatchback is the least expensive model with an MSRP of about $17,000. Even the most expensive model, the Honda Civic Type R, is priced similar to competitors.

Safety Features

Honda has created its own safety technology to keep drivers and passengers safe. Most of these features are similar to other offerings by top car brands. HondaSensing is the company’s safety tech line and comes on most new Honda vehicles. The HondaSensing includes the following features:

• Collision Mitigation Braking System
  • Road Departure Mitigation System
  • Lane Keeping Assist System
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Honda LaneWatch

Honda envisions a future where collisions are a worry of the past. The automotive company’s development team aims to create a collision-free world by the year 2040. The goal utilizes innovative safety concepts and designs. Honda created the world’s most advanced crash-test facility. The facility is used to carry out advanced safety tests and make evaluations for upgraded safety features. SAFE SWARM is an original concept aimed at connecting cars on the road. Increased connectivity would help evaluate traffic flow and prevent traffic accidents.

HondaLink App

Similar to many other major car manufacturers, Honda provides a specialized app for customers. The HondaLink App has several unique features to help improve your vehicle ownership experience. The app sends vehicle updates, connects to emergency services, provides remote vehicle access, and tracks your driving habits. You can also connect with Amazon Alexa for access to voice commands or set up with your vehicle with Amazon KEY delivery service.

• Vehicle Updates — HondaLink gives up up-to-date information on your car readings. The app records your car’s parked location for easy recall. View other key details about your vehicle including your mileage, oil level, and fuel level. You will also be notified if a warning light turns on or if you should schedule a maintenance appointment.
  • Emergency Services — Help is just a few clicks away on the HondaLink app. Call for roadside assistance to get towing or repair help. In the event of an accident, the app will notify response agents to send help. The emergency service feature comes complimentary on new vehicles for the first 12 months and then can be purchased as a yearly subscription.
  • Remote Access — Remote access allows you to control basic car functions from your smartphone. For example, you can lock, unlock, and start your vehicle on the app.
  • Driving Habits — The HondaLink app records your driving habits so that you can learn how to improve and refine your driving skills. You will receive an overall driving score and some specific tips on how you can improve your driving. You can also opt to send this information to your insurance company to potentially save money on your policy premium.

Product Diversification

If you are satisfied with your Honda vehicle, explore other product options from a brand you know and trust. Honda produces other products aside from its vehicle lineup. For example, Honda manufactures motorcycles, ATVs, scooters, power equipment, boats, and planes. The only other car companies that build and sell motorcycles are Suzuki and BMW.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Many Honda models from 2001 to 2015 model years were included in the Takata airbag recall. However, Honda is not the only company involved in this industry-record recall. If you drive a Honda made during this time period, check your VIN with the company’s recall database to be sure you are safe.

The Bottom Line

Honda makes affordable, dependable cars, SUVs, and pickups. Its lineup has been given a bevy of awards for safety, the lowest five-year cost to own, and best resale value. The HondaLink app makes vehicle management convenient. You can also explore other Honda products from motorcycles to lawnmowers. The automakers’ commitment to sustainability and efficiency makes buying a Honda a conscious choice for your wallet and the environment.

If you are interested in purchasing a Honda car, start by reading Honda reviews from customers. Learn what model works best for your lifestyle. Research the various models and test drive them at a nearby Honda dealership. Whichever model you decide to purchase, you can expect that it will be with you for quite some time.

View Best Car Brands

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

KingRobert747 Ashburn, VA

The Honda Ridgeline that I previously owned was awesome. The only ongoing issue was with the wheel alignment of which was a known issue. Unfortunately, the vehicle's mileage exceeded any potential warranty enhancements or TSB's. I'd buy another one. Now this other Honda that I have is an oldie but, goodie as it's holding the line at just over 300k miles. Nice!

Mark

Excellent reputation, quick response to questions, very friendly and knowledgeable salesforce and product that set the standard for quality, delivery and a very competitive cost relative to others when dependability is one of the points in the rating systems

Carnan Fort Collins, CO

We have been long time fans of Honda. We had an accord out of college and currently have a Pilot. It's definitely not the fanciest of vehicles, but has enough bells and whistles to feel special while providing a nice and functional ride. My 74 yo mom drives a CRV and loves it. She says it's fun and reliable. Highly recommend any Honda vehicle for all ages.

Jan

Honda knows how to build a car, that sturdy and dependable. I have had a CRV for 10 years, and I only have to take it in for normal maintenance, oil change and tire rotation.

OrvilleBro Herriman, UT

We have continually purchased Hondas over the years. The main reason is the reliability and peace of mind, knowing my wife and kids are in a reliable vehicle that is safe. The resale value and quality for the price are really hard to beat. My personal car is also a Honda, for those reasons as well, but it also looks cool. The radios are crap though. They lose a star for that.

emblair Herriman, UT

Hard to beat the reliability and craftmanship of any Honda! And so nice that you can actually do repairs yourself instead of overpaying at the dealership. Unless you want to overpay at the dealership to make your life easier, cause they do a great job too!

Brent Thurgood Spanish Fork, UT

We love our CRV. It has been a reliable car for four years and is so comfortable to drive. We love all of the extra features like blind sight, lane assist, adaptive cruise control and apple car play. We would definitely buy another Honda. The only issue we have had is that a sensor on the blind sight monitor went out that was a little pricey to fix.

Bryan Peterson Herriman, UT

Years ago i had a Honda Civic that i loved. It would be fun to pull up to a stop light and smoke people off the line. The car made several long distance trips and was a great care early in my marriage. Honda always makes a great product

Shopman Herriman, UT

I know when I buy a Honda, I am buying a quality vehicle. I love the resale value of a Honda. We have owned multiple Honda's and they have all been great cars. The company is trusted by buyers and sellers. When looking at buying a new car, we looked at safety rates and Honda's always scored high.

Debora Paez Columbia, MO

As a Honda owner for quite some time, I have gotten to know quite a few things not only about my vehicle but about the way vehicle maintenance works in Honda dealerships and the customer service. The customer service has always been immaculate from the moment I bought my car to present day. The salesmen and the maintenance mechanics are very thorough with information and accommodating. I dislike that to get maintenance done on your vehicle, you cannot make an appointment instead it is on a first come bases. However, when my car needed a trunk part replaced, Honda gave me another vehicle in the meantime at no cost. As far as my vehicle, it has been reliable & a great investment.

John M Stanley

Since 2007, we have purchased/driven 3 Honda Odyssey's, 1 CR-V and 1 Honda Accord (6 cyl) and so far, they have been the best vehicles we've had the pleasure to own and drive. One problem with our first '07 Odyssey, the white paint chipped all the time - that has been the only problem in 12 years. The CR-V, EX-L was a 2012 model, very light car, not enough horsepower, but when you get 33 mpg in town, who cares? The accord is my personal car - lots of horses under the hood, leather seats, "zooming car"! And on the highway, I get about 30 mpg - pretty sweet! The only vehicle I think that really needs improvement is the CR-V; yes, I realize it now comes with a turbo 4 - wow, 190 HP, give me a break; should be around 235-255 HP, then that would be a SUV that would be competitive!

Jaren Barnes West Jordan, UT

Our Honda Civic is awesome. We love it. We’ve never had any problems with it. It’s a great car and would definitely get another one. We like Honda because they are very reliable and we would recommend them.

Kurt Didenhover Salt Lake City, UT

I've owned multiple Honda vehicles over the last 20 years. All have been very reliable and have had no major issues. Always done the upkeep, but they just keep running forever. Very high quality builds for the money spent.

Jesse Jorgensen Herriman, UT

My only complaint was that the cars interior felt cheap. Other than that my Honda was a great car. Gas milage was excellent. I drove the car until it had 210,000 miles. When I did have to repair the car, the repairs were easy to fix myself.

Natalie Rousey Riverton, UT

I love my Honda Odyssey. The doors are extremely helpful for loading and unloading my children. It is very spacious and comfortable for everyone. Plus I enjoy that it drives like a car, not a big bulky vehicle. I would recommend Honda to anyone.

Ron Thurgood Denver, CO

We bought a Honda Pilot in 2019. Love the drive of the vehicle and the overall experience has been good. I has had multiple issues with the sound/computer system. They have been fixing it but the same issue has been happening. It was very frustrating to have to continue to take it in and they would work on it and then have it happen again.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

We've owned a 2007 Honda CRV for about 10 years now and it has been the most trouble free car we have ever had. I keep up on the scheduled maintenance and that is about all we have had to do. The car has 160,000 mile on it and we expect many more out of it. The only problem we have had was the automatic locks had some issues and we paid an auto shop to replace the actuators on two doors. That was expensive but it now works fine.

Jonathan

Very good experience with Honda. Even their dealerships go above and beyond. I like their legendary durability, quality, and reliability. They are also very well styled for the most part and have a very nice looking logo. They need to continue making sporty cars as well as make a 2 door coupe Accord since the new 4 door Accord has questionable styling.

Dawn cline

I think they need to have a payment plan available. I used them since I bought my accord in 2008, however, when my breaks needed to be done I had to go to firestone, now I use them exclusively. I think car dealers need to cater to all americans,not just rich ones. Because of their lack of payment plans they lost me as a customer 2 years ago, there was another issue. My windshield wiper cleaner pump failed, I told them it was not the lines which I tested, not the pump itself that caused it, that it was due to electrical in the pigtail. They put a pump on, died in three days, then they put another aftermarket one for free with no warranty, which also died because they refused to listen to me because I'm a female. Firestone listened, they fixed the pigtail and now I can wash my windows..

Abril Hunter Tallahassee, FL

I have had my 2013 Honda CRV for over seven years and it has been nothing short of an amazing car. I’ve had no large issues with my car and maintenance on it is very easy. The Honda dealership always is willing to help service my car and give me information and advice when needed. I love my Honda and I don’t see myself ever having another car brand.

Lisa C Johnson Capitol Heights, MD

My husband and I just bought the Honda Odessey 2021 elite. It has all the bells and whistles. We have a smaller car also. But driving this minivan is like driving our smaller car. I like the parking feature that tells you when you are too close to objects. My kids watch movies on long drives. It keeps them from nagging us if we are there yet. The only thing I dont like is it constantly tells me to stay in my lane when I am in it. It does force me to use my turn signals or it will over correct to keep me in the lane. I understand what it is doing but it drives me crazy. Other than that this is a great car. I can carry up to 8 people comfortably. You can put the back seats down to put bikes into. Lots of room. Highly recommend for large families.

Marcie M Idaho Falls, ID

I have always driven a Honda ever since 2002. My first one was an Accord. It was an amazing, reliable vehicle. We drove it for 12 years without a single issue before we decided to upgrade. We also have owned two separate Odysseys. They have both been amazing cars as well. With regular oil changes and maintenance, Hondas will run beautifully for years. The vehicle I currently drive is a Honda Odyssey Touring edition. It drives like a dream. We absolutely love it for our family of 7. It has a DVD player, plenty of trunk room, heated leather seats, automatic doors, a sunroof, and much more. It gets good gas mileage. I LOVE Honda’s and most likely won’t ever drive anything else!

Vy Ha Birmingham, AL

It has good engines and the maintenance service is top tier for Honda since I get many remainders when my car needs something to be fixed before I come in just as a safety concern. I feel taken cared of and am satisifed

Ashton Chamberlain ID

Honda cars are very reliable and a lot of them have a great design. I have had the same Honda for over 10 years and it still runs excellent. Would definitely recommend.

Heather Riverton, UT

We own a 2014 Honda Pilot and a 2008 civic. They have both been very reliable. We get them serviced regularly and look forward to many more years of use of these vehicles.

J B Sandy, UT

First car I ever purchased was a Civic. We put nearly 250k miles on the car before donating it. Their road side assistance is great perk as well. Honda's are the best!

Terrah Anderson Herriman, UT

We LOVE our Honda minivan. Great value, keeps going after 13 years and 200,000+ miles. Love all the cupholders, floor mats that hook in, and of course the reliability.

Kayla M. Tallahassee, FL

I have a 2018 accord and I LOVE MY HONDA. These cars are durable, reliable, and economic. This car will last you and will not have constant issues, which an amazing build/look. Definitely worth the money, My car is the bomb

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

I have been a customer of Honda for more than 3 years and I have enjoyed every experience. The staff is very welcoming and of great service to ensure that all of my needs are met. I also enjoy driving my Honda, it is a reliable vehicle with great mileage.

Anne St. James

I own a Honda Fit and have found it to be the absolute best car I have ever owned. It is a dream to drive, with the footing of a Billy Goat in the snow and ice and holds my very large Greyhound and a lot of other stuff at the same time. Good cars, good company.

E. Castillo

They're not too expensive. These cars, especially the well taken care of, last a very long time. Keeping them updated is the best they can do to keep improving them. Honda is very good about the maintenance and quick too.

Stuart Schnitzer

I had a 2014 Odyssey and I have a 2016 Accord and a 2018 Odyssey. The 2014 had an interior deffect that Honda claimed was caused by blunt force to the panel. I found out recently that they are aware the defect was caused by natural oils in the drivers body due to defective materials, but Honda would not own up to it. The new technology, especially the collision avoidance system can actually cause an accident. Going around a steep left curve on a highway, if vehicles are heading toward you the system thinks you are headed for a collision and brakes. I a car pulls lanes and you do the same to avoid a collision the vehicle tries to pull you back into the lane causing a possible collision.

Shirley McClary for Robert McClary

Service Is great. Meet you at the car door when you drive in garage. Escort you to his or her desk. No waiting in line. Find out what the car needs done and escorts you to waiting room. Checks in to let you know what is going on and tells you when it is ready ade where it is parked.

Larry & Cristy

Quality is number 1. They have very high standards and their vehicles show it. Price is a little high, but you get what you pay for. They used to give coupon books to use their service department. That went by the wayside, and if not, they haven't given me one in my past 3 vehicles!

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

I m not new to the Honda brand my and I have been for at least 20 yrs and they’ve yet to disappoint. The quality of the cabin ride has improved quite a bit from the previous version not that they were bad but I love when you closed any door it feels like you are in a higher-end luxury car without the price tag. Now the handle of the suspension in sport mode takes it to another level.

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I love my Honda Odyssey! In fact its my second Odyssey -- I had my first one for 6 years! We can carry a tandem bicycle and still have seating for 4 people (3 + the driver)! If my husband and I want to take single bikes instead of the tandem, that works, too. It's great for family trips (short or long) -- lots of space, DVD player, navigation, air conditioning, heated seats and LOTS of cup holders and places to plug in electronics! What more can I say?

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Honda is an extremely reliable car. When I first started driving, I had a 2003 Honda Civic and it got me through high school. It was then given to my sister and she is still driving it. Currently, I have a 2003 Honda CRV. Maintenance on it is not expensive, and it runs well. Hopefully I will get a few more years from it. Honda makes a great manual transmission as well. The Civic was a manual and to this day it has been the smoothest manual car I have ever driven. Nothing beats Honda!

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

My family has had a wide variety of cars over the years and the ones that lasted the longest were always Hondas. My first (and current) car is a Honda and I love it. I've been in other types of cars that are newer than mine that have problems (like the windows won't roll up all the way) that I have never encountered and I don't expect to. I feel extremely safe driving in my car and I would recommend Hondas to anyone and everyone!

Samoya Calvin Jacksonville, FL

I just got a 2020 Honda Accord 2 months ago, moving from a Chevy Cruze. The interior is half leather half cloth which I love because my seats in my Chevy got dirty so quickly! And the features in the car are immaculate. There is assistance with Steering and the cruise control can detect cars in front so it slows down automatically for you. Two of the best features in my opinion.

Amanie Crosbie ,

The first car I purchased brand new was a 2008 Honda Accord LX. My husband and I are 5'11' and 6'6' so we needed a car with a lot of leg room to accommodate out long legs. Ift got great gas mileage and we had limited issues with the car while we had it. We loved it and put over 200,000 miles on it before my daughter got in a wreck and totaled it in 2017. If we had not had that accident it would still be running and my second daughter would happily be driving it.

McKenzie Logan, UT

I have driven a Honda vehicle since 1999. We have had several different accords and an odyssey. They are extremely reliable, and we have driven all of them until they have upwards of 200,000 miles on them. Yes, they can cost more than other makes of cars, but “you get what you pay for.” They are worth every penny. We have gotten our money’s worth!

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

I own a 2019 Honda CRV and it has been such a reliable car that has done exactly what they described when selling it to me. I recently had to get it serviced for the first time (tire rotation, oil change) and Honda made it such a smooth and easy process. They were so efficient in making me an appointment and getting it done in a timely fashion. Everything has stayed in top condition since purchasing the car. Honda has always provided me with high-quality and reliable auto service.

Amanda Hodges Little Rock, AR

I purchased a Honda Accord in 2012 and I loved it. It was a great car and got great gas mileage. I was able to give the car to my son who still drives it today and it remains in great shape. I would recommend this car because I never had any issues with it. The only thing I had to do was regular maintenance on it. It has over 200,000 miles and it is still going strong. It is a mid size car which is great for travel or commuting to and from work. It also has a large trunk and room in the back seat.

Janan Grange Pleasant Grove, UT

We currently own two Honda Accord's at our home. We have one that is quite a bit older for our teenager and it has given us no problems and still runs great and the other one is still running great too. The older one has 150,000 miles on it and we haven't really had to take it in the shop for maintenance. We chose Honda's because they known to be reliable.

Shedot1 Clearfield, UT

Married my husband because he drove a Honda. Not really, but it was impressive to me that he drove such a sensible car. Survived Illinois ice storms that froze the doors shut, Utah heat that made the make and model decals melt off, and crazy Wisconsin salted winter roads. It wasn’t pretty, but the car kept running and never had a huge expense to repair it to get it back to running properly. Rarely needed repairs.

April H Lehi, UT

Honda could be called Old Faithful as far as I'm concerned. I've driven two Hondas - a Pilot and an Odyssey - and they have both been my longest owned and most reliable cars. I also enjoy driving them. I feel like they drive very smooth and just great quality. I am sure we are not done with Hondas. We will buy more in years to come. I would highly recommend them - especially the mini van for busy, large families.

Wesley Jackson Owings Mills, MD

My wife has had nearly every model of Honda. They have all been incredibly user friendly, reliable and inexpensive to own. She will not buy any other brand of vehicle because of this. When we trade them in we get much more than we expected each time. Can't say enough about how much we enjoyed using all of our Honda's over the years. 00' Civic to '12 Pilot and many in-between.

Derrian Tallahassee, FL

All of the vehicles I've ever had has always been Honda! Their vehicles are always reliable and each honda vehicle lasts for over 15 years! They ride so smoothly and the I love the warranty they give thier customers! I will buy my children hinda vehicles just because I know for a fact they will something reliable and something that will last them as long as they need.

BJ Tenney Woods Cross, UT

We own a Pilot and a brand new Civic. We've done regular maintenance on our Pilot and never had a single problem with it. I love that it can tow small loads and has room for our growing family. We decided to stick with the Honda brand when my previous commuter car went out. I've only had my Civic a few months, but am extremely happy with the purchase.

Miles Strother American Fork, UT

In 2007, my family decided to buy two Honda cars, one Civic coup and one Accord sedan. Both have needed minimal work done on them, and still run to this year. Only last year did my parents upgrade to a new Accord. The Civic has made numerous trips to Utah, California, Arkansas, and all around. Very reliable, and probably the best value you can find.