Honda Logo

Honda

9.8

Honda Motor Company is a Japanese car manufacturer founded in 1946. As one part of Japan’s Big Three automakers, Honda started as a motorcycle engine maker and has grown to be one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world.

With its Acura line, which was first released in 1986, Honda was the first Japanese manufacturer to make a luxury offshoot brand. The Honda Civic is the automaker’s best-selling model. You can shop Honda’s lineup at 1,050 dealerships nationwide.

Keep reading our Honda review to learn more about the pros and cons of choosing Honda or skip to the Honda reviews.

The Good

• Award Recognition
  • Sustainability Efforts
  • Dependability
  • Customer Satisfaction
  • Efficiency
  • Safety Features
  • HondaLink App
  • Product Diversification

Award Recognition

Accredited review sites recognize Honda as a reliable automaker. According to recent awards, Honda excels in areas of reliability, sustainability, and affordability. Honda was named one of the Top 5 Car Brands in 2020 by BestCompany.com. Below is a list of some of the most recognized Honda models within their respective vehicle categories. These are great options to explore when selecting a car from Honda’s lineup.

Cars

Honda Insight

• NHTSA 5-Star Safety Ratings
  • 2020 IIHS Top Safety Pick+

Sustainability Efforts

Honda creates environmentally-friendly vehicles with hybrid and electric options. Some of these models have been recognized as some of the best in the industry. The Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid received an award from Kelly Blue Book for its value and dependability. Honda has six different hybrid and electric vehicle options to choose from.

Current sustainable offerings include the following:

• Honda Insight
  • Honda CR-V Hybrid
  • Honda Accord Hybrid
  • Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
  • Honda Clarity Fuel Cell

The automaker also optimizes its manufacturing process to cut back on harmful emissions. Honda’s green path consists of four major initiatives to stay environmentally active: reduce vehicle footprint, reduce CO2 emissions, incentivize green Honda dealerships, and eliminate waste. The sustainability effort began in 2015 and continues to be a main focus for the company.

Dependability

Honda ranked above average on the latest JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study at #12 out of 31. Additionally, Polk Data found that 75 percent of Honda vehicles sold between 1988 and 2012 were still on the road in 2013, more than any other brand.

Customer Satisfaction

Honda customers express long-term satisfaction with their vehicle purchase. In the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index rankings, Honda placed very well; only four companies scored ahead of it: Volvo, Porsche, Lexus, and Subaru. This is great, especially considering that most of these are luxury brands, not mainstream.

According to Honda reviews on BestCompany.com, 97 percent of users give Honda a 4 or 5-star rating. Reviewers are satisfied with the quality, longevity, fuel efficiency, and reliability of Honda vehicles.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Dawnson Sandersn

“Honda is a great car for those who love gas efficient vehicles. Honda has been at the top of the car business for a long time and they are phenomenal!”

Fuel Efficiency

Honda competes with Toyota for the best fuel efficiency. According to a report published by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Honda’s U.S. fleet has the highest average fuel efficiency and admits the lowest CO2 emission levels. The U.S. fleet gets an impressive fuel economy of 29.4 miles per gallon on average. Over the last five years, Honda has improved its average fuel economy by over 3 mpg.

Affordability

Honda’s above-average fuel economy makes owning a car more affordable. You can also save on upfront costs of purchasing a new car. Honda offers some of the most affordable vehicles on the market comparable to other top brands such as Chevrolet and Toyota. The Honda Fit Hatchback is the least expensive model with an MSRP of about $17,000. Even the most expensive model, the Honda Civic Type R, is priced similar to competitors.

Safety Features

Honda has created its own safety technology to keep drivers and passengers safe. Most of these features are similar to other offerings by top car brands. HondaSensing is the company’s safety tech line and comes on most new Honda vehicles. The HondaSensing includes the following features:

• Collision Mitigation Braking System
  • Road Departure Mitigation System
  • Lane Keeping Assist System
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Honda LaneWatch

Honda envisions a future where collisions are a worry of the past. The automotive company’s development team aims to create a collision-free world by the year 2040. The goal utilizes innovative safety concepts and designs. Honda created the world’s most advanced crash-test facility. The facility is used to carry out advanced safety tests and make evaluations for upgraded safety features. SAFE SWARM is an original concept aimed at connecting cars on the road. Increased connectivity would help evaluate traffic flow and prevent traffic accidents.

HondaLink App

Similar to many other major car manufacturers, Honda provides a specialized app for customers. The HondaLink App has several unique features to help improve your vehicle ownership experience. The app sends vehicle updates, connects to emergency services, provides remote vehicle access, and tracks your driving habits. You can also connect with Amazon Alexa for access to voice commands or set up with your vehicle with Amazon KEY delivery service.

• Vehicle Updates — HondaLink gives up up-to-date information on your car readings. The app records your car’s parked location for easy recall. View other key details about your vehicle including your mileage, oil level, and fuel level. You will also be notified if a warning light turns on or if you should schedule a maintenance appointment.
  • Emergency Services — Help is just a few clicks away on the HondaLink app. Call for roadside assistance to get towing or repair help. In the event of an accident, the app will notify response agents to send help. The emergency service feature comes complimentary on new vehicles for the first 12 months and then can be purchased as a yearly subscription.
  • Remote Access — Remote access allows you to control basic car functions from your smartphone. For example, you can lock, unlock, and start your vehicle on the app.
  • Driving Habits — The HondaLink app records your driving habits so that you can learn how to improve and refine your driving skills. You will receive an overall driving score and some specific tips on how you can improve your driving. You can also opt to send this information to your insurance company to potentially save money on your policy premium.

Product Diversification

If you are satisfied with your Honda vehicle, explore other product options from a brand you know and trust. Honda produces other products aside from its vehicle lineup. For example, Honda manufactures motorcycles, ATVs, scooters, power equipment, boats, and planes. The only other car companies that build and sell motorcycles are Suzuki and BMW.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Many Honda models from 2001 to 2015 model years were included in the Takata airbag recall. However, Honda is not the only company involved in this industry-record recall. If you drive a Honda made during this time period, check your VIN with the company’s recall database to be sure you are safe.

The Bottom Line

Honda makes affordable, dependable cars, SUVs, and pickups. Its lineup has been given a bevy of awards for safety, the lowest five-year cost to own, and best resale value. The HondaLink app makes vehicle management convenient. You can also explore other Honda products from motorcycles to lawnmowers. The automakers’ commitment to sustainability and efficiency makes buying a Honda a conscious choice for your wallet and the environment.

If you are interested in purchasing a Honda car, start by reading Honda reviews from customers. Learn what model works best for your lifestyle. Research the various models and test drive them at a nearby Honda dealership. Whichever model you decide to purchase, you can expect that it will be with you for quite some time.

View Best Car Brands

Lisa C Johnson Capitol Heights, MD

My husband and I just bought the Honda Odessey 2021 elite. It has all the bells and whistles. We have a smaller car also. But driving this minivan is like driving our smaller car. I like the parking feature that tells you when you are too close to objects. My kids watch movies on long drives. It keeps them from nagging us if we are there yet. The only thing I dont like is it constantly tells me to stay in my lane when I am in it. It does force me to use my turn signals or it will over correct to keep me in the lane. I understand what it is doing but it drives me crazy. Other than that this is a great car. I can carry up to 8 people comfortably. You can put the back seats down to put bikes into. Lots of room. Highly recommend for large families.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I bought my wife a Honda Accord last year and frequently drive it to work. It drives smoothly and has great gas mileage. Unfortunently I can’t take it off the road but other than that it is a perfect car that is well suited for my small family.

Jenetta E Provo, UT

What I love the most about Honda is that their cars are reliable and they last. My family has everything from a 30 year old Honda that is still running, to a 5 year old Honda that we trust to keep us getting places safely on a day to day basis.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

The best cars I've ever had have been Hondas. I have a 2001 Honda Accord that still works great and gets the best gas mileage of any car I've ever had. It has been very easy to handle and the interior is extremely spacious for not being a very big car.

Olivia Hardy Olney, MD

I m not new to the Honda brand my and I have been for at least 20 yrs and they’ve yet to disappoint. The quality of the cabin ride has improved quite a bit from the previous version not that they were bad but I love when you closed any door it feels like you are in a higher-end luxury car without the price tag. Now the handle of the suspension in sport mode takes it to another level.

Madisen Cluff CA

Hondas are the most reliable vehicle! My family has owned the same Honda van for 15 years and it still works like a charm. We only ever had one minor engine problem with it but other than that it has never had a problem.

Noah Provo, UT

These things last forever with next to no servicing. In the 5 years I've used my Honda, I have changed tires, oil, and wiper blades. That's it. It still runs smoothly at 100000+ miles.

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

I toggle between Honda and Nissaan, usually as a result of what deals are being offered. I have bought Nissaan the last couple of cars mainly because Honda is just not as competitive with offers and perks. It's a shame because the Honda dealers in this area are much nicer and service centers are more trustworthy than my experience with the Nissaan service centers.

Jessica Chen Rockville, MD

My experience was the most enjoyable I ever had when buying a car. I knew what I wanted and the salesmen got me the best deal in my area. Buying the car was fast and efficient. The staff was friendly, and the dealership was clean. I also like the free delivery service. It's nice to know I now have a place to buy a car that gives great customer service and won't rip me off.

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

As a loyal Honda owner, I have had relatively good experience. Although, my 2003 Accord ate oxygen sensors, gas mileage was great, my 2006 Odyssey eats batteries, but runs well. Hondas are popular for modification and racing. Hondas have the option of real leather interiors.

Brenda Nakhon Sawan, 60

I swear Honda’s never die. I own a 2003 Honda van and it is still running great. It has been driven to and from Utah multiple times and has had no issues.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

I have had my Honda for 15 years and it still is in great working condition! This company knows how to make a great quality car for an affordable price! The Honda staff are also always very helpful and so friendly!!

Mark

Excellent reputation, quick response to questions, very friendly and knowledgeable salesforce and product that set the standard for quality, delivery and a very competitive cost relative to others when dependability is one of the points in the rating systems

Vicki H. Poolesville, MD

I love my Honda Odyssey! In fact its my second Odyssey -- I had my first one for 6 years! We can carry a tandem bicycle and still have seating for 4 people (3 + the driver)! If my husband and I want to take single bikes instead of the tandem, that works, too. It's great for family trips (short or long) -- lots of space, DVD player, navigation, air conditioning, heated seats and LOTS of cup holders and places to plug in electronics! What more can I say?

Marcie M Idaho Falls, ID

I have always driven a Honda ever since 2002. My first one was an Accord. It was an amazing, reliable vehicle. We drove it for 12 years without a single issue before we decided to upgrade. We also have owned two separate Odysseys. They have both been amazing cars as well. With regular oil changes and maintenance, Hondas will run beautifully for years. The vehicle I currently drive is a Honda Odyssey Touring edition. It drives like a dream. We absolutely love it for our family of 7. It has a DVD player, plenty of trunk room, heated leather seats, automatic doors, a sunroof, and much more. It gets good gas mileage. I LOVE Honda’s and most likely won’t ever drive anything else!

Nelly Nakhon Sawan, 60

I drive a Honda Accord and love it. It drives smoothly and has great gas mileage. The seats are comfortable which makes long drives more bare able.

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

I’ve had my Honda since 2006 and still love it! It’s still in great condition and has had no serious issues or needed repairs

Jan

Honda knows how to build a car, that sturdy and dependable. I have had a CRV for 10 years, and I only have to take it in for normal maintenance, oil change and tire rotation.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have always loved my Honda’s. They have always been the most reliable vehicles, and when I have had a mechanical problem, it has always been Minimal and an easy fix. I really like the exterior look as well which is always a plus.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Honda is an extremely reliable car. When I first started driving, I had a 2003 Honda Civic and it got me through high school. It was then given to my sister and she is still driving it. Currently, I have a 2003 Honda CRV. Maintenance on it is not expensive, and it runs well. Hopefully I will get a few more years from it. Honda makes a great manual transmission as well. The Civic was a manual and to this day it has been the smoothest manual car I have ever driven. Nothing beats Honda!

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

My family has had a wide variety of cars over the years and the ones that lasted the longest were always Hondas. My first (and current) car is a Honda and I love it. I've been in other types of cars that are newer than mine that have problems (like the windows won't roll up all the way) that I have never encountered and I don't expect to. I feel extremely safe driving in my car and I would recommend Hondas to anyone and everyone!

Samoya Calvin Jacksonville, FL

I just got a 2020 Honda Accord 2 months ago, moving from a Chevy Cruze. The interior is half leather half cloth which I love because my seats in my Chevy got dirty so quickly! And the features in the car are immaculate. There is assistance with Steering and the cruise control can detect cars in front so it slows down automatically for you. Two of the best features in my opinion.

Amanie Crosbie ,

The first car I purchased brand new was a 2008 Honda Accord LX. My husband and I are 5'11' and 6'6' so we needed a car with a lot of leg room to accommodate out long legs. Ift got great gas mileage and we had limited issues with the car while we had it. We loved it and put over 200,000 miles on it before my daughter got in a wreck and totaled it in 2017. If we had not had that accident it would still be running and my second daughter would happily be driving it.

McKenzie Logan, UT

I have driven a Honda vehicle since 1999. We have had several different accords and an odyssey. They are extremely reliable, and we have driven all of them until they have upwards of 200,000 miles on them. Yes, they can cost more than other makes of cars, but “you get what you pay for.” They are worth every penny. We have gotten our money’s worth!

John M Stanley

Since 2007, we have purchased/driven 3 Honda Odyssey's, 1 CR-V and 1 Honda Accord (6 cyl) and so far, they have been the best vehicles we've had the pleasure to own and drive. One problem with our first '07 Odyssey, the white paint chipped all the time - that has been the only problem in 12 years. The CR-V, EX-L was a 2012 model, very light car, not enough horsepower, but when you get 33 mpg in town, who cares? The accord is my personal car - lots of horses under the hood, leather seats, "zooming car"! And on the highway, I get about 30 mpg - pretty sweet! The only vehicle I think that really needs improvement is the CR-V; yes, I realize it now comes with a turbo 4 - wow, 190 HP, give me a break; should be around 235-255 HP, then that would be a SUV that would be competitive!

Morgan Idaho Falls, ID

We have a 2015 Honda CR-V and we love it! It’s a beautiful car with great gas mileage and no major issues so far.

Amberlee Hildebrand Orem, UT

I owned and drive an Accord for some time. It was a good car: well built, reliable, and comfortable.

Taylor Larson Pho Thale, 66

Honda is a reliable car brand. I love the quality of the vehicle I drive and how affordable their vehicles are.

Mary Hardy Annapolis, MD

Lots of great things. Spacious interior with lots of passenger space and Comfortable front seats there are also Many clever storage compartments

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Such a reliable auto maker. I’ve always love Honda and Toyota. Their cars are dependable and that’s what you look for most in a car. Cars/SUVs are beautiful and the price is worth the investment.

Alexa Williamson Orem, UT

We currently own a Honda Fit and we love that little car! It’s the perfect commuter can and it’s inexpensive to fill the take and it’s get about 30 miles to the gallon. We love efficient it is and can’t wait to see where it takes us. I love feeling like I have a reliable can and I’m greatly to know that Honda is just that!

murfday College Station, TX

My first Honda has been their Odyssey minivan. We had bad luck of a blown tire, hail damage and then a collision all within the first year. But we liked it so much that we got a second Odyssey immediately after the first was totaled. The fee dealerships we have dealt with have all been positive.

Oliver Sherren Provo, UT

I really love my Honda HRV. I got it about 2 years ago and besides some initial issues, I highly recommend Honda. My family has had a variety of car brands over the years but time and again, we keep coming back to Honda for the quality and durability of the cars they make.

Lars Hamilton Carmel, IN

Super reliable cars. Have one that’s going on 15 years with minor repairs and regular maintenance. Have another new one that has been super reliable and just feels quality. Honda fan for life. Best value car out there. -1 star for the horrible buying experience at the dealerships. The whole industry of auto sales needs to be transparent and automated. No more slimy salespeople and gimmicks. Yuck.

Wendy Rowlette Morgan, UT

We have a Honda Accord that is still running strong and is over 20 years old. Its been driven by two teenagers in our house and probably more before we got it. The interior has held up well and of course proper vehicle maintenance has made this car last a long time.

Picnicky82 Logan, UT

One of my first cars was a 2002 Honda Accord. I loved that car so much. After graduated college I decided to get a small SUV and opted for a Ford because it was more affordable. I had that car for 2 years and had multiple problems. I ended up trading it in for a 2019 CRV and I couldn’t love it more. I do wish they were a little cheaper.

Paris Salt Lake City, UT

We own a Honda CR-V and absolutely love it. It has gotten us all over on our many travels and through a few years of living in a snowy place. When we run this one into the ground we will be sure to purchase another Honda again!

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

We've owned a 2007 Honda CRV for about 10 years now and it has been the most trouble free car we have ever had. I keep up on the scheduled maintenance and that is about all we have had to do. The car has 160,000 mile on it and we expect many more out of it. The only problem we have had was the automatic locks had some issues and we paid an auto shop to replace the actuators on two doors. That was expensive but it now works fine.

Dawn cline

I think they need to have a payment plan available. I used them since I bought my accord in 2008, however, when my breaks needed to be done I had to go to firestone, now I use them exclusively. I think car dealers need to cater to all americans,not just rich ones. Because of their lack of payment plans they lost me as a customer 2 years ago, there was another issue. My windshield wiper cleaner pump failed, I told them it was not the lines which I tested, not the pump itself that caused it, that it was due to electrical in the pigtail. They put a pump on, died in three days, then they put another aftermarket one for free with no warranty, which also died because they refused to listen to me because I'm a female. Firestone listened, they fixed the pigtail and now I can wash my windows..

Jonathan

Very good experience with Honda. Even their dealerships go above and beyond. I like their legendary durability, quality, and reliability. They are also very well styled for the most part and have a very nice looking logo. They need to continue making sporty cars as well as make a 2 door coupe Accord since the new 4 door Accord has questionable styling.

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

I own a 2019 Honda CRV and it has been such a reliable car that has done exactly what they described when selling it to me. I recently had to get it serviced for the first time (tire rotation, oil change) and Honda made it such a smooth and easy process. They were so efficient in making me an appointment and getting it done in a timely fashion. Everything has stayed in top condition since purchasing the car. Honda has always provided me with high-quality and reliable auto service.

D Rockville, MD

I really like Honda’s cars because I believe that they are safe and have a good design with interesting features.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

Honda has such high quality and long lasting cars. I have had very little to no problems with hondas for years. I also love the layout and comfort of the car.

Sicely Lyn Russell Chandler, AZ

I have a Honda Fit 2009 and I love it! It's a cute car and I haven't had any problems with it! I wish it had a Bluetooth but other than that it's amazing!

Jennifer Salt Lake City, UT

Easy to drive, but the car service is not very good.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

I have owned many Honda cars over the years (5+ cars) and have found them to be reliable and solid vehicles. They may be a little pricey compared to some other car companies that they compete with, but overall I have been happy with the Hondas I have owned.

Lisa Gamble Layton, UT

I’ve had my 2011 Honda Pilot for 10 years and with over 200,000 miles on it it’s still going strong. Tires, battery and normal maintenance it’s still drives like a champ! Love Honda, best investment of my hard earned money!

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

My only complaint with the Honda I owned was the road noise on the Honda Accord Coupe. It was a really fun car to drive to be honest. Really quick and comfortable. I was just so surprised by how much road noise. Everything else about the car was amazing though. And Honda has similar reliability to that of Toyota (I am a huge fan of Toyota).

Julia Justis Smithfield, UT

I used to have all sorts of problems with my cars...until I got a Honda. Haven’t had a single problem in the last 12 years since I’ve owned my Honda. So reliable. What else could you want?

Megan Melanson Las Vegas, NV

I love my Honda! It’s the best car company. My car never has any maintained issues. It’s extremely reliable. I love the features Honda has to offer without blowing the bank. I will have a Honda for the rest of my life!