Honda Logo

Honda

9.8

Honda Motor Company is a Japanese car manufacturer founded in 1946. As one part of Japan’s Big Three automakers, Honda started as a motorcycle engine maker and has grown to be one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world.

With its Acura line, which was first released in 1986, Honda was the first Japanese manufacturer to make a luxury offshoot brand. The Honda Civic is the automaker’s best-selling model. You can shop Honda’s lineup at 1,050 dealerships nationwide.

Keep reading our Honda review to learn more about the pros and cons of choosing Honda or skip to the Honda reviews.

The Good

• Award Recognition
  • Sustainability Efforts
  • Dependability
  • Customer Satisfaction
  • Efficiency
  • Safety Features
  • HondaLink App
  • Product Diversification

Award Recognition

Accredited review sites recognize Honda as a reliable automaker. According to recent awards, Honda excels in areas of reliability, sustainability, and affordability. Honda was named one of the Top 5 Car Brands in 2020 by BestCompany.com. Below is a list of some of the most recognized Honda models within their respective vehicle categories. These are great options to explore when selecting a car from Honda’s lineup.

Cars

Honda Insight

• NHTSA 5-Star Safety Ratings
  • 2020 IIHS Top Safety Pick+

Sustainability Efforts

Honda creates environmentally-friendly vehicles with hybrid and electric options. Some of these models have been recognized as some of the best in the industry. The Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid received an award from Kelly Blue Book for its value and dependability. Honda has six different hybrid and electric vehicle options to choose from.

Current sustainable offerings include the following:

• Honda Insight
  • Honda CR-V Hybrid
  • Honda Accord Hybrid
  • Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
  • Honda Clarity Fuel Cell

The automaker also optimizes its manufacturing process to cut back on harmful emissions. Honda’s green path consists of four major initiatives to stay environmentally active: reduce vehicle footprint, reduce CO2 emissions, incentivize green Honda dealerships, and eliminate waste. The sustainability effort began in 2015 and continues to be a main focus for the company.

Dependability

Honda ranked above average on the latest JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study at #12 out of 31. Additionally, Polk Data found that 75 percent of Honda vehicles sold between 1988 and 2012 were still on the road in 2013, more than any other brand.

Customer Satisfaction

Honda customers express long-term satisfaction with their vehicle purchase. In the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index rankings, Honda placed very well; only four companies scored ahead of it: Volvo, Porsche, Lexus, and Subaru. This is great, especially considering that most of these are luxury brands, not mainstream.

According to Honda reviews on BestCompany.com, 97 percent of users give Honda a 4 or 5-star rating. Reviewers are satisfied with the quality, longevity, fuel efficiency, and reliability of Honda vehicles.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Dawnson Sanders

“Honda is a great car for those who love gas efficient vehicles. Honda has been at the top of the car business for a long time and they are phenomenal!”

Fuel Efficiency

Honda competes with Toyota for the best fuel efficiency. According to a report published by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Honda’s U.S. fleet has the highest average fuel efficiency and admits the lowest CO2 emission levels. The U.S. fleet gets an impressive fuel economy of 29.4 miles per gallon on average. Over the last five years, Honda has improved its average fuel economy by over 3 mpg.

Affordability

Honda’s above-average fuel economy makes owning a car more affordable. You can also save on upfront costs of purchasing a new car. Honda offers some of the most affordable vehicles on the market comparable to other top brands such as Chevrolet and Toyota. The Honda Fit Hatchback is the least expensive model with an MSRP of about $17,000. Even the most expensive model, the Honda Civic Type R, is priced similar to competitors.

Safety Features

Honda has created its own safety technology to keep drivers and passengers safe. Most of these features are similar to other offerings by top car brands. HondaSensing is the company’s safety tech line and comes on most new Honda vehicles. The HondaSensing includes the following features:

• Collision Mitigation Braking System
  • Road Departure Mitigation System
  • Lane Keeping Assist System
  • Adaptive Cruise Control
  • Honda LaneWatch

Honda envisions a future where collisions are a worry of the past. The automotive company’s development team aims to create a collision-free world by the year 2040. The goal utilizes innovative safety concepts and designs. Honda created the world’s most advanced crash-test facility. The facility is used to carry out advanced safety tests and make evaluations for upgraded safety features. SAFE SWARM is an original concept aimed at connecting cars on the road. Increased connectivity would help evaluate traffic flow and prevent traffic accidents.

HondaLink App

Similar to many other major car manufacturers, Honda provides a specialized app for customers. The HondaLink App has several unique features to help improve your vehicle ownership experience. The app sends vehicle updates, connects to emergency services, provides remote vehicle access, and tracks your driving habits. You can also connect with Amazon Alexa for access to voice commands or set up with your vehicle with Amazon KEY delivery service.

• Vehicle Updates — HondaLink gives up up-to-date information on your car readings. The app records your car’s parked location for easy recall. View other key details about your vehicle including your mileage, oil level, and fuel level. You will also be notified if a warning light turns on or if you should schedule a maintenance appointment.
  • Emergency Services — Help is just a few clicks away on the HondaLink app. Call for roadside assistance to get towing or repair help. In the event of an accident, the app will notify response agents to send help. The emergency service feature comes complimentary on new vehicles for the first 12 months and then can be purchased as a yearly subscription.
  • Remote Access — Remote access allows you to control basic car functions from your smartphone. For example, you can lock, unlock, and start your vehicle on the app.
  • Driving Habits — The HondaLink app records your driving habits so that you can learn how to improve and refine your driving skills. You will receive an overall driving score and some specific tips on how you can improve your driving. You can also opt to send this information to your insurance company to potentially save money on your policy premium.

Product Diversification

If you are satisfied with your Honda vehicle, explore other product options from a brand you know and trust. Honda produces other products aside from its vehicle lineup. For example, Honda manufactures motorcycles, ATVs, scooters, power equipment, boats, and planes. The only other car companies that build and sell motorcycles are Suzuki and BMW.

The Bad

Takata Recall

Many Honda models from 2001 to 2015 model years were included in the Takata airbag recall. However, Honda is not the only company involved in this industry-record recall. If you drive a Honda made during this time period, check your VIN with the company’s recall database to be sure you are safe.

The Bottom Line

Honda makes affordable, dependable cars, SUVs, and pickups. Its lineup has been given a bevy of awards for safety, the lowest five-year cost to own, and best resale value. The HondaLink app makes vehicle management convenient. You can also explore other Honda products from motorcycles to lawnmowers. The automakers’ commitment to sustainability and efficiency makes buying a Honda a conscious choice for your wallet and the environment.

If you are interested in purchasing a Honda car, start by reading Honda reviews from customers. Learn what model works best for your lifestyle. Research the various models and test drive them at a nearby Honda dealership. Whichever model you decide to purchase, you can expect that it will be with you for quite some time.

View Best Car Brands

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have always loved my Honda’s. They have always been the most reliable vehicles, and when I have had a mechanical problem, it has always been Minimal and an easy fix. I really like the exterior look as well which is always a plus.

Mark

Excellent reputation, quick response to questions, very friendly and knowledgeable salesforce and product that set the standard for quality, delivery and a very competitive cost relative to others when dependability is one of the points in the rating systems

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

Honda is an extremely reliable car. When I first started driving, I had a 2003 Honda Civic and it got me through high school. It was then given to my sister and she is still driving it. Currently, I have a 2003 Honda CRV. Maintenance on it is not expensive, and it runs well. Hopefully I will get a few more years from it. Honda makes a great manual transmission as well. The Civic was a manual and to this day it has been the smoothest manual car I have ever driven. Nothing beats Honda!

Katrina Breithaupt Provo, UT

My family has had a wide variety of cars over the years and the ones that lasted the longest were always Hondas. My first (and current) car is a Honda and I love it. I've been in other types of cars that are newer than mine that have problems (like the windows won't roll up all the way) that I have never encountered and I don't expect to. I feel extremely safe driving in my car and I would recommend Hondas to anyone and everyone!

Marcie M Idaho Falls, ID

I have always driven a Honda ever since 2002. My first one was an Accord. It was an amazing, reliable vehicle. We drove it for 12 years without a single issue before we decided to upgrade. We also have owned two separate Odysseys. They have both been amazing cars as well. With regular oil changes and maintenance, Hondas will run beautifully for years. The vehicle I currently drive is a Honda Odyssey Touring edition. It drives like a dream. We absolutely love it for our family of 7. It has a DVD player, plenty of trunk room, heated leather seats, automatic doors, a sunroof, and much more. It gets good gas mileage. I LOVE Honda’s and most likely won’t ever drive anything else!

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Such a reliable auto maker. I’ve always love Honda and Toyota. Their cars are dependable and that’s what you look for most in a car. Cars/SUVs are beautiful and the price is worth the investment.

Jan

Honda knows how to build a car, that sturdy and dependable. I have had a CRV for 10 years, and I only have to take it in for normal maintenance, oil change and tire rotation.

Alexa Williamson Orem, UT

We currently own a Honda Fit and we love that little car! It’s the perfect commuter can and it’s inexpensive to fill the take and it’s get about 30 miles to the gallon. We love efficient it is and can’t wait to see where it takes us. I love feeling like I have a reliable can and I’m greatly to know that Honda is just that!

murfday College Station, TX

My first Honda has been their Odyssey minivan. We had bad luck of a blown tire, hail damage and then a collision all within the first year. But we liked it so much that we got a second Odyssey immediately after the first was totaled. The fee dealerships we have dealt with have all been positive.

Oliver Sherren Provo, UT

I really love my Honda HRV. I got it about 2 years ago and besides some initial issues, I highly recommend Honda. My family has had a variety of car brands over the years but time and again, we keep coming back to Honda for the quality and durability of the cars they make.

Lars Hamilton Carmel, IN

Super reliable cars. Have one that’s going on 15 years with minor repairs and regular maintenance. Have another new one that has been super reliable and just feels quality. Honda fan for life. Best value car out there. -1 star for the horrible buying experience at the dealerships. The whole industry of auto sales needs to be transparent and automated. No more slimy salespeople and gimmicks. Yuck.

Samoya Calvin Jacksonville, FL

I just got a 2020 Honda Accord 2 months ago, moving from a Chevy Cruze. The interior is half leather half cloth which I love because my seats in my Chevy got dirty so quickly! And the features in the car are immaculate. There is assistance with Steering and the cruise control can detect cars in front so it slows down automatically for you. Two of the best features in my opinion.

Amanie Crosbie ,

The first car I purchased brand new was a 2008 Honda Accord LX. My husband and I are 5'11' and 6'6' so we needed a car with a lot of leg room to accommodate out long legs. Ift got great gas mileage and we had limited issues with the car while we had it. We loved it and put over 200,000 miles on it before my daughter got in a wreck and totaled it in 2017. If we had not had that accident it would still be running and my second daughter would happily be driving it.

McKenzie Logan, UT

I have driven a Honda vehicle since 1999. We have had several different accords and an odyssey. They are extremely reliable, and we have driven all of them until they have upwards of 200,000 miles on them. Yes, they can cost more than other makes of cars, but “you get what you pay for.” They are worth every penny. We have gotten our money’s worth!

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

Honda has such high quality and long lasting cars. I have had very little to no problems with hondas for years. I also love the layout and comfort of the car.

Sicely Lyn Russell Chandler, AZ

I have a Honda Fit 2009 and I love it! It's a cute car and I haven't had any problems with it! I wish it had a Bluetooth but other than that it's amazing!

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

I have owned many Honda cars over the years (5+ cars) and have found them to be reliable and solid vehicles. They may be a little pricey compared to some other car companies that they compete with, but overall I have been happy with the Hondas I have owned.

Lisa Gamble Layton, UT

I’ve had my 2011 Honda Pilot for 10 years and with over 200,000 miles on it it’s still going strong. Tires, battery and normal maintenance it’s still drives like a champ! Love Honda, best investment of my hard earned money!

Corbin Short West Wendover, NV

My only complaint with the Honda I owned was the road noise on the Honda Accord Coupe. It was a really fun car to drive to be honest. Really quick and comfortable. I was just so surprised by how much road noise. Everything else about the car was amazing though. And Honda has similar reliability to that of Toyota (I am a huge fan of Toyota).

Wendy Rowlette Morgan, UT

We have a Honda Accord that is still running strong and is over 20 years old. Its been driven by two teenagers in our house and probably more before we got it. The interior has held up well and of course proper vehicle maintenance has made this car last a long time.

Picnicky82 Logan, UT

One of my first cars was a 2002 Honda Accord. I loved that car so much. After graduated college I decided to get a small SUV and opted for a Ford because it was more affordable. I had that car for 2 years and had multiple problems. I ended up trading it in for a 2019 CRV and I couldn’t love it more. I do wish they were a little cheaper.

Paris Salt Lake City, UT

We own a Honda CR-V and absolutely love it. It has gotten us all over on our many travels and through a few years of living in a snowy place. When we run this one into the ground we will be sure to purchase another Honda again!

Katie Kertzman Rogers, AR

I own a 2019 Honda CRV and it has been such a reliable car that has done exactly what they described when selling it to me. I recently had to get it serviced for the first time (tire rotation, oil change) and Honda made it such a smooth and easy process. They were so efficient in making me an appointment and getting it done in a timely fashion. Everything has stayed in top condition since purchasing the car. Honda has always provided me with high-quality and reliable auto service.

John M Stanley

Since 2007, we have purchased/driven 3 Honda Odyssey's, 1 CR-V and 1 Honda Accord (6 cyl) and so far, they have been the best vehicles we've had the pleasure to own and drive. One problem with our first '07 Odyssey, the white paint chipped all the time - that has been the only problem in 12 years. The CR-V, EX-L was a 2012 model, very light car, not enough horsepower, but when you get 33 mpg in town, who cares? The accord is my personal car - lots of horses under the hood, leather seats, "zooming car"! And on the highway, I get about 30 mpg - pretty sweet! The only vehicle I think that really needs improvement is the CR-V; yes, I realize it now comes with a turbo 4 - wow, 190 HP, give me a break; should be around 235-255 HP, then that would be a SUV that would be competitive!

Andy Beall Damascus, MD

My Honda Pilot has been great in the snow and a wonderful vehicle to transport our kids to see the grandparents in West Virginia. Reliability and comfort all the way!

Jun Chen Rockville, MD

I have a car of Honda Accord. It is safe and economy. It is also convenient to service. I can buy some parts and filter from store to change by myself.

Cassidy Blaser American Fork, UT

I love my Honda Civic! It has amazing features like the blind spot camera, back up camera and touch screen. Very safe and reliable car.

Tammy West Valley City, UT

Drove a Honda for years and loved it. Such a reliable and affordable car. I love that Honda’s hold their value over time. Great car!

Melissa M Kansas City, MO

Great cars without tons of maintenance. Most recent purchase was a CRV. They are reliable and great cars even if you need to buy used.

Julia Justis Smithfield, UT

I used to have all sorts of problems with my cars...until I got a Honda. Haven’t had a single problem in the last 12 years since I’ve owned my Honda. So reliable. What else could you want?

Megan Melanson Las Vegas, NV

I love my Honda! It’s the best car company. My car never has any maintained issues. It’s extremely reliable. I love the features Honda has to offer without blowing the bank. I will have a Honda for the rest of my life!

Crystal Logan, UT

I have had honda automobiles most of my adult life. They run well with little need for repair. My last Honda went over 200,000 miles. We are looking to move from a odyssey to a crv.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

One of my favorite cars I ever owned was a Honda Civic. It was a great car and got me around town in style. It got great gas mileage as well. It held it's value extremely well and I sold it for almost as much as I paid for it.

Diana Ploeger Oakley, UT

I have purchased at least seven Honda vehicles over the last 40 years. Not one of them has had a major issue. The vehicles have been driven to over 100,000 miles and three even more than that when another family member has taken over the vehicle.

Shante Reeder Ogden, UT

I have owned several Honda vehicles, motorcycles, and lawn mowers over the years and have always been impressed with how they are built and hold up! Honda stands by their products, and I have yet to meet someone who wasn't impress by them! Some of the best cars I have ever owned have been Honda!

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

We've owned a 2007 Honda CRV for about 10 years now and it has been the most trouble free car we have ever had. I keep up on the scheduled maintenance and that is about all we have had to do. The car has 160,000 mile on it and we expect many more out of it. The only problem we have had was the automatic locks had some issues and we paid an auto shop to replace the actuators on two doors. That was expensive but it now works fine.

Dawn cline

I think they need to have a payment plan available. I used them since I bought my accord in 2008, however, when my breaks needed to be done I had to go to firestone, now I use them exclusively. I think car dealers need to cater to all americans,not just rich ones. Because of their lack of payment plans they lost me as a customer 2 years ago, there was another issue. My windshield wiper cleaner pump failed, I told them it was not the lines which I tested, not the pump itself that caused it, that it was due to electrical in the pigtail. They put a pump on, died in three days, then they put another aftermarket one for free with no warranty, which also died because they refused to listen to me because I'm a female. Firestone listened, they fixed the pigtail and now I can wash my windows..

Jonathan

Very good experience with Honda. Even their dealerships go above and beyond. I like their legendary durability, quality, and reliability. They are also very well styled for the most part and have a very nice looking logo. They need to continue making sporty cars as well as make a 2 door coupe Accord since the new 4 door Accord has questionable styling.

Bethany Rockville, MD

There were several recalls after I made a purchase of Honda Accord. It is a good family car with no issues in the past 5 years.

Rylaan Marlowe Roy, UT

Hondas run forever and offer a great value for your hard earned money. You won’t regret going with them!

Adam Labrum ,

I have been using their cars for many years now and they have always been very reliable and long lasting.

Lukaah Marlowe American Fork, UT

We have been a long time user of Honda, and we love them. The cars don’t go out easy, the quality is fantastic, and it is great altogether.

Jeff Curtis Mapleton, UT

My 2000 Honda Prelude was my favorite car. Honda makes the best engines in the world and some of the most reliable cars overall

Van M. Orem, UT

We owned a Honda Accord. The car worked really well and never had mechanical problems. Honda is a brand you can trust to last.

Mary Johnson Flower Mound, TX

Our Honda Odyssey has been the perfect car for our family. They thought of every detail to make it comfortable and convenient!

lscho2 Salt Lake City, UT

Always good reliable cars that last long and have very few problems. Mine got up to 260 thousand miles and I have another

Amy McCarlie Orem, UT

Great experience when i bought my Honda. They were kind and easy to work with. It was my first car that I bought myself, so i was excited

Tate Wilde3 American Fork, UT

I have a Honda accord 2002 and it has been running for 18 years with no problem. There has been little to no work that I have had to do on it and it drives very smooth.

Dawson Sanders Fayetteville, AR

Nathan Justis Smithfield, UT

Such reliable cars! When I first started shopping for cars I heard Hondas were the most reliable and I think they've maintained that reputation pretty well.