Honda Motor Company is a Japanese car manufacturer founded in 1946. As one part of Japan’s Big Three automakers, Honda started as a motorcycle engine maker and has grown to be one of the largest auto manufacturers in the world.

With its Acura line, which was first released in 1986, Honda was the first Japanese manufacturer to make its own luxury offshoot brand.

The following Honda models are available in the US:

Minivans

• Odyssey

Trucks

• Ridgeline

You can shop Honda’s lineup at 1,050 dealerships nationwide.

The Good

• Dependability
  • Satisfaction
  • Efficiency
  • Safety

Dependability

Honda ranked above average on the latest JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study at #12 out of 31. Additionally, Polk Data found that 75 percent of Honda vehicles sold between 1988 and 2012 were still on the road in 2013, more than any other brand.

Satisfaction

In the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index rankings, Honda placed very well; only four companies scored ahead of it: Volvo, Porsche, Lexus, and Subaru. This is great, especially considering that most of the these are luxury brands, not mainstream.

Efficiency

Honda has one of the most fuel-efficient lineups when it comes to average mpg and has several sustainable vehicle options:

• Insight
  • Accord Hybrid
  • Clarity Plug-In Hybrid
  • Clarity Electric
  • Clarity Fuel Cell

The Insight was even named the 2019 Green Car of the Year.

Safety

HondaSensing is the company’s safety tech line and it includes:

• Collision Mitigation Braking System
  • Road Departure Mitigation System
  • Lane Keeping Assist System
  • Adaptive Cruise Control

The Bad

Takata Recall

Many Honda models from 2001 to 2015 model years were included in the Takata airbag recall. However, Honda is not the only company involved in this industry-record recall. If you drive a Honda made during this time period, check your VIN with the company’s recall database to be sure you are safe.

The Bottom Line

Honda makes affordable, dependable cars, SUVs, and pickups. Its lineup has been given a bevy of awards for safety, the lowest 5-year cost to own, and best resale value. When you buy a Honda, you can expect that it will be with you for quite some time.

View Best Car Brands

4.8

Tracy Hill
June 20th, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I have always loved Honda because their cars get great gas mileage and have everything I look for in a good car. My Honda’s in the past have had lots of space and have lasted me years

Jennifer
June 19th, 2019 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love Honda and have bought Honda cars for the past 30 years. My first car was a Honda Civic and it always made me feel safe and it was a very reliable vehicle. My parents had a Honda, my sister had a Honda, my sister-in-law had a Honda and now my son has a Honda. Love Honda cars.

Rachel
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

Best cars to last. Maybe not always the sexiest cars, but definitely you get the best bang for your buck.

Haley Baldwin
June 17th, 2019 DETAILS

My boyfriend and I drive his Honda as our second car. It is a great car! We got it for an affordable price. The inside and outside are nice and it gets great gas mileage. I would definitely buy another Honda.

Christina Balls
June 11th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

We have owned a few Hondas and have been pleased with each of them. They are a reliable automobile and would consider purchasing another one.

Courtney Eames
June 11th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I had a great experience with Honda! I bought my car brand new and I love it! Honda is very reliable, safe, and user friendly.

Mike Liddle
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Very reliable. I had a 96 Honda Accord until it died a year ago. Favorite car I’ve owned. Cars I look for in the future will be Honda’s.

Ken Francis
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

Hondas are good cheap cars. They last for a long time which i appreciate. i liked my accord quite a bit.

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

We have always enjoyed ownership and transportation in Honda cars. They are well built and reliable. Our next car purchase may likely be a Honda again.

Hannah Francis
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT

My family has driven a Honda car my entire life. First with an Accord and than with a Pilot we have been more than satisfied. The cars are safe, attractive, and well worth the money.

Dane robertson
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love my honda car!!! They build these cars with integrity. If you want a car that lasts you should get a Honda.

B Winward
June 11th, 2019 Orem, UT

Honda has a great life and drives very smooth. Easy to maintain and fix when rarely a problem comes up

Sierra Beck
June 10th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I recently bought a Honda Civic and I got a notice in the mail of a recall and I went into my closest Honda dealer and it was taken care of quick and easy. I just walked in and they were ready to help fix it. No problems with my car to speak of.

John Burnside
June 10th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

We've owned a 2007 Honda CRV for about 10 years now and it has been the most trouble free car we have ever had. I keep up on the scheduled maintenance and that is about all we have had to do. The car has 160,000 mile on it and we expect many more out of it. The only problem we have had was the automatic locks had some issues and we paid an auto shop to replace the actuators on two doors. That was expensive but it now works fine.

Nicholas
June 10th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

Great for college students, replacement parts are fairly cheap and available to buy.

Rebecca
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I will always buy Honda’s. They are reliable, last forever, and drive so nice!!!

Marissa
June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS

I"m currently driving a Honda Civic Hybrid and I LOVE it! The gas mileage is amazing and I feel like I"m driving a very reliable, efficient car that will last for years. I'm very happy with Honda!

E S
June 7th, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

Owned a 1992 Honda Accord for about 25 years. Great car. Would like to buy another Honda. Was dependable.

Kathryn (Katy) Uhl
June 6th, 2019 Provo, UT

Our Honda Civic has been a great car for our family. The leather seats are not my favorite, but it's gotten good gas mileage and hasn't needed very much maintenance. Definitely recommend for a larger family.

Kelsie Gleason
June 3rd, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have a new Honda Odyssey for my rapidly growing family. It drives great and has wonderful features. Safe and reliable!

Rylie Crandall
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I feel like Honda’s are the best quality car for their price. Every Honda that I have owned has been reliable and has been cost effective. I appreciate their gas mileage

Jaylene
June 3rd, 2019 Holcomb, NY DETAILS

My family has been loyal to Honda for years. We find that this brand of car is reliable and safe. And DEFINITELY worth every penny. When buying a car for my 16 year old daughter, Honda was a natural choice. Although it scared me that she would be out on the roads driving alone, I knew that putting her in a Honda car would keep her safe. And it proved to be true. Only two years after buying her car, she got in a life threatening car crash, and walked away without a scratch on her. Thanks, Honda.

Kimberli Shaner
June 3rd, 2019 Meridian, ID DETAILS

We had our Honda for a couple DECADES! Never got tired of it. Very reliable car. Sure miss it.

Brenda
June 3rd, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

I have a 97 Honda Accord and a 2005 Honda Odyssey , They are older models but continue to be reliable.

Amanda Hellewell
June 3rd, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Even with minimal maintenance our Honda is running so much better than our friends cars after a few years. It's been a great investment!

Sarah
May 29th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I love Honda cars. In fact I am going to trade my car in for a Honda Pilot in a few months. They are such good quality cars and awesome for new moms.

S
May 28th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

My 93 accord lasted me until just last year. My grandparents bought it and it was handed down to my parents, then me. It had a funny problem in the heat, it would run fine, but when I stopped and then tried to restart it I had to wait a good 20+minutes before it would start again.

Naomi
May 28th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

We have a Honda Civic and a Honda CR-V. We recently bought a Honda Fit for our daughter. We are firm believers in the quality Honda puts in its cars. We love our CR-V, even with 160K miles on it. Honda creates quality vehicles that last a long time.

Kennedy
May 28th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I love my Honda! It gets me around everywhere! It is small and simple just the way I like it.

Julie Kincaid
May 28th, 2019 Soldotna, AK DETAILS

We have bought four Honda vehicles over the past 12 years and have loved them all. We have had an Accord, an Odyssey, a Pilot and a CRV. I think my favorite has been our Odyssey. It has handled 6 kids over the past 11 years, and has worked like a champ. I think I have only had to fix one small mechanical part on it in that time. I would totally buy another Honda in the future.

Jacob Shaner
May 28th, 2019 DETAILS

I drove a Honda Accord for several years. To this day it’s probably still my favorite car to have driven, even though it was getting pretty old. It held up well under the high mileage. It was a great car to drive around while I was in high school.

Anne Sainsbury
May 28th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

So my 2005 Honda Civic has treated me well for the past 3 years since I bought it used. It gets great mileage, and has almost had zero upkeep. My only concern is that part of the cloth has comes off the inside doors, as well there is a leak coming in through my rear view mirror. However, both of these are more cosmetic, and overall--a great commuter vehicle!

Lori
May 17th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

We have had 4 or 5 different brands of cars and Honda is my favorite. It just feels like it drives much smoother than others and the gas mileage is really good. We haven't had to make any major repairs. I will buy another Honda when the time comes.

BLF
May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Our family has driven a Honda for generations and like the reliability and comfort of the vehicles that they make. They get good gas mileage and they last forever.

MICHELLE
May 16th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

I have owned 2 Honda civics, 1 Honda Odyssey, and 1 Honda accord. They are all great cars, reliable and dependable. Great trade in value. Customer service is usually good at our local dealership. I would recommend any new car buyer to look at Honda.

Reese
May 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have had a Honda Civic in the Past and I loved it. It gave me great gas mileage and ran like a champ always. It had enough room for a 6'10" man like me and I also like the other brands, especially the Pilot. I have driven one a few times and it is the perfect size for a family like mine.

Jeremy
May 14th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

A solid brand that always brings durability and reliability to the table, very trustable.

L. Fowler
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

When it comes to cars, this is the one that we constantly go to when looking for a new car. Honda's vehicles are built to last and are we made. Our Odyssey drives like a dream and has plenty of room for our large family.

Dean
May 14th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I have owned 3 Hondas and have always really liked them. They are reliable, comfortable, affordable and comfortable. I know that I will buy another one down the road because of the wonderful experiences I have had in the past. Gas mileage is a huge bonus!

Ashley
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have a Honda Civic that we bought mostly for running around town and long trips. The gas mileage is incredible and it has been a steady running car for us. The customer service is always friendly and helpful.

Allison Driggs
April 17th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I bought a Honda for my son. It is the best car ever. I always choose Toyota and Honda. Honda’s are reliable and amazing cars!

Katelyn Connell
April 15th, 2019 Provo, UT

My family will always pick Hondas because of their reliability. They run better and longer than other cars that we have driven.

Eliza Anne Jones
April 1st, 2019 Provo, UT

We absolutely love our Honda. It is sleek, it has great milage, and it is very smooth on the roads.

Abby Driggs
March 29th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Love our Honda Civic. Hardly ever have to take it into the shop. Good gas mileage. Love the way the seats feel and how easy it is to manage the controls up front.

A.
February 14th, 2019 Ninety Six, SC DETAILS

Car purchase of Honda Accord Hybrid. Responsive customer service and service support during scheduled maintenance.

Myah Smith
February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have had a Honda Odyssey for years and absolutely love it. Gas miles are great! It is so easy to drive and has great space as well.

Hairprofilers
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Very prompt and courteous. Explain things thoroughly.

Prashant
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

I like the reliability of my Honda- honda CRV. Its a sturdy vehicle with great reliability. I have gotten serivce at Honda dealership. The serive there is great.

Tom McLennan
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Have owned 5 Hondas. Reliable, economical, good mileage and good service.

Hung
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Very reliable and practical design, simple, easy to operate