Ford Logo

Ford

9.1

LAST UPDATED: November 15th, 2021

Ford is an American automaker founded in 1903. The company, which was founded by Henry Ford, is headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan. Ford has become the world’s largest family-owned business. Its history of innovation includes the mass production of the Ford Model T via the assembly line. This shift helped make cars more affordable and shaped the future of transportation worldwide.

With “something for everyone,” this Detroit Big 3 company offers cars, SUVs, crossovers, and trucks, including the F-Series, which is the company’s best-selling model and has been the best-selling truck in the United States for 40 years. Many commercial businesses choose Ford F-Series for their working vehicle fleets.

Additionally, 1964’s introduction of the Mustang revolutionized the sports car industry. The ‘stang is the world's best-selling sports car, with over 10 million sold.

Read our expert review outlining the pros and cons of choosing a Ford car or skip to the Ford reviews below.

The Good

• Dependability
  • Hybrid and Electric Vehicles
  • Impressive Fuel Economy
  • Competitive Warranty and Maintenance Plans
  • Luxury Vehicle Options
  • Towing Capacity

Dependability

On the most recent JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study, Ford was below average, but several of its models were included in top-three lists for their segment, including:

• Compact SUV — Ford Escape
  • Large Heavy Duty Pickup — Ford Super Duty
  • Large Light Duty Pickup — Ford F-150
  • Large SUV — Ford Expedition
  • Large Car — Ford Taurus

Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Ford has made several hybrid and electric vehicles and is the world’s second-largest maker of hybrid cars. The company isn’t stopping there. It wants to make a $4.5 billion investment in electric vehicles by 2020 and has plans for a crossover with a 300-mile charge by the same year.

Current sustainable offerings include the following:

• C-Max Hybrid
  • Fusion Hybrid
  • Fusion Energi (plug-in hybrid)
  • Focus Electric

Impressive Fuel Economy

With a combined 42 mpg, the Ford Fusion Hybrid ranks in the top 10 cars with the best fuel economy by U.S. News and Reports. The Ford Fusion Hybrid is also known for its safety and reliability ratings. Other fuel-efficient vehicles include the Ford Fiesta and the Ford Focus.

Ford uses advanced fuel economy technology to help consumers save money on gas. Ford Motor Company engineered the EcoBoost engine that maintains high power performance without sacrificing torque response rates. Hybrid and electric Ford vehicles also maintain high fuel efficiency.

Competitive Warranty and Maintenance Plans

Every new Ford car comes with a New Vehicle Limited Warranty that covers specific repairs and vehicle malfunctions for three years or up to 36,000 miles. Ford also offers special plans to make owning your vehicle more affordable. When you purchase an extended warranty or maintenance plan, you don’t have to worry about unexpected repair or routine maintenance costs. You can drive confidently knowing that your vehicle is up-to-date and travel-ready.

Ford Extended Warranty

Ford offers extended warranty options through its Ford Protect Program. Options include the PremiumCARE, ExtraCARE, and BaseCARE, and PowertrainCARE. The PremiumCARE plan covers repairs for eight years or 150,000 miles and over 1000 components. This is the only plan that covers the powertrain control and tracks air/fuel mix to maintain fuel economy. Ford’s PremiumCARE plan is one of the best extended warranty options available.

Other Ford warranty plans cover specific components including the engine, transmission, and basic car systems. You can learn which plan is right for you by going onto the Ford Protect website and requesting a quote. Plans can be purchased anytime during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty period.

Premium Maintenance Plan

Ford offers a premium maintenance plan for new Ford drivers currently covered under the limited warranty. With the maintenance plan, take your car to any Lincoln or Ford dealer for servicing. The premium maintenance plan includes:

• Oil changes, tire rotations, multi-point inspections, and factory-required maintenance
  • Replacement of common “wear and tear” items
  • 100% transferable coverage
  • $0 deductible for covered services

Since the maintenance plan is transferable, you don’t lose your investment when you sell a Ford car. A maintenance plan allows you to increase the offer price because of the additional coverage.

Luxury Vehicle Options

Ford offers luxury sedans, SUVs, Trucks, and sports cars. The Ford Mustang is the most popular sports car in the world featuring leather upholstery, nine-speaker sound system, driver’s seat memory setting, and heated seats. But, you don’t need to buy a sports car to get luxury vehicle add-ons.

Other models such as the Ford Expedition and the Ford Explorer offer heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, and other luxury options. Many consider the Ford F-450 Super Duty to be one of the most luxurious trucks on the road.  Ford helps drivers find the right balance between comfort and affordability by providing different trim and model options.

Ford also owns the luxury car brand Lincoln. Lincoln lineup includes crossovers, SUVs, and sedans.

Towing Capacity

Ford has an impressive truck lineup with some of the highest towing capacities in the car industry. Ford’s F-series has been the best-selling pickup truck lineup for the last 43 years. The series includes the Ford F-150, F-250, F-350, and F-450. The Ford F-450 Super Duty can tow up to 24,000 lbs. This is one of the best towing capacities on the market.

The Bad

• Satisfaction
  • Takata Recall

Satisfaction

Ford ranks among the lowest in the industry in terms customer satisfaction. On the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index Automobile Report, Ford was in the bottom three auto brands, tied for next-to-last place.

Takata Recall

Ford vehicles have been included in the Takata airbag recall, including 2005 to 2014 Ford Mustangs, 2004 to 2006 Ford Rangers, and 2005 to 2006 Ford GTs. As one of the biggest auto recalls ever, Ford isn’t the only car brand affected. If your car is among those listed, contact Ford customer service or visit the company's website for more information.

The Bottom Line

As one of America’s longest-standing auto manufacturers with an incredible history of innovation, Ford’s current standing with consumers is a bit of a conundrum. The company has good dependability ratings but still struggles with customer satisfaction. It may still be affected by the company's involvement in the 2008 financial crisis bailout, but Ford's innovative sustainable options and upcoming models, including a plug-in crossover with a 300-mile charge, may boost its image with American consumers.

Read through our Ford reviews below to learn about real customer experiences with the brand. If you are ready to take the next steps towards owning a Ford, visit a local Ford dealership to test drive and discuss pricing options.

View Best Car Brands

Lisa Williams Jacksonville, FL

I’ve had my car for a good 3 years and the previous owner used the car as a high way car and left a lot of mileage. I thought the car would have been broken down on me but it’s still here and is still able to take me where I need to go.

Jasmine

I've always been with ford and this car is great no matter the style. I would definitely recommend this to someone who is trying to buy a car. The prices os something that always catch my eyes when seeing about a payment.

Kaylee Gay Columbia, MO

I love that Ford installed their new mechanism of autostart to protect the environment more! Whenever you come to a stop like at a stoplight, the engine turns off to prevent pollution. As well as Fords are reliable vehicles and my family has been using them for years!

Gabe Burton Riverton, UT

I've been driving my 2010 Ford Fusion for 5 years it has over 500k miles on it. I have never had an issue with my car. I love it, it's a cute blue and just the right size for me. Repairs are usually not too expensive and it rarely needs them anyways. I commute to work every day, it's about 30 minutes, and my gas mileage is still on par with other cars. I buy gas about every 2 weeks.

Lindsay Goodwin

I've had some recalls with Ford in the past but they always make it right. I got a settlement that was large enough to pay off half of a new vehicle immediately. The only reason they didn't get the full stars is because of some glitchy technical issues with the navigation and touch screen. Other then that I will continue to buy Ford because they always fix their mistakes and take accountability as well as make it right. I have a 2015 vehicle so maybe some of these glitches have been fixed. I also just purchased a new navigation SD card so that may fix the problems as well. Very minimal complaints, my vehicle runs like a champ especially for long trips.

The Bean Spiller Provo, UT

We have a Ford Focus and it's fairly reliable. Definitely feels more complicated than some other cars I've used when it comes to repairs. Their trucks are much better than their cars, so if you're looking for a reliable truck, the F-150 is a great option

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

It could be because the car is from 2004, but the Ford I would drive had a lot of issues with the motor. It would get fixed, and soon enough another issue would show up.

Alicia Turner Denver, CO

Ford is a great brand. They contact you when anything has happened like a recall and will do what they can to get it fixed ASAP. They have a good quality vehicles that don’t break the bank to get fixed!

TTeep Smithfield, UT

We own a Ford Explorer now. Overall it's been decent, and in the past we have liked Ford, but it seems like things are going a little more downhill than they were in the past. I hope they swing back to good ole USA company some day.

Madisen Cluff Los Angeles, CA

During my last two years of highschool I drove a ford truck. I operated great even though I bought it second had from someone who had owned it for 5 years. It was a great vehicle and came in handy when I needed a car to go camping. It handled off roading and going over rough terrain very well!

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

I’ve had my Ford F-150 for 5 years now and still love it just as much as when I first got it. It’s withheld the daily wear and tear and still looks great. I’ve had no issues with the function of the truck and haven’t needed any repairs

Hannah Barth Tallahassee, FL

I drive a 2011 Ford Fusion. I have had little issues and it has been a great first car.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I have owned a ford truck for years now and have been pleased by the quality of this vehicle. I like the look and am overall happy with how well it has continued to run throughout the years. I have had many compliments on how “pretty” and “powerful” my truck looks. I feel safe in it and am thankful to have a reliable vehicle. The company has quality service anytime I have needed a part or have taken in for a few minor maintenance needs. It has always been a quick fix. The company truly cares about customer service.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

We currently own a Ford cargo van and have been very impressed with how it’s held up. I know some people have a lot of problems with vehicles but it seems like a lot of manufacturers reliability is just model specific. It pays to do your research as even the best brands can have a few years of lower quality or come out with models that aren’t as great.

Morgan Idaho Falls, ID

We have a 2013 Ford Focus and it’s a good car. It gets good gas mileage and is fun to ride in. The trunk has good storage as well which is nice on a smaller sedan.

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

Our family car is ford expedition and it has been 20 years since we purchased it. This is the most long-lasting car I have seen considering the mileage it has endured over time. Great car for longevity!

Zac Cannon Long Beach, MS

I drove a 1995 Ford Ranger from 2003-2007. We loved the truck so much we kept it within the family for many years. The only draw back of the truck was the fact that it only got about 12 MPG on the Highway. The engine worked like new from the time my grandmother got the truck in 1996 until the time we donated it to a family company in the mid 2010s.

Vicki Almeter

We have had nothing but good results in deapling with Ford, from the sales people to the service department. They all know their product and can answer any question you may have. Always friendly and courteous, we have absolutely no complaints. We love our Ford Edge

Ruth Stark

Awesome!! Never had any oroblem with them. I have had to ford suv's- both have been awesome! Had the 1999ford exployer sport fir about 15 years abd had clise to 300000 miles on it. Now i have a 2012 edge- have had it now over 7 tears with about 180000 miles on it - still going strong!!

Carol Sauers

I have been a Ford customer for 12 years now. I have owned 4 trucks and have been pleased with each purchase. The Ford dealership here in GA knows me well. They take time to help me with each purchase, question, issue I have and service calls. I would buy from them again if I needed to.

Patricia M Waddell

I am impressed with the quality of my 2014 Escape, I recently had to use a rental car (Toyota) and it made me really appreciate my Ford. I also have my car financed through Ford and the process was easy unlike previous experiences with financing.

Jim ODay

McRee Ford in Dickinson,TX has excellent sales and service. Free loaner if you purchased your vehicle there and need service. The only bad thing is their quick lane has been so busy and the wait has been way too long for me to keep getting my oil changed there.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We like ford. The cars they make now are so great and solid. Much better than when we first had one in the 70's. They are good at truly modernizing. We have a ford flex for getting around quickly and we love the quality of it.

Alexa Cooper Provo, UT

My whole family is die hard Ford supportive. The engines last forever if you take care of them and most of their cars are just great! I drive a diesel Ford excursion now from 2000 and it still has a LOT of life left in it. It has over 370K miles on it and it’s just like my mobile home. I can drive that car like an extension of my arm, I’m grateful for all the family roads trip memories we have in that thing.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

My father owned Ford cars while I was growing up and I owned a Ford Maverick. Overall I think that Ford is a great company and builds good cars. My father would routinely put over 100,000 miles on his car before he would get a new car. I really liked the look of the Ford Mustang that my father owned. I liked the look of my Ford Maverick as well. Both of these cars really handled well on the highway with a lot of power under the hood. I think they are also reliable cars with good gas mileage.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

These cars are awful. Every Ford I've owned hasn't lasted me for more than 130,000 miles. I kept up on maintenance and did everything that was recommended to me at the dealerships, but they never last.

Amanie Crosbie ,

We currently own 2 Ford vehicles, a 2012 Ford 250 Heavy Duty truck and a 2018 Ford Explorer Sport. We did trade in a 2016 Ford Explorer Limited for the current Explorer we had because we loved it so much. I have the app on my phone which is so user friendly and convenient to use. It keeps me updated on service alerts, oil life as well as parking information and quick start options. I am already looking to upgrade to an Expedition for my next vehicle.

Amy Barrus Sandy, UT

We have had many Fords over the years. We currently drive a Ford Expedition max and a Ford F-150 XLT. They both have a comfortable and smooth ride and both are very reliable. We have not had problems with them so far. The back-up camera on the expedition occasionally had a glitch for a short amount of time, however we have a great extended protection plan that Ford offers. We will be able to get that checked and so far have had any smaller problems checked out and quickly fixed.

Dave_ Layton, UT

My father has owned a Ford F-150 he purchased in 1986 till now. I have used this vehicle many times and am impressed with the durability and versatility of the vehicle. I used it to tow a trencher without any issues. Our family has used the vehicle on multiple trips to multiple states Including towing our boat and has been very reliable. I will be purchasing a Ford when I get a new truck.

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

I currently drive a Ford Explorer and am loving it. I get a new car every few years and before I purchased this vehicle, I was going back and forth between the Explorer, Highlander and Pilot. I am beyond glad I went with Ford. It's safe, luxurious, reliable, and my local Ford dealer always provides the best service and maintenance. Would purchase again in a heartbeat.

Cathy Sewall Potts Camp, MS

I was raised on Chevy but as soon as I had kids, I got the Ford Expedition and fell in love! That truck changed my entire life’s way of thinking! It could carry a ton of kids comfortably, it could pull any of our boats or cars with ease! It was great on gas! I only ever had one complaint and that’s if gas was low, you couldn’t park on a hill or it wouldn’t start, lol, because it couldn’t reach the gas at other end of tank! Anyway since then I have own a few fords, and they ALL were great vehicles! Definitely will buy more before my time is done here!

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have bought a few different cars from Ford including a Ford Focus and two Expeditions. The Focus was for a daughter going to school and it got great gas mileage and she was able to make the long trips to school without worrying about her car. The Expeditions were great, because of their room, dependability, four wheel drive, and it looked great.

Simone Harris

Great variety of cars to choose from. Newer models include nice technical features such as the display screen and audio capabilities.

TeaSpillin Salt Lake City, UT

I had a Ford for about 6 years and it never broke down versus the car I have now that needs repairs almost every year. Quality.

hminfo Olney, MD

I can't say enough good things about our Ford F-150 truck. I am so happy we purchased it. It has been extremely reliable, even into mileage in the 200,000 level.

Diane

50,000 mile maintenance. They showed me what needed replacement and why it needed to be replaced. They gave me a ride home and several hours later when it was finished they came and got me.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

My husband and I bought a Ford F350 last year. We have been happy with it. I love that it is reliable and we can pull our camper, boat, trailers for moving, etc. Our family of 6 can fit in it comfortably. We love our truck.

Chris F Harriman, TN

Ford makes durable work trucks. I know everyone and manufactures are all about electronics, but it would be my preference to have more of the "under-the-hood" be less electronic and more tough parts like they were originally. Sure, have powere window and seats but not everyhing else having sensoes.

Joyce Hands

I love all my Ford cars, trucks, and minivans I have owned throughout the years. I just love the quality of the car and the ease in handling the cars. Their customer service is great.

Fred Reynolds

Their cars have improved a lot as have all brands. We still rembewr made in Am erica but we know about globilization. Mostly we have been buying Fords because the other American owned car brands are poorly made. Over the years we have had a lot of Ford cars and we drove them untill we could not fix them anymore after 150,000 miles or more. .

Craig Knowles

Owned four Expeditions, all operated in harsh conditions at high altitude in the Rockies. Five miles of bad road between home and highway. One transmission replacement under basic warranty.

Retired

The vehicles are very reliable, I have never had a major breakdown with Ford. Normal wear n tear maintenance starts at about 100 thousand miles. Don't expect to get that if you don't maintain your vehicle.

Dan Mackintosh

I really like the variety, the engineering and dependability of Ford. I have owned several Fords through the years and presently drive a Ford Explorer that is as dependable and sturdy as they come.

Meg TX

I love my Ford Expedition, rides great and prices great.

Omara Obas Tallahassee, FL

Ford is the only car brand I use and I like it a lot. the car company is very helpful but also very expensive. Overall, the ford brand has allowed me to drive to places safely.

Alexa Williamson Orem, UT

Ford is a great car company they creat reliable vehicles that can last! My family has owned 2008 Ford Focus since it was brand new. It has nearly 300,000 miles on it and it is still going strong .

Chelsea Snow Eagle Mountain, UT

I have had several Ford vehicles over the years. I currently drive a Ford Edge. what I like most about Ford is their reliability and comfort. they have great AC and heating as well.

Steve Ashby , AZ

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer right now and I'm 3 out of 5 stars happy with it...it's just OK. It is comfortable and has been reliable, but we've had several recalls and the roof rack is a perpetual problem, not just on my car but on all Explorers. I have several friends with them and we all have the same problem with the Chrome and Ford won't do anything about it. Obviously a flaw and should be fixed. I'll try Ford again but I'll be picky.

Mat A Rancho Cordova, CA

Ford is the leading truck in the construction world today. I own an F350 Ford Platinum and I wouldn’t buy anything else. I pull my boat, trailer, and many heavy things and I never have to worry about not having enough power. My next truck will be a Ford...built tough! Yes

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

My husband and I bought our Ford F150 to tow our boat and we absolutely love it! The storage cab in the back has come in handy on more than one occasion and we have also had great service anytime we've had an oil change at our dealership. I highly recommend any truck from Ford!