Ford is an American automaker founded in 1903. The company, which was founded by Henry Ford, is headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan. Its history of innovation includes the mass production of the Ford Model T via the assembly line. This shift helped make cars more affordable and shaped the future of transportation worldwide.

With “something for everyone,” this Detroit Big 3 company offers cars, SUVs, crossovers, and trucks, including the F-Series, which is the company’s best-selling model and has been the best-selling truck in the United States for 40 years.

Additionally, 1964’s introduction of the Mustang revolutionized the sports car industry. The ‘stang is the world's best-selling sports car, with over 10 million sold.

The Good

• Dependability
  • Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Dependability

On the most recent JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study, Ford was below average, but several of its models were included in top-three lists for their segment, including:

• Compact SUV: Ford Escape
  • Large Heavy Duty Pickup: Ford Super Duty
  • Large Light Duty Pickup: Ford F-150
  • Large SUV: Ford Expedition
  • Large Car: Ford Taurus

Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Ford has made several hybrid and electric vehicles and is the world’s second-largest maker of hybrid cars. The company isn’t stopping there. It wants to make a $4.5 billion investment in electric vehicles by 2020 and has plans for a crossover with a 300-mile charge by the same year.

Current sustainable offerings include the following:

• C-Max Hybrid
  • Fusion Hybrid
  • Fusion Energi (plug-in hybrid)
  • Focus Electric

The Bad

• Satisfaction
  • Takata Recall

Satisfaction

Ford ranks among the lowest in the industry in terms customer satisfaction. On the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index Automobile Report, Ford was in the bottom three auto brands, tied for next-to-last place.

Takata Recall

Ford vehicles have been included in the Takata airbag recall, including 2005 to 2014 Ford Mustangs, 2004 to 2006 Ford Rangers, and 2005 to 2006 Ford GTs. As one of the biggest auto recalls ever, Ford isn’t the only car brand affected. If your car is among those listed, contact Ford customer service or visit the company's website for more information.

The Bottom Line

As one of America’s longest-standing auto manufacturers with an incredible history of innovation, Ford’s current standing with consumers is a bit of a conundrum. The company has good dependability ratings but still struggles with customer satisfaction. It may still be affected by the company's involvement in the 2008 financial crisis bailout, but Ford's innovative sustainable options and upcoming models, including a plug-in crossover with a 300-mile charge, may boost its image with American consumers.

View Best Car Brands

Paige Baldwin
July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

My family has been driving Ford brand cars for years and we love them! They are very reliable and they age well. Their customer service is awesome and they’re always willing to get to the bottom of every problem.

Brooklyn May
July 11th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I drive a Ford Crownvic and it works perfectly. It use to be an old police car. It gets great gas mileage, and is very comfortable to drive it. Never had any major problems with it.

C B
July 10th, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

I've had several Ford vehicles over the years and they've all been excellent. Several F-150's, very smooth rides.

Keeli Hansen
July 10th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

I drive an F150 and I love it it’s such a reliable truck and I can always count on it without a doubt

Whitney Stanko
July 1st, 2019 Smithfield, UT

My fiancé drives a Ford truck. It’s a 1978 and it still runs great. Trustworthy vehicle and company. Love Ford trucks!

Rosann Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I loved our Ford Galaxy. It was classy looking and well built. We drove it on vacations and it was very comfortable.

Braden Stanko
June 27th, 2019 Smithfield, UT

Love ford trucks. Very reliable and last a long time. One of the only trucks I would ever buy. Their ford cars are also reliable. Comfortable to drive in.

Ben Crisp
June 24th, 2019 Temecula, CA DETAILS

I currently drive a Ford that’s been passed down my family for almost 15 years. It’s gotten us almost 250,000 miles with not many problems. And it’s still going strong. Ford is one of the best brands out there for dependability efficiency.

Sierra Beck
June 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

My family car is a Ford Expedition and out experience with Ford has been great. We bought from a dealer and got a warranty and if had been great. An expensive fix of an window turned out to cost very little utilizing the warranty.

Lisa
June 18th, 2019 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

Love my new expedition. Not only is it a beautiful car, but is durable, comfortable and reliable. Great job Ford!

matthew
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

i own a 1988 f150 and its been such a great truck for me it hasn't let me down yet it always starts. but you do have to keep good care of them just like any other truck.

Haley Baldwin
June 13th, 2019 DETAILS

I absolutely love Ford. I’ve had my car for three years now. Every time I’ve had an issue with it, Fords customer service has been great assisting me with it. The price was affordable for me, as a student, which I appreciate. The warranty on my car is also nice and helps me feel better if anything were to go wrong.

Christina Balls
June 11th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

We have a owned a couple Ford vehicles and have been somewhat pleased. We usually end up putting a lot of money into the vehicles after about 10 years.

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

My husband and I had a Ford F150 for about 15 years. It was a wonderful truck and it lasted forever. We were able to use it for so many different things and it was so convenient. One thing I loved about this vehicle is that it did not have too many problems. Over the first 10 years it ran really well. I will say that with time it started having issues and it was expensive to fix. I would say that Ford is a good brand and that the cars are good but that you should not plan to use them for more than 10 years. The amount you pay in repairs can eventually add up to the downpayment of a new car.

John Burnside
June 10th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

Purchased a F250 Superduty diesel new some years ago and was not overly impressed. The engine was great the truck had several little issues that I had to pay to get fixed. Quality seemed to be lacking as was attention to detail. Wold it at 100K miles and went with a Dodge. Ford just can't seem to keep on top of their quality control.

Isaac
June 10th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I am big into my trucks and I only buy my ford trucks. They are nice and and run well and we’ve never had big problems. With them. In fact my son still uses the one I drove in high school. It may be old, but it still runs.

Nicholas
June 10th, 2019 Lake Villa, IL

I like their little trucks, they get decent gas mileage, overall pretty solid truck when consistent Maintenence is done.

Holly Schafer
June 10th, 2019 Forest Grove, OR

Ford has great customer service from the day you walk into the store to the day your car dies. They take care of you and help you find good mechanics or their mechanics to fix your car. I have never felt pressured by anyone to buy something I didn’t want or fix something I didn’t have to have fixed.

Brenda
June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT DETAILS

I drive a 2003 Ford explore. I love the 4 x 4. But overall we have also owned four different makes and They have all been reliable and very comfortable seating.

Marissa
June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN

I've driven several Ford cars and they have all been smooth rides. I feel like they are a good quality car for the price. I particularly like the 2013 Ford Fusion (It's the one I've driven most)--the seats really hug you and are comfortable.

DJ
June 7th, 2019 Forest Grove, OR DETAILS

Reliable vehicles and easy maintenance have been the hallmark of my Ford experience. The Escape has been the model with which I am most familiar, and it has performed extremely well over the last several years of heavy use and travel.

Beth Farmer
June 6th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have a Ford Focus that is stick shift. The car has lasted over 160,000 miles and is still going strong. The car is bullet proof. Great quality. No big repairs needed. We are satisfied customers!

Grant Lofgreen
June 4th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Bought a Focus ST. Love pretty much everything about it except the SYNC system. Bluetooth integration is not straightforward and controls are not overly intuitive. Car has run like a dream and has been a pleasure to own. No mechanical issues.

Tracy Hill
June 3rd, 2019 Draper, UT DETAILS

I am personally not the biggest fan of Ford. Every ford car we have owned seemed to require a lot more work than other cars. It really added up to keep having to get work done on our cars

Dale L Farmer
May 30th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I have owned both cars and trucks that have been reliable and for the most part well built. They have been durable and lasted a good while for me.

Anne Sainsbury
May 28th, 2019 Payson, UT

So I have to be honest here, I grew up not liking Ford, but for no good reason. It wasn't until 3 weeks ago when my fiance and I borrowed a Ford truck for a day (for moving purposes) that my mind changed! I loved being so high up on the road, and I loved how safe I felt. Definitely a great car for service purposes, and very reliable.

Nana Asiata
May 20th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Ford has great quality cars and can last and amazing amount of time if well taken of.

rcurtis
May 20th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

my family uses a ford expedition, and its awesome. There's eight of us in my family and we all fit nicely, especially with all the leg space we have. Nothing so far has broken and we've had it for a couple years. Its super nice and a great price!

Reese
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have owned many Fords over the years. I like that they change with the times and that they are always trying to engineer them better. The one I have now is a Ford Focus and it gets great gas mileage, it looks great and runs well. I have not had any problems with the car.

L. Fowler
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We currently own a Ford truck and really like it for it's reliability and durablity. We use it to haul anything that we need and it never let's us down. It is strong and pulls all of our toys and trailers.

Kelcee Young
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love the amazing cars that Ford sells and the high quality cars they have!! They give great service and are always having the best deals going on!! I love the Ford truck my family has and I love how it has been a great truck and had very few problems ever since we bought it!!!

Ashley
May 14th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My husband owns a Ford Truck that he absolutely loves. He has depended on Ford trucks since he was a small boy growing up in Idaho. I like seeing the Ford name because I know that it was built here in the United States. It just seems American! It is one tough truck and Ford is really built strong!

Cole
April 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT

Ford has high quality cars. Although it isn’t super luxurious it performs well. It’s reliable and economic. This sure is a trustworthy car brand and nobody can go wrong getting a Ford.

R. Jefferson George
February 14th, 2019 DETAILS

Excellent customer service, cleanliness, accessibility, personal attention and business services.

Chris
February 14th, 2019 Harriman, TN DETAILS

Ford makes durable work trucks. I know everyone and manufactures are all about electronics, but it would be my preference to have more of the "under-the-hood" be less electronic and more tough parts like they were originally. Sure, have powere window and seats but not everyhing else having sensoes.

Julia Carey
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

I don't like the trunk, the dashboard, and the windows. I bump my head on the windows, bump my knee on the dashboard, and can't lift anything heavy out of the trunk. This is supposed to be a hatchback.

Paul
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Excellent from the time I started negotiations till the delivery of my Ford Titanium

Myrtle Roberts
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

excellent service and friendly customer service and they go out of there way to help you

Julie April
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Excellent! I would recommend elemenating the game played between the sales person and the sales manager.

Ron Scholz
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

I was sent a notification that the truck might develop a problem in cold weather. They will only fix it if it devlops that problem. Why not fix the problem before it becomes a problem?

Liz J Cooper
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Like their product, I like everything, improve their dealerships

Carolyn Wysong
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

I love my C-Max. But their sales methods are too aggressive for my taste and their Encinitas unit needs to improve the customer service in their service departmeyt

Mary
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

It's been good. Oil change service at dealer is too long of a wait time even with an appointment.

Vicki Almeter
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

We have had nothing but good results in deapling with Ford, from the sales people to the service department. They all know their product and can answer any question you may have. Always friendly and courteous, we have absolutely no complaints. We love our Ford Edge

Dana
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Fantastic customer service. Very accommodating to my time frames.

Rennie
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

always great service been driving fords for over 58 years and only had trouble wiyh the first one .Have ford excape 2006 no trouble yet. the last 2 cars 12 years each.

February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Salesman was iffy, finance man terrible, would never buy there again or refer anyone to them

j. D. Villarreal
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

They have competent employees at sales, service and management

Ruth Stark
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

Awesome!! Never had any oroblem with them. I have had to ford suv's- both have been awesome! Had the 1999ford exployer sport fir about 15 years abd had clise to 300000 miles on it. Now i have a 2012 edge- have had it now over 7 tears with about 180000 miles on it - still going strong!!

MichaelDamico
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

The Ford Edge we own has been a wonderful vehicle. Ford has put quality products on the road for years thanks to their UAW workforce.