Ford is an American automaker founded in 1903. The company, which was founded by Henry Ford, is headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan. Its history of innovation includes the mass production of the Ford Model T via the assembly line. This shift helped make cars more affordable and shaped the future of transportation worldwide.

With “something for everyone,” this Detroit Big 3 company offers cars, SUVs, crossovers, and trucks, including the F-Series, which is the company’s best-selling model and has been the best-selling truck in the United States for 40 years.

Additionally, 1964’s introduction of the Mustang revolutionized the sports car industry. The ‘stang is the world's best-selling sports car, with over 10 million sold.

The Good

• Dependability
  • Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Dependability

On the most recent JD Power Vehicle Dependability Study, Ford was below average, but several of its models were included in top-three lists for their segment, including:

• Compact SUV: Ford Escape
  • Large Heavy Duty Pickup: Ford Super Duty
  • Large Light Duty Pickup: Ford F-150
  • Large SUV: Ford Expedition
  • Large Car: Ford Taurus

Hybrid and Electric Vehicles

Ford has made several hybrid and electric vehicles and is the world’s second-largest maker of hybrid cars. The company isn’t stopping there. It wants to make a $4.5 billion investment in electric vehicles by 2020 and has plans for a crossover with a 300-mile charge by the same year.

Current sustainable offerings include the following:

• C-Max Hybrid
  • Fusion Hybrid
  • Fusion Energi (plug-in hybrid)
  • Focus Electric

The Bad

• Satisfaction
  • Takata Recall

Satisfaction

Ford ranks among the lowest in the industry in terms customer satisfaction. On the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index Automobile Report, Ford was in the bottom three auto brands, tied for next-to-last place.

Takata Recall

Ford vehicles have been included in the Takata airbag recall, including 2005 to 2014 Ford Mustangs, 2004 to 2006 Ford Rangers, and 2005 to 2006 Ford GTs. As one of the biggest auto recalls ever, Ford isn’t the only car brand affected. If your car is among those listed, contact Ford customer service or visit the company's website for more information.

The Bottom Line

As one of America’s longest-standing auto manufacturers with an incredible history of innovation, Ford’s current standing with consumers is a bit of a conundrum. The company has good dependability ratings but still struggles with customer satisfaction. It may still be affected by the company's involvement in the 2008 financial crisis bailout, but Ford's innovative sustainable options and upcoming models, including a plug-in crossover with a 300-mile charge, may boost its image with American consumers.

View Best Car Brands

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Stephanie Stanley

September 25th, 2020 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great product line! My family owns 4 Fords all meeting different needs and all reliable

Lkirton

September 15th, 2020 Park City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am very happy with my Ford Expedition. I feel very safe driving my family around in it. Very smooth ride.

Dave_

September 14th, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My father has owned a Ford F-150 he purchased in 1986 till now. I have used this vehicle many times and am impressed with the durability and versatility of the vehicle. I used it to tow a trencher without any issues. Our family has used the vehicle on multiple trips to multiple states Including towing our boat and has been very reliable. I will be purchasing a Ford when I get a new truck.

Cassandra Collett

September 13th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love riding around in a Ford truck. Their seats are comfortable and nice. I love it.

Dayna

September 12th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ford trucks are really nice and quality, I wish I could say the same for their cars but they aren’t as amazing.

Tagg

September 10th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ford is the pioneer of the car. I have owned a few in my life. Their trucks are amazing, their cars are lacking style and performance.

Yolanda Briganti

September 5th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a Ford Taurus for 1 year. The transmission went out at 160,000 miles. It had the most problems of any car I've ever owned. I've owned 13 cars and not sure I would buy a Ford again.

Tiauna Anderson

September 5th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband and I bought our Ford F150 to tow our boat and we absolutely love it! The storage cab in the back has come in handy on more than one occasion and we have also had great service anytime we've had an oil change at our dealership. I highly recommend any truck from Ford!

Kevin Liu

September 4th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I drove a new ford ranger and I love the comfort of the ride and being very spacious interior for being a larger guy. The ranger has a lot of cool upgrades and lots of technology features built in.

Dre35

September 3rd, 2020 West Valley City, UT

We enjoyed working with Ford when we purchased our last vehicle. The only complaint I have is that when we bought our vehicle, they covered our oil changes for a year, and I wish we could have got the coverage for premium oil, instead of the basic oil.

AF

September 3rd, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our F-150 King Ranch. All the bells and whistles, some that you can get on other types of trucks.... seats that are heated, cooled and even massage!

Linda

September 3rd, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

With Ford I preferred their truck more than their other vehicle. I’ve had friends who’s been with Ford over 15 years and they never missed a beat.

Shawn Cortes

September 2nd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought a 2020 Ford Explorer ST and with my purchase I was invited to an all paid trip to Park City to learn more about the cool Features of my SUV. Pretty sick!

Salma

August 17th, 2020 ,

my lil ford saved me so much money and got me out of so many bad situations! thx to the company!!

Steve Botos

July 13th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a Ford F-150. Delivers great power. I have an Ecoboost model. Only downside is when it was new mileage was better even though it has been tuned up mileage didn't improve. Went from 21 mpg highway to 16 over time.

Diane

July 13th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

50,000 mile maintenance. They showed me what needed replacement and why it needed to be replaced. They gave me a ride home and several hours later when it was finished they came and got me.

Lindsay Goodwin

July 8th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had some recalls with Ford in the past but they always make it right. I got a settlement that was large enough to pay off half of a new vehicle immediately. The only reason they didn't get the full stars is because of some glitchy technical issues with the navigation and touch screen. Other then that I will continue to buy Ford because they always fix their mistakes and take accountability as well as make it right. I have a 2015 vehicle so maybe some of these glitches have been fixed. I also just purchased a new navigation SD card so that may fix the problems as well. Very minimal complaints, my vehicle runs like a champ especially for long trips.

Kate sabo

April 22nd, 2020 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have a 2016 Ford C-Max Energi and I love it! It gets great gas mileage and charges quickly when I need it to. I wish the battery held more charge than it does, but overall it's a stellar car!

Brandon

April 22nd, 2020 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had bad experiences with Ford and cannot recommend them. The car we bought was cheaply built and was not designed to last more than 40,000 miles. I would highly suggest looking at other car manufacturer's because Ford is not worth putting your money into.

Steve Jones

March 20th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love driving a Ford. I bought my Ford Edge back in 2012 and loved it so much that I kept it as a commuter car when I purchased my F150 in 2018. The Edge still runs great and I obviously love my truck!

Mia miga7440

March 13th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I drive a ford vehicle and its great! its a very reliable vehicle that I would highly recommend to others.

Brysen223

March 9th, 2020 Garland, UT

Ford makes pretty good vehicles overall, a dive mostly driven their trucks and stuff. I believe Ford is the best truck maker for power, but reliability, they’re a little bit shaky on. We once owned a truck that started shaking violently one day on the freeway, which isn’t something a truck is supposed to do, but it had a lot of power and could pull almost anything

Brayden Ibert

March 8th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I owned a Ford F150 loved my truck. The comfort great and service was even better. The dealerships were always helpful whether I was there for and upgrade or a tuneup or whatever the case maybe.

Logan Hudson

March 7th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I owned a Ford Focus for a fee years before I switched to Honda. And the car always seemed to be breaking down. The customer service never helped all that much and it was very expensive to replace parts.

Luis Diaz

March 7th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ford trucks are honestly not good. Ugly, not as tough as they claim, and all together not a good ride. My old ford truck was my least favorite vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Daisy Ramos

March 5th, 2020 , FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely love my Ford Focus. I was unfortunately in a car accident, and my car was barely dented at all. It is extremely durable, and I would recommend a ford to anyone.

Karen Torino

March 5th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ford makes cars that can last but will eventually require quite the work. A ford explorer from 2004 kept breaking down and cost me thousands to repair. But even then, it lasted a while.

Tyler Jenkins

March 5th, 2020 Hattiesburg, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love Ford. Every car I’ve had since high school has been a Ford. My first car Was a 1995 Mustang GT and it still runs perfectly fine today. Now I’m really satisfied with my current car which is a 2016 Ford Fusion. I’ve had no problems with Ford.

J Connelly

March 5th, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had 2 ford trucks and 1 dodge truck. The ford trucks way out lived the Dodge truck.

russbayles

March 4th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Loved my F-150. Never had issues and I think the look of the new fords is better than any truck. That’s the first thing people see so I feel it’s important. Their performance speaks for itself.

Cyndee Seare

March 4th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love my beautiful Ford Explorer. I bought it used and I have had a few problems with it. As a whole though, it has been a great car

Jackson Barousse

March 4th, 2020 Thibodaux, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My first car was a Ford Focus and it gave out on me constantly. Customer service isn't the friendliest and repairs are expensive.

Hollie Whatcott

March 4th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We love our Ford truck! It’s been such a great car and we haven’t ever had any problems with it! They take good care of their customers!

Kimsreview

March 3rd, 2020 Atlanta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have a Ford Explorer we are very happy with it. It drives well and is very comfortable.

Rocio Diaz

March 3rd, 2020 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazing prices, amazing cars, amazing features! Ford cannot be best my other brands. Their cars are always over the top with even massage chairs.

Linda Hays

March 3rd, 2020 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The Ford Fusion I owned had continuous recalls. It handles well. I didn’t always get great customer service. It depended on the dealer I went to.

Randi Nelson

March 1st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ford makes cars that last for such a long time. Their trucks have lasted through all types of terrain and different drivers

Maryann Renteria (Mckrae)

February 29th, 2020 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved my Ford Excursion! One of my most favorite big SUVS and was as smooth as smooth can be as far as the ride! Beautiful leather interior and sleek black outside!

Brianna bourgeois

February 28th, 2020 Norcross, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The people at the dealer ships have always been very informative . The vehicles I have owned have always gone above and beyond the standards I expected

take7

February 28th, 2020 Sandy, UT

Had the explorer. It was used. It was a nice car but it was hard to repair when it needed it. Got very costly and seemed to always need to fix something. Finally ended up having to fix the transmission and that was way more than the car. Not worth it. Maybe it was the mechanic trying to do everything even if it wasn't necessary. I never know exactly but I want my car to run smoothly. The car itself was nice and spacious and ran very well when it was.

Nicole Jones

February 27th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently drive a Ford Explorer and am loving it. I get a new car every few years and before I purchased this vehicle, I was going back and forth between the Explorer, Highlander and Pilot. I am beyond glad I went with Ford. It's safe, luxurious, reliable, and my local Ford dealer always provides the best service and maintenance. Would purchase again in a heartbeat.

Kimi Bayles

February 27th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best truck we’ve ever owned! Love the dependability of this great looking vehicle!

Jami Lucas

February 27th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband drive a truck and it was constantly having problems. We finally sold it.

Mary Haring

February 26th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We bought a used Ford truck F150 and it’s just ok. It shakes a lot going 80mph or faster and has other issues.

Seth Boudoin

February 25th, 2020 Dallas, TX

Extremely durable and excellent for towing long hauls. Amazing gas mileage to get you where you need to go and safely. My dads F-150 is one of the safest vehicles I ride in and has a great feature of 4 wheel drive for rough places.

Bill Nelson

February 25th, 2020 Midvale, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We owned a Escort in the past. Needed the four door version to accommodate the loading of a car seat. It had a four cylinder engine, which was under powered for the size of the car. Other than that it was a good little starter car for our young family.

AGenes

February 25th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Ford. Never had any problems. Fast and friendly service. Always notified when I should be due for service.

Jaci Rhoades

February 24th, 2020 Bryant, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I drove the Ford expedition for 4 years. The thing that impressed me the most was how big and spacious the vehicle was and such a smooth ride on the road.

Martha Gourley

February 23rd, 2020 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Good performance however repairs are terrible on the Escape. The design to make repairs is difficult. However it does not need repairs often.

Stacey

February 23rd, 2020 Price, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just bought a Ford Fusion and I absolutely LOVE it!! It is a dependable care, so far, it is comfortable and my son loves it as well!!!