Audi Logo

6.7

LAST UPDATED: March 10th, 2020

Founded in 1910, Audi AG is a German automaker with one of the best-selling luxury brands in the world. The company offers a diverse model lineup of convertibles, SUVs, sedans, and crossovers.

Audi Quattro, the world’s top-selling premium all-wheel-drive system, debuted in 1980 and became the first permanent all-wheel-drive system for passenger cars. Designed to be tested in snowy and icy conditions, this technology enhances performance and traction in wet weather conditions, as well as dry ones. It has been used by Audi Sport’s rally car racing teams and helps their cars perform on the course. Different production models even have different Quattro systems for different performance needs.

The Good

• Diverse Lineup
  • Future Tech
  • Satisfaction

Diverse Lineup

Coupes, convertibles, SUVs, crossovers, wagons, sedans, and sportbacks are all available from Audi.

The company also offers Audi Sport vehicles designed and developed by motorsport engineers. These vehicles include special all-wheel-drive systems to help with precision turning.

Future Tech

Audi has a history of innovation with its Quattro AWD performance technology, and that was just the beginning. The company is working with Sanyo on battery technology and has invested $15.9 billion in e-mobility and self-driving cars. Additionally, Audi’s E-tron fully-electric SUV is taking reservations for Spring 2019 delivery.

Satisfaction

In the latest American Customer Satisfaction Index, Audi ranked among the top 7 auto brands out of 28 measured and has the best standing of any German auto brand.

The Bad

• Powertrain Warranty
  • Diesel Emissions Issues
  • Takata Recall

Powertrain Warranty

Audi has a simple warranty policy. It combines the basic and powertrain warranties into one policy lasting for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. While this is a good period of time for the basic warranty, it falls behind when it comes to powertrain components. Many other brands warranty a powertrain policy for at least 5 or 6 years.

Diesel Emissions Issues

As a Volkswagen brand, 13,000 Audis were included in the diesel emissions scandal that happened in the 2010s. Under the court settlements, owners and lessees of involved Audi 3.0L TDI and Audi 2.0L TDI vehicles may be eligible for buyback, lease termination, emissions modification, or cash settlements.

Takata Recall

Various Audi models are included in the ongoing Takata airbag recall:

• 2006 to 2013 Audi A3
  • 2005 to 2008 Audi S4 Sedan
  • 2010 to 2012 Audi S5 Cabriolet
  • 2007 to 2011 Audi S6 Sedan
  • 2016 to 2017 Audi TT

If your car is on this list, make sure to check your VIN with Audi to see if your car is affected.

The Bottom Line

Audi offers sophisticated road vehicles capable of premium performance. While these vehicles are built for the road, the Audi Quattro all-wheel-drive system makes them adept at handling any weather conditions.

The brand offers a lesser powertrain warranty, but great consumer satisfaction scores. Audi is still recovering from involvement with the diesel emissions scandal; however, the upcoming release of the fully-electric E-Tron SUV should help in that regard.

View Best Car Brands

Carole Perfetti

Outstanding in every way. The salesperson has been the same for my last 4 vehicles. She knows me and what i like, respects my budget, and is the biggest reason i come back besides the quality of Audi vehicles.

Mary Kirsch

Great vehicles that live up to the hype. Reliable. Fun to drive. Not sure how they can improve on an already exceptional product, but I am sure they will find a way to out do themselves with another stunner

Steve Yates

Great cars, great performance, great tech features. Some models are difficult to find with colors/options wanted. Some options not offered on some models, and awkward packages.

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

I'm on my third Audi and won't ever switch. I ultimately chose the Audi because of safety ratings that it has...all the bells and whistles are just an added bonus! Really though, I love that Audi has the latest technology and provides a sleek and modern design in all their models without losing sight of safety.

Jennifer Bachan Dalton, PA

Audi is my car brand of choice. I have been in 2 car accidents where I should either be dead or had serious bodily harm. I walked away from both accidents with some injuries but not what it could have been if I had been in another car. I have had 4. I can't wait to buy another. The safety is beyond compare.

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

Loved my Audi 5000! It was my favorite car to drive and drove so smooth and efficiently that I was amazed. Loved the way it looked and it was very dependable. Still like the way the new ones look and would not hesitate a second to buy another one.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I bought an Audi 5000 just after I was married and it was a great car. It was stylish, ran really well, was smooth riding and dependable. I had lots of room and still had lots of room in the trunk. It did not require a lot of maintenance and did well on gas mileage also.

David Leatherman

I own a 2013 Audi Q5. I like everything about the car except the expensive maintenance and the required premium gasoline. It also has some low speed auto transmission shifting problems which cannot be fixed.

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

I had myself an Audi A4 for a while. After a few months my truck would leak when it snowed or rained and it would short out my windows and they would roll down and not go back up. After taking this in to get fixed it stayed fixed for a few weeks then started again. I ended up trading it back in for something else.

Sara S Tallahassee, FL

I own an Audi right now. It is a German car so you pay a hefty price tag for what you get. However, they are very nice. The only problem I have had was that there are a some recalls on certain models of their causes. Their customer service is top notch in the industry and I trust them completely.

Sara W

Cars are fantastic, Audi Centre servicing is expensive, so seek out another service centre that specialises in Audi

Logan Hudson Norcross, GA

Audi has been one of the better car types I have driven so far. They are fast and easy to drive, and the parts are maintained well.

Justin McMurtrey South Jordan, UT

I had an Audi a few years ago. I think they are good but not great luxury car. I think they are bit over priced in comparison to other luxury vehicles.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

I drove an Audi for a rental car once for work. It rode so smoothly, and the tech in the vehicle is amazing. Audi is now my dream car.

JR Suguturaga Orem, UT

It has been a reliable car and I enjoyed the performance of the vehicle. Because it is a foreign car though it was harder to find repairs.

Amanda Montebello, CA

I really liked driving an Audi because although it has a steeper price it also drives easier and has more accessible features.

Aimee Mortensen Salt Lake City, UT

We’ve owned a couple of Audi’s. They’ve been dependable up until the 200K mark. Then repairs become frequent and expensive.

Larry

German engineering. Car had been reliable and fun to drive.

abb

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED; BEST CUSTOMER SERVICE; GREAT WARRANTY

Reckholdt Magna, UT

I loved my Audi. It is just as nice as an Acura or Lexus I would say, but not as snooty. It had good power.

chris Francom Eagle Mountain, UT

I had an A4 for a long time. I put 220,000 miles on it with minimal maintenance and repairs.

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

I haven't had the best experiences with both Audi's I've driven. They drive too low for my taste.