iCal Logo

iCal is Apple’s calendar software, designed to fit the calendar needs of Apple users around the world. iCal can be accessed for free on a user’s Apple devices, and the calendar automatically syncs across all devices that a user is signed into.

iCal was designed with simplicity in mind. The mission of Apple revolves around creating an intuitive, easy-to-learn user experience so that users can spend less time learning and more time getting things done.

iCal fits this mission perfectly. The software makes it easy to create new events, keep track of schedules across multiple devices, and stay organized.

Plus, users of iCal benefit from Apple’s attention to detail and consistent software updates to remove bugs and improve the functionality of its platforms.

Calendar.com Logo
Calendar.com chevron_right
0.0
star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border
CiraSync Logo
CiraSync chevron_right
0.0
star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Compatibility
  • Multiple Calendars
  • Simple
  • Easy to Create and Modify Events

Compatibility

Apple is known for its compatibility among devices and applications, so it comes as no surprise that iCal works well with Apple’s mail and message applications. In fact, iCal will often be auto-populated with events from your texts or emails, such as flight schedules or dinner reservations.

For people who forget to put things in their calendar after hearing about them, this feature can save a lot of hassle.

Plus, iCal can be programmed to send you any number of reminders or notifications about upcoming events. These can come through in the form of push notifications to your phone, watch, etc.

The most recent notification setting gets saved for next time you create an event, so if you are consistent in the amount and frequency of reminders that you want, you will have to set it up only once, and iCal will remember for future events.

Multiple Calendars

iCal users can enjoy the benefit of seeing calendars from multiple platforms at once. Not only can you create as many calendars as you need (and choose a custom color for each one), but also you can subscribe to a number of calendars, such as US Holidays, Outlook calendars, or Google calendars.

You can also share calendars with other people who also use iCal, and thus, when you create an event on a shared calendar, the event automatically populates on the iCal of anyone who shares that calendar with you. This can be helpful for planning family gatherings, team projects, etc.

Simple

For users with simple calendar needs, iCal is a great choice. It is easy to figure out and use because it looks and functions much like a paper calendar.

The accessibility of iCal is appealing because you don’t have to spend much time organizing or stressing about how the software works. You can quickly begin scheduling events and reminders for those events, and you’re on your way.

Easy to Create and Modify Events

Events on iCal can be created with one click. They can also be easily dragged to a different date or time without any additional modification necessary.

Another nice feature is the fact that you can create recurring events, and you have complete control over which days of the week the events reoccur. Plus, if you need to make changes to or delete a single event that is recurring, you can make changes to that event only, and your others will remain unchanged.

The Bad

• Exclusive to Apple Users
  • To-Do List Not Included

Exclusive to Apple Users

Because iCal runs on Apple’s iOS operating system, it can be accessed only by users who own Apple technology, such as a MacBook, iPhone, or iPad.

For customers who use exclusively Apple products in their lives, this may not be a drawback at all. However, non-Apple users have no access to iCal.

Plus, those who maybe have one Apple product and other non-Apple products are not able to fully use iCal, since it works best when it can sync between all devices owned by a user. People in this category may find it difficult or impossible to integrate other calendars with iCal.

To-Do List Not Included

Unlike other calendar software platforms that have a place within the software interface where you can keep a list of reminders or to-do items, iCal does not offer a place to make or keep lists.

Apple does offer this feature in a separate Reminders application; however, if you are looking for a task list or reminder feature within iCal itself, you won’t find one.

Plus, if you try to circumvent this feature by creating events in your calendar that are tasks rather than actual events, you don’t have the option to snooze your notification when it comes. Thus, if you don’t do the task right at that time, you might forget about it, and an alert for it won’t pop up again.

The Bottom Line

iCal is a great option for Apple users. It has a lot of appealing features in terms of compatibility and simplicity. However, if you’re not an Apple user, iCal won’t work for you.

View Best Calendar Software Companies

4.8

Madisen Cluff CA

I rely on this app everyday. I have a very busy schedule so it is difficult for me to remember all of the things I have to do in a day. Thankfully, iCal allows you to mark multiple events in a day and reminds you before the event begins. It has been very nice to not feel like I am forgetting anything in my day.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

iCal adds events from my text messages and emails which is great and convenient . I like that I am able to mark myself as busy or not, so I can avoid over booking myself. If you need help with organizing your schedule use iCal.

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

I've used iCal ever since I got my iphone! I love the clean lines and how easy it is to add an event. It's not my favorite for calendaring my hour by hour schedule, but for birthday reminders and vacations I've loved it!

CJ Milke Olney, MD

I use iCal every day to keep track of my hectic schedule. I have multiple volleyball practices a day and iCal helps me keep track of when they start, and where they're located. The also send me reminders in advance to let me know that my event starts soon.

hminfo Olney, MD

I like that I can share various iCal calendars with members of my family. I also like how you can subscribe to other calendars in an easy way through iCal.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

I use iCal to keep track of my insane schedule. I have multiple volleyball practices a day and iCal helps me keep track of which practice is where and at what time.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

iCal is our family's go-to calendar software. I have each family member populated with their own color scheme in the calendar, and we can all share our calendars.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

My wife and I use iCal to keep track of all our events/appointments. It is an extremely easy interface to use and links to all our Apple products iCal even loads standard calenders such as the Washington Capitols Hockey schedule. We would be lost with out iCal to keep tract of our ommittments.

daphjohnson Saratoga Springs, UT

iCal is my lifesaver. I use this app to keep track of different events and appointments going on in my life. I also like the ability to share calendars with others so I can inform friends and family of events they need to know about.

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

iCal is a super easy and convenient way to organize your schedule into your phone. I love using this calendar

Elisabeth Kinghorn Bangkok, 10

iCal is the easiest way to organize your schedule! Once you try it, you won’t ever go back to anything else

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

iCal makes it so easy to keep track of your schedule right from your phone. It is very easy to add in events and super clear to see what you have. I love keeping track of my busy schedule and everything I have to do on here.

Jaida Williams Tallahassee, FL

I use iCal to log all of my assignments and upcoming events. I am able to color code and move events around. My favorite thing is that I am able to get notifications on upcoming events.

Aallen Katy, TX

It is very easy to add items to calendar. You can even use voice commands. I like how we can sync to all devices in the house to keep our calendars fluid.

murfday College Station, TX

I love that I can have personal and shared calendars. I like that I can import external calendars. Syncs up well between devices.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

iCal makes it simple to schedule your appointments, allowing sub-calendars that family members or friends can subscribe to. Calendar invitation system is glitchy.

Sarah VanLeuven Orem, UT

Not as user-friendly as I would like so I don’t use it too much.

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

How else am I supposed to know when my dentist appointment is scheduled for? Nice to schedule things on my calendar using Siri.

Rylaan Marlowe Roy, UT

Favorite calendar app, easy to use on all of my devices and easy to navigate layout.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

We like the ease of use on our phones and being able to share it with our family. Great app.

lscho2 Salt Lake City, UT

A bit of a learning curve to using it. Very good for staying on top of things. Notifications need to be on

Aayush Umesh Marietta, GA

Write everything on here. Super convenient that it can sync to my phone. Don’t know what I’d do without it!