Google Calendar Logo

Google Calendar

Is This Your Business?
LAST UPDATED: July 29th, 2021

Google Calendar is Google’s version of an online calendar, complete with all the standard features and scheduling options that calendar software requires. What makes Google Calendar unique is its compatibility with other Google services—primarily Gmail.

Google Calendar is the ideal choice for individuals or businesses who like to organize their lives into one software. Users who use Google as their primary search engine and email platform will find that Google Calendar fits seamlessly into their life already.

Google Calendar is great for individuals and teams, and for companies small and large. Its design is simple and its navigation is intuitive.

Calendar.com Logo
Calendar.com chevron_right
0.0
star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border
CiraSync Logo
CiraSync chevron_right
0.0
star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Features
  • Compatible with Gmail
  • Easy-to-Share Calendars
  • Works with Multiple Devices

Features

Google Calendar offers a number of unique features that make the user experience better and add to its aesthetic appeal as well.

One such feature is Schedule View, which allows you to see your schedule in visual form, with graphics or maps to accompany the different types of events you might have coming up.

Another helpful feature is Assist, which gives you smart suggestions as you start typing in events or attendees. You simply tap the suggestions that you want to include in your event invitation, rather than having to find each person or location individually.

You can also choose to show or hide whichever calendars are relevant to you at any given time, thus keeping your overall calendar view clean and organized.

Lastly, Google Calendar is completely backed up online, so if you ever lose your phone, you won’t lose your event schedule with it.

Compatible with Gmail

Since this is Google’s calendar feature, it works seamlessly with Gmail — Google’s email service. When you receive emails with meeting times or event invitations in your email, they automatically populate in your Google Calendar.

This helps your events and meetings not get buried in your email and gives you an easy way to see everything you have coming up without having to sift through your crowded inbox.

Plus, Google Calendar is also compatible with Google’s many other offerings, including Google Hangouts and Google Search. You can set up a Hangouts meeting right in the original invitation to your meeting and easily join the meeting when the time comes.

Easy-to-Share Calendars

Google Calendar allows you to have multiple calendars (differentiated by color and name) at the same time. While this feature is fairly standard across different calendar softwares, what is unique about Google Calendar is the easy process of adding other people to a calendar.

By adding other team members, coworkers, or personal connections to a calendar that applies to their schedule as well, you create an easy way for anyone added to the calendar to add events, schedule meetings, etc. This keeps everyone on the same page about what’s coming up.

Works with Multiple Devices

Google Calendar backs up all your calendar and task information, so that you can access it from your phone, tablet, computer, etc. This is convenient for users who are constantly switching devices throughout the day but need to access their schedule all the same.

Plus, Google Calendar works well not only with Android (Google’s mobile operating system) but also with iOS devices and other operating systems. This flexibility gives Google Calendar a wide range of potential users and thus makes it easy for users to coordinate with one another, even if they are using different operating systems.

The Bad

• Limited Color Options for Calendars
  • Can’t Edit Multiple Events at Once
  • Reminders Can Get Lost
  • Duplicate Events

Limited Color Options for Calendars

Compared to other calendar software services, Google Calendar has limited color options and doesn’t allow you to create your own calendar colors. This can be frustrating for users who deal with multiple calendars daily and want the option to customize each one as much as possible.

Can’t Edit Multiple Events at Once

If you have scheduled multiple events or reminders and need to change the time or date on all of them, Google Calendar does not offer the option to select multiple events and edit them all at once.

Rather, you have to go through and edit each event individually, which can be time consuming and tedious if you need to shift an entire day or week on your calendar.

Reminders Can Get Lost

Google Calendar’s reminder feature for events defaults to 10 minutes before the event starts. For many people, this is not enough time in advance, so they have to manually go in and change the default reminder time frame.

Plus, when it comes to task reminders, these reminders come only once — on the day that the task is due. If you don’t get around to certain tasks, they don’t stay on your list until you complete them. This might mean you forget to do items on your list if you don’t complete them on the day they were due.

Duplicate Events

Google Calendar makes it easy to have multiple calendars showing at once, but this can also be a drawback if you schedule an event on your personal calendar that also shows up on your work or family calendar because someone else scheduled it and invited you.

If this is the case, you will end up receiving multiple event notifications for the same event, and your overall calendar view will start to look cluttered.

The Bottom Line

Google Calendar is a logical choice for people who already use Google’s many other services. The calendar is free and easy to use, and pairs well with most operating systems and devices.

While some features of Google Calendar aren’t as customizable as users might hope, overall the platform is a simple, go-to option for individuals and companies alike.

View Best Calendar Software Companies

Anne Sainsbury South Jordan, UT

Google Calendar is such a great resource! It is easy to integrate with CRM's, Google, etc. I love being able to have everything in one place on my calendar so that I can keep track of it all easily. It also is super easy to set up notifications for your scheduled activities to make sure that you don't miss anything!

Quinn Lawrence Logan, UT

Ever since I started using Google calendar I've been able to remember things I need to get done, and events I need to be to. I love the reminding feature.

Pauline Causse Draper, UT

I have really liked using google calendar for sharing events with other people. It's also nice because it will sometimes find events to add to my calendar based on confirmation emails I get.

hminfo Olney, MD

Google calendar's various calendar overlapping features are extremely helpful for comparing various schedules. I like the color coding so you can see different sets of meetings at a glance.

Greg Francis Saratoga Springs, UT

I had a hard time, coming over from outlook, converting to the User Interface and experience, but have come to find that Google Calendar has made me more productive than other calendar tools. flexibility, convenience of browser and mobile availability make it great for personal and business needs

Steve Ashby Portland, OR

I've just started working with Google Calendar as a personal replacement. I've always used my Outlook account through my employer, but I want to start moving all my personal activity over to Google Calendar. I really like the integration with the Alexa devices I have and with my Gmail account. So far I'm encouraged by the app and looking forward to using it full-time after retirement.

Kassidy Roberts CA

Google calendar is such a lifesaver, especially because it syncs to all of my devices and keeps important yearly dates

Jason Spokane, WA

Very easy to use. I love how compatible it is across all platforms and easy to share events and calendars with others.

Rylie Crandall Nakhon Sawan, 60

I liked how easy it is to navigate and feel organized with Google Calendar. However, I did not like how sometimes my events wouldn't save to my calendar sometimes.

Christopher Milke Olney, MD

Good calendar software but would appreciate it if the sync with Outlook wasn't abandoned and was still supported. Would help with managing multiple calendars across platforms.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

I have used Google Calendar as a work calendar. It is great for allowing others in the office to see your schedule and set up meetings without having to ask all around first.

Bethany Rockville, MD

The first thing I do everyday is to check my google calendar. The reminder function is very helpful. In Addition, the whole family can share the same calendar though google calendar. It makes my life so much easier!

Jared Provo, UT

I've used Google Calendar for years and have been very impressed! It's super easy to use between devices, and it makes scheduling meetings with others a breeze. Nothing but good from a very extensive user!

Max Winkel Salt Lake City, UT

I used google calender for a couple years now and it is simple to use and thats what I like about it. You can quickly get into it and make an appointment and can set it to get alerts on your phone when the time comes for your appointments. I like how it is basic and free and would recommend you use it.

Taylor Larson Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love how simple, clean, and organized my schedule feels and looks when I use Google Calendar.

KS Orem, UT

Love that we can combine mine and my husbands calendars to know each other's schedules.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Google Calendar is so easy to use. I use it at work and it’s just convenient to add simple things to my calendar and keeping everything in one place.

Gary Woo Salt Lake City, UT

I use Google calendar at home and at work. It is really easy to add new events like assignment due dates or class meetings. It is also easy to edit the details of meetings.

Morgan Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I Love Google Calendar! I have used Google Calendar for years and love how easy and useful it is! Such a great way to have shared calendars and stay on top of your schedule!

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I am a very forgetful person, so google calendar is my life. I put all my due dates for school, work, etc. I’m there and it sends me notifications when when the date is approaching. It’s also very easy to use and I can access it on my phone or my laptop at any time.

Lisa C Johnson Hyattsville, MD

Since I discovered this I use it all the time. This calendar is the way I am keeping myself organized. If it ever goes down I will be totally lost. You have the ability to see it daily, weekly, or monthly. I normally look at it monthly to see all my activities at a glance for the month. I love this feature.

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

Google Calendar makes it so easy to keep track of your schedule right from your phone. I love the layout and it's so easy to add events.

Jason Burt Riverton, UT

I use Google Calendar for all of my personal calendaring items. I love that I can sync up my different calendars and that my family can all see each other's calendar items.

Rose Nuffer Orem, UT

Google Calendar allows me to be more organized and to better budget my time. It also makes it easier to coordinate events with other people.

Thomas Nuffer Orem, UT

Google Calendar helps keep our family organized, I appreciate the notifications that help keep me informed of what is happening.

Alexa Cooper Provo, UT

I like it! Some things I wish were easier to navigate and edit more quickly, but maybe that’ll happen soon! I like that it transfers across platforms so easily.

G Burt ,

Great calendar app that has been my go-to calendar app for years. Love the features and the ease of use. Overall a great product.

Cynthia DeGrey ,

I use my Google calendar all the time and it’s synced with my computer so I always know what my schedule is for the day

Julianna Bateman Mont Alto, PA

Overall I enjoy using Google calendar. It can be hard to figure out how to un-sync a calendar but other than that, the app has been great!

murfday College Station, TX

Easy to use. It seems to be utilized y many companies and regular people so it is easy to share events. A typical Google product.

Jennifer Ashby Lehi, UT

I have used Google Calendar for years and it's how I keep track of everything in my family's busy schedule.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I love the Google Calendar. It is easy to use and the editing tools are great. I especially like month-at-a-glance calendar!

Erna Valcin Tallahassee, FL

This company allows you to stay on top of things and be very organized. I love how customizable it is.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

Planning events/appointments is easy with Google Calendar, it's just that the calendar design is boring and clunky.

Lizzie Billings West Valley City, UT

This keeps my organized! I love that I can invite others to meetings and events.

Jarrett Ingram Newport News, VA

Such a great way to keep track of my meetings. Love the constant reminders, ad how you can color code different types of meetings/groups.

Rylaan Marlowe Roy, UT

Good app, just don’t like the layout of it. Helps keep track of my busy life easily!

Whit Provo, UT

Google Calendar has helped me to keep my life organized. It is simple and affective.

lscho2 Salt Lake City, UT

It was very easy to use and kept our school team connected for projects use with notifications.

Kori Houston Tallahassee, FL

Very easy to use and efficient. I use this with my students.