Founded in 2009 and headquartered in Lexington, Kentucky, Knetbooks is an online bookstore that specializes in textbooks. Using the company’s services, customers can buy, rent, and sell textbooks and ebooks.
- Sell-back policy
- Free shipping
- Customer reviews
Knetbooks follows through on its goal to provide a simple website. Its search engine for finding textbooks is easy to navigate. The company also provides several resources for answering customer questions, which helps make the processes for renting, purchasing, and selling textbooks low-stress. The following features set Knetbooks apart in this industry and make the company an appealing option for anyone in need of a textbook:
- Sell-back policy: To begin with, it’s a major credit to this company that it offers the option to sell your textbooks. Plenty of companies offer the options to buy and rent textbooks, but not all of them let you sell books back. Many students don’t have a need for their books once a class ends, and books can wind up just wasting space. Through Knetbooks, you can get rid of books you don’t want or need anymore—not only freeing up space but also giving you a return on some of the money you spent on them. Knetbooks limits its sell-back process to online only, rather than allowing customers to sell their books in a store. This makes the sell-back process even more convenient.
- Free shipping: One of the best perks about Knetbooks is its shipping policy. All of your orders will be free! Not only is it free to get books; Knetbooks also offers free shipping for when you return your rental. With online purchases, shipping can turn into an expensive hassle, but with Knetbooks, you can receive and return books at no charge.
- Return policy: When you make a purchase through Knetbooks, you have 25 days to return your book if you need to. All things considered, this is a very reasonable amount of time to make a return. Although some competing bookstores allow 30 to 60 days to return, there are a number of other companies that only provide a two-week return window. A 25-day return policy is plenty of time to make your decision and take care of the logistics. However, it is important to read the return policy fine print. A 10 percent restocking fee plus return shipping are charged to you as the buyer.
- Customer reviews: Particularly with online companies, product reviews can be incredibly helpful to know what you can expect from a company. To its credit, Knetbooks provides customer reviews on its website, which can help you decide whether their services will meet your needs. In addition, the company provides a place to write a review of your own about a book. As a customer, it’s nice to be heard and to hear genuine feedback from others.
- Lack of experience
- No memberships available
- No audiobooks
While the customer policies at Knetbooks are positive qualities, this company does have a few areas to improve on. Knetbooks is still a newer company in this industry, and while many aspects of its business approach may appeal to customers, the company may still need time to refine what it offers. In particular, Knetbooks specializes in textbook sales, which is a bonus for students, but it limits its business to textbooks only, which makes it unappealing to many other customers. The following aspects could turn into sources of frustration for a variety of customers:
- Lack of experience: Knetbooks has only been in business since 2009, which means that it’s a relatively new player in the industry. The company is most likely still working out its business tactics, establishing a solid customer base, and expanding its inventory. While it’s not necessarily a red flag to do business with a newer company, it can be a deterrent for customers who prefer a more experienced business that has had time to build its reputation.
- No memberships available: For customers who would prefer to pay for a membership to an online bookstore, Knetbooks won’t be a great option. This company is better suited for individual purchases than wholesale purchases. Again, this isn’t always a red flag for customers, but it can make a company unappealing for students who expect to regularly purchase books. In that regard, memberships can be more convenient and make a customer feel more established with a retailer.
- No audiobooks: Finally, Knetbooks does offer textbooks and ebooks, but it does not offer audiobooks. Some students would prefer learning from audiobooks for a number of reasons, so for these individuals, Knetbooks may not be the best option. It’s great that the company has built up an inventory of textbooks, but it would be nice to have that additional format options for students who prefer or need it.