KnetBooks Logo

KnetBooks

Founded in 2009 and headquartered in Lexington, Kentucky, Knetbooks is an online bookstore that specializes in textbooks. Using the company's services, customers can buy, rent, and sell textbooks and ebooks.

Knetbooks follows through on its goal to provide a simple website. Its search engine for finding textbooks is easy to navigate. The company also provides several resources for answering customer questions, which helps make the processes for renting, purchasing, and selling textbooks low-stress.

Customers will appreciate that they can select from several rental periods and are not stuck with a semester-long rental period only. You can also choose quarter or short term. Knetbooks also allows you to extend your rental any time for an additional fee.

While the customer policies at Knetbooks are positive qualities, this company does have a few areas to improve on. In particular, Knetbooks specializes in textbook sales, which is a bonus for students, but it limits its business to textbooks only, which makes it unappealing to many other customers. However, because it specializes in textbooks, Knetbooks has developed policies that will likely make a student’s life easier.

The Good

• Sell-Back Policy
  • Free Shipping and Returns
  • Return Policy
  • Customer Reviews

Sell-Back Policy

It's a major credit to this company that it offers the option to sell your textbooks. Plenty of companies offer the options to buy and rent textbooks, but not all of them let you sell books back. Many students don't have a need for their books once a class ends, and books can wind up just wasting space. Through Knetbooks, you can get rid of books you don't want or need anymore — not only freeing up space but also giving you a return on some of the money you spent on them. Knetbooks limits its sell-back process to online only, rather than allowing customers to sell their books in a store. This makes the sell-back process even more convenient.

Free Shipping and Returns

One of the best perks about Knetbooks is its shipping policy. All of your orders will be free! Not only is it free to get books; Knetbooks also offers free shipping for when you return your rental. With online purchases, shipping can turn into an expensive hassle, but with Knetbooks, you can receive and return books at no charge.

Return Policy

When you make a purchase through Knetbooks, you have 25 days to return your book if you need to. All things considered, this is a very reasonable amount of time to make a return. Although some competing bookstores allow 30 to 60 days to return, there are a number of other companies that only provide a two-week return window. A 25-day return policy is plenty of time to make your decision and take care of the logistics.

However, it is important to read the return policy fine print. A 10 percent restocking fee plus original and return shipping are charged to you as the buyer. For short-term rentals, items must be received within 15 days of the ship date.

Customer Reviews

Particularly with online companies, product reviews can be incredibly helpful to know what you can expect from a company. To its credit, Knetbooks provides customer reviews on its website, which can help you decide whether its services will meet your needs. In addition, the company provides a place to write a review of your own about a book. As a customer, it's nice to be heard and to hear genuine feedback from others.

The Bad

• No Memberships Available
  • No Audiobooks
  • CDs and Additional Materials Not Guaranteed

No Memberships Available

For customers who would prefer to pay for a membership to an online bookstore, Knetbooks won't be a great option. This company is better suited for individual purchases than wholesale purchases. Again, this isn't always a red flag for customers, but it can make a company unappealing for students who expect to regularly purchase books. In that regard, memberships can be more convenient and make a customer feel more established with a retailer.

No Audiobooks

Finally, Knetbooks does offer textbooks and ebooks, but it does not offer audiobooks. Some students would prefer learning from audiobooks for a number of reasons, so for these individuals, Knetbooks may not be the best option. It's great that the company has built up an inventory of textbooks, but it would be nice to have that additional format option for students who prefer or need it.

CDs and Additional Materials Not Guaranteed

Knetbooks does not guarantee that supplemental materials will be included with your rental. This means you may not receive access codes, CDs or other supplemental instructional material along with your textbook. This may or may not be an issue for customers depending on how their classes use the textbook. However, the uncertainty about whether or not you will receive the supplemental materials could prove inconvenient.

The Bottom Line

Knetbooks offers many positive features, including free shipping, a reasonable return policy, and the option for students to sell back textbooks. However, Knetbooks does not offer memberships or audiobooks and also does not guarantee its customers access to supplemental materials.

1.0

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Michael Houston, TX

Received an email after placing an order with knetbooks, indicating that the book had been delivered. No textbook was ever received. Waited 2 days, as the email suggested, and reached out when the textbook had yet to be received. The response I got is as follows: "After reviewing the tracking information on your order, it appears the carrier reported this item delivered on (05/26/2021). It is A Book Co's policy to stand by the report of the carrier. In these situations, we cannot replace or refund the order. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If this item is a rental, please keep in mind you are held accountable for the return or purchase of this item at the end of the rental period." Knetbooks refused to take any responsibility for their lost delivery, and had the gall to inform me I would be responsible for returning a rental I never received. This level of obscene customer service is deplorable, and I caution everyone to think twice before placing an order with Knetbooks, else they might find themselves in the same situation. The lack of consideration in this situation is heinously negligent.

Shelly Melbourne, FL

Placed my first order with this company. After waiting the 5 business days, I had to email them to find out why my book had not shipped yet. Email was promptly returned but only to find out that my book was not available to them and they would be kind enough to send 2nd day if and when it became available. I could only wait a couple more days before my classes were starting. I had to cancel my order and was told it would be 3-5 business days to see my refund. So now I will have to put out even more $ to purchase before I can get my $ back from Knetbooks. Will NEVER order from this company again- AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Jennifer Klubnik Hilliard, OH

I'm assuming I can leave a review here since I don't see a place for it. I rented a book (first time) and I received a used book for my summer semester use. The book arrived clearly USED (which is what I expected of course). It had markings in it (highlighting, underlining, frayed binding, typical things you'd find in a used graduate program book). I thought nothing of it since it was, and let me emphasize again, a USED book. When the semester was over, I sent the book back just as I received it, and I was blamed and charged for the damages. (the full price of a NEW book!) . When reaching out to customer service, it took several days to get a response, and I was told by Monica that I should have brought those issues up when I received the book originally. Why would I? It's a USED book! Most have markings and appear to have been USED. I would expect those things as should they. I'm beyond angry and disappointed in the poor customer service, and I will never do business with this company again.

Evelynn Woody Alvin, TX

My daughter is a new college student. I ordered her books from several sites. This place had no problem taking my money and over 9 days later after told it would ship within 5 days still no book and no one can tell me why or when it will ship. My books from chegg Amazon and textbook.com have all come in. They also say it will take at least a week to get my money back. I will never use this company again you can't speak to a supervisor nobody seems to know anything even simple questions like why it hasn't shipped when it will ship or what is going on. If you want your books in any time frame at all please use any other bookstore online

ChicagoGrad SkoolEarling Chicago, IL

Horrible customer service. I thankfully ordered my textbook with plenty of time and I received the wrong book and the worst part was that it included the other customers personal info (address apt num etc) in the inside packing slip. Mistakes happen right? Okay fine, but as a working busy student I tried reaching out by email first. Close to a week went by and i got absolutely no reply. Nothing . I decided to chat and the rep was indifferent at best. No apology was offered and the only thing Quann said was they could either replace or refund AFTER the book was received. Totally unacceptable! I needed this book NOW and they were still being completely unreasonable! The rep just said sorry about inconvenience when ending the chat. This was a few days ago, I haven't received any confirming emails that the right book is being dispatched and finally another idiot rep finally emailed me back saying " I seen you been serviced, contact us with any other questions-Trish" again no apologies for original issue, delay or even an reiteration or update on what took place . Sounds like their employees are poorly trained in customer service. With so many competing companies it's a shame. I'll stick to googling the ISBN number and checking out a few sites before going with this horrible company who doesn't consider customer service as an important matter.

Angry San Diego, CA

Absolutely horrible experience with this company. They are extremely deceiving and dishonest. I placed an order with them and requested to cancel my order hours later. I made sure that the book had not been shipped yet. They went ahead and shipped my order anyways. They emailed me saying it was too late to cancel the order. I am absolutely certain that they did this purposely so that I would have to pay to send the book back. When I received the book, I immediately shipped it back and asked for a full refund. The online system was offering me $3 out of the $17.50 that I paid. Absolutely ridiculous. I emailed them immediately asking for a FULL refund. They agreed to issue me a FULL refund, however, my account showed I was only going to be refunded $12.20 out of the $17.20. I emailed them once again asking them to fix this. They agreed to change the amount to $17.20. However, once I checked my bank statement, I discovered that they only refunded me the $12.20. This is absolutely unacceptable! They continuously lied to me! Did they think I would forget to check my bank statement and blindly believe that they'd refund me the full amount? I have all my emails as proof. Don't waste your time with this dishonest and TERRIBLE company. I am still waiting to receive my entire refund from these scammers.

Crissy Torres

I had the worst experience with knetbooks which I am very disappointed because I have rented with them for many years, and they treat loyal customers like crap. I was in the hospital for emergency surgery with no access to call or return my items which were five days late. This company charged me the entire amount of the book without notice nor did the policy state this was a thing. The amount was about $300 after I was discharged from the hospital I called and explained to them what happen and they didn't care the lady stated that if I got to a phone that they would have offered me an extension but since I didn't that they couldn't do anything. That's ridiculous if I would have called it could be late, but I didn't so they charge me $300 without notice I call that stealing and fraud. I went into an emergency surgery and they did not care. I will not recommend this company to anyone ever again. WHAT A SCAM!

Jazmin Gales Creek, OR

It seems like my experience is shared by many others, this company charges an outrageous amount for late returns. This was my first time using this rental company, I should of stayed with my regular "go to" rental companies Ecampus, and Valore. I will, never, ever used them again. Please stay away from them. I admit that I returned the book 3 days later than the due date, but I was charged $250 for a book that costs between $80-$120 new. The customer service rep. told me they will only refund 50% of the charges. This company is receiving from me a total of $200 for a book that I don't even get to keep. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. I read their service agreement which does not state what the late fee will be. Be aware that the fee they charge will be more than 50% of the actual book cost, plus whatever you already paid for the rental.

Matt Lomax Houston, TX

DONT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I rented a book from them, it was cheap like 30 total for the semester. My school semester ended and literally about two days after it ends they require it to be shipped. I wasnt even aware that there was a deadline. It turns out, their deadline is very strictly enforced. A week or so after I sent the book off, they charged my card $200. I thought that it was an error, they would process the book into their system and refund the amount. I waited.... a week. They didnt. I called they said they will refund 50% which is ridiculous. I ended up getting 75% refund of the damn fee. So they charged me $50 for the book being a few days late. THEY DONT MAKE THEIR DUE DATES CLEAR AND APPARENT. BEWARE!!!

jenna Salvisa, KY

HORRIBLE COMPANY. I ordered a book and paid for upgraded shipping to ensure i would have it for class. The book is scheduled to arrive a week after the guaranteed delivery date. Customer service could have cared less about my issue and were rude and unhelpful. First time ordering from this company I'll stick with using Chegg or just pay full price to avoid this company.

Jessica Edgerton, OH

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! Horrible customer service. After my experience, when all was said and done I was out about $280 for the rental of 3 books. If I could give them a zero I would. Customer service was all so horrible they even threatened to "terminate my phone call," although I never cursed, raised my voice, or was rude. I would pay double somewhere else before I ever rented here again. EVER.

Pa rulu Bridgeport, CT

I ordered Portales Spanish Book with access codes for $118.00 from Knetbooks because it had a better discount than any company. However, it did not come with the access code. When I called the company , They said it was not guaranteed. They should have said that on the website before I ordered it. No, help or reimbursement or nothing. Now I have to pay the full price at the college bookstore which doesn't include the lost money from Knetbooks.

brittany Atlanta, GA

I recently rented a textbook with this company. The textbook was 6 days late, which I was not aware of. The only email I received was one telling me my card was charged $147 for the full amount of the book. I returned the book immediately. When I called customer service, I was told that they sent three emails advising of when it was due/late, which was not true. The only option is a 50% refund which is ridiculous. I am now awaiting a supervisor to call me.

L Fredericksburg, VA

Absolutely horrific. I wish I read these reviews before ordering my books. The company cancelled my order the next day with no clear explanation as to why and won’t refund me for a week. Now I have no textbooks and no money. Just use amazon or chegg as they are reputable and have standards when it comes to customer service and shipping.