This online shopping powerhouse has staked its claim on a large portion of the book market for a reason: our review research found Amazon to offer the largest selection of books, combined with the lowest prices, of all the online bookstores we reviewed.

Better World Books chevron_right
Barnes & Noble chevron_right
iBooks chevron_right

The Good

• Large selection
  • Low prices
  • Great features

Amazon shows a running tally of how many items it has available for purchase in each category. On the day we checked its selection, Amazon had over 22 million new books, over 24 million used books and over 1 million collectible books - numbers that far surpass any other online bookstore we reviewed. As part of our review process, we also compared ten New York Times bestselling-books in print, ebook, and audio formats, and Amazon was the only site to carry each book in every format (Barnes & Noble and Books-a-Million tied for a very close second in this category). To really top it off, Amazon's prices were consistently the lowest, just barely beating out Barnes & Noble for bragging rights once again.

Besides the low prices, purchasing a $99.00 Amazon Prime membership can also save you money. It's most cost-effective for families, because up to four family members in the same household can share the membership for no additional fees. Amongst other benefits, the membership offers free two-day shipping, monthly borrowing from the Kindle Owners Lending Library and free monthly ebook downloads through Kindle First.

Amazon offers all the features you would expect from an online bookstore, including basic search, advanced search, browse by category, both editorial and user reviews and the option to save wishlist items for later reference. In addition, Amazon offers more support options than any of the other online bookstores we reviewed: you can browse frequently-asked questions, chat with a support representative online, email a query or submit your phone number and wait for a call back.

We were pleased to learn that Amazon invests in both sustainable and community-based charitable causes. For example, Amazon has donated Kindle devices and ebooks to elementary schools, funded several disaster relief campaigns and supported children's organizations like the Boys and Girls Clubs, Little League, Toys for Tots, Girls Inc. and Make-a-Wish Foundation. Amazon also ships most of its orders in environmentally-friendly packaging, implements energy-efficient distribution and shipping practices, and operates out of a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold-certified headquarters in Seattle. LEED certifications are awarded by the US Green Building Council in recognition of buildings that "save money and resources and have a positive impact on the health of occupants, while promoting renewable, clean energy."

The Bad

• Converting files
  • No PayPal option
  • Legal issues

If you opt to become a loyal ebook buyer on Amazon, you'll want to use one of Amazon's Kindle ereader devices. You can read KF8, MOBI and AZW ebook file formats on a Kindle, but if you want to read other formats, like an ePub, you'll need to either convert the file or download a different reader app onto your Kindle. This means you'll spend extra time converting files or end up with separate libraries to toggle between, either of which will make your reading experience a little less efficient and convenient.

We did notice that Amazon doesn't accept PayPal as a form of purchase. PayPal is one of the most common forms of online payment these days and Amazon's failure to offer it as an option seems like a silly oversight - except that PayPal happens to be owned by eBay, which is a major competitor of Amazon's (well played, Amazon). However, Amazon does accept all major credit cards, and even some of the less-popular credit cards, so you'll still have plenty of ways to pay.

Amazon has also gotten into some legal trouble over its business practices. In 2013, Amazon paid a penalty of $455,000 to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for an injunction that was filed alleging that Amazon violated the Textile Fiber Products Identification Act. Specifically, the FTC cited Amazon for advertising products as "100% organic bamboo," "100% bamboo knit" or other similar claims while simultaneously advertising that the products did in fact contain other fiber content.

In July 2014, the FTC filed another injunction against Amazon, this time alleging that millions of dollars in unauthorized charges incurred by children were billed to account holders anyway. This is in violation of an FTC Act stating that a "business' practices are unfair if they cause substantial injury to consumers that consumers themselves cannot reasonably avoid." The main issue in question is Amazon's games and apps, which often encourage the purchasing of virtual items by billing a user's account - however, there are no password requirements or other protections in place to keep users' children from approving charges without parental consent. If Amazon is found guilty, it will have to refund several million dollars obtained from in-game and in-app purchases, as well as put protections in place to prevent billing to any user's account without consent.

The Bottom Line

Amazon is a wise choice for any bookworm. Whether you're looking for new, used, ebooks, audio or even collectible, Amazon's selection and prices are attractive. Furthermore, Amazon's Kindle devices continue to remain a favorite among ebook readers.

Amazon's commitment to improving communities and the environment also helped its rating. Socially- and environmentally-conscious consumers can feel good about shopping with Amazon.

One final note: we will keep tabs on the current FTC investigation regarding Amazon's unauthorized in-game and in-app purchases, and will update our review to reflect the outcome once the case has been settled.

Mirna Hanna

March 17th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have always rented or bought books from amazon, and their service is great, they ensure fast delivery especially for students

Theodore Niemann

March 11th, 2020 Boulder, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon has made it way easier for me to buy books for classes instead of paying full price at my university. I love that I can save money with Amazon.

Jadon Barre

March 8th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I bought the entire Harry Potter series with Amazon. The site is easy to use and the prices are reasonable. No problems. No complaints.

Emily

March 3rd, 2020 Crawfordville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon has become the only place where I order books online. Other retailers cannot compete with their prices, and they don't price match. Plus, with 2 day shipping I can't say no!

Molly Keogh

February 19th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon Bookstore is way to convenient. I can get pretty much any book within minutes and deciding I want it. The selection and ease of use of the website is fantastic.

Nicholas Genes

February 18th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’m not a big fan of the book store because of the lack of user friendliness but you can get some cheap books and they download straight to the kindle app.

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon Bookstore is quite possible the largest and best selection of books online. It's massive inventory and body of sellers has this as the ultimate destination to find the common or the absolutely rarest of titles. Nothing compares to the gargantuan marketplace that is Amazon Bookstore. The web portal organized in a great way that allows for browsing as well as targeted searches. What a value!

Jamie Neider

February 5th, 2020 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love, love, love buying my books from Amazon. I regularly buy my coffee table books from them and they have such good prices! I also love getting my books so quickly. Makes book club much easier to stay on top of!

Beverly Schacher

February 4th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love buying books (new and used) on Amazon! Selection is fantastic, reviews are interesting to read and prices are very competitive. Shipping is usually fast. I definitely recommend using Amazon for books!

Darbles32

February 2nd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I get almost every book I have from amazon it is so easy to use and they always have the book I’m looking for

Mykahla Nelson

February 1st, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon literally have saved my life. I ordered my college text book and it was there super fast!

Heidy Mejia

July 30th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

the first place I check whenever I'm looking for a book it's Amazon, I usually find what I want. The only thing is that sometimes the books are a bit pricey that they usually are. There is a lot of diversity in their store.

Hannah Giles

February 18th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been a loyal customer of Amazon for many years. I purchase from Amazon at least four times per month. Using the app on my phone is the easiest way. It takes me only 2 minutes to find what I want and purchase it. Amazon is very good to work with with returns as well. I can always find the books that I want. I have even searched for books that have been out of print for many years and have been able to find what I am looking for.

Tanner Cook

December 15th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the Amazon bookstore and I love how easy it is to download books on my Kindle. They have every title that I’ve wanted, and if you read a lot of books this price is great.

Angie L Hanzel

November 6th, 2018 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have found Amazon is usually the cheapest place to find a book. I also love their prime shipping so I don't have to wait more than a few days to get the books I want. I have also found they have the best selection. I can always find what I'm looking for. Their website is very user friendly and I love their no hassle return policy

Isabelle Hong

October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon gives you a giant variety of books and it's very easy to order them. At the click of a button you can by a book and it will come in a few days. You can find just about any book you want.

Šarūnas Karbauskas

October 16th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have recently bought a Kindle and it has made reading a very pleasurable experience. Combining that with the Amazon Bookstore and its wide array of selections has helped me to get into reading again.

Shari Evers

September 16th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I am in need of a book I check out amazon first. New and used selections are amazing. And even the most random book they seem to have it!

Thomas Hullinger

August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to order and use and you can return them also if you need to. Good prices and I love the easy shipping.

Hunter Kasprzyk

July 1st, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used amazon whenever I need a book for person use or a book for school. If i need a book by monday I can order it on Friday and not worry about it not getting here in time. Never had any problems.

Tom

June 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Love Amazon, their selection, easy ordering and quick shipping are the best in the business.

CAROLE SCOVILLE

June 9th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

So easy to download books here to read on my phone. Love the instant download

Sadie Scoville

June 9th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love to read and accessing books on Amazon is really easy when you have service.

A Craw

June 8th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Loved my experience with 2 day shipping. It was excellent and I look forward to using it again.

Martha Sensiba

June 4th, 2018 Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon is the best place to get books. I love reading and they have the best selection.

Ashley

June 3rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like shopping at Amazon Bookstore because they have any book I like for a cheap price.

L. Fowler

June 2nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have purchased several books from the Amazon Bookstore and have never been disappointed. Some of them have been used and the description is exactly what is described in the profile. They are delivered in packaging that is secure and come in a timely manner.

H Moore

May 31st, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I buy almost all of my books from Amazon, both in Kindle and paperback formats.

Bella Houtz

May 30th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon Book store is a great option to get books from because it is simple and has a great variety of books!

Schon

May 1st, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You can find any book you want for great prices. I bought a book for one cent, although I had to pay a little for shipping.

K Robison

April 29th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great place to buy books and everything else. Prime makes it ship fast and it is worth the yearly price

Julia Scoville

April 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cheap place to get books. Although their rating scale for the condition the book is in isn't always accurate. I've always had good customer service there with no late orders.

Erin Rhoton

April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love getting books from Amazon! It is so easy to buy a book on my Kindle and it automatically downloads. I also have a Prime Membership so I can buy a hard copy of a book and get it in two days.

Jeff Martin

April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always can find what I need on Amazon and Amazon Prime makes it even easier to get your products fast. Great prices too

Trent

April 17th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love them! I can get books for cheap and then sell them back for good prices

Michael

April 15th, 2018 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Easy to shop and find products. Fast shipping

Anne Marie Milne

April 15th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only way to shop for books. Amazon Bookstore almost always has the cheapest prices and they are high quality. You can also get them used if you want them at an even cheaper price. Look here before you buy somewhere else.

Sandy

April 15th, 2018 Seaside, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Better deals on prices of books. I usually order from Amazon when buying a brand new book.

Nathan

April 10th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Whenever I need to buy a book the first place I go is Amazon. Just make sure if you rent from them not to be late, I think they need to change their late fee policy.

Landon Robison

April 7th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Only ever buy my books on Amazon. They have the best prices and a lot of used book options that are like they are brand new but for a fraction of the price. I would definitely recommend. Amazon's customer service is also the best I have ever come in contact with. I never worry about having a bad buying experience with them because they always take care of their customers.

Cassidy Gundersen

December 18th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My husband bought me a Kindle Fire for my birthday, and I read ebooks on it all the time. Buying books from Amazon and reading them on a tablet is pretty great. I used to not like it, but once I had a baby, it was so much easier to read an ebook on my phone or tablet than a physical book.

Suzanna Wootton

December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Ever since I found out that I could buy my textbooks for school on amazon, I've always done it. It is so easy and the prices are amazing!

Natasha

December 16th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the choices that i have available to me instantly. if it wasn't for the unlimited i would of have insane long ago. only thing i would change is being able to change date that i pay them without going though i long complicated process.

Patrick

December 14th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This place is great. It is a very easy purchase. Not difficult. There is a reason the guy who owns this is worth 100 billion dollars. My grandma lives right downtown Seattle and hates Jeff Bezos because he is buying all the property down there. I still think that's fine because the amazon site is amazon. Worth it.

Lindsey

December 10th, 2017 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used Amazon for buying so many books and textbooks. They ALWAYS have the lowest prices. They have lots of options if you want to rent, buy, used, new, etc.

Hannah

December 9th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always happy with my books from Amazon. No qualms! They are my go-to every time.

Ashleigh

December 6th, 2017 Tooele, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Amazon has done a great job with getting my book orders delivered and shipped in a speedy manner, especially with pre ordered books.

Linda Hill

November 10th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Can't say enough good things about Amazon's selection of books and the value you get on shipping. Most always it is absolutely free!

Hyrum

November 6th, 2017 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I enjoy the seamless system Amazon has set up to purchase ebooks. I love my Kindle, and it's easy to get books on there or on a computer or phone. They have a great selection and sometimes I find books for free (like the entire Harry Potter series).

Mark

June 12th, 2017

We've purchased a lot of books through Amazon, many of them textbooks for college-aged students. Prices are generally the lowest available for the quality we seek. Prime shipping and free returns for textbook rentals are a plus. We've only had one problem with delivery, and I would have to give them a low score for customer service for that particular interaction, but customer service has generally been good.