Wells Fargo Logo

8.2

Wells Fargo, founded in 1852, offers a variety of services including personal checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investment services, and mortgage products.

With more than 7,200 branch locations and more than 13,000 ATMs, Wells Fargo has the largest physical bank presence in the nation, in addition to offices in 31 countries, and convenient online and mobile banking services.

Continue reading for a full review of this bank, and Wells Fargo reviews from real customers.

Chase Bank Logo
#2 Chase Bank chevron_right
4.1
Capital One Logo
#3 Capital One chevron_right
Bank of America Logo
#4 Bank of America chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Variety of Banking Services
  • Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees
  • Free Money Transfers
  • Large ATM Network
  • Online Banking and Mobile App
  • Customer Reviews

Variety of Banking Services

Wells Fargo offers a wide variety of personal banking products and other services:

• Checking account
  • Savings account
  • Certificate of deposit (CD)
  • Loan products (personal loan, mortgage, auto loan, student loan)
  • Credit card options

In addition, Wells Fargo provides small business products including checking and savings accounts, lines of credit, business loans, and credit cards.

Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees

Wells Fargo's Everyday Checking account is a popular choice for personal banking in the industry, and can be opened with a $25 deposit.
The account does include a $10 monthly service fee, but Wells Fargo provides customers with multiple options for avoiding the fee:

• Maintain a $500 minimum daily balance
  • $500 or more in direct deposits
  • A linked Wells Fargo campus ATM or Campus Debit Card
  • Primary account owner is 17–24 years old

Free Money Transfers

You can easily transfer money between your Wells Fargo accounts with no charge. You can even transfer money to accounts at other financial institutions for free.

Large ATM Network

Wells Fargo has upwards of 13,000 ATMs nationwide, making it much easier to withdraw or deposit cash from your accounts.

The bank also has more than 7,200 branch locations nationwide, allowing you to speak with a banker and manage your accounts as needed.

It is important to note that Wells Fargo does charge an out-of-network ATM fee of $2.50.

Online Banking and Mobile App

Wells Fargo offers convenient online banking mobile banking services. The bank also offers a service called the Smarter Credit Center. This center enables customers to do the following:

• Establish credit
  • Improve or rebuild credit
  • Manage debt
  • Explore options to meet borrowing needs

You can also transfer money between accounts online and in the mobile app.

Customer Reviews

Wells Fargo reviews are mixed. The majority of customers award the bank 4 or 5 stars, but approximately 35 percent of reviews are 3 star or below.

Positive reviews most often outline great customer service and convenient banking with the Wells Fargo mobile app. In addition, many customers mention that they have banked with the financial institution for years and have multiple accounts which they are happy with.

Negative reviews most frequently comment on frustration with high fees on simple banking services.

The Bad

• Low Savings Account APYs
  • High Minimum CD
  • Banking Fees

Low Savings Account APYs

The Wells Fargo Way2Savings Account offers a 0.01 percent APY, which is much lower than APYs offered by many other banks.

High Minimum CD

Wells Fargo also has a higher minimum CD of $2,500 compared to other banks. Customers must wait until their deposit matures unlike some banks who allow customers to withdraw their deposit early with no penalties.

Banking Fees

Wells Fargo has many banking fees for checking accounts which include:

• Opening account fee — $50 if you open on site. Over the phone or online it would be a $25 opening fee.
  • Maintenance fee — $10 per month unless you have a $500 total deposit or use your debit card for 10 transactions.
  • Overdraft and returned items fee — $35 for each overdraft fee.

A high number of fees is a common customer complaint in reviews.

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides a variety of banking products and services to help consumers manage their money, including the popular Wells Fargo Everyday checking account and Way2Savings account. These accounts have a number of fees, but you can easily avoid the checking account monthly service fee by meeting some specific criteria.

The bank is known for its customer service and offers 24/7 customer service. Wells Fargo has thousands of branch locations across the nation, making it easy to speak one-on-one with a banker if needed. In addition, you can easily manage your banking either online or through the Wells Fargo mobile app.

Customer reviews are mixed. While many customers praise the company's customer service, other customers express dissatisfaction with their Wells Fargo banking experience, most frequently mentioning being charged too many high fees.

View Best Banks

3.7

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Wells Fargo is a horrible bank!!!! They don't care about their customers at all!!!! They're extremely selfish and they enjoy screwing their customers as much as possible!!!!!

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

I haven't had any accounts with Wells Fargo, but have had to deal with them for work. They were always so difficult to work with - from general customer service all the way to their legal team. It took a long time to get anyone on the phone or to respond to emails or court orders. I've been in a couple of branches and the tellers were friendly and that's about it. I find it bizarre that this mentality crosses multiple departments and branches that I've had to deal with - it seems like a company wide theme.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I was originally with First Security bank and absolutely loved them. I had them for years. But about 20 years ago or so they were purchased by Wells Fargo. I stayed on for awhile, but noticed a huge change in the quality of my service. I ended up closing my account and going with a local bank. I do not like their customer service, and did not like their fees.

Carol Hancock

We opened a business account at Wells Fargo several years ago. We sold a piece of property and they would not let us deposit the check. They said the paperwork we used when we opened the account was no longer valid. They wanted us to open a new type of account. We went to a couple other branches and one of them allowed us to deposit our check. We will be closing the account and taking our business elsewhere.

Steve Pitman Largo, FL

Ive been with wells fargo for more then 10 years,and ive told myself for 10 years that im fed up with wells fargo,custome service is terrible,the bank has been linked to fraud and settled with their victims.The continue to mess up my account and force me to check my account and balance several times a day.Im looking for another bank now.

Juliann Mecham Managua, MN

When we traveled to Japan with exchanging money and such a weird transaction with us losing 700 dollars. It took over a year to figure it out and it was our word against the banks. Long process and they were not very willing to help.

Terri Los Angeles, CA

Where do I begin? How about 5 years of fighting them for screwing around with my business account, signing me up for services I never requested. How about the way they predate mortgages? How about how they treat the customer? I can do this all fucking day. And the only reason I stay with them is the atm convenience.

Luke Gibson Provo, UT

You don't have to search long at all to find numerous terrible reports of Wells Fargo's shady business practices regarding both its lowest-tier employees and its customers. It seems they are in the news frequently, and I will continue to boycott this bloated, unethical institution indefinitely. Some companies deserve to fail.

John Smith Provo, UT

I've never had a good experience with this bank. From opening the account, to extraneous fees, to exchanging currency, all the way to closing my account, there were always unexpected and seemingly baseless issues.

TINKERBELLE Yorktown, VA

I am charged service fees constantly! NOT ACCEPTABLE! However, the tellers in the banks in Yorktown, Va are very friendly.

Gertrude Murphy

They are are horrible l have had several problems with this bank . And when I closed my account l still had issues with them.

Brandon Santa Paula, CA

They are crooked to the core! I had them make themselves my beneficiary on my 401K when I was transferring it. Without my knowledge!!

Michael Eyring La Cañada Flintridge, CA

not helpful, not trustworthy. they would not even do a notary because my form did not meet their standards but it was from my daughters university

Chase H Provo, UT

High interest rates with a sketchy company history. The minimum for car loans is high, and even worse rates for personal loans. Also, fake bank accounts? C'mon guys.

K.L. Irvine, CA

Wells Fargo has bad service. It also has bad, negative interest rates and their debit card is useless

CAROLYN HAYES Canton, OH

they opened a n escrow account without permission or reason--It took me six months to have the problem fixed

Unsatisfied Orlando, FL

I've had my account for more than 20 years and keep a balance of over $2,000. They still charge for everything.

Leslie West Jordan, UT

I used to bank with Wells Fargo but found that their rates for loans were always higher than everybody else’s. I switched and am so glad I did!

Carolee AhPing Heber, UT

I have never had a good experience with Wells Fargo. I will never bank with them again. They also screwed my Dad & brother.

Tiffany Barney Salt Lake City, UT

Fees, fees, fees and more rip off fees. I won’t ever trust Wells Fargo with my money.

Elsie Krobot Houston, TX

Doesn't help me with my needs when I ask to have a family member added to my account

MINE Las Vegas, NV

They have declinewd three (3) recent purchases even tho' suffieient funds were in my account.

Jerold Murray Dallas, TX

They are more expensive and they nickel and dime you for everything.

A Woods Lincoln, NE

Numerous hidden fees, slow to respond to inquiries or actually resolve issues

Mike yerkes Kaysville, UT

Love to add in fees as mich as they can. They also have horibke customer service

Deborah Simmons Houston, TX

Not trustworthy. Us customer for own satisfaction.

TEDDY KONUGKIS Far Hills, NJ

Bad service, rules that make it difficult to bank

Kenneth Holley Virginia Beach, VA

They don't give you the personal touch and help