Wells Fargo Logo

8.2

LAST UPDATED: August 30th, 2021

Wells Fargo, founded in 1852, offers a variety of services including personal checking and savings accounts, credit cards, investment services, and mortgage products.

With more than 7,200 branch locations and more than 13,000 ATMs, Wells Fargo has the largest physical bank presence in the nation, in addition to offices in 31 countries, and convenient online and mobile banking services.

Continue reading for a full review of this bank, and Wells Fargo reviews from real customers.

Chase Bank Logo
#2 Chase Bank chevron_right
4.1
Capital One Logo
#3 Capital One chevron_right
Bank of America Logo
#4 Bank of America chevron_right
3.9

The Good

• Variety of Banking Services
  • Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees
  • Free Money Transfers
  • Large ATM Network
  • Online Banking and Mobile App
  • Customer Reviews

Variety of Banking Services

Wells Fargo offers a wide variety of personal banking products and other services:

• Checking account
  • Savings account
  • Certificate of deposit (CD)
  • Loan products (personal loan, mortgage, auto loan, student loan)
  • Credit card options

In addition, Wells Fargo provides small business products including checking and savings accounts, lines of credit, business loans, and credit cards.

Easily Avoid Checking Account Fees

Wells Fargo's Everyday Checking account is a popular choice for personal banking in the industry, and can be opened with a $25 deposit.
The account does include a $10 monthly service fee, but Wells Fargo provides customers with multiple options for avoiding the fee:

• Maintain a $500 minimum daily balance
  • $500 or more in direct deposits
  • A linked Wells Fargo campus ATM or Campus Debit Card
  • Primary account owner is 17–24 years old

Free Money Transfers

You can easily transfer money between your Wells Fargo accounts with no charge. You can even transfer money to accounts at other financial institutions for free.

Large ATM Network

Wells Fargo has upwards of 13,000 ATMs nationwide, making it much easier to withdraw or deposit cash from your accounts.

The bank also has more than 7,200 branch locations nationwide, allowing you to speak with a banker and manage your accounts as needed.

It is important to note that Wells Fargo does charge an out-of-network ATM fee of $2.50.

Online Banking and Mobile App

Wells Fargo offers convenient online banking mobile banking services. The bank also offers a service called the Smarter Credit Center. This center enables customers to do the following:

• Establish credit
  • Improve or rebuild credit
  • Manage debt
  • Explore options to meet borrowing needs

You can also transfer money between accounts online and in the mobile app.

Customer Reviews

Wells Fargo reviews are mixed. The majority of customers award the bank 4 or 5 stars, but approximately 35 percent of reviews are 3 star or below.

Positive reviews most often outline great customer service and convenient banking with the Wells Fargo mobile app. In addition, many customers mention that they have banked with the financial institution for years and have multiple accounts which they are happy with.

Negative reviews most frequently comment on frustration with high fees on simple banking services.

The Bad

• Low Savings Account APYs
  • High Minimum CD
  • Banking Fees

Low Savings Account APYs

The Wells Fargo Way2Savings Account offers a 0.01 percent APY, which is much lower than APYs offered by many other banks.

High Minimum CD

Wells Fargo also has a higher minimum CD of $2,500 compared to other banks. Customers must wait until their deposit matures unlike some banks who allow customers to withdraw their deposit early with no penalties.

Banking Fees

Wells Fargo has many banking fees for checking accounts which include:

• Opening account fee — $50 if you open on site. Over the phone or online it would be a $25 opening fee.
  • Maintenance fee — $10 per month unless you have a $500 total deposit or use your debit card for 10 transactions.
  • Overdraft and returned items fee — $35 for each overdraft fee.

A high number of fees is a common customer complaint in reviews.

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo provides a variety of banking products and services to help consumers manage their money, including the popular Wells Fargo Everyday checking account and Way2Savings account. These accounts have a number of fees, but you can easily avoid the checking account monthly service fee by meeting some specific criteria.

The bank is known for its customer service and offers 24/7 customer service. Wells Fargo has thousands of branch locations across the nation, making it easy to speak one-on-one with a banker if needed. In addition, you can easily manage your banking either online or through the Wells Fargo mobile app.

Customer reviews are mixed. While many customers praise the company's customer service, other customers express dissatisfaction with their Wells Fargo banking experience, most frequently mentioning being charged too many high fees.

View Best Banks

3.7

Ajanaee x San Antonio, TX

Everytime I go inside of a branch I am given top tier service. The employees are trained very well and are able to assist me with all my accounts

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have had nothing bit good experiences with Wells Fargo. The advisors always have excellent advice and the staff is always very kind and helpful. I love banking at Wells Fargo!

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

I've banked with Wells Fargo over 20 years. I really like that they have branches all over the US. I like to travel and I can usually find a branch wherever I go. I maintain their balance requirements to have free checking. I have enough money in my account to even get free checks. They don't pay very much interest on my savings so I don't recommend them for savings. I have a small savings account with them and several checking accounts. I like that they give college students free checking and savings accounts. My children have accounts linked to mine so it makes it easy to transfer money to them. Of course nowadays they've made it even easier with Zelle. I can transfer money to anyone with their phone or email.

Jessica Lopez , FL

Their atms seem to go down often. They need to replace them but other than that a pretty good bank. I started with them in high school when it was owned by Wachovia then Wells Fargo bought them out and it's been owned by them ever since. No annual fee if you have direct deposits over a certain amount.

Whitney Stanko Smithfield, UT

My parents have banked for Wellsfargo there whole lives and then when I finally needed my own account I went to Wellsfargo and they helped me get all set up! Then when I need to pull off from under one of my parents and just have my name on my account they were super easy to go about it and help me do it on my own. Whenever I need help with something or have questions setting up accounts they are so easy to work with! I love banking with them!

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

I know Wells Fargo has been in the middle of a scandal, but honestly they have always treated me so well. They always give my daughter suckers and for Christmas they gave her a cute little black horse with a Wells Fargo cape on it. Their banking services have always been easy. Mobile check deposits was life changing. Wiring money has always been easy, especially transferring to another Wells Fargo customer. I just have never had a complaint about their services.

William Carver Provo, UT

I have been a customer at Wells Fargo for almost 5 years now and have had an incredible experience with them. They have been a great bank to work with and have been extremely helpful with everything I ask for. As a college student they have been helpful with saving me the most money possible and earning the most rewards possible. Every time I have met with a banker they are always very personable and helpful. I would suggest this bank to anyone.

Steve Pitman Largo, FL

Ive been with wells fargo for more then 10 years,and ive told myself for 10 years that im fed up with wells fargo,custome service is terrible,the bank has been linked to fraud and settled with their victims.The continue to mess up my account and force me to check my account and balance several times a day.Im looking for another bank now.

Andrea Diaz-Cepeda Tallahassee, FL

I've had an account with Wells Fargo for about 8 years now and it has been excellent! The one feature I enjoy the most is the Card-Free Access. This allows me to withdraw money from the ATM without my card. This is helpful when I forget my debit card at home.

Lethia Johnson Tallahassee, FL

I used Wells Fargo when I was a student at the University of Florida, and it was super useful to have as a student because of all the access to ATM's around. I also traveled to Hawaii, where they did not have any affiliated ATM's, so they reimbursed be for all my ATM fees!

Summer Porter Managua, MN

I have used Wells Fargo for years now and am content with their service. A few months ago, my father passed away and my family needed to transfer his accounts in order to make it more logistical. My mother and I showed up for the appointment and the teller immediately remembered our family situation and was very sensitive in assisting our needs. Their website and mobile app is easy to navigate.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Excellent service on my auto loan. They handled it professionally and never missed a thing. Was so impressed that I changed all of my banking over to Wells Fargo. Full service, and great rates overall. Loved my experience with Well fargo and intend on staying with them long-term!

Raúl Galeano Elkridge, MD

For a few years I'm a client, I started when I was Wachovia, I still operate, but for me the way2save isn t very functional. I'm in the process of analyzing that bank I move because the bank is too static, it offers no new product or growth options. Thank you for now.

Mikael Sterg Union, NJ

Lisa Lisa is very helpful she always spends a lot of time with me give me so much information on my business account and how I can gain interest in actually save on fees she has a very nice personality they actually approve me for a really nice credit card as well

Kim Tempe, AZ

I have been a member with Wells Fargo since 2008. I have not had any issues at all but worry when I hear of all the negative things going on. Thus far, the branches that I walk into are always ready to assist and very helpful. Anytime I have had to call customer service, there has been no issues. Overall satisfied, just a little leery of my protection as a customer.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Wells Fargo is the best bank in all the land. They have everything I need in a bank and treat me right. Their loans have good interest rates. They have good customer service and treat me like a friend. They have convenient locations and I like their online abilities and easy processes with everything.

Anna Hu Provo, UT

Been banking with Wells Fargo for almost 10 years now, and have had nothing but positive experiences. Love that I can do almost banking function from my phone, including depositing checks, transferring money, paying off bills, and more. Every time I have been into a physical location, I have been met with much professionalism. They have been so easy and helpful as I have added credit cards with them, and opened up new accounts.

Boston Whipple Provo, UT

The Wells Fargo online banking has gone down on several occasions and I have been forced to use the mobile app. Other than that, my experience with Wells Fargo has been really good. They have been very helpful when I have called them to cancel debit cards and request new ones and their service has been professional and helpful when I have gone into the bank for other account services.

Amanda Sherwood, OR

I Love this company! I have been banking with Wellsfargo for over 7 years and never had issues. They even refunded me some fees a couple times. I never pay any fees on my accounts generally (happened on accident when I forgot to transfer money to my checking account before a check came through and they refunded it). Their Credit card has a pretty good reward program (1.5% or 1% back on most purchase that you can get cash to your account for or buy gift cards etc.) I love their app, super easy to use! Also love the new Zells program to transfer money to people with just their phone number!

NM Alto, NM

I've been a long time customer of Wells Fargo, but feel their service continues to slip. I recently needed assistance from my local branch, but they told me the branch manager was too busy to call me back that week. I understand they have higher priorities, but if one of my 20+ year customers needed some documentation I would atleast call them back. Disappointing because I've done a lot of business with Wells Fargo over the years.

Myken Salt Lake City, UT

I started banking with Wells Fargo as a teenager and have had a checking and savings account with them for many years. The staff are always friendly and helpful and I don’t pay fees for basic checking.

Sarah Mercival Tallahassee, FL

Having my first job I opened up a checking account with this bank. They have the best student checking account and even give you a bonus for joining. 3 yers later and I still love them

Ioana Asiata Herriman, UT

Whenever I deposit money at Wells Fargo for my parents the staff are always friendly. Because I don't have an account there, they're always trying to hint for me to open an account there but in the most friendly and noninvasive way which is nice because sometimes it can be a little overwhelming when other companies try to sell their services.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

Occasionally I have had to cash a check in a Wells Fargo bank. The branch has always been clean and the tellers have always been courteous. I appreciate that the lines are typically short and that the transactions have been handled quickly. The fees that they charge for cashing a check are not outrageous, which is appreciated.

Mikayla Ralston Navarre, FL

I've used Wells Fargo for loans before. They were very helpful, gave me a descent rate, and have services that make it very easy to make payments. I would gladly use Wells Fargo again.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

My wife and I used Wells Fargo for a home business account but moved on after they charged fees for everything single service they offered. They had decent service but they expected to be paid by you for using your money. Glad I left before they got into so much trouble with the Fed for opening up fraudulent bank accounts in customer's names in order to boost their quotas. Very dishonest!

Michael Miller

Although they were involved in a high level of fraudulent activity, I myself have been with this bank for 6 years without incident. I've received superb customer services, better than at any other bank I've been with. I would give them 5 stars if it were not for the scandal.

Linda

I have used Wells Fargo since my local bank changed to Wells Fargo. The bank is located in my neighborhood and is staffed with friendly people who make me feel like they are indeed happy to see me when I come into the bank.

michael Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

courtesy, competence and caring. their tellers are always friendly and seem to remember everybody's name, and their officers are knowledgeable and not afraid to roll up their sleeves.

James Voyles Boise, ID

Ease of on-line account management, seamless connection between Wells Fargo Bank and Wells Fargo Advisors. Up to date applications, both mobile and web based, to make our financial management about as easy as it can be.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

As far as banking goes, they have been fine. But little details like changing my name when I got married took a year and a half of phone calls, mail, and going into local branches it get it all fixed. It is a small thing but it put me off. How hard could that be?

Abbey Richards American Fork, UT

I wasn't a huge fan of working with the customer service reps in the store, but Wells Fargo banking app is awesome. It makes my banking experience so much better. The app is really well built, and I use it all the time. I do enjoy banking with Wells Fargo.

Sandra Dubas Salt Lake City, UT

I have been using Wells Fargo for a long time and I have really enjoyed their customer service at the branch I go to. However, they do have account fees and overdraft fees. But beside the fess I have no other complains about them.

Breanna Jones Herriman, UT

I have been a customer for 10+ years. I don't have to pay any fees to have a checking and savings account open. I have had to call customer service a couple of times and I actually feel appreciated as a customer. I have had a couple late payment fees waived and that makes a difference to me. Locations are everywhere which is so convenient.

Maile Curtis Salt Lake City, UT

We have been with Wells Fargo for a couple of years now. We have never had a problem with them. Their customer service is great and people who work at the bank are super nice. The only thing that I do not like about Wells Fargo is the fees they charge for having an account with them.

Jessica C. Apex, NC

Things I like - they keep my money safe. Their website is easy to use and I like the drive-thru. One thing I don't like - you get slammed with an overdraft fee if you run out of funds in your checking, even if you have plenty in your savings (this wasn't an issue at the credit union I was at before). I think they may have waived it when we called, but I can't remember for sure. We've had a few more issues like not coming home with the correct amount from a cashed check (my husband now checked every time), and a friend's check bouncing and we had to pay a fee for it, but I don't need to go more into it all I suppose, and we're still with them for now, but I don't think they're spectacular. I liked the credit union we were at before, but it's only in another state, so Wells Fargo it is.

Christopher Haueter Salt Lake City, UT

I really like Wells Fargo. They are very friendly every time I go in and they do their best to help me when I need it. There isn't really any bad accept for banking fees, but there are ways to avoid them which is nice and they have other options for students.

Laurel Van Wagenen Salt Lake City, UT

I have used Wells Fargo since I was so young and I literally do not know any other bank. They have helped me a couple of times that my card has gotten stolen or someone has tried to use my account information. The bankers are always so helpful and their service team is great.

Austin Stelmach Boulder, CO

I have used Wells Fargo for as long as I have had a bank account. Their online app makes it very easy to check accounts and make deposits on-the-go which is very useful!

ltrain8796 Orem, UT

We had a ID fraud done to our credit card through Wells Fargo. They helped take care of us. They froze the card issued another and made sure our money was safe. We are very happy with our experience with them.

Michael Taylor Long Beach, MS

until recently i had no issues with this company but recent changes in the way they handle retirement accounts has made it extremely difficult to do business and when you call have to work thru several people before i get to someone that knows what they are doing.

Adriana Diaz American Fork, UT

Wells Fargo is the only bank that we use because it is the only one we trust , we love that we can access it straight from our phones and check our accounts.

Melissa Carreno Mesa, AZ

I haven't been impressed with Wells Fargo banking or how difficult it is now to accomplish any transactions in the bank, over the phone, or online. Hopefully i don't regret banking with them. Luckily this is my secondary account.

Ernesto Lozano Phoenix, AZ

easy and fast every time I go to do business at my branch. And when I need personal help it's always fast and convenient and they take care of my problem usually on the first visit

Jacinda E Sandy, UT

I was added to my husbands Wells Fargo bank account when we got married and I have not been too impressed. We are not world travelers and stick in the same area most of the time. A lot of their features seem like they would be great for big companies or people that travel a lot. Not so great for your everyday average Joe.

Kimberly Bronson Idaho Falls, ID

Have been very disappointed with their hidden fees I find on my statements recently. Been with them for 13 years and suddenly fee’s start popping up that never exited before. They apologize and say they will fix it every time I go in but really....after 4 years of monthly calls. I am switching banks.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I was with Wells Fargo for over 10 years before switching. I was entirely underwhelmed by my experience. Just about the only redeeming quality was good in person customer service. Over the phone customer service was awful. The fees associated with my account were also outrageous. I left after having many issues myself, and then finding out about the employees creating fake accounts. I would NOT recommend Wells Fargo.

Tara Beckert Saratoga Springs, UT

Wells Fargo involved way too many fees for my liking. The staff I interacted with were always professional and helpful but they tried to sell me on their services every time I went in. Overall helpful staff, but too many hidden fees for me to stick with them.

L. South Jordan, UT

We have banked with Wells Fargo for about 20 years. We have been pleased with our experience. We have had savings and checking accounts, loans, and credit card accounts. Our experience has always been positive.

Derek Heiner Centerville, UT

I've had an account with Wells Fargo for a long time and I've liked their friendly staff and how easy it is to use their services. I feel like their rewards program isn't helping me very much, or at least as much as they claim they will.