Capital One Logo

4.9

LAST UPDATED: September 27th, 2022

A Fortune 500 company, Capital One is a bank with most of its branches in the District of Columbia, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, New York, New Jersey and Virginia. Since 1988, Capital One offers financial products to its customers to meet their personal, small business and commercial needs. The Virginia-based bank’s services include credit cards, home loans and savings accounts. Capital One has made a commitment to enhance the well-being of individuals and families in their local communities. Its consistent growth may be attributed to the fact that it has had the same CEO at its helm, Richard Fairbank, an American businessman who founded Capital One.

Chase Bank Logo
#1 Chase Bank chevron_right
4.1
American Express Logo
#2 American Express chevron_right
USAA Logo
#3 USAA chevron_right

The Good

• Locations
  • Great services
  • Loan options

Locations

Capital One Bank has 1,000 locations, more than 12,500 ATMs, online (wellsfargo.com), and mobile devices. Wells Fargo is across the nation and consumers can go online to find the nearest location or ATM in seconds. If there are other questions one can contact customer service anytime, 7 days a week. As one of the nation's top 10 largest banks based on deposits, Capital One's total assets are $298.3 billion. Founded in 1988 they have provided services for 27 years to meet customer needs with:
  • banking for checking, saving, CDs, kids savings
  • loans for mortgages, home equity, automobiles
  • investments is used through ShareBuilder which is an online brokerage built for user-friendly investing. type of investments include:
    • 1) Individual, 2) Joint, 3) Custodial, 4) Traditional IRA, 5) Roth IRA, and 6) Education savings account
  • consumer and commercial finance services
They are a eastern U.S. bank with 1,000 branches.

Great Services

Capital One has a spread of services to meet financial needs such as:
  • Personal checking accounts
  • Business checking
  • Savings accounts
  • CDs
  • Debit cards
  • Credit cards
This company also offers a savings and checking account with:
  • no fees or service charges
  • There is no minimum balance required to open a 360 savings
  • The interest on account is accrued daily, compounded monthly and credited to your available balance at the end of each month
  • For a checking account, everything is done online and requires no paper
  • The overdraft fee for checking is $0.03 daily
  • have a way to pay without writing a check or consumer may order a checkbook free the first time then 50 checks for $5

Loan Options

Customers in search of needed funds will also have access to student loans and auto loans. Through Capital One, customers will also have access to online banking, both types of IRAs and protection from fraud and identity theft. For parents planning for the higher education of their children, Capital One has a college savings plans for families to choose from:
  • 529 plans
  • Coverdell Education Savings Accounts

Community Investment

If potential customers are worried about Capital One's ability to grow and invest in the community, the numbers say otherwise. Here are the different areas that have been affected by Capital One's community investment commitment and their values:
  • Home mortgages and home equity lending, $28.5 billion
  • Small business and small farm lending, $22.5 billion
  • Affordable housing development and commercial revitalization, $25 billion
  • Consumer lending, $104 billion
  • Grants to support critical community services, $450 million

The Bad

• Online bank
  • Higher risks

Online Bank

Capital One is mostly on online bank. For those that like to physically go to an office there are only 1,000 branches in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Louisiana, Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia. This bank is great for residents in those states however for the other 43 states there is no accessibility to branches or ATM's.

Higher Risk

There is a greater risk with using the world wide web to make all banking transactions but this company has had a couple reviews for contacting consumers immediately if fraud is suspected. But there are not as many locations where you can talk to a capital one representative in person. The only way to get human interaction would be through mobile or computer devices with Skype or FaceTime.

The Bottom Line

Capital one is located on the eastern side of the U.S. and have 1,000 branches available. They offer banking for personal, small businesses, and commercial industries. Their focus on creating online banking allows them to decrease fees for checking and saving accounts and eliminating paper for the most part. Great to use if savvy with mobile devices and computers and don't need interaction with capital one employee's. Customers who choose Capital One will have the confidence that they have chosen the financial services of a Fortune 500 company. The Virginia-based company has a wide range of services including personal checking accounts, savings accounts, credit cards and debit cards. Our recommendation: Although it's a relatively new bank, Capital One deserves your consideration when picking a financial organization to bank with.

Robert Mott Bellevue, MI

I love Capital Ones website. I also like the Capital One shopping app that saves me money.

1 day ago

Stephen Veal Houston, TX

Capital One is the best bank in the USA. The following is just a few of the things Capital One does that sets them apart from other banks in the USA: 1. You can withdraw money from their ATM's in $10 increments. 2. I'm not perfect and I have been late many times with my credit card payment and they have reversed the late fee EVERY SINGLE TIME over a 3 year period. Of course, this is just my experience and it may be different for others, but in comparison to some banks, like Barclays, for example, who ALWAYS refuses to reverse any late no matter what , Capital One actually cares about their customers. 3. Capital One credit card customer service is 24/7 live chat and is always accessible. What's in your wallet?

Chad Edgar Wentzville, MO

I love Capital One my credit card I got from them saved save my hiney quite a few times I'm so thankful to have this wonderful easy cheap payments to pay it back it is a good card to have for an emergency

Lethia Johnson Tallahassee, FL

My husband and I recently got married, and we use one of Capital One's Money Marketing account. It has been great to keep our saving in, because getting 1.7% back on your money may not seem like a lot, but it really in! We made over $400 last year, just from the interest! You will enjoy the easiness of using Capital One for banking and their credit cards.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I use Capital One for my credit cards and they have been great. They have the best rewards programs in the industry and great rates. Capital One also has banking capabilities that offer me everything I need in a bank. I like their accounts that pay a little more interest than other banks on deposits. I have used them for their auto loans and they are easy to use and easy to refinance if needed. They have so many options, I can find one that is right for me.

Sathvik Aithala Portland, OR

Great bank, the online portal is very easy to use.

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

I use Capital One's money market account and it is a great place to park your savings for easy access and a decent interest rate on your emergency funds. much better than getting .1% at my local bank. Great customer service when i have questions

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Capital One banking is top notch. They offer great rates with sensible options to manage direct deposits, transfers, and all other banking needs. Low fees make it attractive and economical to use. I appreciate the number of branches everywhere, makes getting ATM withdrawals hassle free.

Miguel Figueroa Provo, UT

They may not always have the highest limits bu they have some of the best cards by my book. They’re still a bank trying to make money, and that’s probably not gonna change anytime soon, but they are the most upfront honest bank I’ve ever dealt with.

Pete Centerville, UT

I've had a capital one card for about a year now and I absolutely love it. The app that works with the card is amazing, after I use the card it alerts me immediately so i know exactly how much i spend. It's very easy to keep track of purchases and making payments. I've never had a problem with this card.

Yisha Gu Downers Grove, IL

We had Capital One online bank account for years. Its checking and savings accounts earn solid rates and don’t charge monthly fees. Excellent savings and short-term CD options.

Tiffany Phoenix, AZ

We have a Capital One venture card and love it! Their trip eraser is easy to use and I love that we can use it for more than just airfare. The App is awesome and easy to use. We have had a great experience with Capital One!

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

I like the checking and no fees part! The savings program is also great. The app is fast and website too. C1 is Great!

Hownowbrowncow Hattiesburg, MS

There are many different Card colors/patterns and the online app is really easy to use while keeping you informed about everything you need to know all on one screen.

Nicole Sohm Tremonton, UT

I have the Chase Capital one credit card! We had thousands of dollars stollen from us and chase take care of us so quickly and refunded us all the money!

Lisa Hrycyk Cape Coral, FL

Excellent. Their website & app is really easy to use. They gave me a chance to increase my credit score by giving me a credit card when my credit score was low.

Alex Murphy Reno, NV

I have the Venture One credit card and I love it. The app is really easy to use and the way that the travel miles are applied to your statement is really easy.

Sarah Fairfax, VA

I've banked with them for years and think they have amazing customer service and really appreciate their products. Highly recommend them and they often have good introduction incentives.

Trevene ,

I have been with this company since 2012 and I love them. They are willing to work with the customer and customer service is great.

Lori Fletcher Saratoga Springs, UT

Love their mobile app! It's so user friendly showing all the information you'd need in a small amount of space without looking cluttered.

Karen Young Louisville, KY

I have been with the company since 1998. They have been on top of any issue I have encountered and have resolved the issue or issues very quickly.

A Craw Draper, UT

Customer service helped me apply for a credit card and I love my Capital One credit card! Great perks and customer service.

Gary Mayer South Jordan, UT

have their credit card and am very happy with their service. I have not had this card long, but so far their customer service is first class.

Jay Clemmons Cottontown, TN

Great Company. Stands by you and will be a partner in building credit for a lifetime. Great customer service.

Michael Taylor Long Beach, MS

Good and friendly customer service. Easy to do business with. Have been a customer for several years.

Nathan Layton, UT

I opened up a rewards card with them and I tend to always use this card whenever we go somewhere. They are great with customer service as well.

Bruce Knipe

Highest cash back rewards without type of outlet or product limitations. Great website and alerts.

CAROLE SCOVILLE Pleasant Grove, UT

Absolute best cashback program for business card users - can't beat a straight up 2% cash back on everything!

Courtney Mcmillan Canton, OH

Upfront on all charges, great customer service

Daniel

Very good bank provides me with the information I need

Mark Lawrence

In every aspect, they exhibit professionalism and courtesy

Sadie Scoville Pleasant Grove, UT

My mom uses capital one and she really likes all the cash back that she gets.

Jeri Basko Lebanon, ME

They are a good online bank and responsive when I have had questions.

Michael Ogden, UT

I love this card for the fact that I can get 2% cash back.