Farmers helps their policyholders meet their minimum legal requirements for automobile insurance in their state of residence. The company has special coverage for classic cars as well as for those who use their vehicle for rideshare companies, such as Uber, to eliminate the gaps created by this service and other companies’ insurance policies.
- Property damage – Yes
- Bodily injury liability – Yes
- Uninsured motorist – Yes
- Personal injury – Yes
- Collision – Yes
- Comprehensive – Yes
- Medical payments – Yes
- Rental – Yes
- Emergency road service – Yes
- Classic car coverage – Yes
- Rideshare coverage – Yes
In order to uniformly compare rates from various companies, the Review Team obtained a sample quote from Farmers for a 27-year-old driving a 2011 Toyota Camry. Farmers rates are not the least expensive, nor are they the most expensive. For a 6-month term, the quote obtained from Farmers was $856, with the pay in full discount applied.
Like most auto insurance companies, Farmers offers various discounts to their customers. Some of these include:
- Safe driver
- Accident forgiveness
- Good student
- Student living away from home (over 100 miles)
- Pay in full
- Good Payer Discount (current Farmers’ policyholders earn a discount after paying their bills for a full year)
- New Customer (customers can earn a discount when switching to Farmers if they have not let their previous insurance coverage lapse)
- Business/Professional Group (Doctors, Nurses, Engineers, Educators, Accountants and other professionals can get a discounted rate with Farmers)
Farmers allows their policyholders and those whose property was damaged by a Farmers policyholder to file a claim online as well as via a toll-free number. Customers can find assistance in filing a claim with a live chat option online. Claim status can be tracked online as well.
Farmers has been providing automobile insurance policies since their founding in 1928. They have a solid record in the industry, which can only be earned by maintaining quality customer service and consistently meeting industry standards.
Better Business Bureau (BBB) Rating
A guide which many people use to gauge the quality of a company’s customer service and product is their rating by the Better Business Bureau. Farmers has been rated with an A+ at the writing of this review. The company is not currently accredited, which is optional in every industry.
Customers have complained about Farmers’ mobile app. This app is fairly basic and could benefit from more features – specifically relating to claims. While there is nothing specifically wrong with the app in its functioning, its available features are limited.
It is notable that in spite of the rating with the Better Business Bureau, that there are a large number of customers who complain about their experience with Farmers on other sites. For example, on ConsumerAffairs.com, the number of complaints about Farmers is rather extensive. Common complaints involve the quality of customer service and claims being denied or being processed slowly.
Farmers is available in most states in the US, except for: Florida, Alaska, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and Delaware.
Auto Coverage Policies
Farmers offers consumers the following types of coverage, which may be combined to build a policy that meets unique needs. The following is a list of what this company offers consumers:
- Liability Coverage, which includes both Bodily Injury (BI) as well as Property Damage (PD). These cover the other driver or pedestrian in an at-fault accident providing payment for medical expenses, personal injury and any damage to another individual’s property.
- Collision Coverage protects the policy holder’s vehicle should they collide with another vehicle or any structure.
- Comprehensive Coverage will protect the policy holder’s vehicle in cases of natural disasters, vandalism, theft, and collision with animals. For those where animals are abundant on highways, this would be wise to consider adding to the policy.
- Un/Underinsured Motorist Coverage provides BI and PD coverage for the policy holder should another driver be at-fault and uninsured or underinsured.
- Medical Payments covers the policy holder or anyone in the vehicle hurt during an accident, providing payment toward medical expenses, which can rack up quickly if anyone is injured.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is similar to Medical Payments, however, payments are extended to rehabilitation, work loss, funeral costs and replacement services.
- Basic Reparation Benefits provides no-fault protection for BI to each person injured in the accident, such as medical, hospital, loss of income, essential services, accidental death and funeral services.
- Income Disability Coverage provides the policy holder with up to 70% of the insured person’s loss of income when interrupted or terminated due to illness or accident.
- Rental Reimbursement is for losses covered by either Comprehensive or Collision Coverage, in which this coverage will repay the daily rental charged up to the purchased limit option for 30 days. Another form is Transportation Expenses which will reimburse for other forms of temporary transportation when the vehicle is covered with Liability and Physical Damage.
- Property Protection covers expenses for another person’s stationary property (i.e. fences, buildings, etc.)
- Extended Medical Payment covers injuries for the policy holder and anyone else injured as the result of occupying a non-owned vehicle.
- Income Continuation covers lost wages should the policy holder be unable to work due to an accident related injury.
- Lawsuit Option provides the policy holder with the right to sue the individual causing the accident for pain and suffering due to any injury incurred.
- Towing reimburses for the cost of towing the policy holder’s vehicle, however, this is only available to those with Collision Coverage.
There are several additional add-on options such as an extra PIP package, PIP work loss waived, Supplementary Un/Underinsured Motorist BI, BI Supplemental Spousal Liability, Tort, Accidental Death Benefits, Un/Underinsured Single Limit Stacking, PIP Medical 2nd to Other Medical Insurance and Other Work Loss Coverage, Funeral Expense Benefit, as well as several other add-on options.
The standard coverage limit offered by this company is Bodily Injury $25,000/$65,000 with $15,000 Property Damage Liability and $3,000 Person Injury Protection. It’s important to remember that each state varies on minimum standard coverage so this may not be enough protection for the policy holder.
Farmer’s insurance services all 50 states.
When switching to Farmers from another carrier, a discount will automatically be applied if there is no lapse in coverage with the prior carrier. One unique aspect is that should consumers decide to purchase a new vehicle, they can get an insurance policy right online, making this a convenient option.
Other discounts come by way of bundling Auto and Home, Auto and Life, Early Shopping, or being from a business or professional group. For those specifically seeking auto discounts, there are several discounts to choose from.
- Multi car
- Teen Driver
- Distant Student
- Alternative Fuel
- Electronic Funds Transfer
- Payments in full
- Good Students
We requested an estimate for a driver 27 years of age, financing a 2011 Toyota Camery, as it’s the best-selling car according to Time.com, and discovered that the monthly premiums would amount roughly to $164.62. Again, prices vary with each state and with each driver and their vehicle type.
It’s easy to manage your account and pay your insurance bills online or via their mobile app. Customers also have the ability to report a claim online and view claim status online. Farmer’s provide an entire section dedicated to helping you with your claims. Some of these features include:
- Auto Repairs
- Rental Car help
- Total loss vehicles
- Find your claim representative
- Car accident checklist
- Farmers offers free mobile apps for both Android and Apple devices, called iFarmers. The Apple app is fairly well reviewed (4+ overall) but the Android app appears to have some unresolved issues with payments (3.4 overall). The apps allow you to:
- App features for existing Farmers customers: (Upon Secure Login)
- View and Manage Your Policies – View your policy details for all your Auto, Home, Life, and Umbrella policies.
- View and Pay Your Bills – The iFarmers App allows you to securely view your bills or make payments on the go for your personal Auto and Home insurance policies.
- Contact Your Agent – Easily get in touch with your insurance agent to buy new policies, add insurance coverage, refer friends, and more!
- Access Farmers iClaim App – The iFarmers App seamlessly launches the Farmers iClaim App to provide you easy access to all your claims information.
- App features for everyone:
- Get a Quote – Get a customized insurance quote from Farmers using your iPhone.
- Contact an Agent – The Contact Agent feature allows you to search for any Farmers agent close to you or in any other state Farmers does business. Get in touch with a Farmers agent to have them review your insurance needs or refer family or a friend.
- Tips and Utilities – iFarmers provides you with a wealth of information on safety and insurance under the “Things I Care About” and “How To” tabs. The “Services Nearby” feature provides information on local services quickly and conveniently. Farmers’ videos illustrate why we are a leader among premier insurance carriers.
- Farmers Inner Circle is their online advice center with tips and advice for all types of insurance.
- Presence on social media: Twitter, Facebook, Google+
- App features for existing Farmers customers: (Upon Secure Login)
File / Track Claims Online
Yes, claims can be filed directly with an agent, over the phone, online or through the mobile phone app.
Time in Business
Founded in 1928, Farmers has been in business for 86 years.
Farmers has a B rating with the BBB.
Support Contact Form: https://www.farmers.com/contact-us/send-message/
HQ address: 4680 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90010
Phone Support (hours):
Monday through Friday 7:00am – 11:00pm CT,
Weekends 9:30am – 6:00pm CT
In Person: http://www.farmersagent.com/?_ga=1.29480255.1495604528.1432829047