Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate Auto Insurance

Allstate is the second largest provider of personal insurance and the largest publicly-held insurance company in the United States. The company offers many other types of insurance, including homeowners, life and fire insurance, and has expanded into Canada. However, Allstate does not seem to be the fastest or most efficient company when it comes to handling claims.

The Good

• Coverage features
  • Service coverage
  • Discounts
  • File/track claims

Coverage Features

• Rental reimbursement
  • Audio/Video equipment
  • Towing and labor

Service Coverage

Allstate services all 50 states and each state has agents to help customers to better understand their state's insurance requirements. Allstate allows you to check auto insurance requirements for each state. Agents help create personalized plans to satisfy your needs

Allstate has a truly impressive variety of insurance coverage types for just about any area you can imagine, so it can be a one-stop shop for all of your insurance needs. Rates are not the lowest in the industry, and in some cases are a bit higher than the competition, but overall they are not bad. In fact, for such a massive company with so many options, the rates are reasonable.

Discounts

• Safe drivers
  • TeenSMART
  • Defensive driver

File/Track Claims

Allstate offers a free app for iPhones and Android phones that is fairly well reviewed. The current version has a higher rating than previous versions, as Allstate has added features, improved the interface and corrected some minor bugs. The app offers a good range of features, giving users access to all of their accounts, allowing them to make payments, file and track claims, manage policies and access roadside assistance.

In fact, filing and tracking claims couldn't be easier. Customers can do it through an agent directly, over the phone, online through the Allstate website or through the mobile phone app. The process is fairly simple, and the claim can be tracked every step of the way.

The Bad

• Poor claim payout
  • Steep rates

Poor Claim Payout

The American Association for Justice ranked Allstate as among the worst insurance companies on the market in 2008 because of what they called a "boxing gloves" approach to paying out claims. Allstate says they have vastly improved their approach since then, but complaints continue to mount.

Steep Rates

Allstate does not have the most affordable rates on the market. In some cases, their rates are a little higher than the competition, so this might not be the best choice for someone who is just looking for the cheapest premium.

The Bottom Line

Despite some complaints about claims processing, Allstate is a massive company that offers an impressive array of insurance coverage types. Rates are not bad, if not the lowest in the industry, but the convenience of getting all of your insurance needs met in one place might make it worth paying just a little bit more.

They lack one or two common discount options, but the ones they do offer are pretty good. The safe driving bonus check is particularly appealing. Overall, Allstate comes highly recommended for their long, stable history and variety of coverage option.

5 Allstate Auto Insurance Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Allstate was good while we were using it, but we found a cheaper insurance. We liked their customer service and the coverage packages they offered, however their prices are a little high.

May 28th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

While the price may not be the cheapest, the many discounts help to offset that. And that's appreciated.

August 25th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

It's just a great service all together. Easy system to navigate. Moving, changing coverage, adding vehicles, paying bills, talk to someone not a machine. When you knock, there's always someone willing to help. And I think that is piece of mind that every customer paying for insurance should get for they money. A+

August 28th, 2015 Folsom, CA

Allstate - I had to file a claim as someone hit my parked car. Allstate approved the claim and sent me to their preferred repair shop. The repairs were great.... However, after telling me they issued payment to my account electronically the money never showed up. My car was repaired and If I wanted it is have to pay out of my own pocket. I paid thousands of dollars to the shop and Allstate didn't care! I spent a total of 6 hours on the phone with claims and made at least 20 phone calls to their office and my agent. No one was any help and I had to explain every time I called. I was hung up on and treated like I was trying to cheat them out of money. They acknowledged that they could see the money was never sent to my account but since they did not know where they had sent it then I had to wait till they resolved. I have had Allstate for years and never once late for a payment. After threatening to take them to court they finally cut me a check. I will be shopping for a new insurance company immediately.

June 19th, 2015 Xenia, OH

Agent lied to me in several areas, did not return calls. Once I signed I was ignored. I canceled them after 3 months. Terrible service.