In 2007, Scribd launched a library membership service that allows people to read and listen to books online at no cost. Since their launch, their readers have clocked over 17 million hours of reading. Scribd has 80 million monthly readers, operates in 194 countries, has 2.5 million bookmarks, and offers 500,000 ebooks. Scribd also lets users upload content- including their own books, short stories, comic books, and essays. Their slogan is to, “read like you own every book in the world.”

Audible chevron_right
iTunes chevron_right
OverDrive Inc. chevron_right

The Good

• Unlimited access
  • Low subscription price
  • High-rated app

At $8.99 per month, Scribd gives members unlimited access to ebooks and audiobooks. This is one of the best deals of any audiobook company. Not only is the subscription price low, but you also get unlimited access to over 45,000 audiobooks and even more ebooks. Because they have a lot of user content, they have ebooks and audiobooks in English and four other languages.

Scribd has high-rated apps available on basically every platform - smartphone, tablet, and web browser. When you use the Scribd website, you can easily see books that are recommended for you, member favorites, or category favorites. Once you select a book, Scribd offers a good synopsis, reviews, and even suggests related books. We really like how easy and helpful Scribd is to use.

The Bad

• Difficult to navigate
  • Lots of content to sift through

Even though the site provides a lot of information on ebooks and audiobooks, it can sometimes be hard to navigate. On the homepage, there is so much content being constantly loaded that you can't get to the 'about,' 'membership,' or 'support' sections.

Because there is so much user-generated content along with popular books, there can be a lot of content to sift through in some genres.

The Bottom Line

If you're interested in reading ebooks and listening to audiobooks, Scribd is an excellent choice for you. They have over 45,000 audiobooks and 500,000 ebooks. Scribd is definitely a social site too - writers can upload their work, and listeners can review and recommend their favorite books.

Use Scribd's 30-day free trial if you want to see if it's for you. The Scribd app is available to use on almost any smartphone, tablet or web browser. For the selection and price, we definitely recommend Scribd.

2.1

starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
Alex
October 7th, 2019 DETAILS

Stay away ! Terrible customer service and not a useful app in general. Very few resources, most documents and handouts are terrible and probably uploaded to create an illusion of a big library. I recently discovered that I signed up for it twice by mistake and it's been 8 months of double charges. They refused to refund me even though one of the accounts was never logged in to in over a year! The person I was dealing with is Cheri QB who was very slow to respond and dealt with this in a very unprofessional way. I regret paying for their services for 2 years (to be honest I kept it "just in case" but it was not useful at all)

Robbie
October 4th, 2019 Smyrna, TN DETAILS

I have no idea how the service actually is; what I do know is that it appears to be impossible to cancel your account. My husband has been trying for MONTHS and we are still getting charged every month. Taking my money after I have cancelled my service is stealing!

Tom
August 5th, 2019 Chapel Hill, NC DETAILS

My daughter was unable to cancel her account. There is no phone number on the website and message/chats were ignored.

David M C
May 22nd, 2019 DETAILS

I was an annual subscriber to Scribd over the past 6 years. The annual subscription cost was $47.99. I lost my wallet over the past year and got a new credit card number for the card I used to renew my subscription. I received a warning that my subscription was expiring and my payment details must be updated. I attempted to do so using my valid credit cards but the site would not permit updating although my cards had been verified on the website. Every time I contacted customer support I received the generic instructions on how to update payment details, but they never addressed that the website would not update after the card was verified. My account expired and now I received this from Diane R: "I’m so sorry for this, but we do not currently offer a purchasable annual subscription plan. The annual was still available for anyone that had a recurring annual subscription. However because your card was flagged as fraud and your account expired , we cannot actually offer a purchasable annual plan to you directly at this time, though we hope to be able to do so again in the future." My response is STAY AWAY FROM SCRIBD AND THEIR PREDATORY SALES PRACTICES.

Michael Seth Manwaring
May 15th, 2019 Chandler, AZ DETAILS

Scribd is my back-up source for books. The required subscription will provide you access to many, many books, audio books, documents, and more. I always check Scribd before I buy a digital book or audio book from a different source. Their app is great, too, for listening to audio books!

Vander
April 29th, 2019 Haymarket, VA DETAILS

Same with what fabiana said. The cancellation can best be described as deceptive in both notification (absent) and how to actually cancel it (go through multiple of pages and click on small links). I lost $27 from this system when I only wanted to use it once, and I would highly recommend anyone not to get the fooled by this shady practice.

Fabiana
February 6th, 2019 San Carlos, CA DETAILS

Shade billing practices. Got charged monthly twice. One charge for a try-out subscription, which I thought I had cancelled, but did not because I did not clicked on all the pages kept popping up asking if I was sure I wanted to cancel. Second charge, I have no idea what was for. There is no way to talk to someone. All you can do is hope they will reply. I will have to contest the charges with my credit card company.

Starski Cene
December 17th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

Might overtake audible if it continues fine-tuning the content and the app Pros: - Great mix of audiobooks articles, and ebooks (great when you rather read something vs. listening) - User content is available (users can upload their own document) - Flat monthly price to access all the content (audible is a flat fee, but you pay more if you want to obtain more books) Cons: - The interface is not user-friendly (still needs a lot of work) - While it's great users can upload their own document, some of it is not useful, there needs to be a way to filter out the junk

Avery Fowler
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

This was a great service when I was trying to find sheet music.

Spencer Goodworth
April 9th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Great resources. But it was really hard to get my subscription cancelled.