iTunes Logo
LAST UPDATED: August 9th, 2021
The iTunes software was purchased by Apple in 2000. On January 9, 2001, iTunes 1.0 was released at Macworld in San Francisco. Through the iTunes store you can download, music, music videos, television shows, audiobooks, podcasts, movies, and ringtones.

The Good

• Many book categories
  • Many language options
  • Easy search function
iTunes offers over thirty thousand audiobooks. They offer over 20 different categories of books. The categories range from sports to the arts and from the classics to mystery. iTunes contains such a large selection that you are sure to find something that interests you. Purchasing audiobooks from iTunes will most likely be far cheaper than driving to the store and purchasing the book. If you read often for pleasure or for school purposes it can become real expensive real quick. Also, downloading the book to your MP3 Player allows you to listen to your books whenever and wherever. You can be doing multiple tasks at once and still be getting your reading done. iTunes also offers a wide range of languages so you can listen to a book in your native language or in a language you are learning. You can easily search a title, author, character, category, or character to help you find the audiobook you are looking for. The site makes it easy for you to find what you are looking for.

The Bad

• Can be expensive
  • Not easy to find the audiobooks section
Some of their audio books can be pretty expensive to simply be listening to them. You should go check the price at a used book store prior to purchasing an audiobook on iTunes. The audiobooks section on iTunes is not inherently easy to find. We had to do a Google search to get to their page. Once you find the page, it's rather bland and only lets you search audiobooks by genre. Other sites allow members to browse by author, title, and other filters. iTunes makes you search by genre, then author, and only then shows you titles. Once you purchase a title, it can only be read with iBooks, an app exclusively for Mac or iOS.

The Bottom Line

iTunes offers over 30,000 audiobooks. This makes it possible that almost everyone can find something that they are interested in. iTunes does offer some audio books free of cost so maybe a little free trial will help you decide if iTunes works for you. Comparatively, iTunes' audiobooks are more expensive than subscription-based services, so they may be better for the one- or two-time listener. If you're looking for to listen to one or more audiobook each month, you may want to find another provider.

Tiffany Nguyen Ashburn, VA

iTunes is such a great app store and I mostly appreciate the free apps. The only thing I do not appreciate is some of apps unreasonable prices; however, the audiobooks are wonderful and i’m glad they provided those for apple users.

Natalie Ashcraft Salt Lake City, UT

I love music and iTunes makes it easy to access all my favorite songs. Apple Music is the best thing iTunes has done. I love not having to buy the music because I get sick of music very quickly. With Apple Music I can listen to a much larger variety of songs I like.

Jefferson Farmer Provo, UT

iTunes is a quality product. Usually it works well and has minimal issues. Especially lately, iTunes has a beautiful interface and works seamlessly with iPhone and Mac. A great product. Top of the line. I have automatic pay which is also a great way to go. Apple Music with a $5 student plan is unrivaled.

Easton Bingham Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used ITunes a lot throughout my life, and I’ve been pleased with all that I’ve experienced with it. Not super thrilled with prices that have gone up, but that’s life I guess. I’m a big fan of Apple Music, and ITunes has always provided me with the satisfaction to my music needs.

Trent Provo, UT

I think that Itunes is great. I enjoy the layout and ease of use. I have contacted the customer service people in the past and they were very helpful. The only downside is that there are updates frequently, so its a little annoying.

Alex Knoxville, TN

If you want an app that is user friendly and easy to use, this is your app. There are limitations as far as uploading things that aren't compatible with iTunes though.

Jacobrobot321 Baton Rouge, LA

I bought an audiobook off of here and it was a very clear and cohesive experience, though I bought a different version of my book. but i got a refund!

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

iTunes has so many books, podcasts, music, and other great features to have on my phone. They keep all the material up to date and makes it easy to have the latest music.

David Lewis Salt Lake City, UT

I used to use iTunes exclusively for all my music. I don't anymore, but I still really like the service. I just find it's easier to stream music these days rather than own and store on your device.

Madi Thompson Ogden, UT

I've really enjoyed using itunes in the past. My favorite thing about them is their most popular music list. I've loved finding new music that way. I do, however, wish that songs still were $0.99.

zoe Pleasant Grove, UT

apple books has many books to choose from. i do wish that you wouldn’t have to pay for every single book. the audio is good.

Amanda Montebello, CA

I enjoy using iTunes for its reputation and easy accessibility. Also, Apple has great customer service when there are any issues.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

This is the best app I have on my phone. I love their selection and the ease of use and the ease of paying. iTunes are the best!

SnowballH Salt Lake City, UT

We’ve used iTunes for 15+ years. They have lots of great choices at selections that keeps everyone in our family happy!

Darbles32 Managua, MN

I always download audio books from iTunes when going on a long trip especially somewhere with no service

Allie Powell Long Beach, MS

I have only purchased one audiobook from this place. They have such a huge variety of things and I loved it!

Cara McAffee Cedar City, UT

Variety of books, music, movies, tv shows, they always have what I’m looking for and the prices are never outrageous

Chase H Provo, UT

I used to use iTunes a lot! It is where I bought all my music. Can't really compete with Spotify now. Great for renting videos though!

Samantha Millville, UT

I love creating my own playlists and listening to whatever I want for only $10 a month!

Cody Linden Lehi, UT

Always received great quality music and videos. Sometimes a little pricey but always good products.

Darius Williams Alexandria, VA

Great audio books i found for kids ! A big library to choose from !

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

I like the selection of music and videos. I have never had a problem with any of them.

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

I like the variety of books offered. Especially if I’m taking a long road trip!

Nana Asiata Herriman, UT

Itunes has great music and lets me play all my favorite songs!

Brette Draper, UT

I can always find what I am looking for here and it is very user friendly