AudiobookStore.com

AudiobookStore.com lets members download over 40,000 audiobooks. On their website, you can browse books that are coming soon, current bestsellers, top authors, and new releases. You can also check out books by category and see the latest audiobook reviews. Right away, AudiobookStore.com advertises their “FlexPass.” FlexPass is a monthly membership fee that lets you buy your first audiobook for just $3.95. After your first month, $3.95 is the price of your membership fee. AudiobookStore has a membership fee and chargers per book.

#1 iTunes Logo iTunes ›

8.6

Overall
Score

#2 Nook Logo Nook ›

8.6

Overall
Score

#3 Audible Logo Audible ›

7.4

Overall
Score

#8 AudiobookStore.com Logo AudiobookStore.com

Overall
Score

The Good

• First month is free
  • Large selection
  • In depth information about each book

We like that AudiobookStore.com waves the first month's membership fee. On top of that, they let you buy your first audiobook for $3.95. After that, they claim that 90% of their books are $12.95 or below.

AudiobookStore.com has a large selection of content to go through - over 40,000 titles. Many of these titles are popular, best-seller books that people want to listen to.

We also like all the information AudiobookStore.com shares about each book we click on. From their site, you can see a description of the book, other titles by the author, reviews, and suggested audiobooks.

The Bad

• Lack of transparency
  • Can be expensive
  • Limited language options

Even though AudiobookStore claims that a majority of their books cost under $13 for their members, they don't actually show this right off the bat. Every time you click on a book without becoming a member, they show you the nonmember price, and encourage you to sign up for an account and get the book for $3.95. Once you have an initial book in your cart, you can see the membership price of any additional books you add.

Even though it's nice to see the nonmember price, people should be able to see how much books cost before they join the site. In general, we wish they were more transparent.

The site has a membership fee and a price per book. When you calculate the price of listening to one or two books on AudiobookStore.com at the $12.95 price (plus $3.95 for membership fees), it's more expensive than contemporary prices. However, if you buy more than one book each month, or if you choose books that are priced lower, you will end up paying the same amount or less than other sites.

In summary, here are a few things to remember:

• They have a smaller selection than many of their competitors
  • You'll want to double check the price of what books will be before purchase
  • They only have books available in 2 languages
  • They offer no free book, unlike several of their competitors

The Bottom Line

While we like how AudiobookStore functions, their lack of transparency worries us. We were unable to find who owns the company, who works there, how long they've been around, or if they have a parent company. Their prices also lack transparency at first.

Even though they have a smaller selection of audiobooks than their competitors, their prices are still cheaper. If you browse their site and find several books you are interested in, we definitely recommend using AudiobookStore.com. However, if their selection does not interest you, you may want to try a company with a wider selection.

2.2

October 26th, 2017 Opp, AL DETAILS

I set up an account unaware that I was signing up for a subscription. Ordered one book and listened to it but just realized that I've been charged for the past several months a monthly fee... Tried to go to the app to cancel my subscription and couldn't do it. Tried to Google up a customer service phone number to call them and cancel my service and there isn't one. Had to send an email hoping they will check it to cancel my subscription. Overall rating of this company would be a 0 if it was possible

October 18th, 2017 San Jose, CA

Total scam. Stay away!! They will bill you forever and never return a phone call. Worst service I have ever experienced

September 14th, 2017

I'm a huge Diana Gabaldon fan and I was able to save quite a lot by signing up for a membership to buy all of her audiobooks from this company. I cancelled shortly thereafter and was pleased that this was made very simple (they clearly explain how to cancel in their FAQ and it's really quick and painless). No need to call customer service and jump through hoops like some other companies!

June 26th, 2017 Valdosta, GA

Well I did get a book my first month for 5.95 and then promptly cancelled my service. However, I have been charged again this month. After attempting contact FOUR times with absolutely no response on their end, my issue is still not resolved. I would not recommend this company to anyone...stick with Audible.

February 21st, 2017

I've been pretty happy with this audiobook company - good selection and attractive prices for the most part. I had a couple of minor technical issues come up but they were quick to take care of them and were great to deal with. One big plus point for me is that there's no minimum contract and they make it really easy to cancel (and resume when you like). Another thing I really liked is that their books have no DRM restrictions which can be a real headache with some companies.

February 7th, 2017 Manassas, VA

My experience has been the exact opposite of the previous reviewer so I felt compelled to post my experience. It is true they have no published support phone number but I've been using them for over a year and rarely wait more than an hour for a reply using the app's help option. I don't know about the other reviewer's claim that there's only one person to deal with but who cares as long as you're getting timely support!! In my experience a reply from support within an hour is very reasonable, and these days it is not uncommon for services like this to only have email support! I also never had an issue with being charged again once I cancelled my membership, so again that's just not true. I started off as a member and realized I wasn't listening to as many audiobooks as I thought I would so I cancelled after about 3 months. Never received another charge again after that. Anyway, that's my experience with this service.

December 11th, 2016 Louisville, KY

Totally horrible service they don't have a phone number and there's only one person you can deal with, company is a scam they will not cancel your membership will continue to charge you, and products are faulty, do not work don't buy from them