Audible sells audio versions of books, newspapers, magazines, TV programs, and radio. Audible offers a free 30 day trial, which translate into one free audiobook. Users can listen online or through an app on their phone. Audible also has an exchange guarantee anytime users don't like a book they bought. They also allows members to cancel their membership at anytime.

Established in 1998, they are one of the oldest retailers of audio entertainment. Ten years later, in 2008, Amazon bought Audible for 300 million dollars. Today, they have the largest selection of books and other written work in audio format.

iTunes chevron_right
OverDrive Inc. chevron_right

The Good

• Huge selection
  • Free returns
  • Easy to use website and app

With over 425,000+ books to choose from, Audible has one of the largest selections of audiobooks out there. When new members sign up for Audible, they get a free book during their first month. After that, they can sign up to download one audiobook a month for $14.95, or two for $22.95. If members want to download additional material to listen to, they get 30% off a book's price. Other benefits of joining Audible:

• Free returns if you do not like a book
  • Recommendations based on previous purchases
  • Discounted books each month
  • You can purchase more credits for even cheaper
  • Automatic bookmarks, so you can listen between you computer, mobile, tablet, and other devices without losing your place
  • Detailed descriptions of each audiobook
  • User reviews that let you know what your peers think

Because Audible is so large, they have the money and time to make their website and apps easy to use. Audible offers apps for all smart phones and some reading tablets. It's easy to download or stream their content. You can even easily download books to a CD. People who use Audible's app for Android and iOS both gave the app 4.5 out of 5 stars and said it was very easy to use. We recommend using Audible for the following reasons:

• Low membership prices
  • Continual member perks
  • Large selection of audiobooks
  • Recommended audiobooks
  • High-rated mobile app

The Bad

• Can be expensive
  • Membership could be more valuable

While Audible's prices are good if you are a member, they're more expensive if you're not. If you're the kind of person who listens to a few audiobooks a year, you may not realize you'll end up paying more for those three books than it would have cost you to sign up for a year-long membership. On the other hand, if you're the type of listener who devours books and wants to listen to three or more a month, Audible can be expensive. Members who want to listen to more than two books a month pay 70% of an audio book's full price.

The Bottom Line

Audible has the best selection of audiobooks (over 425,000) and they offer them at an amazing price for their members. While most audiobooks are around $30 a piece, you can get them for less than half the price when you sign up with Audible. When you sign up for Audible, they don't lock you in for a set amount of time. Customers can cancel their membership anytime they want. We also love that Audible offers a 30-day trial, so potential customers can see what it's like and determine if they want to invest in audiobooks. Overall, we think Audible is one of the best companies that sells audiobooks and we highly recommend them.

Johnathan Everson
August 16th, 2019 Boston, MA DETAILS

I love this app, its so fun that I can be listening whenever I want. I really enjoy it specially before I go to sleep. I think its a good investment if you like books, not only as a hobby but for education, and instead of reading you can relax and listen. I think it would be great if the prices were a little lower haha

Mazi Marcel Womack
July 18th, 2019 Cedar City, UT DETAILS

I LOVE audible. It is a great way to listen to all your favorite books and have them all in one place at the same time. I have never had issues with Audible.

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I love audible! Not only do they have a 30-day free trial, but I never have struggled to use this incredible app! I love books and have for most of my life but I have always had to go to the library to check them out. Now I have all the books that I could want in my hand and I just have to click a button! Something that I love about Audible is that I can easily buy books on Amazon and they are linked to my Audible account. This way I am able to access anything that I could possibly want to read. I would recommend this to anyone with a smartphone! The app is easy to look at and easy to use!

Kimberly LeBaron
May 29th, 2019 Delta, UT DETAILS

I love audible. For years, my only complaint was that it didn’t have Harry Potter, but it has those too now. With audible, my family has been able to accumulate a huge collection of audiobooks. We are able to have many devices under the same account, which really makes it worth the cost. The format is great, there’s reviews for every book and narrator, and if you’re a big reader, you will save a lot of money as a member. It has the efficiency and quality of all things Amazon.

Nana Asiata
May 20th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

audible has a great amount of books I can choose from and has a easy process for returning the books I purchase.

Rob Whipple
May 6th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Great selection. I have really enjoyed listening not only for fun but for education. I get through many more books this way than I would if I were just reading. I feel that the investment in my well being and education is worth it. It would be nice if it were a little cheaper tho. Easy to cancel and keep purchased books if you want.

Lance
April 5th, 2019 DETAILS

As a member since 2013, I can only assure you that membership with this company apparently warrant's a single email for an expired card, that I overlooked, for them to expire points and unenroll you. I had intended to get the ball rolling again only to be informed that the points balance could not be restored. Minor amount in this case, but since I had been actively paying for a subscription I had not taken advantage of for years, you would think 6 points would not have been a hardship for them to return. Instead, I received dead air space when requesting to speak to a real customer service rep.

Jamie Poort
February 13th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Because I have limited time to sit down and read a book, Audible gives me the chance to get me reading done in the car or at the gym or while I'm cooking. I love it!

Ava Rasmussen
February 12th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Great selection of titles but not the most user friendly. I don’t know why I can’t order audiobooks through their app. I have to get on my laptop to purchase and then it shows up in my library on my app.

McKinzie Figueroa
February 6th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Using Audible is a lot of fun. I have always loved listening to Audio-books and this is a great place to do it! It is much better than renting a book on CD from the library. When you take into account how much it costs to buy an audio-book the monthly payment to use Audible is much cheaper. I have been able to find every book that I have wanted to. It's a great service.

Miguel Figueroa
February 6th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Great price. Both for the actual subscription to get one book per month and when you are a paying subscriber you get some great discounts on additional books. My favorite thing by far is that even though they are a subscription service you keep the books you have after you cancel your subscription.

KBear
January 29th, 2019 DETAILS

I signed up for a free trial, cancelled but they still keep billing me. I've tried to email but no response. For this reason I would not recommend them.

Tanner Cook
December 17th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Audible has made my drive to work 1000% better. I was sick of your typical morning radio shows, sick of the music, and really am not into podcasts. Being able to listen to a book has been much more enjoyable, and I find myself listening to books more than I originally expected!

Jorden Laird
December 12th, 2018 Front Royal, VA DETAILS

the only problem I have with audible is that I go through books so quickly that I am waiting a long time before another credit is available if I want to avoid paying full price. They do have sales though which makes it much easier for me to read(listen) to my hearts content. App is easy to use and always saves my place. I'm addicted.

Mildred Carter
December 11th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

I don't listen to audio books often, but when I do, I automatically go to Audible. It's easy to use, and I know that if I need to snag an audiobook? It's probably going to be on here.

Matthew Carbaugh
December 11th, 2018 Herndon, VA

Was interested in listening to a single book. Went through the hasse of downloading and installing Audible phone app just to realize that a monthly subscription is required. If there was a way to just listen to one book without a subscription it was unclear how to do so.

Dee Farquharson
December 11th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS

Had audible on a trial. There was not a large selection of titles that I was interested in. Also, when I went to cancel the trial, they kept charging me for over 6 months. They were very pleasant and apologetic, though.

Brent Wilhite
December 10th, 2018 Sandy, UT DETAILS

I've been an Audible user for probably close to 15 years. I'm not the kind of guy who can sit and read a book. But I love to put on headphones and work around the house, in the yard or drive to work while listening to an audiobook. It's been a great run, but I think the subscription plan is a bit outdated since there are other services out there that provide free or low-cost audiobooks now.

Donna Williams
December 5th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Audible is the best place to get books on Audio. I love their program and pricing and the ability to download books to my ipod, phone, etc. Perfect for a busy person like me who needs to be able to listen to the books while I am driving to and from work.

Mackenzie
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I love the content Audible offers and the value is pretty good if you can listen to 1-2 audio books per month. I fell behind and had a hard time catching up. Overall their site is easy to navigate and use.

Starski Cene
November 29th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

Pros: Interface is user-friendly Love the monthly credit system Love the recommendations based Makes keeping up with the latest books easy Cons: Wish Amazon offered bundled discounts for having multiple services

Jeffrey Salas
November 28th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Ever since I switched to audible from my typical paperback books, I've gotten so much more done throughout my day because my hands are free while im "reading." Its not an overstatement to say that it can change your life!

Randal hyde
November 6th, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS

Audible has a great selection of audiobooks. It is easy to listen, even offline. Customer service is helpful when you have questions.

Isabelle Hong
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Audible has a vast collection of quality books. I discovered one of my all time favorite books on Audible. Audiobooks are great to listen to while cleaning the house or on roadtrips. They tell the story in a way that captures your attention and gives the characters unique personalities.

Jodi Freedman
October 24th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

This is my favorite app! I love listening to books while I do housework. The variety of books is amazing.

Brooklyn Pruitt
October 22nd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Audible is a great thing to get if you love to read but don't have the time!This is perfect if you enjoy listening to books and finishing them up while still being able to do other things!

Ramona Brooks
October 15th, 2018 Plainview, NY DETAILS

I love, love, love Audible! So easy to use and amazing selection of books.

LESLIE LAND
September 13th, 2018 DETAILS

I only recently got into audible books. I only did it because someone I like made one. I had to buy my first tablet. Guess what? I AM HOOKED! I never knew I would like it so much. First, as far as the tablet goes, I can read my books even in the poor lighting of my bedroom. Second, as far as audible, I don't even listen to the radio in the car anymore! Commuting? Can't wait!! But the most amazing thing, besides sheer enjoyment, is that I have been plagued by sleeplessness for years now. After I start listening to my books, I get sleepy and fall to sleep after thirty minutes or so! No more pills! I highly recommend audible books to everyone! You will find your own reason to love them!!!

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I really liked Audible for the wide selection of books they offer the consumer. They were easy to load and to listen to.

Tara Larson
August 28th, 2018 Portola Valley, CA

I am a big fan of audio books and this is by far the easiest and cheapest way to get the audio books that I really want. The selection is much better than my local library.

Alison Allen
August 27th, 2018 DETAILS

The choice of books is excellent. One thing that irritates me slightly is the click bait way they sell extra credits. Don’t get me wrong I’ll buy extra credits when I need more books but pretending it’s an offer is slightly shonky. But quality wise and the fact that it finally syncs with my sonos makes it wholly unbeatable.

Kris
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love being a member of Audible. There are many benefits besides discounts on audiobooks. I enjoy the audible daily deals offered each day.

Thomas Hullinger
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I love Audible, I have used them many times and they are great when I am going on a long trip, or just when I need to chill out at home. Great selection of books and very easy to use.

Mallory Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT DETAILS

I absolutely love audible. It has just about every book out there and I listen to them while I'm getting ready, or in the car, or walking to school. A lot of people don't want to pay $16 a month for one book, but it has always been worth it to me.

Haley Houtz
August 20th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I really enjoy Audible. They have a lot of book options and the prices are good!

Lesa Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love audible so much! I drive a lot and the only way I can enjoy getting through all my driving is to listen to books. I get so sick of the same old radio and songs, but listening to a book helps keep my engaged and happy. I love how many books I can "read" by listening to them. My collection has grown so much. I used to love reading but now as a buy mom I have a hard time finding time, being able to listen really helps me get them all in. Love it!!

George Alkass
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Simply put, I am new to Audible services and I love it. And what is great about it it's points system and newly launched books. Thank you for your kind services.

Carl Shaw
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

The app runs great on my android device. I do wish there were downloads to go with "The Teaching Company"'s Great Courses series.

James Allen
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Great selection and the two books per month offer really works well for me. Breaks up my usual podcast rotation nicely and I get to learn on my journey. Good times.

Peter Odukwe
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

I know have 293 books in my Audible library. For me it's easier to listen to books and visualize than listen. The chosen narrator is vital. My go to app. I have found the service excellent at all times

Kerilyn Englis
August 6th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Audible has a great selection of audio books available, and I can get them for a steal when they are on sale. I like the fact that I can purchase audio books on Audible without being an Audible member, but if you plan on purchasing a lot of audio books, paying the monthly membership is worth it. Not only do you get one audio book per month, but you save 30% on all other audio book purchases. My only beef with Audible is that I can't make audio book purchases directly from the app. I have to do it from a browser. It would be nicer if I could even see the prices directly from the app.

Nathan Johnson
August 6th, 2018 Palmyra, PA

App works well, but I find the book selection process overwhelming.

Kimberley Hirt
July 27th, 2018 Buena Vista, VA

I enjoy using audible. I wish there were less expensive books, but the quality is great!

Marilyn Greer
July 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

I subscribe every year. The site is very easy to use and they have all the books I want to listen to.

Anna Hu
July 23rd, 2018 Provo, UT

Audible always has the books I want at a good price. I like that I can download audiobooks to my phone as well as listen to books from multiple devices. Will definitely continue to purchase books from Audible.

Spencer Hodgson
July 18th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

They have an awesome selection of books and the narrators always sound good.

Jess Root
July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

The selection is great. The price is reasonable and the promotions are good. This is a fantastic service , especially since you keep the books found download. I would continue it if I listened to more audiobooks. Very easy to cancel and sign back up.

Hunter Kasprzyk
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Although the books are very expensive the product it worth the payment. Audible opens up many opportunities to absorb knowledge at times that would normally be wasted.

Bella Houtz
June 13th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I love audible. It is one of my most used apps. I can listen to books driving, doing yard work even working out. The pricing of the books are fair and I have never had any problems downloading or using this app.

Jani Crawley
June 12th, 2018 New York, NY

Love the first free audio book, but dont feel like the price is worth it to keep going. I can rent audio books from my library for free. Would be nice to see something like that integrated into the platform.