Audible

7.4

Audible sells audio versions of books, newspapers, magazines, TV programs, and radio. Audible offers a free 30 day trial, which translate into one free audiobook. Users can listen online or through an app on their phone. Audible also has an exchange guarantee anytime users don't like a book they bought. They also allows members to cancel their membership at anytime.

Established in 1998, they are one of the oldest retailers of audio entertainment. Ten years later, in 2008, Amazon bought Audible for 300 million dollars. Today, they have the largest selection of books and other written work in audio format.

The Good

• Huge selection
  • Free returns
  • Easy to use website and app

With over 180k books to choose from, Audible has one of the largest selections of audiobooks out there. When new members sign up for Audible, they get a free book during their first month. After that, they can sign up to download one audiobook a month for $14.95, or two for $22.95. If members want to download additional material to listen to, they get 30% off a book's price.

Other benefits of joining Audible:

• Free returns if you do not like a book
  • Recommendations based on previous purchases
  • Discounted books each month
  • You can purchase more credits for even cheaper
  • Automatic bookmarks, so you can listen between you computer, mobile, tablet, and other devices without losing your place
  • Detailed descriptions of each audiobook
  • User reviews that let you know what your peers think

Because Audible is so large, they have the money and time to make their website and apps easy to use. Audible offers apps for all smart phones and some reading tablets. It's easy to download or stream their content. You can even easily download books to a CD. People who use Audible's app for Android and iOS both gave the app 4.5 out of 5 stars and said it was very easy to use.

We recommend using Audible for the following reasons:

• Low membership prices
  • Continual member perks
  • Large selection of audiobooks
  • Recommended audiobooks
  • High-rated mobile app

The Bad

• Can be expensive
  • Membership could be more valuable

While Audible's prices are good if you are a member, they're more expensive if you're not. If you're the kind of person who listens to a few audiobooks a year, you may not realize you'll end up paying more for those three books than it would have cost you to sign up for a year-long membership. On the other hand, if you're the type of listener who devours books and wants to listen to three or more a month, Audible can be expensive. Members who want to listen to more than two books a month pay 70% of an audio book's full price.

The Bottom Line

Audible has the best selection of audiobooks (over 180,000) and they offer them at an amazing price for their members. While most audiobooks are around $30 a piece, you can get them for less than half the price when you sign up with Audible. When you sign up for Audible, they don't lock you in for a set amount of time. Customers can cancel their membership anytime they want.

We also love that Audible offers a 30-day trial, so potential customers can see what it's like and determine if they want to invest in audiobooks. Overall, we think Audible is one of the best companies that sells audiobooks and we highly recommend them.

November 7th, 2017 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Overall I love the ability to listen to audiobooks and the selection. I've never searched for a book, and come up empty. My one complaint is that I would like to listen to more than one or two books a month. I would be much more likely to pay a higher monthly (or even annual) fee so that I had unlimited access to the audiobooks each month. As an Amazon Prime member, I would love to see these combined, so that I can select one option such as 'Amazon Prime + Audible' and pay a higher annual fee than merely pay the fee for one book each month.

October 31st, 2017 Centerville, UT

I've only used the free trail period of Audible but I really enjoy their wide variety of books. It was very easy to use and I was able to go through the first book of a series I am going to finish. I think I will continue using Audible to finish the rest of the series.

October 29th, 2017 Logan, UT DETAILS

I love audible and that it connects to my Amazon account. It keeps my place and it has the features that I want.

July 12th, 2017 Alpine, UT

Great service. Much cheaper than buying an audiobook and the monthly service gives me incentive to actually use my purchases.

June 13th, 2017

by far the best bang for your buck. $15 audio books. it doesn't get much better than that. It is a great way to consume books on the go.

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I use audible with my amazon account. Their service is good and you can find pretty much any book you want. They are kind of expensive and i think you could probably find a cheaper service somewhere else. Audible does offer free service for a few weeks.

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Their service is one of the best I've dealt with from streaming anything. Their books are top notch, and the narrators they hire are some of the best I've heard. I really have enjoyed listening to the R.A. Salvatore books from their. I have purchased over 20 books and look to continue in the future.

July 5th, 2015 Federal Way, WA

Audible is a top notch company, highly recommended. Excellent selection, customer service, prices and incentives. I've belonged for years and will remain so permanently, assuming they continue the good work. I suggest them to friends often.