Audible Logo
Audible sells audio versions of books, newspapers, magazines, TV programs, and radio. Audible offers a free 30 day trial, which translate into one free audiobook. Users can listen online or through an app on their phone. Audible also has an exchange guarantee anytime users don't like a book they bought. They also allows members to cancel their membership at anytime. Established in 1998, they are one of the oldest retailers of audio entertainment. Ten years later, in 2008, Amazon bought Audible for 300 million dollars. Today, they have the largest selection of books and other written work in audio format.

The Good

• Huge selection
  • Free returns
  • Easy to use website and app

With over 425,000+ books to choose from, Audible has one of the largest selections of audiobooks out there. When new members sign up for Audible, they get a free book during their first month. After that, they can sign up to download one audiobook a month for $14.95, or two for $22.95. If members want to download additional material to listen to, they get 30% off a book's price. Other benefits of joining Audible:

• Free returns if you do not like a book
  • Recommendations based on previous purchases
  • Discounted books each month
  • You can purchase more credits for even cheaper
  • Automatic bookmarks, so you can listen between you computer, mobile, tablet, and other devices without losing your place
  • Detailed descriptions of each audiobook
  • User reviews that let you know what your peers think

Because Audible is so large, they have the money and time to make their website and apps easy to use. Audible offers apps for all smart phones and some reading tablets. It's easy to download or stream their content. You can even easily download books to a CD. People who use Audible's app for Android and iOS both gave the app 4.5 out of 5 stars and said it was very easy to use. We recommend using Audible for the following reasons:

• Low membership prices
  • Continual member perks
  • Large selection of audiobooks
  • Recommended audiobooks
  • High-rated mobile app

The Bad

• Can be expensive
  • Membership could be more valuable
While Audible's prices are good if you are a member, they're more expensive if you're not. If you're the kind of person who listens to a few audiobooks a year, you may not realize you'll end up paying more for those three books than it would have cost you to sign up for a year-long membership. On the other hand, if you're the type of listener who devours books and wants to listen to three or more a month, Audible can be expensive. Members who want to listen to more than two books a month pay 70% of an audio book's full price.

The Bottom Line

Audible has the best selection of audiobooks (over 425,000) and they offer them at an amazing price for their members. While most audiobooks are around $30 a piece, you can get them for less than half the price when you sign up with Audible. When you sign up for Audible, they don't lock you in for a set amount of time. Customers can cancel their membership anytime they want. We also love that Audible offers a 30-day trial, so potential customers can see what it's like and determine if they want to invest in audiobooks. Overall, we think Audible is one of the best companies that sells audiobooks and we highly recommend them.

KimDugan Kailua, HI

I'm pretty sure it's an undisputed fact that Audible has the best selection of audiobooks. Their subscription is totally worth it, especially when you look at the cost of buying audiobooks "a la carte". As long as you have a good connection (4G/5G or Wi-Fi) for the initial download of your content, you can be listening to a book within two minutes of picking it out. Their app is neatly integrated with the other Amazon apps and you can listen to samples to make sure the narrator doesn't suck. (That is pretty rare, though.) Another nice feature is returns. I have returned a few titles and gotten my credits back to spend on other books. Beware, this is limited, so as to avoid "scamming" by listeners. However, it is a pretty good deal, as we don't fall in love with each and every piece we listen to. My only gripe with Audible is that handling your purchases after the fact has to be through the main Amazon shopping app. That part is a little clunky and takes me a few tries every time. Other than that, it is very user-friendly.

Paula Shearer Omaha, NE

One of the best parts of Audible is their connection with The Great Courses. I have listened to several courses and really love them. Many services can let you listen to books but these college-level courses are only on Audible. Love it.

LESLIE LAND

I only recently got into audible books. I only did it because someone I like made one. I had to buy my first tablet. Guess what? I AM HOOKED! I never knew I would like it so much. First, as far as the tablet goes, I can read my books even in the poor lighting of my bedroom. Second, as far as audible, I don't even listen to the radio in the car anymore! Commuting? Can't wait!! But the most amazing thing, besides sheer enjoyment, is that I have been plagued by sleeplessness for years now. After I start listening to my books, I get sleepy and fall to sleep after thirty minutes or so! No more pills! I highly recommend audible books to everyone! You will find your own reason to love them!!!

Bonny756 ,

The app is very user friendly and generally convenient. Love listening to an audiobook while cooking or working out. The prices are fair and moreover you get one free credit for a book every month. It's really a good deal so thank you!

Penny Altman Encino, CA

I have been a customer on and off with Audible for about 7 or 8 years. Not only do they have a great selection of audio books, but their customer service is outstanding. If I have a problem downloading a book onto my IPod and call them for assistance, no matter how long it takes, they always help me with no complaints and always with a smile. I can't say enough about their customer service.

Jennifer Smith Salt Lake City, UT

I love audible! Not only do they have a 30-day free trial, but I never have struggled to use this incredible app! I love books and have for most of my life but I have always had to go to the library to check them out. Now I have all the books that I could want in my hand and I just have to click a button! Something that I love about Audible is that I can easily buy books on Amazon and they are linked to my Audible account. This way I am able to access anything that I could possibly want to read. I would recommend this to anyone with a smartphone! The app is easy to look at and easy to use!

Kimberly LeBaron Delta, UT

I love audible. For years, my only complaint was that it didn’t have Harry Potter, but it has those too now. With audible, my family has been able to accumulate a huge collection of audiobooks. We are able to have many devices under the same account, which really makes it worth the cost. The format is great, there’s reviews for every book and narrator, and if you’re a big reader, you will save a lot of money as a member. It has the efficiency and quality of all things Amazon.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I love audible so much! I drive a lot and the only way I can enjoy getting through all my driving is to listen to books. I get so sick of the same old radio and songs, but listening to a book helps keep my engaged and happy. I love how many books I can "read" by listening to them. My collection has grown so much. I used to love reading but now as a buy mom I have a hard time finding time, being able to listen really helps me get them all in. Love it!!

Myken Salt Lake City, UT

I love Audible. I don't read much but I love being able to read a book with audible. I use it while working, cleaning etc. and it makes my job enjoyable. The service provided for the cost is well worth it. It's easy to use and affordable.

Benjamin LeBlanc Dallas, TX

I would honestly have to say that I was the best reading service I use on my iPad. This is mostly because of how streamline the services not to mention their trials are incredibly stressful and give you up to five books for free which I found incredibly generous.

JDWain Tallahassee, FL

I love using Audible to listen to books that I dont have time to read. I have a long commute to work and find that audible is perfect for my need. I also like that the company sponsors some of my favorite youtube channels. Once you try it you will be hooked

Molly Keogh Ogden, UT

They have the largest selection of audiobooks out there. Their membership is a good value if you listen to at least 2 audiobooks a month. If you have long commutes or spend a lot of time in your car, Audible is a great way to pass the time.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

My family has enjoyed Audible many times for daily drives to/from work or for road trips. They have a wide selection of books for all ages and we also enjoy the novels that are exclusive to Audible. The app has been easy to use and I have many books in my "library" that I can't wait to listen to.

Rob Whipple Mesa, AZ

Great selection. I have really enjoyed listening not only for fun but for education. I get through many more books this way than I would if I were just reading. I feel that the investment in my well being and education is worth it. It would be nice if it were a little cheaper tho. Easy to cancel and keep purchased books if you want.

Miguel Figueroa Provo, UT

Great price. Both for the actual subscription to get one book per month and when you are a paying subscriber you get some great discounts on additional books. My favorite thing by far is that even though they are a subscription service you keep the books you have after you cancel your subscription.

McKinzie Figueroa Provo, UT

Using Audible is a lot of fun. I have always loved listening to Audio-books and this is a great place to do it! It is much better than renting a book on CD from the library. When you take into account how much it costs to buy an audio-book the monthly payment to use Audible is much cheaper. I have been able to find every book that I have wanted to. It's a great service.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

Audible has made my drive to work 1000% better. I was sick of your typical morning radio shows, sick of the music, and really am not into podcasts. Being able to listen to a book has been much more enjoyable, and I find myself listening to books more than I originally expected!

Brent Wilhite Sandy, UT

I've been an Audible user for probably close to 15 years. I'm not the kind of guy who can sit and read a book. But I love to put on headphones and work around the house, in the yard or drive to work while listening to an audiobook. It's been a great run, but I think the subscription plan is a bit outdated since there are other services out there that provide free or low-cost audiobooks now.

Isabelle Hong Pleasant Grove, UT

Audible has a vast collection of quality books. I discovered one of my all time favorite books on Audible. Audiobooks are great to listen to while cleaning the house or on roadtrips. They tell the story in a way that captures your attention and gives the characters unique personalities.

Mallory Millett Lindon, UT

I absolutely love audible. It has just about every book out there and I listen to them while I'm getting ready, or in the car, or walking to school. A lot of people don't want to pay $16 a month for one book, but it has always been worth it to me.

Jess Root Gilbert, AZ

The selection is great. The price is reasonable and the promotions are good. This is a fantastic service , especially since you keep the books found download. I would continue it if I listened to more audiobooks. Very easy to cancel and sign back up.

Dan Rowlett, TX

Audible’s service, quality, system, selection, etc are all fantastic! However, in pricing, it is generally more economical to go buy 1 audiobook a month from another source where you can apply discounts, etc. If audible provided more discount or discounted options, I would have remained a customer. However, the monthly rates were too high to justify.

Pete Centerville, UT

I've only used the free trail period of Audible but I really enjoy their wide variety of books. It was very easy to use and I was able to go through the first book of a series I am going to finish. I think I will continue using Audible to finish the rest of the series.

Michael Lyman Salt Lake City, UT

Their service is one of the best I've dealt with from streaming anything. Their books are top notch, and the narrators they hire are some of the best I've heard. I really have enjoyed listening to the R.A. Salvatore books from their. I have purchased over 20 books and look to continue in the future.

Sue Chally Skinner Federal Way, WA

Audible is a top notch company, highly recommended. Excellent selection, customer service, prices and incentives. I've belonged for years and will remain so permanently, assuming they continue the good work. I suggest them to friends often.

Laurel Van Wagenen Salt Lake City, UT

Audible has saved my life on my long drives to work or school. I have read more books in the past three months that I have had a subscription than I have in my entire life. It is fun to hear the characters come to life and be able to listen to these stories on the go. Their customer service team has always been very helpful in canceling any problems I have had.

Brielle Wright Logan, UT

I love using audible because it is simple and has many option to choose from. You can listen to audible and set different modes to your personal liking like how fast to read.

Alex Knoxville, TN

Super easy to listen to books. Downloading is easy and I have the ability to pull them down from multiple sites. I love the credits idea on purchasing books. You can also increase your listening speed!

Judith Gail Lanham, MD

Easy access to all books through Amazon. You received a free credit toward a book every 30 days. and you can buy 3 credits for less that you would pay outright for a book. I will always stay with audible!

Gene Glencoe, IL

Excellent offerings, very customer friendly by offering free download several times a year, amazing selection, easy to search, the prices are reasonable. I highly recommend to sign up.

Jasmin Ortega Tallahassee, FL

I have loved using Audible! Audible is a great app with voices that you can picture whil reading the book and is a very good alternative to other audible books which can have cringeworthy readers or montone readers.

Anita pea Slidell, LA

Audible was a good choice for audio books to listen on the go or at home and would recommend to anyone. I have recently listened to harry potter. The prices were cheap and recommended the best of books!!!

Jake Mecham , CO

It is a fun way to alternatively "read" books. I listen to book all while at work and find myself immersed and time flies by. The only downside is how often Amazon tries to get you to buy more books and sends your credits when you don't want to use them. I don't read more than one book every few months, so it takes me longer than most.

Kimi Bayles West Valley City, UT

Book after book, audible is the place! Easy to use app and so many available titles to choose from! Easy to purchase, listen, exchange and even share with the new family plan!

Katlyn Hockman Pittsburgh, PA

Audible was a little hard for me to use because it was confusing but the actual quality of it was amazing. The employees weren't super helpful when I tried to cancel my subscription do to change in income, but overall it is a great program to use for audio books.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Superb audiobook services with Audible. Great pricing and great selection of books online. I have been very impressed with customer portal. No issues ever and I love Audible's commitment to readers!

Julie Martin Pensacola, FL

I had an account with audible through Amazon briefly. While I liked the concept and idea, the first and only book I tried to listen to, which had great reviews, was way too boring to sit through. Could be that this just a bad first experience.

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

we love audible! It is so easy to use and share books with my family! I listen to books as I go around cleaning or doing yard work. my husband listens as he drives to work. Sometimes it buffers or I have had it stop working but over all great!

Meulenbelt Boston, MA

I love this app, its so fun that I can be listening whenever I want. I really enjoy it specially before I go to sleep. I think its a good investment if you like books, not only as a hobby but for education, and instead of reading you can relax and listen. I think it would be great if the prices were a little lower haha

Mackenzie Gilbert, AZ

I love the content Audible offers and the value is pretty good if you can listen to 1-2 audio books per month. I fell behind and had a hard time catching up. Overall their site is easy to navigate and use.

Brooklyn Pruitt Pleasant Grove, UT

Audible is a great thing to get if you love to read but don't have the time!This is perfect if you enjoy listening to books and finishing them up while still being able to do other things!

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Audible, I have used them many times and they are great when I am going on a long trip, or just when I need to chill out at home. Great selection of books and very easy to use.

Peter Odukwe

I know have 293 books in my Audible library. For me it's easier to listen to books and visualize than listen. The chosen narrator is vital. My go to app. I have found the service excellent at all times

Alison Allen

The choice of books is excellent. One thing that irritates me slightly is the click bait way they sell extra credits. Don’t get me wrong I’ll buy extra credits when I need more books but pretending it’s an offer is slightly shonky. But quality wise and the fact that it finally syncs with my sonos makes it wholly unbeatable.

Martha Sensiba Pinetop-Lakeside, AZ

We just drove 9 hours for a vacation and my husband and I listened to a book from audible. It made the time go by so much faster. There are so many choices of books to choose from.

Mark Frogley Phoenix, AZ

Audible is easy to download and competitively priced. The only thing better than this combination is how easy it is to cancel their service when I don't need it! I love Audible!!!

Tiffany Phoenix, AZ

If you love audio books, Audible is a great company! We have gotten a few books from them and have been very happy with them. They make it very easy to build up a great collection. We weren't using all of our credits and so ended up terminating out subscription because we didn't want to pay for something we weren't using.

Cassidy Gundersen Orem, UT

I’ve used audible a few times to listen to books. I’ve realized that I need to listen to books only when I’m not doing anything. I used to do it while I was working, but then I get so focused on work and realize that I don’t know what just happened in the book. Great service overall though.

Vanessa Call Lehi, UT

Overall I love the ability to listen to audiobooks and the selection. I've never searched for a book, and come up empty. My one complaint is that I would like to listen to more than one or two books a month. I would be much more likely to pay a higher monthly (or even annual) fee so that I had unlimited access to the audiobooks each month. As an Amazon Prime member, I would love to see these combined, so that I can select one option such as 'Amazon Prime + Audible' and pay a higher annual fee than merely pay the fee for one book each month.

Jorden Laird Front Royal, VA

the only problem I have with audible is that I go through books so quickly that I am waiting a long time before another credit is available if I want to avoid paying full price. They do have sales though which makes it much easier for me to read(listen) to my hearts content. App is easy to use and always saves my place. I'm addicted.