eBay is owned by eBay Inc., who also owns PayPal and eBay Enterprise. eBay is one of the world’s largest online marketplaces where customers can buy and sell almost anything; you could call them a powerhouse in the online auction industry. They were founded almost 20 years ago and have over 149 million active buyers all across the globe. Currently, they have over 700 million products listed on their site.

Sam's Club chevron_right
1.5
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
Live Auctioneers chevron_right

The Good

• Largest online auction website
  • Time in business
  • Payment options

Being the largest online auction site on the web, you have a much higher chance of selling your items and products at a competitive price. This is a huge advantage if you are a seller. If you are a buyer, there is an extraordinarily wide range of products to look through. Whatever you are looking for, eBay most likely has it.

They have been in business for nearly two decades. This is plenty of time to gain enough experience to know what consumers are looking for in an online auction site. And while that has been a long enough time to gain a good amount of customer complaints, they have made the time to respond and resolve each and every one of them.

They offer several different payment options. While PayPal falls under eBay Inc., they will definitely know how to resolve any issues while using PayPal.

Their listing options and selling features can't be beat. Consumers basically have the ability to market their products any way they want at the appropriate price.

The Bad

• Higher fees
  • Confusing fee structure
  • Payment restrictions

Their fees are higher than the majority of their competitors. The fee structure could also be confusing to some consumers. Consumers will need to make sure they read and understand it completely before signing into anything.

They have strict restrictions on some payment options. They do not allow bank wire transfers, money orders, or checks.

The Bottom Line

With eBay being the largest auction site on the web, there isn't another auction website out there better for consumers wanting to list their personal items. Although the fees may be a little steep, consumers will definitely have a more likely chance at getting their items sold and at a competitive price.

eBay is also an excellent marketplace for buyers too. Surely, with over 700 million products listed, you can find about anything on their site. We recommend eBay as your go-to auction site.

3.5

John Burnside
June 10th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

eBay is very well established but that can work against you at times. They have become very bureaucratic and cumbersome to deal with if things go wrong. On some items, I have simply given up on getting a refund if it's not delivered. Others required me to write a letter and mail it. That usually gets their attention. Overall, it can be a good resource for finding obsolete or discontinued items. I use it regularly.

ShannonM13
February 21st, 2019 Bronson, TX DETAILS

I purchased a motor through eBay for my Mini. The seller had listed the motor incorrectly and refused to provide a return ticket. To add insult to injury he was also very harassing via email. I sent him proof that the motor was incorrect and he still refused to provide shipping. eBay determined the motor was listed incorrectly and promised a full refund. I have yet to receive it and it's been a month. eBay tells me that I have to now fight with PayPal but I cannot submit a dispute through PayPal bc I did not purchase the item though PayPal. I cannot repair my vehicle bc I've not had a refund of my funds. I even offered to send the motor back when the refund was processed although eBay said I didn't have to and even though this seller was very belligerent. My advice is: Find someone else to purchase your parts through bc this company does not stand by their guarantees and warranties. I let him know the day we received it that it was incorrect. I'm still fighting to get someone to adhere to the policy and guarantee that I was provided upon purchase. It has been very difficult being without a car for so long and very a very difficult and extremely long process to get this corrected. It may not mean much to eBay and this seller but my car is the only transportation I have for myself and my son. My hope and prayer is that nothing emergent happens to either one of us or our pets while I'm waiting on this to be resolved bc we would be out of luck. I think it's a sad day when large companies do things like this to people - all people. For those of you that read this review, please pray for our family. Being without a vehicle bc of this company's refusal to uphold their policies is nerve racking and upsetting.

Tanner Cook
December 17th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

eBay has made it incredibly easy to make extra money on the side. Their platform allows me to easily interact with people across the world to sell my stuff to! I love eBay!

Lisa Hanson
November 5th, 2018 Calabasas, CA DETAILS

Useful as a resource for items and values. Can almost always find what I’m searching for. Appreciate the immediate acquisition option. Pricing usually seems fair, watch for shipping charges too. Have had good luck with receiving items shipped.

Customer
October 8th, 2018 East Hartford, CT DETAILS

Easy to use if you know the normal price of what you are looking for. Buy it now actions make it easier if you are willing to pay a given rate. On bidding, if you read seller reviews, kow your limit and use US only settings, you can do well. Without bid restrictions, a lot comes from over seas and shipping can be MONTHS. This is nothing compared to Amazon Prime.

Thomas Hullinger
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

ebay is a great way to find a deal on almost anything. It is easy to use as you can look for almost anything and once you find it, it is easy to buy right then or go through the excitement of an auction. I like it for selling my things as well.

Hunter Kasprzyk
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

eBay is a great was to sell online quickly. But there are a lot of fees and when trying to buy an item the filters can be quite confusing.

Jacinda E
December 15th, 2017 Sandy, UT

I have used their website multiple times to find some items. Really easy to use. Have not bought anything from eBay yet.

M. Belcher
August 21st, 2017 Sanford, NC

As an occasional, or hobby seller it is not worth the time. If you research eBay's Cassini search engine you will find out that eBay uses an analog formula that rigs the search results to favor their affiliates and "power sellers" over other sellers. In 2005 when I sold my first item i would have given eBay a 10, Now in 2017 they only get a two only because their isn't another viable online market place,

Mike Hugill
May 23rd, 2017 San Jose, CA

Over the years, I have bid and won on everything from my comic book collection, to pedal cars for restoring for my grandkids, to antiques and even collector cars through eBay...and all with total satisfaction! Other companies should use this customer service group as the example on how to run a customer care program.

Michelle
February 3rd, 2017

I've been buying from ebay steadily since 2014, and I find everything about it to be a pleasure. I've only had three items ever arrive broken, and when you contact the seller, they have always immediately refunded me if you snap a picture of the broken item. I have found so many things that I could otherwise not find for sale, and I thoroughly enjoy the whole experience of rating sellers, buying and finding things. Many times there is a buy it now option, which I do prefer over the auction which you have to wait for it to end. Delivery varies - its usually sent by USPS, sometimes overseas parcels too. I rate it a 10 because I love ebay.

MICHELLE
January 16th, 2017 Indianapolis, IN

AS A SELLER THEY GET A ZERO>> Sellers fees are pretty high, then you have PayPal fees on top of that the there is the Guarantee. It goes like this, if a seller offers NO returns & as a buyer on the 29 day after purchase you can break the item and get a full refund. Seller pays for return shipping, the seller can't argue because EBay takes the money right out of the sellers account.