Threat Track is a leader in internet security, with reliable protective technology development as the foundation for VIPRE anti-virus products. Perhaps most notable is the automated malware analysis sandbox, which tests files safety in a realistic virtual environment without threatening a user’s operating system. The company’s real-time, cloud-based threat intelligence informs the way VIPRE’s protection works.
VIPRE’s Internet Security package includes all of the main features we look for in an anti-virus, including social network protection, email protection, independent firewall, and anti-spam. VIPRE scans Facebook pages and alerts you of suspicious links, which protects both the customer and his or her Facebook friends. Several email providers are also protected from malicious links as well as spam in general, whether it’s dangerous or simply annoying. VIPRE comes with its own firewall, which guards your PC and network, which can stand alone or support a firewall you already have. VIPRE also features anti-rootkit technology and search engine results scanning.
VIPRE’s social network protection is great for Facebook, but isn’t yet configured for Twitter, YouTube, or any other social media sharing sites. If Threat Track extended its VIPRE protection to Mac and iOS mobile and tablet users it would open up more opportunities.
Price (*subject to change)
- Internet Security $49.99 (1 PC, 1 year)
- Internet Security $69.99 (10 PCs, 1 year)
- Antivirus $39.99 (1 PC, 1 year)
- Antivirus $59.99 (10 PCs, 1 year)
- Backup CD $9.95
- Premium Mobile Security $19.99 (1 device, 1 year)
Free trial offer
VIPRE products can be downloaded for a 30-day free trial.
- Antivirus – Detects and blocks malware that can steal your personal information
- Online Backup – Stores photos, contacts, and other files online for easy access and transfers
- Anti-Theft – Remotely lock, locate, or wipe your lost or stolen device
- Activity Monitor – Tracks text and call histories, device location, and online footprint
- Social Network Protection – Scans Facebook profile and pages for suspicious links that could lead to malware such as viruses or Trojans
- Email and Chat Protection – Protects against email viruses and threats in Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and any email program using POP3 and SMTP
- Removable Media Scanning – Prevents threats that may be transferred by external devices such as USB flash drives
- Two-Way Firewall – Protects you from internet traffic by guarding your PC and network
- Anti-Spam – Filters out phishing scams, malicious URLs, and other unwanted email
- Safe Searching – Identifies search engine links that could infect your PC
The May 2013 AV-Comparative report gave VIPRE an Advanced award for performance. The operating system was “very fast” in all aspects except in first run file copying and installing applications, where it was simply “fast.” December 2013’s real-world protection test yielded a standard protection score for VIPRE—about average for the industry.
The 2013 AV-Test for VIPRE revealed that the product has good usability as far as false positives go, above industry protection against 0-day and reference set malware attacks, and, interestingly, somewhat lower than average system performance.
Tune-up & Speed
Threat Track does not offer any PC tune-up services, though the company does claim that the product impact on operating system speed is negligible—a claim backed up by AV-Comparative results.
Time in Business
VIPRE’s mother company, Threat Track, was founded as Sunbelt Software 20+ years ago in 1994. (1994)
Threat Track is headquartered in Clearwater, FL.
Threat Track’s customer support service allows you to chat with a live representative or submit a support ticket to reserve your spot for help. There are separate contact numbers listed for sales support and home and consumer support, which are clearly laid out on the website. We appreciate the company’s easily navigable website, including the contact links and knowledge base, which includes webinar recordings and other consumer education resources.
Minimum PC requirements
- Windows XP Service Pack 3 (32- or 64-bit)
- Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (32- or 64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32- or 64-bit)
- Windows 8 (32- or 64-bit)
- 512 RAM
- Android 2.2 and up