VIPRE products are an extension of Threat Track, a security branch of GFI Software. The company began as Sunbelt Software in 1994 and was acquired by GFI Software in 2010. Over the years, Threat Track product development has focused on security solutions for the Windows user base, with anti-spyware and anti-spam features as a part of the initial VIPRE anti-virus launched in 2008. Threat Track is headquartered in Clearwater, FL, with operations in Washington D.C., the Philippines, Spain, and Australia.

AVG Logo AVG ›

8.2

Overall
Score

McAfee Logo McAfee ›

8.0

Overall
Score

Norton by Symantec Logo Norton by Symantec ›

7.4

Overall
Score

VIPRE Logo VIPRE ›

Insufficient
Reviews

The Good

• Reliable technology
  • Great features
  • Social network coverage

Threat Track is a leader in internet security, with reliable protective technology development as the foundation for VIPRE anti-virus products. Perhaps most notable is the automated malware analysis sandbox, which tests files safety in a realistic virtual environment without threatening a user's operating system. The company's real-time, cloud-based threat intelligence informs the way VIPRE's protection works. VIPRE's Internet Security package includes all of the main features we look for in an anti-virus, including social network protection, email protection, independent firewall, and anti-spam. VIPRE scans Facebook pages and alerts you of suspicious links, which protects both the customer and his or her Facebook friends. Several email providers are also protected from malicious links as well as spam in general, whether it's dangerous or simply annoying. VIPRE comes with its own firewall, which guards your PC and network, which can stand alone or support a firewall you already have. VIPRE also features anti-rootkit technology and search engine results scanning.

The Bad

• Limited social network protection
  • Limited Apple coverage

VIPRE's social network protection is great for Facebook, but isn't yet configured for Twitter, YouTube, or any other social media sharing sites. If Threat Track extended its VIPRE protection to Mac and iOS mobile and tablet users it would open up more opportunities.

The Bottom Line

Threat Track's VIPRE anti-virus line is equipped with the features found to be most crucial for computer protection. VIPRE's system performance impact is minimal and its threat protection is powerful. Plus, the multi-device Internet Security option is a steal, protecting up to 10 PCs for the same price some other companies charge you for one PC.

3.5

John Smith
December 14th, 2018 Livonia, MI DETAILS

Best computer and identity security software. Easy to install and use. Helped me fix many issues I had. Previous antivirus software did not catch the virus I had and slowed down my computer.

Bob Amsel
October 5th, 2015 Harrisburg, PA

This is for Vipre Internet Security 2015 Lifetime. Beyond a doubt, this is the most obnoxious and intrusive anti-virus/internet security software I've ever used. I receive constant, annoying messages to inform me that Vipre has protected me from a Trojan virus. I get about 30 or 40 of these balloon messages per day whether I'm online or off, makes no difference. Vipre support has had me scan my entire computer, using VipreRescue. When that didn't help, they had me remove Vipre from my computer and reinstall it. Still, same problem with one improvement, however. At least, I'm not getting the constant Vipre message that I need to restart my computer to get rid of some phony infestation. Vipre has been worse for me than any actual viruses I've had over the years. Currently, I have Vipre turned OFF, and it will probably remain that way until I can find a different anti-virus program to replace it.

Michael
May 1st, 2015

This is a must have program .