VIPRE is a brand of J2 Global which develops cybersecurity products focused on endpoint and email security along with advanced threat intelligence applications. The company began as Sunbelt Software in 1994 and was acquired by GFI Software in 2010. Before becoming VIPRE it distributed products as ThreatTrack Security, a security branch of GFI Software. As of 2017, it concentrates on its VIPRE suite of products and now operates under that name.

Over the years, VIPRE product development has focused on security solutions for the Windows user base, with anti-spyware and anti-spam features as a part of the initial VIPRE antivirus package launched in 2008. VIPRE is headquartered in Clearwater, FL, with operations in Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, The Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway.

VIPRE provides internet security solutions to protect businesses, and home users from cyber threats. Its software portfolio includes comprehensive endpoint and email security, along with threat intelligence for real-time malware analysis. VIPRE solutions deliver easy-to-use, comprehensive, layered defense through cloud-based and server security, with mobile interfaces that enable fast threat response.

VIPRE is an Advanced Technology Partner of Amazon Web Services, and operates globally across North America and Europe.

The Good

• Reliable Technology
  • Great Features
  • Social Network Coverage

Reliable Technology

VIPRE is a leader in internet security, with reliable protective technology development as the foundation for VIPRE antivirus products. Perhaps most notable is the automated malware analysis sandbox, which tests file safety in a realistic virtual environment without threatening a user's operating system. The company's real-time, cloud-based threat intelligence informs the way VIPRE's protection works.

Great Features

VIPRE's Internet Security package includes all of the main features we look for in an anti-virus, including social network protection, email protection, independent firewall, and anti-spam. Customers can also subscribe to a plan that offers advanced features like anti-tracking, webcam and microphone blocking, dark web scanner, and more.

Social Network Coverage

VIPRE scans Facebook pages and alerts you of suspicious links, which protects both the customer and his or her Facebook friends through its Social Watch program. Several email providers are also protected from malicious links as well as spam in general, whether it's dangerous or simply annoying. VIPRE comes with its own firewall, which guards your PC and network, which can stand alone or support a firewall you already have. VIPRE also features anti-rootkit technology and search engine results scanning.

The Bad

Limited Social Network Protection

VIPRE's social network protection is great for Facebook, but isn't yet configured for Twitter, YouTube, or any other social media sharing sites.

The Bottom Line

VIPRE anti-virus line is equipped with the features found to be most crucial for computer protection. VIPRE's system performance impact is minimal and its threat protection is powerful. Plus, the multi-device Internet Security option is a steal, protecting up to 10 PCs for the same price some other companies charge you for one PC.

It also sells VIPRE Advanced Security to Mac users giving it wide appeal. VIPRE offers an easy to use experience that detects and blocks ransomware, trojans, spyware, and viruses.

3.7

John Smith

December 6th, 2018 Livonia, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Best computer and identity security software. Easy to install and use. Helped me fix many issues I had. Previous antivirus software did not catch the virus I had and slowed down my computer.

Bob Amsel

October 5th, 2015 Harrisburg, PA

This is for Vipre Internet Security 2015 Lifetime. Beyond a doubt, this is the most obnoxious and intrusive anti-virus/internet security software I've ever used. I receive constant, annoying messages to inform me that Vipre has protected me from a Trojan virus. I get about 30 or 40 of these balloon messages per day whether I'm online or off, makes no difference. Vipre support has had me scan my entire computer, using VipreRescue. When that didn't help, they had me remove Vipre from my computer and reinstall it. Still, same problem with one improvement, however. At least, I'm not getting the constant Vipre message that I need to restart my computer to get rid of some phony infestation. Vipre has been worse for me than any actual viruses I've had over the years. Currently, I have Vipre turned OFF, and it will probably remain that way until I can find a different anti-virus program to replace it.

Michael

April 30th, 2015

This is a must have program .