The technology behind the product is effective because it analyzes data based on its file source (URL or domain) rather than just on its content (code or hash). Results published by the independent testing lab Veszprog last year show that Trend Micro blocked 72% of threats at their source—while still in the cloud—versus competitors averaging 26 percent of threats blocked. Plus, with cloud protection, files do not need to be downloaded or scanned on your PC, preserving your computer’s bandwidth and computing resources. The cloud-based technology used by Trend Micro might just beat out the traditional, yet effective, methods of scanning at the content level for signature viruses and behaviors.
Trend Micro offers excellent mobile security protection. The premium package is pricier than other mobile apps ($29.99/year), but the comprehensive coverage justifies the cost. The app for Android includes social network protection, theft prevention, safe surfing, a virus scanner, and parental control settings. An app for iPhone and iPad will be available soon. Other extra antivirus product features include an online master password manager and safe file storage.
Trend Micro’s antivirus products have most of the features needed for a good program, but they do not come with their own firewall, as do many competitors. Instead, a firewall booster is included to provide additional protection to the Windows 8 firewall. Trend Micro doesn’t offer a data shredder, either, though the antivirus packages can erase chat histories and other files. The company’s BBB rating is disappointing and doesn’t do much to instill confidence in customer satisfaction.
Price (*subject to change)
- Premium Security $99.95 (1 year, 5 devices-PC, Mac, Android)
- Maximum Security $89.95 (1 year, 3 devices-PC, Mac, Android)
- Internet Security $79.95 (1 year, 3 PCs)
- Antivirus + $44.95 (1 year, 1 PC)
- Internet Security for Mac $39.95 (1 year, 1 Mac)
- Mobile Security $29.99 (1 year)
Free trial offer
All of Trend Micro’s products can be downloaded for a free 30-day trial.
- Scans apps for viruses and spyware
- Continuous protection through cloud scanning
- Remove malware and restore smartphone to normal settings
- Blocks malicious websites
- Parental controls can filter inappropriate websites
- Block texts and calls with whitelist and blacklists
- Facebook privacy setting scanner
- Lost device protection, including location tracker and remote lock and wipe
Trend Micro has a free mobile protection app, but most of the features above are only available with the premium mobile subscription. The company will soon release mobile security specifically designed for iPhone and iPad.
- Browsing Protection – Scans all links for viruses and spyware and locks access to malicious websites
- Web Content Filtering – Allows you to filter unwanted online content while your kids use the internet; monitor kids’ online activities
- Social Networking Privacy Scanning – Alerts you to privacy settings that might compromise your personal information or data and make you vulnerable to identity theft; security help applies to Facebook, Google+, and Twitter
- Firewall Booster – Enhances Windows firewall; provides network vulnerability detection and anti-botnet protection
- Data Protection – Guards your sensitive files in cloud, protecting them from identity thieves and phishers
- Email Protection – Checks for threats in email attachments; blocks spam and phishing scams
- Network Protection – Validates safe WiFi networks and hotspots; prevents unauthorized network access
- Financial Protection – Includes a secure browser for safe online banking
Trend Micro’s Titanium Maximum Security antivirus was tested by both AV-Test and AV-Comparative last year. In the AV-Test, Trend Micro had average usability and performance (impact on computer speed) scores and above average real-world and prevalent malware protection. AV-Comparative gave the product its highest rating for file detection, Advanced+.
Tune-up & Speed
Trend Micro’s top antivirus products optimize computer performance with a system tuning feature. Aside from that, they don’t currently offer other tune-up features or products.
There are lots of complaints filed in this industry, as there are never guarantees with computer security protection. The content of complaint against Trend Micro includes false rebate promises from third parties, the automatic subscription renewal process, and the occasional virus attack and resulting hassle. However, Trend Micro’s poor rating isn’t about the number of complaints they’ve received, but rather the fact that there are several they have not responded to. Even if there’s nothing they can do to placate upset customers, companies can always make a good faith effort to resolve the problem.
The company’s headquarters in Tokyo, Japan. The U.S. headquarters is in Irving, TX.
Trend Micro offers varying levels of customer support according to the user’s subscription. All users can access the online “self-service” which includes FAQs and interactive video solutions. Trial users get additional email support. Those with paid subscriptions get email, chat, and phone support. Premium customer support—24/7 access to Trend Micro specialists—is available for purchase as a separate service.
Operating Systems Supported
- Windows 8 (32 or 64-bit)
- Windows 7 Family (32 or 64-bit)
- Windows Vista Family (32 or 64-bit)
- Windows XP Family (32-bit only)
- 1 GHz CPU
- 1 GB memory
- 500 MB disk space
System Requirements for Mac Security
- Mac OS X version 10.9 or higher (Mavericks)
- Mac OS X version 10.8 or higher (Mountain Lion)
- Mac OS X version 10.7 or higher (Lion)
- CPU Intel Core Processor
- 2 GB memory
- 1.5 GB disk space
Mobile Protection Requirements
- Android OS 2.2 or better
- 13 MB free device space
- 18-65 MB memory
- Also compatible with iOS 7.0 and Kindle Fire OS