Most importantly, Panda covers all of the necessary bases in internet security. Complete with anti-spyware, firewall, social protection, financial identity protection, and anti-spam—with test results to prove its effectiveness in detecting threats—Panda will keep your computer safe. And they offer internet security coverage for a wide range of devices, not just PCs. Panda’s antivirus products are compatible with Windows, MAC, and android devices, including smartphones, tablets, and smartTVs. iPads, iPhones, and iPod touches can all be scanned when connected to a MAC that has Panda Security installed. A great addition is the file storing and sharing feature in Panda’s Gold package, which gives users 20 GB of space to synchronize photos, videos, and other documents across all of their devices.
There are advantages to using protection from a cloud versus from software that runs from your individual computer. The collective intelligence security model utilized by Panda allows for a huge database of virus information to be continuously honed and updated. Each time users come across threats on the internet, they are effortlessly contributing to this database while being protected by the antivirus. Plus, the impact on your PC’s speed is supposed to be minimal. Whereas other antivirus software must be manually updated to keep up with the new malware that pops up over time, the cloud-based protection is always kept current.
There’s nothing lacking as far as security features go, but some customers might be hesitant to try out this relatively new form of antivirus protection. Though the cloud’s performance has been tested and approved by professionals and everyday users, there’s never a guarantee that your device—or even a security product—won’t be compromised by new, digital malicious tactics that are appearing every day.
Price (*subject to change)
- Antivirus Pro $39.99 (covers 1 PC for 1 year)
- Internet Security $59.99 (covers 1 PC for 1 year)
- Global Protection $69.99 (covers 1 PC for 1 year)
- Mobile $14.95 (covers 5 devices for one year)
Free trial offer
All antivirus products can be tested for free in a 30-day trial.
Panda offers antivirus and other protection for Android devices—tablets, smartphones, and smartTVs.
- Internet protection scans for security threats while browsing, shopping, online banking, and using social networks
- Performance optimization manages CPU consumption and app memory usage
- Privacy auditor displays access permissions of installed apps
- Antitheft feature tracks the location of lost or stolen device and allows you to lock it
- Scans SD cards for threats and can wipe data on card
- Cloud Security – The protection is in the cloud, which is constantly being updated, rather than on your hard drive
- Anti-spam – Keeps your inbox free of unsafe and unwanted messages
- Firewall – Fends off intrusion attacks
- Identity Protection – Protects against online fraud and identity theft while you shop and access online banking. Stops data leakage by preventing apps from obtaining confidential information from your computer without your knowledge
- Web Filtering and Social Protection – Scans for malware and blocks dangerous sites while surfing or using social networking sites
- PC Recovery System – Allows you to start your computer in a safe mode and disinfect it in emergencies. This is something that can be shared with whomever you want to help others clean their PC’s, too.
- Parental Controls – Allow you to select which sites or types of sites your child can or cannot access—for example, educational sites or sites with weapons, news, pornography, or drugs. A log keeps track of attempted access.
- File Encryption and Data Shredder – Users can store or eliminate files safely
- Remote PC Access – Allows tech support to assist you if needed and lets you access your PC remotely when you’re away from home
Another useful tool offered in Panda’s Gold Protection package is Syncronized Data. It gives you 20 GB of space to safely store, sync, and share photos, videos, and documents across all of your devices (PC, Mac, IOS, Android, and Blackberry).
The AV-Comparatives’ on-demand file detection test performed in September 2013 gave the free Panda cloud protection an excellent rating, and Panda was right at the top of the list when it comes to detecting viruses. However, along with that, the product also flagged several false positives, meaning it may not be as sophisticated as others in discerning which files are truly threats. In December 2013, Panda was listed as “advanced” in real world protection. AV-Test’s 2013 results revealed Panda’s antivirus had slightly lower than average performance levels as far as influence on computer speed in daily usage. However, its protection from malicious threats was deemed above average and its usability was ranked excellent.
Tune-up & Speed
Panda’s cloud security system is supposed to have minimal impact on performance systems, since the security database is not attached to your computer itself. However, recent AV-Tests haven’t shown a significant difference between the operating speeds of systems with Panda versus other top antivirus products. Regardless, Panda’s gold package includes PC optimization and tune-up as part of the subscription. This feature scans for and removes temporary files, cookies, and other useless files that slow your computer down. Panda also offers remove PC optimization and tune-up services separately.
Time in Business
Panda was founded in 1990 (24+ years).
The company’s headquarters is located in Bilbao, Spain, and the U.S. subsidiary headquarters is in Orlando, FL.
Panda Security offers 24/7 tech support to customers. They can connect remotely to your computer to diagnose whatever the problem is and to offer solution options.
Operating Systems Supported
- Windows 8 (32 & 64 bits)
- Windows 7 (32 & 64 bits)
- Windows Vista (32 7 64 bits)
- Windows XP (32 bits)
- Mac OS X 10.6 or later
- Android 2.2 or later
- Pentium processor 300 MHz or faster
- Mac computer with Intel Core 2 Duo processor
- 128 RAM (1 GB recommended)
- 275 MB free hard drive space (Windows)
- 200 MB free hard drive space (MAC)