NortonLifeLock

5.5

LAST UPDATED: September 10th, 2021

We receive a commission for orders made from the links on this page.

In 1991, after NortonLifeLock acquired Peter Norton Computing, the company launched Norton Antivirus as prevention for the hundreds of foreign virus strains and PC malware that were becoming more and more common. NortonLifeLock's antivirus products have further developed to include malware prevention and removal, anti-spam, anti-phishing, and PC tune-up tools, among other services offered.

The Good

• Tested High
  • Features
  • Parental Controls

Tested High

Independent IT test AV-Test has found NortonLifeLock antivirus to successfully protect against most viruses, worms, and Trojan horses.

Security Features

Norton 360 provides you with powerful layers of protection for your connected devices and online privacy.  Your personal devices and information have protection as you bank, shop and post online, both at home and on-the-go when connecting on Wi-Fi, including public Wi-Fi.  With Dark Web Monitoring Powered by LifeLock, we scan the dark web for your personal information and notify you if we find it.

***Disclaimer: Dark Web Monitoring in Norton 360 plans (without LifeLock) defaults to monitor your email address only. Login in to your account to enter   more information for monitoring purposes. If you are a current LifeLock member, you can manage those settings in the LifeLock member portal.

Should the unexpected happen, you’ll be covered by the Norton Virus Protection Promise to help remove any virus or your money back.

***Disclaimer: Virus Protection Promise: To be eligible, you must have a qualifying subscription and also have purchased, renewed or upgraded that subscription directly from us, or subscribe with automatic renewal. If a Norton expert is unable to remove the virus from your device, then you may receive a refund based on the actual price paid for the current term of your qualifying subscription. If you have a bundle (a qualifying subscription from NortonLifeLock purchased with either another offering from NortonLifeLock, or a third party offering), your refund will be limited to the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price of only your qualifying subscription for the current term, not to exceed the total bundled price paid. Any refund will be net of any discounts or refunds received and less any shipping, handling and applicable taxes, except in certain states and countries where shipping, handling and taxes are refundable. The refund does not apply to any damages incurred as a result of viruses. See  HYPERLINK "http://www.norton.com/guarantee" Norton.com/guarantee for complete details.

Parental Controls

Norton 360 users have full access to Norton Family-one of the most comprehensive parental control products on the market.

The Bad

Conditions

Norton Cloud Backup, Parental Controls, and SafeCam features are only available on Windows.

The Bottom Line

NortonLifeLock offers a variety of virus protection options for PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones and the Norton product line has a loyal customer base. Plus, NortonLifeLock now comes with Identity Theft Protection and VPN for online privacy and enhanced security for all your devices.

not_listed_location

NortonLifeLock Frequently Asked Questions

Why use a VPN?

Online privacy is the main reason people use a VPN. When you browse the internet, you leave a digital footprint of your activity through your Internet Protocol (IP) address. Web browsers typically store this history because tracking cookies and pixels are used to understand your browsing habits and shopping behavior for later use in advertising. In addition, if you’re using public Wi-Fi, you’re on a shared network with other users who could access the information through the shared connection. Using a VPN increases your privacy by hiding your IP address, and secures your online activity by encrypting the data associated with it. When you connect to a VPN, your browsing activity ties to the IP address of the VPN server instead of your own location. Your browsing activity is also encrypted, so the data sent and received in your online activity is encoded and cannot be deciphered without the key. VPN’s are a powerful tool for your online privacy and security arsenal, but it is not a means to complete online anonymity. Websites and those who advertise on them can still see what you are doing on their sites, so some VPN services will come with an ad tracker blocker option built in.

How can I select the best VPN for me?

Selecting the best VPN for your needs starts with considering and understanding what features are most important to you. This might include factors such as speed of service, uptime, or operating system compatibility. There are many VPN services available, so selecting the best one for you can be a challenge. When selecting a VPN provider, consider the following:

Encryption strength (AES-256, typically the same level that banks use) Unlimited data usage Server locations Operating system compatibility Speed of service Uptime Non-logging policy Privacy Policy Support availability Ad tracker blocking

How does backup help in case of ransomware?

Backing up your computer's most important information gives you peace of mind that you'll have a backup of files to restore, just in case you need it. If a cybercriminal encrypts or "locks up" the contents of your computer, you will no longer be able to access them which means they will be lost if you do not make a copy. Especially for your most important files that you don't want to lose, backing up gives you a way to protect your files in case of loss due to ransomware.

What is Norton Safe Web, and why should I use it?

The web is full of useful and entertaining websites that we use every day. The web also has many sites that contain online threats like malware or spyware. The cyberthreat landscape has changed, and there are new cyberthreats that specifically affect web browsers. Norton Safe Web helps you surf, search, and shop more safely online. It analyzes websites that you visit and helps detect if there are any viruses, spyware, malware, or other online threats. Based on the analysis, Norton Safe Web provides ratings of the safety of websites before you visit them. We have added new features to help combat new types of cyberthreats. How can you enjoy the information that the web has to offer while avoiding some of the risks? Norton Safe Web enables you to do both safely.

What is a password manager, and how does it work?

A password manager saves and stores your username, passwords and other credentials, such as your credit card information and address, for online accounts. With Norton Password Manager, you only have to remember one main password, and all your other passwords are stored in a secure, encrypted online vault that you access with that master password. For added security, Norton Password Manager enables you to automatically create and use complex, unique passwords for all your different account login credentials without the difficulty of remembering all of them. Norton Password Manager syncs passwords across devices, between your iOS and Android mobile devices and your PC. When transacting online, all you need to do is simply select the account you want to log into and Norton Password Manager will auto-fill your login information with one click, safely, and securely.

How to select the best password manager?

When selecting the best password manager for your needs, you want to find a quality solution from a trusted provider that enables you to sync passwords across your computer and mobile devices. It is important for you to know that your passwords are stored securely in the cloud and encrypted, and that the company storing them has a good reputation for privacy and security. For the security of your online accounts, Norton Password Manager provides tools to easily create, stores and manages all your passwords, credit card information, and other credentials online — more securely in your very own encrypted, cloud-based vault. With Norton Password Manager, security for your information you can trust from NortonLifeLock, a trusted leader in consumer cybersecurity.

How can you help protect your child on the internet?

Protecting your children while on the internet is a top concern for parents. Fortunately, there are online family safety apps like Norton Parental Control to help you accomplish this and keep your children safe. Norton Parental Control enables parents to keep an eye on what their children are viewing and accessing online, set limits on how much time they spend online, and restrict them from visiting unsuitable websites. Norton Parental Control enables you to set online rules for your kids, and communicate with them within the app. This way, you can teach them to build healthy online habits all while helping to protect them against the dangers that lurk online.

How does Norton Parental Control work?

Norton Parental Control includes a number of online family safety tools for filtering and limit setting. It gives you filtering tools to block inappropriate content so your children can visit websites, watch videos, and use mobile apps within safe boundaries. It lets you view reports on your kids’ online behavior, and can help your kids avoid giving out personal information online. Norton Parental Control allows you to set limits on screen time and monitor your kids’ online behavior, so you can help keep them safe from dangers in the digital world. Features included in Norton Parental Control include:

Apps — Norton Parental Control enables you to view and manage the apps your kids use  Content filtering — Block content you don’t want your kids to view online, either by topic or with a set of rules by your child’s age Videos — See what YouTube.com videos your kids watch Browsing — See what your kids search for, what websites they visit, and block unsuitable sites Location — View a map of your child’s mobile device location history  Ease-of-use — Navigate all these features in an easy-to-use app or web portal

Norton Parental Control includes tools for all of the above features and more.

How does NortonLifeLock find my personal information on the dark web?

The dark web is a set of anonymously hosted websites within the deep web that are accessible through anonymizing software, commonly “TOR” (The Onion Router). Dark web sites include online marketplaces for buying and selling illicit goods, and that include personal information that can be used for identity theft, among other things. We go beyond easily accessible sites and marketplaces, patrolling private forums, social web, deep web, and dark web to detect exposed information and stolen data with our advanced monitoring technology.

Does NortonLifeLock monitor 100% of the dark web and private forums?

Since the dark web changes all the time, no one can guarantee that they monitor 100% of the dark web and private forums. Dark Web Monitoring goes beyond easily accessible sites and marketplaces, infiltrating private forums, social web, deep web, and dark web.

Message from
NortonLifeLock

NortonLifeLock is a global leader in consumer cybersafety. Bringing together decades of experience in cybersecurity and identity theft protection, we are the consumer ally in today’s connected world. NortonLifeLock solutions are powered by one of the world’s largest civilian cyber intelligence networks allowing us to help protect against advanced online threats. More than 50 million members and customers in more than 60 countries trust us with their personal information. We’re dedicated to making it easy for them to keep their connected lives safer while helping to secure their devices, online privacy, identity, and home and family needs.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

4.1

bookmark

Featured Review

David Martin San Diego, CA

NortonLifeLock is the most thorough online personal protection system that I have ever used. I utilized their product for a year and was very impressed by how thoroughly they protected my accounts...alerting me to anything to be suspicious of. They even monitor the dark web for me. Awesome product!

bookmark

Featured Review

Sara Jane Crestwood, KY

Norton has protected our family computers successfully for years. I like the family option that allows me to protect several computers for one price. The updates and scans run senselessly in the background without effecting function.

Amber Williams Salt Lake City, UT

Excellent service, no issues, keeps my data safe

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Norton has been a solid protection tool of my personal computers and laptops. I have been impressed with the safeguards and tools to help protect my machines from internet threats. Norton has been a market leader and it shows in their quality of software services. I have trusted Norton and they always come through? I wouldn't think of any other service. Ever!

Reply from NortonLifeLock

Hello Eddie, Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the product and we’re happy to hear that you are satisfied with Norton LifeLock. Thank you for choosing Norton LifeLock, if at any time you need additional support with your product please feel free to reach out to us and we will be more than happy to assist you. Thanks Raj Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Feb. 6th, 2020

Tracy McMillan Orem, UT

I love that I can use Norton on multiple devices! Norton has always done a great job at protecting my computer and phone. I am alerted quickly when there is an issue and the offer great protection.

Molly Keogh Ogden, UT

Nord has kept our multiple laptops safe. Considering that we have kids of all ages that use the various laptops, you never know what they're downloading on accident or purpose. Norton has kept our computers and information contained thereon safe and secure.

Reply from NortonLifeLock

Hello Molly, Thank you for your review, we’re happy to hear that you have been satisfied with the overall product. Thank you for choosing Norton LifeLock, I hope you have a great day. Raj Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Feb. 21st, 2020

Chaz Phoenixville, PA

I have used Norton for years and have never had any viruses , They have a good set up and when you buy the Product Key Cards near your current expiring account they work great and easy to install. I will continue on using Norton Products.

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

My son was the one to teach myself and his dad about how great Notion was to keep all our information safe and protected. We talked to Norton on the phone and they gladly and so friendly answered every question we had. We were wanting to make sure our son was really aware. He was right they were perfect, helpful, wanted to prove there the best or we could get our money back. We loved what we heard had nothing to lose. It was the Best experience ever!!!!

Andrea Smith Idaho Falls, ID

We used Norton security for our home computers for several years. As far as I know, the security they provided was adequate, but we stopped using them because their customer service and billing were so unethical. For example, the automatic renewal happened every year, even when we canceled it and spoke to them on the phone to confirm; it took multiple phone calls for them to actually solve the problem even after they said it was fixed. After canceling, they still billed us for a new year several times. Our experience was that they hoped customers wouldn't notice the renewal, even after they had a new computer security provider and that the billing could go on undetected.

Dylan Findlay South Jordan, UT

The Norton software always takes care of things on my computer. I have never had a virus and it always notifies me when there is an action I need to take. Great product!

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

Norton is the Anti Virus software that I have on my computer right now and it has run perfectly and since I have never had a problem, has done the trick for me.

Lauraine Pleasant Grove, UT

My family has recently purchased NortonLifeLock to help protect our computers and phones from viruses. It has worked really well for us, and it is really efficient for a parental control on kids' smart phones.

Steven Klaproth Phoenix, AZ

Best protection company to safeguard all of your financial data. Great software and service and guarantees.

Carol Knight Salt Lake City, UT

Norton LifeLock has been a consistent and effective tool for protecting our home computers from malware and viruses.

Anita pea Dallas, TX

Norton life lock was helpful for a while until I decided to move to another. The on call service was helpful but I had a few problems with some of the system!!!

Audrey Mitchell Managua, MN

Downloaded the software for NortonLifeLock and it worked great for years. It would send notifications if there was any suspicious activity or possible viruses.

Reply from NortonLifeLock

Hello Audrey, Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the product and we’re happy to hear that you are satisfied with Norton LifeLock. Thank you for choosing Norton LifeLock, if at any time you need additional support with your product please feel free to reach out to us and we will be more than happy to assist you. Thanks Raj Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Feb. 4th, 2020

Randal hyde Springfield, MO

I like to use Norton for my antivirus needs. They provide you with automatic updates and they are easy to install. It really helps to protect your hardware.

David Lewis Salt Lake City, UT

I have been a Norton customer for about 10 years. Every single year they have tried to increase the amount of money I pay for their services for the exact same services. I have been able to call them every single time this happens and they have lowered it back to the original price, but it has been very annoying to deal with.

Nora Holland Mount Olive, MS

My NortonLifeLock has been protecting my computer since I got it. It always scans anything I download before I open it.

Ninfa Esp San Pedro Sula, CR

It's great, Norton does ensure excellent malware protection without hurting system performance, and offers useful extra tools.

Reply from NortonLifeLock

Hello Ninfa, Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the product and we’re happy to hear that you are satisfied with Norton LifeLock. Thank you for choosing Norton LifeLock, if at any time you need additional support with your product please feel free to reach out to us and we will be more than happy to assist you. Raj Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Jan. 18th, 2020

Amy Boren American Fork, UT

They have done a good job of protecting our computers. Especially on the kid laptop. They tend to go on sites that attract that junk but we haven't had any problems.

Oct. 5th, 2019

Ken Francis Provo, UT

This service is nice. It has procteted my computer. i appreciate the ease of use. Sometimes it tries to update more than I would like.

Sep. 27th, 2019

Aubrey Rentschler Salt Lake City, UT

I've had Norton on my computers for sometime now and have no problem with viruses. I do wish their rates were a little lower though.

H Moore Lehi, UT

We've had Norton on our computers for many years and their security does a great job keeping our computers free of viruses.

Noah Provo, UT

There are so many popups, but it does a fine job at antivirus.

JD Dunklee Norcross, GA

It’s an okay service, but I wouldn’t recommend it. It is not the best for keeping your computer safe. It always has ads that are very inconvenient and very annoying

Danielle Powell Long Beach, MS

Absolutely loved this service. Always felt my computer was protected with fhis installed.

Reply from NortonLifeLock

Hello Danielle, Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the product and we’re happy to hear that you are satisfied with Norton LifeLock. Thank you for choosing Norton LifeLock, if at any time you need additional support with your product please feel free to reach out to us and we will be more than happy to assist you. Thanks Raj Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Feb. 6th, 2020

Allie Powell Long Beach, MS

this was an exceptional company to have protect my computer. The price was great and I felt secure.

Reply from NortonLifeLock

Hello Allie, Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the product and we’re happy to hear that you are satisfied with Norton LifeLock. Thank you for choosing Norton LifeLock, if at any time you need additional support with your product please feel free to reach out to us and we will be more than happy to assist you. Thanks Raj Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Jan. 30th, 2020

Armina FALKENRATH New York, NY

ITs good and its free.. but i tried to remove it.. and it was soo hard and complicated that i thought it was a virus.. maybe i did something wrong.. just a bad experience

Jon Moreno Sandy, UT

We always use Norton for our security and love how easy and secure the service is. Recommend for sure!

SnowballH Salt Lake City, UT

Great antivirus software! Has help block our computer from so many viruses and spyware.

Reply from NortonLifeLock

Hello, Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the product and we’re happy to hear that you are satisfied with Norton LifeLock. Thank you for choosing Norton LifeLock, if at any time you need additional support with your product please feel free to reach out to us and we will be more than happy to assist you. Thanks Raj Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Feb. 4th, 2020

S Logan, UT

Worked just fine however it was impossible to get off my computer after my subscription was up. Very annoying

Reply from NortonLifeLock

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. Are you still having any trouble in removing your Norton? If so, let us know here or contact our support at: We will be more than happy to help. Raj Norton LifeLock Member Services & Support

Sep. 27th, 2019

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

Best Antivirus out there. If you have a question customer service is very friendly to help.

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

I use Norton on all my computers and have never had a problem with the security of my computer.

Maryayb Draper, UT

Somehow I ended up with 2 subscriptions and both keep automatically charging my credit card. Customer service seems to be having trouble merging these accounts

Kristin Pleasant Grove, UT

I would highly recommend this product we have never had a problem with security!

JRosa Lehi, UT

I use Norton and have never had any issues with the program. My computer is virus free.

Dallin Smith Kaysville, UT

I'm no computer expert, but I use Norton and I haven't had a virus yet.

Jeffrey Foutz American Fork, UT

I didn't get any viruses, so it worked. It kept me and my files safe from any malicious activity.

Jefferson Farmer Provo, UT

Norton is supposed to protect your computer from viruses, but essentially is a virus in itself. It slows down your computer like Pepto Bismol slows the runs.

Jeff Martin Layton, UT

Wonderful product with great support teams. Love the security

Michael Ogden, UT

Great way to keep your computer and info safe

Hayden Danger Barton Layton, UT

Great security company would recommended

Hannah Cummins Gilbert, AZ

This service is hard to use and slows down your computer significantly. Very frustrating.

L. Fowler Pleasant Grove, UT

It came with my internet service and seems to do just fine.

Tom Rhoton Alpine, UT

Symantec used to be a market leader, but is now a lagger. The whitelisting approach is outdated.

Dallin Provo, UT

I have not had a great experience with Norton they are almost as bad as a virus