Norton by Symantec

Norton by Symantec Logo

Norton by Symantec

32 Years of Experience

Norton by Symantec antivirus and internet security products are developed by the Symantec Corporation, which was founded in 1982. In 1991, after acquiring Peter Norton Computing, the company launched Norton Antivirus as prevention for the hundreds of foreign virus strains and PC malware that were becoming more and more common. Symantec's antivirus products have further developed to include malware prevention and removal, anti-spam, anti-phishing, and PC tune-up tools, among other services offered.

The Good

• Tested high
  • Great features
  • Parental control

Independent IT test AV-Test has found Norton antivirus to successfully protect against most viruses, worms, and Trojan horses. Norton's coverage includes extensive web protection, frequent virus definition updates, a Facebook threat scanner, and a community reputation database. Whereas some antivirus products idle when the PC isn't in use, Norton is continually on guard with updates. Norton's app remediation removes threats from Windows 8 apps and the Power Eraser download can find and remove infections on your PC. Another perk is an automatic backup feature, which automatically backs up important files to disc, USB device, or online. Finally, Norton 360 users have full access to Norton Family-one of the most comprehensive parental control products on the market.

The Bad

• Customer complaints
  • Higher cost

Unfortunately, even a PC protected by an antivirus can be infected by malware. Some Norton users have complained about viruses that somehow infected their computer despite having stayed on top of their antivirus subscriptions. Only a few of Norton's listed product prices include virus removal and premium technical support. Norton One is worth a look, even though it costs a little more than the average in the industry, it protects multiple devices and comes with a 100% virus removal guarantee.

The Bottom Line

Symantec offers a variety of virus protection options for PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones. Even though some of its IT test performance results have been inconsistent at times, the Norton product line has substantial security features and a loyal customer base. We think Norton could be a great fit for several customers.

3.9

Randal hyde
November 6th, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS

I like to use Norton for my antivirus needs. They provide you with automatic updates and they are easy to install. It really helps to protect your hardware.

Dylan Findlay
August 28th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

The Norton software always takes care of things on my computer. I have never had a virus and it always notifies me when there is an action I need to take. Great product!

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We Norton security with our internet company and it has been such a life saver. I feel like my computer is protected and that it is safe to use on a daily basis.

Thomas Hullinger
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Norton is the Anti Virus software that I have on my computer right now and it has run perfectly and since I have never had a problem, has done the trick for me.

Hannah Cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

This service is hard to use and slows down your computer significantly. Very frustrating.

Sara Jane
July 26th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

Norton has protected our family computers successfully for years. I like the family option that allows me to protect several computers for one price. The updates and scans run senselessly in the background without effecting function.

H Moore
June 5th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

We've had Norton on our computers for many years and their security does a great job keeping our computers free of viruses.

Avery Fowler
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

It came with my internet service and seems to do just fine.

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Best Antivirus out there. If you have a question customer service is very friendly to help.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I would highly recommend this product we have never had a problem with security!

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I use Norton on all my computers and have never had a problem with the security of my computer.

David Lewis
May 1st, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I have been a Norton customer for about 10 years. Every single year they have tried to increase the amount of money I pay for their services for the exact same services. I have been able to call them every single time this happens and they have lowered it back to the original price, but it has been very annoying to deal with.

Tom Rhoton
May 1st, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Symantec used to be a market leader, but is now a lagger. The whitelisting approach is outdated.

JRosa
April 30th, 2018 Lehi, UT

I use Norton and have never had any issues with the program. My computer is virus free.

Dallin
April 30th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have not had a great experience with Norton they are almost as bad as a virus

Dallin Smith
April 25th, 2018 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

I'm no computer expert, but I use Norton and I haven't had a virus yet.

Jeffrey Foutz
April 23rd, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I didn't get any viruses, so it worked. It kept me and my files safe from any malicious activity.

Maryayb
April 18th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

Somehow I ended up with 2 subscriptions and both keep automatically charging my credit card. Customer service seems to be having trouble merging these accounts

Andrea S
April 16th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

We used Norton security for our home computers for several years. As far as I know, the security they provided was adequate, but we stopped using them because their customer service and billing were so unethical. For example, the automatic renewal happened every year, even when we canceled it and spoke to them on the phone to confirm; it took multiple phone calls for them to actually solve the problem even after they said it was fixed. After canceling, they still billed us for a new year several times. Our experience was that they hoped customers wouldn't notice the renewal, even after they had a new computer security provider and that the billing could go on undetected.

Jefferson Farmer
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Norton is supposed to protect your computer from viruses, but essentially is a virus in itself. It slows down your computer like Pepto Bismol slows the runs.

Michael
April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT

Great way to keep your computer and info safe

Hayden Danger Barton
April 16th, 2018 Layton, UT

Great security company would recommended

Jeff Martin
April 12th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Wonderful product with great support teams. Love the security

Anne Marie Milne
April 10th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

My son was the one to teach myself and his dad about how great Notion was to keep all our information safe and protected. We talked to Norton on the phone and they gladly and so friendly answered every question we had. We were wanting to make sure our son was really aware. He was right they were perfect, helpful, wanted to prove there the best or we could get our money back. We loved what we heard had nothing to lose. It was the Best experience ever!!!!

Armina FALKENRATH
December 21st, 2017 New York, NY DETAILS

ITs good and its free.. but i tried to remove it.. and it was soo hard and complicated that i thought it was a virus.. maybe i did something wrong.. just a bad experience

Chaz
June 20th, 2017 Phoenixville, PA

I have used Norton for years and have never had any viruses , They have a good set up and when you buy the Product Key Cards near your current expiring account they work great and easy to install. I will continue on using Norton Products.

Aubrey Rentschler
June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've had Norton on my computers for sometime now and have no problem with viruses. I do wish their rates were a little lower though.