McAfee, founded in 1987, is a well-known cybersecurity solutions company that offers award-winning antivirus software to individuals, families, and enterprises.

McAfee® Total Protection is the company’s premium antivirus product. This product is designed to help consumers secure and protect their personal devices and information from various cyber criminals and threats.

he company offers the following three consumer-based McAfee® Total Protection subscription packages:

• The Single Device package
  • The Individual and Couples (up to 5 devices) package
  • The Family (up to 10 devices) package

Each package that is listed above includes a one-year subscription and offers many different features in addition to antivirus software including home network security, safe web browsing, encrypted storage, secure VPN, and more.
Read on to learn more about McAfee® Total Protection and to see real customer McAfee reviews.

The Good

• Multiple Service Options
  • 30-Day Free Trial
  • 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
  • 24/7 Customer Support

Multiple Service Options

McAfee offers extensive security software for a variety of devices, including PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones.
As previously mentioned, the company offers three consumer-based McAfee® Total Protection subscription packages.

These packages include:

• Single Device — This package costs $29.99 for one device for the first year subscription. This package involves antivirus software, secure VPN, performance optimization, home network security, access to security experts and online support, access to a secure password manager and McAfee® Shredder™, safe web browsing, and encrypted storage.
  • Individual and Couples — This package costs $34.99 for five devices for the first year subscription. In addition to what is offered in the Single Device package, this package also offers multi-device compatibility and identity theft protection.
  • Family — This package costs $39.99 for 10 devices for the first year subscription. This package includes everything from the Individuals and Couples subscription and is designed to help consumers protect their entire families on just one subscription plan.

Each subscription package that the company offers lasts for one year.

Consumers should note that some of the features within the packages mentioned above are only available if customers are enrolled in the company’s auto-renewal service.

30-Day Free Trial

Those interested in McAfee® Total Protection can try the service for free for 30 days. According to the company’s corporate website, with this 30-day free trial, consumers can obtain antivirus scans and can get threats removed before they pay for a yearly subscription service.

Additionally, the company’s free trial lets consumers protect up to 10 devices including devices that are Windows, Mac OS, iOS, or Android.

McAfee’s website also states that the company does not require credit card information from consumers who wish to obtain a free service trial.

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee

McAfee offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to customers who are not satisfied with the company’s services.
In order to obtain a full refund, customers can contact the company’s customer support team and request a refund or they can fill out and submit a “request a refund” form that can be found on the company’s website.

It’s important to remember that customers can only request and receive a refund within 30 days of purchasing a McAfee product.

24/7 Customer Support

In addition to a 30-day money-back guarantee, McAfee provides around-the-clock customer support services.
Consumers can get in contact with a security expert at any time. These security experts can help consumers who are in need of technical assistance, who want to request a refund, who need help with their account, and more.

The Bad

• Second-Year Subscription Price Increase
  • Renewal System Inconvenience

Second-Year Subscription Price Increase

In terms of subscription pricing for McAfee® Total Protection, the company appears to charge a higher rate for the second-year subscription.

These second-year subscription price increases may be more than what some consumers are willing to pay in comparison to the prices that are set for the first-year subscription.

Consumers who are signed up for auto-renewal may want to pay close attention to the second-year subscription prices before their subscription is automatically renewed.

Renewal System Inconvenience

There have been complaints about McAfee's default subscription auto-renewal system, which automatically re-subscribes customers for another year of service once the subscription is over.

It appears to be a simple-enough process to turn the auto-renewal system off, but some might consider that an inconvenience.

According to the company’s website, customers can take the following steps to turn off the auto-renewal system:

• Select “My Account” at the top of the page
  • Click “Auto-Renewal Settings”
  • Follow the instructions on the page

Consumers may also find it inconvenient that some service features are only provided if they are part of the company’s renewal subscription system.

The Bottom Line

McAfee is a well-known, trusted brand to consider for computer protection. The software performance measures up to that of competitors, and protection is available for most operating systems and devices.

3.5

Boston Whipple

July 20th, 2018 Provo, UT

McAfee pops up every time I restart my laptop and slows the start time significantly. It frequently wants me to update or upgrade. I haven't had any issues with viruses but I have multiple sets of anti-virus software.

Ruth Anne Bright

July 19th, 2018 Mount Washington, KY

This is a very good product for the home computer. It provided me excellent protection and alerts when needed. Very easy to install and update.

Cody Linden

July 19th, 2018 Lehi, UT

This is the protection software that is currently on my computer and I have zero complaints. Protects my computer and doesn't make a hassle about it.

Bella Houtz

May 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

McAfee has the best customer service and a great staff!

L. Fowler

May 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used it several years ago, but it seems to have been a good quality product.

Ashley

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very reliable company but it is also one of the most expensive as well

Kristin

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been very happy with this product, when I have had a question the customer service was very helpful.

Tom

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used McAfee in the past and I have been very pleased with the products they have to offer for security.

K Robison

April 28th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I started on a free trial and decided to use it for all of my computers. I have had no issues with service. I would recommend to others

Jeff Martin

April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT

Had a free one month trial it went smoothly. Good antivirus protection but I think it is a little pricey compared to its competitors. I would suggest looking elsewhere before settling on McAfee.

Sandy

April 14th, 2018 Seaside, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We loaded it on our computer, and basically crashed our computer. We had to delete it. Not happy.

Hayden Danger Barton

April 14th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great security. Definitely recommend!!

Anne Marie Milne

April 10th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the McAfee virus protection. We use it on all our computers. My son is the one who introduced me to McAfee and it has not let me down at all it's wonderful product. The Price is Right for what it does. I'd recommend it to anybody that has a computer. My mother-in-law uses it and so does my daughter it's a wonderful wonderful product.

Trent

April 7th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It slowed my computer down a ton, and I can't delete it from my computer. Also, every time it runs a scan, my computer freezes. There is free software that does the same thing, so I would not recommend this to a friend.

Landon Robison

April 7th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used McAfee for all of my computers and have never had any issues. It is inexpensive and a good way to ensure your device is secured and protected.

Skip T

November 6th, 2017 Lima, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I think it does ok but it slows my PC. And they also pop up a lot when it’s time to renew.

Kenneth Okerlund

May 26th, 2017

I stopped using Mcafee after my trial period with them ended. I have been pretty on top of which antivirus software I want and I wasn't too happy with what they offered nor their pricing.

Stephen C. Taffe

September 20th, 2016 Windsor, CT

It slows down the computer even on startup and takes priority over every program and to stop the scanning is difficult. Also the full scan takes a very, very, very long time. I have scanned back to back to see if there was a real threat and if it was eliminated which, it seemed to say I had a virus every time or I needed a repair with some software, command issue. So I never knew if it was doing something or just pretending.

Laurie Carleton

May 6th, 2015 Tyler, TX

A free trial of McAfee came on my new computer. After the free trial I bought it for a year. It's awful. It always turns itself off. I've had at least 6 attacks on my computer that it didn't prevent. The first couple they helped out. After that they wanted to send me to a special "virus" team and upcharge me over and above what I had already paid for them to prevent. Don't recommend them AT ALL and will not renew.

hasmat ali

April 21st, 2015 Sacramento, CA

McAFee youguys left me in the middle of the road,with out informing me anything,youguys told me to pay 19,99 for one year service,and I paid it,but still McAFee youguys left me hanging,i talk to the service rep,she was one crazy customers service rep,i gave all the information she needed but still ,I didn't get no help,i have no security system working in my pc,and youguys keep popping up 5 to ten times daily,and not doing nothing,i trusted youguys McAFee and see what youguys done to me,thanks a lot.

Frank

April 20th, 2015 Clearwater, FL

I have the enterprise, and the feeling of security is mind calming. There are so many threats that could give you months of grief.

Lois Shelton

April 17th, 2015 Dandridge, TN

It keeps telling me I am not secure! I darn well better be!!!!!!!!!!!

John

April 16th, 2015 Albuquerque, NM

I have now used the McAfee ALLACCESS service for 4 days. It started blocking all my LIVE and OUTLOOK mail, treating as spam. Took me several hours to find the correct settings. Also keeps removing (losing my homepage (even though I have a lock on it). Have tried to look for support on this, and it just takes me to a purchase another product page to fix this. I thought ALLACCESS was all-inclusive of McAfee services. Evidently not!! I got this because my son, who is an IT specialist recommended it to me. I have been dealing with computers since pc's first started coming out. But so far this product is very difficult to fine tune the setup , other than the default settings that it installs. Getting very frustrated and may just go back to MS Security essentials. Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone at this point.

klaus griffis

April 16th, 2015 Laurens, SC

good and bad.good the 1st year.bad the 2nd yeari was automatically charge but it still keeps telling me that i need to buy it to get coverage. i'm trying to cancel it,but can not get a hold of anybody.

sarah richards

April 16th, 2015 Cypress, TX

McAfee is the best

Teresa Martin

April 16th, 2015 Hartselle, AL

I would never recommend this product. Since installing, my computer has all but stopped working. It keeps telling me I do not have web protection and to buy now. You have to go around the world to get to your account to put in your verification code. There is no where for tech support. I miss Norton. They are so much more helpful. After the initial installation, BING ( which seems to be hated by everyone) showed up on my computer. I can only assume that it was installed with McAfee and impossible to remove. I would NOT recommend this product for any reason.

Barbara Field

April 15th, 2015 Zebulon, NC

I experienced a continuous problem with the Java and Adobe starting in Oct/Nov 2014. After scheduling numerous appts for repair (which were never answered at time scheduled) the problem continued and continued and continued. I originally paid $60.00 for this repair and to date the problem is STILL NOT REPAIRED.

Garth

April 15th, 2015 Clayton, IN

I used McAfee a few years ago, in one years time I had to format my hard drive 4 times to get rid of virus' that McAfee wouldn't. no Customer support. Then I tried Norton 360, it was just as bad. Now I'm using Webroot it's been the best so far.

John

April 14th, 2015 Albuquerque, NM

Purchased the "ALL ACCESS" version with unlimited license. After a successful download to my primary pc, have been unable to download it to my second laptop. It just says "no internet or Mcafee server unavailable". Would not download to my Windows 8 tablet or my android phone. Had to use the "free app" that is available for each device, and not sure if they are as secure as "ALL ACCESS".Meantime, even though I have pop-up blocker on, I am seeing and increase in pop-ups and known suspicious websites are also popping up. After 2 days, it's shaky, but will try it a while longer. Got it because my son told me it worked great on his equipment.

Celeste Redic

April 14th, 2015 Livonia, NY

This is the best Anti virus software I have ever had

Johnny

April 13th, 2015 Austin, TX

McAfee would not download on my computer for renewal even after using it for years. Customer service unable to help.

Anne Burroughs

April 12th, 2015 Leesburg, FL

I have used McAfee for several years.I was satisfied until they took out of our checking account for auto renewal when we did not authorize it.When i called customer service ,One person i talked to tried to sell me a subscription for 49.95 then in the same conversation she changed the amount to 19.95.All i wanted was for her to put the money back into our account.After that i cancelled my subscription and went to a different company.

Julie

April 8th, 2015 High Springs, FL

It's fine UNTIL you have a problem & need an operator to help you. Then I was on hold for about 45 minutes, then after speaking to an operator, I was put on hold another 30 minutes. THEN when I finally get an operator, I'm informed it's going to cost me $189 to $250 to have whatever done to fix the computer. And all I called about was it running slow & getting popups, telling me that I was running out of Disc Space on the HP Tools "E" drive thing. Soooo needless to say ASA my subscription runs out I will not be renewing it!!

kevin jones

April 8th, 2015 Ohatchee, AL

great antivirous software

Kay Richardson

April 6th, 2015 Chapin, SC

It took 2 days for it to complete a scheduled scan on my laptop. This has been happening frequently.

mohamad issa

April 5th, 2015 Arlington, TX

last year I buy macfee antivirus and u guys u did not sent to me the mail in rebat

Frank

April 3rd, 2015 Clearwater, FL

I purchased McAfee Enterprise and I'm still getting notices to buy on my tablets, it was supposed to cover all three , desktop, and tablets !

randy monroe

April 2nd, 2015 Tulsa, OK

works good,helpful service the best i have used.

daryl priest

March 20th, 2015 Hickory, NC

average, not highly recommended

Bob

February 6th, 2015 Calabasas, CA

crap and terrible, just don't use it go for avast! or some other free software that actually grants detection

Brad

August 20th, 2014 Evansville, IN

Overall I like it. It can really bog memory down when it is doing updates or scanning. I think the price is getting ridulous especislly since I have been using it for so many yrs. It would be great if they had a customer loyalty discount for the yearly subscriptions. I think its a geat product tho and has kept my computers virus free.

Aron

May 4th, 2014 Columbia, SC

I had two viruses using McAfee software on two different laptops.Would have figured I would learn after the first virus.(BUT NO) I used it again only to get another virus plus malware on the second laptop.I wont use it again

DONNA SUMMERS

April 5th, 2014

Pretty basic, and easy to use, but nothing special.

Jeff

March 24th, 2014

I have used mcafee off an on for almost 20 years! Back in 90's there weren't as many antivirus companies, but they've doing it forever. One time I got an infected file from a friend and when tried to put in on my PC mcafee caught it and didn't let the file transfer. Pretty cool!