- Variety of devices
- Great features
- Ad protection
McAfee offers extensive security software for a variety of devices, including PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones. The company sells a variety of other products and services, such as PC utilities and troubleshooting services. McAfee also runs daily security tests on certain websites, protecting site operators and users from identity theft, credit fraud, adware, spam, and scams.
The software has all the basic features you would expect from an antivirus company, as well as some attractive “extras.” It protects computer files, email, and web downloads from known viruses, worms, Trojans, and spyware with tested accuracy and reliability, detecting 100% of the AV-Test reference set of widespread malware. The firewall has buffer overflow protection for the most vulnerable situations, preventing software exploits in hotspots. McAfee’s ad protection detects
hidden iFrame code, which stops cybercrime network ads from loading, and most of the products have identity security and parental controls. Additionally, McAfee’s All Access package offers complete mobile protection, password manager, and secure cloud storage.
- Low score
- Renewal system issues
When it comes to detecting new threats, no antivirus product is perfect. McAfee actually scored lower than average in AV-Test’s “Real World” testing of 0-day malware attacks, even though the tests within AV-Comparatives have indicated that McAfee is “advanced” in that area. McAfee is a long-standing antivirus company, but that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily on the cutting edge of virus detection.
There have been complaints about McAfee’s default subscription renewal system, which automatically re-subscribes customers for another year of service once the subscription is over. It’s simple enough to turn the renewal off, but some might consider that an inconvenience. (By the way, if your subscription is automatically renewed you can contact customer support for a refund within 60 days, and McAfee will refund the full subscription price!)
Price (*subject to change)
McAfee’s antivirus products have a one-year subscription minimum. Yearly subscriptions are automatically renewed unless the customer opts out.
Prices vary according to the comprehensiveness of the coverage.
- All Access: $44.99/year (unlimited device protection, including protection for PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets)
- Antivirus Plus: $24.99/year (protects 1 computer)
Free trial offer
Each of McAfee’s antivirus products is available for a 30-day free trial download. In addition, there is a 30-day money-back guarantee for any purchase that is made.
McAfee’s All Access package offers smartphone/tablet protection in the following areas:
- Scans files, SD cards, apps, and Internet downloads for viruses, adware, and spyware
App Protection and Safe Surfing for Android
- Blocks phishing sites, browser exploits, and risky links in texts, emails, social sites, and QR codes
- Tracks apps accessing user’s private data, location, and device details
Call and SMS blocking
- Blocks mobile spammers, incorrect numbers, and unwanted texts
- You can lock, back up, restore, or wipe your smartphone or tablet to protect your data as you track and recover a lost or stolen device
All of McAfee’s antivirus products have the following features:
- Anti-malware Scanning
- Anti-bot Protection
- Two-Way Firewall
- Malicious Ad Protection
- Safe Web Browsing
- Social Media Protection
- Vulnerability Scanner (seals up holes in Windows and apps to prevent infection)
- Digital Data Shredder (erases cookies, memory, cache, and browser history)
- Wireless Open Network Protection (protects passwords and personal files)
- Parental Controls and Surf Report (all antivirus products except basic)
Additionally, McAfee’s All Access package includes a username and password manager, secure cloud storage, and touch-friendly interface for tablets and smartphones.
The 2013-2014 AV-Test results for McAfee’s antivirus scanner yielded excellent scores in protection, performance, and usability. In 2013, McAfee was given the “Advanced” Real World Protection status by AV-Comparatives along with the 2013 Silver Award for phishing protection.
Tune-up & Speed
All of McAfee’s home antivirus products offer a PC Tune-up feature, which detects and removes unused applications, cached browser files, and other junk to improve the speed of your PC. The antivirus scanning engine itself checks for threats quickly without compromising much battery performance, so your computer doesn’t have to take too hard of a hit for installing an antivirus service. This was determined in AV-Test’s 2013 performance analysis, which ranked McAfee’s impact on computer speed—in visiting websites and installing programs, for example—as slightly better than average.
For a more comprehensive tune-up, including improving system boot time and scheduling automatic defragmentation, McAfee sells products specific to PC performance.
McAfee’s headquarters is located in Santa Clara, CA.
McAfee offers customer service assistance 24/7 through chat, email, and phone. Customers also have access to unlimited technical support for the life of their product subscription.
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP SP3 or higher (32-bit)
- Windows Vista SP1 (32- and 64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32- and 64-bit)
- Windows 8 (32- and 64-bit)
- Windows 8.1 (32- and 64-bit)
McAfee’s All Access package supports these additional systems:
- Mac OS X 10.7 or higher
- Google Android smartphones and tablets 2.3 and 4.0 (runs on Kindle Fire Devices)
- BlackBerry 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0
- iOS 5 or higher (only supported by the SafeKey password manager)
- 512 MB RAM for XP
- 2 GB RAM for Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1
- 500 MB free drive space
- 1 GHz processor