McAfee

McAfee

McAfee is a big name in antivirus computer protection, and for good reasons. With over 5,000 employees, it is the world's largest company that is dedicated solely to security technology. The company was founded in 1987 after programmer John McAfee began working on software that would combat computer viruses.

The Good

• Variety of devices
  • Great features
  • Ad protection

McAfee offers extensive security software for a variety of devices, including PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones. The company sells a variety of other products and services, such as PC utilities and troubleshooting services. McAfee also runs daily security tests on certain websites, protecting site operators and users from identity theft, credit fraud, adware, spam, and scams.

The software has all the basic features you would expect from an antivirus company, as well as some attractive "extras." It protects computer files, email, and web downloads from known viruses, worms, Trojans, and spyware with tested accuracy and reliability, detecting 100% of the AV-Test reference set of widespread malware. The firewall has buffer overflow protection for the most vulnerable situations, preventing software exploits in hotspots. McAfee's ad protection detects
hidden iFrame code, which stops cybercrime network ads from loading, and most of the products have identity security and parental controls. Additionally, McAfee's All Access package offers complete mobile protection, password manager, and secure cloud storage.

The Bad

• Low score
  • Renewal system issues

When it comes to detecting new threats, no antivirus product is perfect. McAfee actually scored lower than average in AV-Test's "Real World" testing of 0-day malware attacks, even though the tests within AV-Comparatives have indicated that McAfee is "advanced" in that area. McAfee is a long-standing antivirus company, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily on the cutting edge of virus detection.

There have been complaints about McAfee's default subscription renewal system, which automatically re-subscribes customers for another year of service once the subscription is over. It's simple enough to turn the renewal off, but some might consider that an inconvenience. (By the way, if your subscription is automatically renewed you can contact customer support for a refund within 60 days, and McAfee will refund the full subscription price!)

The Bottom Line

McAfee is a well-known, trusted brand to consider for computer protection. The software performance measures up to that of competitors, and protection is available for most operating systems and devices. After researching the product and company, we recommend McAfee as top-of-the-line.

28 McAfee Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

May 26th, 2017

I stopped using Mcafee after my trial period with them ended. I have been pretty on top of which antivirus software I want and I wasn't too happy with what they offered nor their pricing.

September 20th, 2016 Windsor, CT

It slows down the computer even on startup and takes priority over every program and to stop the scanning is difficult. Also the full scan takes a very, very, very long time. I have scanned back to back to see if there was a real threat and if it was eliminated which, it seemed to say I had a virus every time or I needed a repair with some software, command issue. So I never knew if it was doing something or just pretending.

May 6th, 2015 Tyler, TX

A free trial of McAfee came on my new computer. After the free trial I bought it for a year. It's awful. It always turns itself off. I've had at least 6 attacks on my computer that it didn't prevent. The first couple they helped out. After that they wanted to send me to a special "virus" team and upcharge me over and above what I had already paid for them to prevent. Don't recommend them AT ALL and will not renew.

April 21st, 2015 Sacramento, CA

McAFee youguys left me in the middle of the road,with out informing me anything,youguys told me to pay 19,99 for one year service,and I paid it,but still McAFee youguys left me hanging,i talk to the service rep,she was one crazy customers service rep,i gave all the information she needed but still ,I didn't get no help,i have no security system working in my pc,and youguys keep popping up 5 to ten times daily,and not doing nothing,i trusted youguys McAFee and see what youguys done to me,thanks a lot.

April 20th, 2015 Clearwater, FL

I have the enterprise, and the feeling of security is mind calming. There are so many threats that could give you months of grief.

April 17th, 2015 Dandridge, TN

It keeps telling me I am not secure! I darn well better be!!!!!!!!!!!

April 16th, 2015 Albuquerque, NM

I have now used the McAfee ALLACCESS service for 4 days. It started blocking all my LIVE and OUTLOOK mail, treating as spam. Took me several hours to find the correct settings. Also keeps removing (losing my homepage (even though I have a lock on it). Have tried to look for support on this, and it just takes me to a purchase another product page to fix this. I thought ALLACCESS was all-inclusive of McAfee services. Evidently not!! I got this because my son, who is an IT specialist recommended it to me. I have been dealing with computers since pc's first started coming out. But so far this product is very difficult to fine tune the setup , other than the default settings that it installs. Getting very frustrated and may just go back to MS Security essentials. Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone at this point.

April 16th, 2015 Laurens, SC

good and bad.good the 1st year.bad the 2nd yeari was automatically charge but it still keeps telling me that i need to buy it to get coverage. i'm trying to cancel it,but can not get a hold of anybody.

April 16th, 2015 Cypress, TX

McAfee is the best

April 16th, 2015 Hartselle, AL

I would never recommend this product. Since installing, my computer has all but stopped working. It keeps telling me I do not have web protection and to buy now. You have to go around the world to get to your account to put in your verification code. There is no where for tech support. I miss Norton. They are so much more helpful. After the initial installation, BING ( which seems to be hated by everyone) showed up on my computer. I can only assume that it was installed with McAfee and impossible to remove. I would NOT recommend this product for any reason.

April 15th, 2015 Zebulon, NC

I experienced a continuous problem with the Java and Adobe starting in Oct/Nov 2014. After scheduling numerous appts for repair (which were never answered at time scheduled) the problem continued and continued and continued. I originally paid $60.00 for this repair and to date the problem is STILL NOT REPAIRED.

April 15th, 2015 Clayton, IN

I used McAfee a few years ago, in one years time I had to format my hard drive 4 times to get rid of virus' that McAfee wouldn't. no Customer support. Then I tried Norton 360, it was just as bad. Now I'm using Webroot it's been the best so far.

April 14th, 2015 Albuquerque, NM

Purchased the "ALL ACCESS" version with unlimited license. After a successful download to my primary pc, have been unable to download it to my second laptop. It just says "no internet or Mcafee server unavailable". Would not download to my Windows 8 tablet or my android phone. Had to use the "free app" that is available for each device, and not sure if they are as secure as "ALL ACCESS".Meantime, even though I have pop-up blocker on, I am seeing and increase in pop-ups and known suspicious websites are also popping up. After 2 days, it's shaky, but will try it a while longer. Got it because my son told me it worked great on his equipment.

April 14th, 2015 Livonia, NY

This is the best Anti virus software I have ever had

April 13th, 2015 Austin, TX

McAfee would not download on my computer for renewal even after using it for years. Customer service unable to help.

April 12th, 2015 Leesburg, FL

I have used McAfee for several years.I was satisfied until they took out of our checking account for auto renewal when we did not authorize it.When i called customer service ,One person i talked to tried to sell me a subscription for 49.95 then in the same conversation she changed the amount to 19.95.All i wanted was for her to put the money back into our account.After that i cancelled my subscription and went to a different company.

April 8th, 2015 High Springs, FL

It's fine UNTIL you have a problem & need an operator to help you. Then I was on hold for about 45 minutes, then after speaking to an operator, I was put on hold another 30 minutes. THEN when I finally get an operator, I'm informed it's going to cost me $189 to $250 to have whatever done to fix the computer. And all I called about was it running slow & getting popups, telling me that I was running out of Disc Space on the HP Tools "E" drive thing. Soooo needless to say ASA my subscription runs out I will not be renewing it!!

April 8th, 2015 Ohatchee, AL

great antivirous software

April 6th, 2015 Chapin, SC

It took 2 days for it to complete a scheduled scan on my laptop. This has been happening frequently.

April 5th, 2015 Arlington, TX

last year I buy macfee antivirus and u guys u did not sent to me the mail in rebat