McAfee Logo

McAfee

7.1

McAfee, founded in 1987, is a well-known cybersecurity solutions company that offers award-winning antivirus software to individuals, families, and enterprises.

McAfee® Total Protection is the company’s premium antivirus product. This product is designed to help consumers secure and protect their personal devices and information from various cyber criminals and threats.

he company offers the following three consumer-based McAfee® Total Protection subscription packages:

• The Single Device package
  • The Individual and Couples (up to 5 devices) package
  • The Family (up to 10 devices) package

Each package that is listed above includes a one-year subscription and offers many different features in addition to antivirus software including home network security, safe web browsing, encrypted storage, secure VPN, and more.
Read on to learn more about McAfee® Total Protection and to see real customer McAfee reviews.

The Good

• Multiple Service Options
  • 30-Day Free Trial
  • 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
  • 24/7 Customer Support

Multiple Service Options

McAfee offers extensive security software for a variety of devices, including PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones.
As previously mentioned, the company offers three consumer-based McAfee® Total Protection subscription packages.

These packages include:

• Single Device — This package costs $29.99 for one device for the first year subscription. This package involves antivirus software, secure VPN, performance optimization, home network security, access to security experts and online support, access to a secure password manager and McAfee® Shredder™, safe web browsing, and encrypted storage.
  • Individual and Couples — This package costs $34.99 for five devices for the first year subscription. In addition to what is offered in the Single Device package, this package also offers multi-device compatibility and identity theft protection.
  • Family — This package costs $39.99 for 10 devices for the first year subscription. This package includes everything from the Individuals and Couples subscription and is designed to help consumers protect their entire families on just one subscription plan.

Each subscription package that the company offers lasts for one year.

Consumers should note that some of the features within the packages mentioned above are only available if customers are enrolled in the company’s auto-renewal service.

30-Day Free Trial

Those interested in McAfee® Total Protection can try the service for free for 30 days. According to the company’s corporate website, with this 30-day free trial, consumers can obtain antivirus scans and can get threats removed before they pay for a yearly subscription service.

Additionally, the company’s free trial lets consumers protect up to 10 devices including devices that are Windows, Mac OS, iOS, or Android.

McAfee’s website also states that the company does not require credit card information from consumers who wish to obtain a free service trial.

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee

McAfee offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to customers who are not satisfied with the company’s services.
In order to obtain a full refund, customers can contact the company’s customer support team and request a refund or they can fill out and submit a “request a refund” form that can be found on the company’s website.

It’s important to remember that customers can only request and receive a refund within 30 days of purchasing a McAfee product.

24/7 Customer Support

In addition to a 30-day money-back guarantee, McAfee provides around-the-clock customer support services.
Consumers can get in contact with a security expert at any time. These security experts can help consumers who are in need of technical assistance, who want to request a refund, who need help with their account, and more.

The Bad

• Second-Year Subscription Price Increase
  • Renewal System Inconvenience

Second-Year Subscription Price Increase

In terms of subscription pricing for McAfee® Total Protection, the company appears to charge a higher rate for the second-year subscription.

These second-year subscription price increases may be more than what some consumers are willing to pay in comparison to the prices that are set for the first-year subscription.

Consumers who are signed up for auto-renewal may want to pay close attention to the second-year subscription prices before their subscription is automatically renewed.

Renewal System Inconvenience

There have been complaints about McAfee's default subscription auto-renewal system, which automatically re-subscribes customers for another year of service once the subscription is over.

It appears to be a simple-enough process to turn the auto-renewal system off, but some might consider that an inconvenience.

According to the company’s website, customers can take the following steps to turn off the auto-renewal system:

• Select “My Account” at the top of the page
  • Click “Auto-Renewal Settings”
  • Follow the instructions on the page

Consumers may also find it inconvenient that some service features are only provided if they are part of the company’s renewal subscription system.

The Bottom Line

McAfee is a well-known, trusted brand to consider for computer protection. The software performance measures up to that of competitors, and protection is available for most operating systems and devices.

3.6

Yanesezah Fenelon Delray Beach, FL

McAfee is a great antivirus company for electronics especially computers. They offer great deals and prices for the product. It has kept my computer safe from viruses and unsafe websites.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

McAfee keeps my laptop free from any viruses or anything that would harm the hardware. It’s it’s easy to download and it sends you notifications and alerts when you are entering a website that may not be safe for your laptop.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

I've used McAfee for years and am very happy with how it has protected my computer devices. It's packed with a lot of security features and add on's which I have really liked.

Megan Milke Laurel, MD

McAfee is the only software I trust to keep my computer safe. Their customer support is amazing and the employees at McAfee are always there to help me renew my subscription. Definitely the most trustworthy antiviral computer software.

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

I've used McAfee on my computer for 10 years and I've enjoyed how simple and straight forward the diagnoses are. It lets me know where my risks are and also allows me to choose what upgrades I should do.

Beth Knight Nakhon Sawan, 60

I have always trusted McAfee with my electronics. It’s an affordable price and has done a great job keeping my electronics safe from viruses and other ransomware attacks

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Is your computer running slow? Chances are you have McAfee as your antivirus which is a resource hog. Bundled with your computer or with other software, McAfee is unknowingly installed. The software is capable, but is not worth it, especially when they are many free programs doing the same if not better job of protecting your computer.

DaretoExpose Las Vegas, NV

Malware firewall and virus scanners. Has a backdoor superuser account that is hidden from the customer. This software was banned in 2016 by the Federal Government due to Russian Hacking during the 2016 elections. ISP's such as Cox Communication, uses McAfee as a paid service after they have hacked your property with zero day exploits, malware, viruses and more. Their favorite line to scare non-tech savvy customers is by telling them they have a Trojan/Virus. There is no such this as a trojan virus. Trojan Horses uses connection to a malware server or a compromised network using compromised links that re-directs its victims to malware websites. . Viruses are infections, software that contains viruses, malware, keyloggers and more.

Lisa C Johnson Baltimore, MD

I've had McAfee for awhile now. They will remind you when it's time to renew or upgrade. I'm satisfied with them keeping my computer virus free. I'm sure they are trying to keep up with the latest spyware.

Destini Ferguson Tallahassee, FL

McAfee came free with my HP laptop and it works! I haven't had any viruses yet. I defiantly recommend McAfee.

CJ Milke Olney, MD

McAfee is the only company I use to protect all of my computers from viruses. They have great service and great customer support too.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

I used to use their antivirus software many years ago, but I moved on from them as they became more expensive e and there were better products on the market....that said, they were the best in their time, especially supporting Microsoft products.

Taylor Hall Los Angeles, CA

I’ve used McAfee all my life and have always had positive experiences. It is very non-invasive, and easy to use. Sometimes even forget it’s there until a little message pops up letting me know that something has been dealt with. Very quality! I have no used to go anywhere else for my computer security.

Robyn Brady Kent, OH

We have McAfee on all of our computers and on 6 smart phones. Always reliable and trustworthy and affordable.

Heather Milke Olney, MD

All of our home computers have this virus protection. I like that it lets you know when it is out of date. It has definitely "found" some viruses and saved our computers.

Ryan Larsen Logan, UT

I use McAfee on my home and work computers. I feel like it is the best level of protection I can put on my computers. I feel like this is especially important because my kids are always using our computers. They are easy to update and simple to use.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

McAfee is the most trusted name in software. I have been so impressed with accuracy, delivery of software protection, and intuitive programming. This product has been so helpful in keeping my computer safeguarded with relevant services. Will buy from again as its proven to be a wise investment and decision.

Jeff

I have used mcafee off an on for almost 20 years! Back in 90's there weren't as many antivirus companies, but they've doing it forever. One time I got an infected file from a friend and when tried to put in on my PC mcafee caught it and didn't let the file transfer. Pretty cool!

Hannah Denver, CO

I have just recently downloaded the free mobile app that McAfee provides. It has been really insightful for me to learn about wifi protection in a subtle way. As of now I am only using the free version but from what I have been able to use, it has made me feel safe and like I am in control of my privacy. The only thing that I do not like is that they send me an over abundance of notifications.

Destini Ferguson FL

Overall great software ! It came with my HP laptop and i have had no viruses!

sofia p. Tallahassee, FL

I have been using this software on my computer and it has been able to protect me from many viruses. I found that my computer ran a lot smoother and faster once I began using it.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

I’ve used McAfee for the last 10+ years in keeping my computer protected. They make it easy to install and update, happy with the service, will continue to use as long as they keep my PC safe!

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

McAfee does a good job for windows as an anti virus solution. Using this product didn't cause too much slowdown towards a Windows computer, while effectively blocking any internet threats. I like the options of being able to have a personal firewall, a password manager as well as parental controls. McAfee will also scan your social media pages for any threats, which is great when you have young kids like I do!

John Albuquerque, NM

Purchased the "ALL ACCESS" version with unlimited license. After a successful download to my primary pc, have been unable to download it to my second laptop. It just says "no internet or Mcafee server unavailable". Would not download to my Windows 8 tablet or my android phone. Had to use the "free app" that is available for each device, and not sure if they are as secure as "ALL ACCESS".Meantime, even though I have pop-up blocker on, I am seeing and increase in pop-ups and known suspicious websites are also popping up. After 2 days, it's shaky, but will try it a while longer. Got it because my son told me it worked great on his equipment.

Tyler Strieby Lehi, UT

We have always protected our laptops and other software with McAfee. They always seem to have the best product for the best price. I would recommend them to everyone. Easy to set up, easy to use. Never had any virus or other issues with my devices. Thanks McAfee.

Brittany Wilkinson Herriman, UT

I use McAfee on our home computer which is also the computer I use for our small business. I never worry about what I'm opening or downloading because I trust McAfee to keep my software safe and up to date.

Noah Provo, UT

It works okay, but it comes up with several popups and is nearly impossible to cancel.

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

I love the McAfee virus protection. We use it on all our computers. My son is the one who introduced me to McAfee and it has not let me down at all it's wonderful product. The Price is Right for what it does. I'd recommend it to anybody that has a computer. My mother-in-law uses it and so does my daughter it's a wonderful wonderful product.

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

I purchased this software for my laptop and have had nothing but problems. It has done nothing to protect my computer and is always popping up reminding me to do something. It’s way overboard and has done nothing of good quality.

Cynthia DeGrey ,

They screen my emails before I open them. They also give me daily reports and I was able to connect all my devices to this one account.

Aaron Secaucus, NJ

Annoying. Comes *installed* by default on many older computers, an installation which does nothing but beg you to pay for it. There are better & less obnoxious options. Have you heard the stories about the guy who created it?

Janalee Nielson Smithfield, UT

My husband and I always purchase McAfee to protect our computers and we’ve never had a virus that caused any issue on them.

Benjamin LeBlanc Dallas, TX

McAfee antivirus is one of the more reliable antivirus softwares out there. There will always be exceptions in getting a virus every now and then on one’s computer, but McAfee is one of the safest bets around.

Anita pea Slidell, LA

McAfee really helped me with protecting viruses on my computer, but it could use a little tweaking on its system. The employees were nice and the idea of it was awesome but not executed as good as it could have been.

Molly Keogh Ogden, UT

This software was great. There were several time the kids downloaded something with a virus that was caught and cleaned up with McAfee. It saved our computer.

ChanceyParker Jackson, MS

Great pricing when running deals for yearly plans to update protection service. They also do a great job at reminding you when it’s almost time to renew subscriptions.

John Albuquerque, NM

I have now used the McAfee ALLACCESS service for 4 days. It started blocking all my LIVE and OUTLOOK mail, treating as spam. Took me several hours to find the correct settings. Also keeps removing (losing my homepage (even though I have a lock on it). Have tried to look for support on this, and it just takes me to a purchase another product page to fix this. I thought ALLACCESS was all-inclusive of McAfee services. Evidently not!! I got this because my son, who is an IT specialist recommended it to me. I have been dealing with computers since pc's first started coming out. But so far this product is very difficult to fine tune the setup , other than the default settings that it installs. Getting very frustrated and may just go back to MS Security essentials. Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone at this point.

Brad Evansville, IN

Overall I like it. It can really bog memory down when it is doing updates or scanning. I think the price is getting ridulous especislly since I have been using it for so many yrs. It would be great if they had a customer loyalty discount for the yearly subscriptions. I think its a geat product tho and has kept my computers virus free.

Jwat1213 New Market, MD

Good program. Seems to protect my computer but also seems to slow it down

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

I use this on my HP and it seems to keep things going. I like the alerts it gives if I am on a bad site for viruses.

Hailey Burt Riverton, UT

I had the software installed and it worked well, never got any viruses. However i keep getting notifications for me to upgrade, at least once a day and it’s very annoying.

Mason Allen Provo, UT

I had it on one of my work laptops and it drove me nuts. It kept sending notifications for the most random updates and I could not get it to stop popping up notifications. It is supposed to prevent pop ups yet it was popping up more than anything else on my computer.

Gina Miami, FL

Great service. Highly recommend. I ran into a complication and their customer service was able to resolve quick and effectively.

Kinord C Westville, FL

I use this for my HP laptop and I was able to eliminate the viruses that were previously there and allow it to run smoothly

Nora Holland Mount Olive, MS

Anytime I download something this software is always scanning for bugs. If it wasn’t for this then I would probably have a lot of viruses.

Brayden Ibert Houston, TX

I had McAfee antivirus installed on my computer for years and found that there were many better options I could use. It was fairly simple to use, but I found that it didn’t always work. I would advise for you to use another antivirus.

Barbara Matula Gulfport, MS

Must have!! Over the years I have tried different antivirus softwares, but this one is the most reliable and effective. Highly recommend

Amanda Montebello, CA

When I installed McAfee, I had two viruses on my computer and I worked with customer service to help get rid of viruses and protect against more.

Nancy Paugh Long Beach, MS

I have used McAfee for years. It provides a good service for a fair price. It does what it states and more. I would recommend this to anyone.

Stephen C. Taffe Windsor, CT

It slows down the computer even on startup and takes priority over every program and to stop the scanning is difficult. Also the full scan takes a very, very, very long time. I have scanned back to back to see if there was a real threat and if it was eliminated which, it seemed to say I had a virus every time or I needed a repair with some software, command issue. So I never knew if it was doing something or just pretending.