McAfee

McAfee Logo

8.1

McAfee

Protects social media accounts

McAfee is a big name in antivirus computer protection, and for good reasons. With over 5,000 employees, it is the world's largest company that is dedicated solely to security technology. The company was founded in 1987 after programmer John McAfee began working on software that would combat computer viruses.

The Good

• Variety of devices
  • Great features
  • Ad protection

McAfee offers extensive security software for a variety of devices, including PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones. The company sells a variety of other products and services, such as PC utilities and troubleshooting services. McAfee also runs daily security tests on certain websites, protecting site operators and users from identity theft, credit fraud, adware, spam, and scams.

The software has all the basic features you would expect from an antivirus company, as well as some attractive "extras." It protects computer files, email, and web downloads from known viruses, worms, Trojans, and spyware with tested accuracy and reliability, detecting 100% of the AV-Test reference set of widespread malware. The firewall has buffer overflow protection for the most vulnerable situations, preventing software exploits in hotspots. McAfee's ad protection detects
hidden iFrame code, which stops cybercrime network ads from loading, and most of the products have identity security and parental controls. Additionally, McAfee's All Access package offers complete mobile protection, password manager, and secure cloud storage.

The Bad

• Low score
  • Renewal system issues

When it comes to detecting new threats, no antivirus product is perfect. McAfee actually scored lower than average in AV-Test's "Real World" testing of 0-day malware attacks, even though the tests within AV-Comparatives have indicated that McAfee is "advanced" in that area. McAfee is a long-standing antivirus company, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily on the cutting edge of virus detection.

There have been complaints about McAfee's default subscription renewal system, which automatically re-subscribes customers for another year of service once the subscription is over. It's simple enough to turn the renewal off, but some might consider that an inconvenience. (By the way, if your subscription is automatically renewed you can contact customer support for a refund within 60 days, and McAfee will refund the full subscription price!)

The Bottom Line

McAfee is a well-known, trusted brand to consider for computer protection. The software performance measures up to that of competitors, and protection is available for most operating systems and devices. After researching the product and company, we recommend McAfee as top-of-the-line.

2.9

Ray Hansen
September 24th, 2018 Los Angeles, CA

It always pops up on my computer and never leaves me alone

Thomas Hullinger
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

McAfee gives you a great product at a good price that does everything it is advertised to do. I will buy it again and again.

Lesa Burgess
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

McAfee does a good job for windows as an anti virus solution. Using this product didn't cause too much slowdown towards a Windows computer, while effectively blocking any internet threats. I like the options of being able to have a personal firewall, a password manager as well as parental controls. McAfee will also scan your social media pages for any threats, which is great when you have young kids like I do!

Sara Jane
July 26th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

It is a nightmare to get McAfee off a computer it has been pre-loaded onto. The pop ups are annoying.

Marilyn Greer
July 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

I hated that they bugged me all the time. They still do even though I don't have the service anymore.

Boston Whipple
July 20th, 2018 Provo, UT

McAfee pops up every time I restart my laptop and slows the start time significantly. It frequently wants me to update or upgrade. I haven't had any issues with viruses but I have multiple sets of anti-virus software.

Ruth Anne Bright
July 19th, 2018 Mount Washington, KY

This is a very good product for the home computer. It provided me excellent protection and alerts when needed. Very easy to install and update.

Cody Linden
July 19th, 2018 Lehi, UT

This is the protection software that is currently on my computer and I have zero complaints. Protects my computer and doesn't make a hassle about it.

Bella Houtz
May 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

McAfee has the best customer service and a great staff!

Avery Fowler
May 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Used it several years ago, but it seems to have been a good quality product.

Ashley
May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Very reliable company but it is also one of the most expensive as well

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have been very happy with this product, when I have had a question the customer service was very helpful.

May 25th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used McAfee in the past and I have been very pleased with the products they have to offer for security.

K Robison
April 30th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I started on a free trial and decided to use it for all of my computers. I have had no issues with service. I would recommend to others

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT

Had a free one month trial it went smoothly. Good antivirus protection but I think it is a little pricey compared to its competitors. I would suggest looking elsewhere before settling on McAfee.

Sandy
April 16th, 2018 Seaside, OR DETAILS

We loaded it on our computer, and basically crashed our computer. We had to delete it. Not happy.

Hayden Danger Barton
April 16th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

Great security. Definitely recommend!!

Anne Marie Milne
April 10th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I love the McAfee virus protection. We use it on all our computers. My son is the one who introduced me to McAfee and it has not let me down at all it's wonderful product. The Price is Right for what it does. I'd recommend it to anybody that has a computer. My mother-in-law uses it and so does my daughter it's a wonderful wonderful product.

Trent Palmer
April 9th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

It slowed my computer down a ton, and I can't delete it from my computer. Also, every time it runs a scan, my computer freezes. There is free software that does the same thing, so I would not recommend this to a friend.

Landon Robison
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I have used McAfee for all of my computers and have never had any issues. It is inexpensive and a good way to ensure your device is secured and protected.

Skip T
November 6th, 2017 Lima, OH DETAILS

I think it does ok but it slows my PC. And they also pop up a lot when it’s time to renew.

Kenneth Okerlund
June 2nd, 2017

I stopped using Mcafee after my trial period with them ended. I have been pretty on top of which antivirus software I want and I wasn't too happy with what they offered nor their pricing.

Stephen C. Taffe
October 6th, 2016 Windsor, CT

It slows down the computer even on startup and takes priority over every program and to stop the scanning is difficult. Also the full scan takes a very, very, very long time. I have scanned back to back to see if there was a real threat and if it was eliminated which, it seemed to say I had a virus every time or I needed a repair with some software, command issue. So I never knew if it was doing something or just pretending.

Laurie Carleton
May 7th, 2015 Tyler, TX

A free trial of McAfee came on my new computer. After the free trial I bought it for a year. It's awful. It always turns itself off. I've had at least 6 attacks on my computer that it didn't prevent. The first couple they helped out. After that they wanted to send me to a special "virus" team and upcharge me over and above what I had already paid for them to prevent. Don't recommend them AT ALL and will not renew.

hasmat ali
April 21st, 2015 Sacramento, CA

McAFee youguys left me in the middle of the road,with out informing me anything,youguys told me to pay 19,99 for one year service,and I paid it,but still McAFee youguys left me hanging,i talk to the service rep,she was one crazy customers service rep,i gave all the information she needed but still ,I didn't get no help,i have no security system working in my pc,and youguys keep popping up 5 to ten times daily,and not doing nothing,i trusted youguys McAFee and see what youguys done to me,thanks a lot.

Frank
April 20th, 2015 Clearwater, FL

I have the enterprise, and the feeling of security is mind calming. There are so many threats that could give you months of grief.

Lois Shelton
April 20th, 2015 Dandridge, TN

It keeps telling me I am not secure! I darn well better be!!!!!!!!!!!

John
April 17th, 2015 Albuquerque, NM

I have now used the McAfee ALLACCESS service for 4 days. It started blocking all my LIVE and OUTLOOK mail, treating as spam. Took me several hours to find the correct settings. Also keeps removing (losing my homepage (even though I have a lock on it). Have tried to look for support on this, and it just takes me to a purchase another product page to fix this. I thought ALLACCESS was all-inclusive of McAfee services. Evidently not!! I got this because my son, who is an IT specialist recommended it to me. I have been dealing with computers since pc's first started coming out. But so far this product is very difficult to fine tune the setup , other than the default settings that it installs. Getting very frustrated and may just go back to MS Security essentials. Not sure if I would recommend this to anyone at this point.

klaus griffis
April 17th, 2015 Laurens, SC

good and bad.good the 1st year.bad the 2nd yeari was automatically charge but it still keeps telling me that i need to buy it to get coverage. i'm trying to cancel it,but can not get a hold of anybody.

sarah richards
April 16th, 2015 Cypress, TX

McAfee is the best

Teresa Martin
April 16th, 2015 Hartselle, AL

I would never recommend this product. Since installing, my computer has all but stopped working. It keeps telling me I do not have web protection and to buy now. You have to go around the world to get to your account to put in your verification code. There is no where for tech support. I miss Norton. They are so much more helpful. After the initial installation, BING ( which seems to be hated by everyone) showed up on my computer. I can only assume that it was installed with McAfee and impossible to remove. I would NOT recommend this product for any reason.

Barbara Field
April 16th, 2015 Zebulon, NC

I experienced a continuous problem with the Java and Adobe starting in Oct/Nov 2014. After scheduling numerous appts for repair (which were never answered at time scheduled) the problem continued and continued and continued. I originally paid $60.00 for this repair and to date the problem is STILL NOT REPAIRED.

Garth
April 15th, 2015 Clayton, IN

I used McAfee a few years ago, in one years time I had to format my hard drive 4 times to get rid of virus' that McAfee wouldn't. no Customer support. Then I tried Norton 360, it was just as bad. Now I'm using Webroot it's been the best so far.

John
April 17th, 2015 Albuquerque, NM

Purchased the "ALL ACCESS" version with unlimited license. After a successful download to my primary pc, have been unable to download it to my second laptop. It just says "no internet or Mcafee server unavailable". Would not download to my Windows 8 tablet or my android phone. Had to use the "free app" that is available for each device, and not sure if they are as secure as "ALL ACCESS".Meantime, even though I have pop-up blocker on, I am seeing and increase in pop-ups and known suspicious websites are also popping up. After 2 days, it's shaky, but will try it a while longer. Got it because my son told me it worked great on his equipment.

Celeste Redic
April 14th, 2015 Livonia, NY

This is the best Anti virus software I have ever had

Johnny
April 13th, 2015 Austin, TX

McAfee would not download on my computer for renewal even after using it for years. Customer service unable to help.

Anne Burroughs
April 13th, 2015 Leesburg, FL

I have used McAfee for several years.I was satisfied until they took out of our checking account for auto renewal when we did not authorize it.When i called customer service ,One person i talked to tried to sell me a subscription for 49.95 then in the same conversation she changed the amount to 19.95.All i wanted was for her to put the money back into our account.After that i cancelled my subscription and went to a different company.

Julie
April 9th, 2015 High Springs, FL

It's fine UNTIL you have a problem & need an operator to help you. Then I was on hold for about 45 minutes, then after speaking to an operator, I was put on hold another 30 minutes. THEN when I finally get an operator, I'm informed it's going to cost me $189 to $250 to have whatever done to fix the computer. And all I called about was it running slow & getting popups, telling me that I was running out of Disc Space on the HP Tools "E" drive thing. Soooo needless to say ASA my subscription runs out I will not be renewing it!!

kevin jones
April 9th, 2015 Ohatchee, AL

great antivirous software

Kay Richardson
April 6th, 2015 Chapin, SC

It took 2 days for it to complete a scheduled scan on my laptop. This has been happening frequently.