Malwarebytes Logo

Malwarebytes

7.3

LAST UPDATED: January 24th, 2022

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) has a core belief that everyone has a right to malware-free existence, and today, with cyber threats that have evolved beyond simple viruses, users need protection from cybersecurity software that is advanced and innovative. Malwarebytes’ team comprises more than 600 malware hunters, software engineers, and security industry veterans with six patents for its innovative technology, making it one of the most trusted names in cybersecurity.

The company boasts impressive numbers:

• Over 8 million threats blocked everyday by Malwarebytes
  • Over 200 million Malwarebytes scans per month
  • Over 247 million installations of Malwarebytes every day

Malwarebytes includes products that provide premium protection and privacy for home computers and devices in addition to enterprise-grade protection and remediation for businesses.

The Good

• Comprehensive Protection
  • Free Products
  • Free Trial and Money-Back Guarantee
  • Lock in Price with Auto Renewal

Comprehensive Protection

After downloading, Malwarebytes’ software performs a scan searching for malware that has already been installed. Malwarebytes’ cybersecurity technology finds malware on 39 percent of devices that had other antivirus previously installed. Malwarebytes removes malware, viruses, and threats it finds on devices and then continues to protect through its 24/7 real time protection.

Malwarebyte Premium’s real time protection uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to efficiently keep devices safe from both known and emerging threats. The software’s web protection locks online scams, infected sites, malicious links, and phishing scams. Additionally, Malwarebyte uses proprietary technology to protect against ransomware that locks down devices and takes files hostage.

Users can view or monitor detection history, scheduled scans, and real time protection through the software’s simple user interface.

Free Products

Malwarebytes offers free products. These include:

• Malwarebytes Free —  Anyone can clean up their device from previously unknown downloaded malware and viruses through Malwarebytes Free.
  • Malwarebytes AdwCleaner — Users can remove unwanted programs and junkware and optimize device performance through Malwarebytes AdwCleaner.
  • Malwarebytes Browser Guard — Malwarebytes’ Browser Guard is a browser extension that filters out ads and scams while blocking trackers for free on Chrome, Edge and Firefox browsers.

Free Trial and Money-Back Guarantee

When users download Malwarebytes Free, they also receive a free 14-day trial of Malwarebytes premium. After the 14-day trial, the real time protection reverts back to its free limited scanner. Additionally, Malwarebytes offers a 60-day money-back guarantee for its products if customers are unsatisfied with its products.

Lock in Price with Auto Renewal

Almost all antivirus companies offer a discount on pricing for the first year, but ramp the pricing back up for subsequent subscriptions. Malwarebytes allows its customers to lock in discounted pricing beyond the first year if they select auto renewal.

The Bad

No AV-Test

MBAM hasn't gone through testing by AV-Test or AV-Comparative. Customers who rely on these organizations to evaluate software will not be able to use its test results to judge how MBAM measures up to competitors.

The Bottom Line

Malwarebytes prioritizes the need for innovation in cybersecurity software to stay ahead of continually evolving and mutating malware, viruses, and hackers. This emphasis is proven through its cybersecurity software detecting and removing malware on 39 percent of devices that had other antivirus previously installed.

Similar to other antivirus companies, it provides free products for users, a free trial, but offers a robust 60-day money-back guarantee. Malwarebytes also extends its customers further savings by allowing them to lock in discounted pricing through selecting auto renewal. For customers who rely on AV-Test or AV-Comparative, we recommend reaching out to Malwarebytes’ customer service to ask for test results that can be used to compare against other antivirus companies.

Dana Hatfield Bullhead City, AZ

Have been using this service for 2 years now and am quite pleased with it. The value received for the money paid is a good one. I have not had a single incident where my computer has been at risk that was not taken care of before any damage was done. Will mot definitely continue to use MalwareBytes in the future.

Becca Jones Bel Air, MD

Malwarebytes helps me stay protected online. After installing the free version years ago, I have since purchased a business package. Small businesses can easily be hacked online and this helps protect against cyber attacks. The program allows for daily updates, different degrees of scans and ultimately protection against cyber threat. I am very happy with this purchase.

upnorthwi Bellevue, WA

I have used other anti-virus software programs over the years and found that after a time I started having computer issues it speed, crashes, malware and then the constant updates and sometimes incompatibility with other programs. I found Malwarebytes when I started getting infected with things that my popular anti-virus should have stopped or removed, Malwarebytes did just that. Now I use only Malwarebytes and have never had any problems with viruses, malware, trojans or anything else.

Thomas Nuffer Lindon, UT

The very best anti-virus there is, I have used this countless times on my computer and others to detect and delete viruses. You can pay for it but it has everything you need for an anti-virus, It doesn't take any of your computers resources in the background, it works fast, and is overall just a great piece of software. It you think you have a virus or just want to be safe without paying money, this is your best option.

MM Largo, FL

I have only used the free trial of premium and the free version that is limited to certain functions, which has always met my needs. I Akari use the free virus scanner and it has caught alot of malware that other virus scans missed.

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

Best free malware software for your computer! We have this downloaded on all of our devices. Easy to download and use. This software saved a computer that had so much malware that we could not use it. It was very easy to navigate unlike some of the other malware downloads that we have used in the past.

Brandon Berwyn, IL

Pretty solid program and have been using it for years. Most antivirus programs have reached the level of their free version however making it a bit redundant as I refuse to pay for the premium service. 10 years ago I couldn't have lived without them.

CMWitt Sun Prairie, WI

Malwarebytes is my go to program for all those infiltrating little annoying bugs, that you just know are fakes. It does a great job cleaning them up, quarantining them and letting you get on your way. fairly priced

Glenn Dalton Salt Lake City, UT

Excellent dark web protection and virus protection. I had hoped there was a feature to help stop so much junk mail but nothing I have tried seems ato make a difference.

Luke Swierczynski Troy, MI

Whenever something isn't running correctly or something seems off this is the first program I run. Been successful in removing random malware things on multiple occasions, especially on my parents computer.

Darryl Shelmire Long Beach, CA

I've used this program of all of my computers over the past few years.. I've never had an issue with viruses since I started.

Mike John Logan, UT

Great starting software. Hard to remove when wanting to move on

1 day ago

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

My laptop because infected with several viruses over the summer so I looked up ways to get rid of them on YouTube. One of the videos I found recommended Malwarebytes so I gave it a shot. I’m pretty sure it worked because I haven’t received a notification about the viruses sense so I think it works pretty well.

Jadon Barre Dallas, TX

Malware bytes has protected my desktop for 10 years without fail or falter. I have never had any problems running foreign programs because I know malware bytes will protect my computer. I’m happy to say I will be renewing my account.

Michael Leslie Flint, MI

Keeps my Mac clear of malware. Easy to install

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love using Malwarebytes for my laptop. Its super affordable and I've never had any virus issues since switching to this brand.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

My go to computer protection product....they provide frequent updates and are always in-front of the on-line threats...They are equally effective on either a MAC or Microsoft platform

Tanner Hales Pleasant Grove, UT

I use the free version of Malwarebytes on all my computers, both PC and Mac, and it has been everything I could ever need in the malware defense department. I highly doubt that I will ever use anything else because this stuff is so effective.

Heather Greenburg ,

This past year with Malwarebytes I have not had computer virus problems. I set the time for daily screening and it runs and updates automatically. I will not go without this virus protection!!!

Randy Greenburg ,

Malware bytes has kept our home computers operational for over 10 years. Once in a while we get a new computer without Makware bytes and we get hacked by malware. Great tool!

Boston Whipple Provo, UT

Malwarebytes runs scans that are pretty quick and I haven't had any issues since I downloaded it. It doesn't put up frequent pop-ups like some anti-virus software.

Quinn Lawrence Logan, UT

It seems to work pretty well to keep viruses off my computer. I love the real time protection for the subscription.

Robert Cobb Eureka, NV

I have the premium malwarebytes. Came home from vacation and my PC was full of adware. Still waiting for customer service to get back to me! Fixed the problem by changing from internet explorer to Firefox. Plus side is computer is now much faster.

Kenneth Okerlund

I think that MalwareBytes does an amazing job at finding malware that other Antivirus software does not find, but the amount of unwanted popups is incredibly frustrating.

Xivatik Colombo, 11

Best for the price anti malware solution

Amberlee Hildebrand Orem, UT

It works well but pops up at inconvenient times sometimes.