Malwarebytes Logo

Malwarebytes

5.7

LAST UPDATED: July 29th, 2021

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) has a core belief that everyone has a right to malware-free existence, and today, with cyber threats that have evolved beyond simple viruses, users need protection from cybersecurity software that is advanced and innovative. Malwarebytes’ team comprises more than 600 malware hunters, software engineers, and security industry veterans with six patents for its innovative technology, making it one of the most trusted names in cybersecurity.

The company boasts impressive numbers:

• Over 8 million threats blocked everyday by Malwarebytes
  • Over 200 million Malwarebytes scans per month
  • Over 247 million installations of Malwarebytes every day

Malwarebytes includes products that provide premium protection and privacy for home computers and devices in addition to enterprise-grade protection and remediation for businesses.

The Good

• Comprehensive Protection
  • Free Products
  • Free Trial and Money-Back Guarantee
  • Lock in Price with Auto Renewal

Comprehensive Protection

After downloading, Malwarebytes’ software performs a scan searching for malware that has already been installed. Malwarebytes’ cybersecurity technology finds malware on 39 percent of devices that had other antivirus previously installed. Malwarebytes removes malware, viruses, and threats it finds on devices and then continues to protect through its 24/7 real time protection.

Malwarebyte Premium’s real time protection uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to efficiently keep devices safe from both known and emerging threats. The software’s web protection locks online scams, infected sites, malicious links, and phishing scams. Additionally, Malwarebyte uses proprietary technology to protect against ransomware that locks down devices and takes files hostage.

Users can view or monitor detection history, scheduled scans, and real time protection through the software’s simple user interface.

Free Products

Malwarebytes offers free products. These include:

• Malwarebytes Free —  Anyone can clean up their device from previously unknown downloaded malware and viruses through Malwarebytes Free.
  • Malwarebytes AdwCleaner — Users can remove unwanted programs and junkware and optimize device performance through Malwarebytes AdwCleaner.
  • Malwarebytes Browser Guard — Malwarebytes’ Browser Guard is a browser extension that filters out ads and scams while blocking trackers for free on Chrome, Edge and Firefox browsers.

Free Trial and Money-Back Guarantee

When users download Malwarebytes Free, they also receive a free 14-day trial of Malwarebytes premium. After the 14-day trial, the real time protection reverts back to its free limited scanner. Additionally, Malwarebytes offers a 60-day money-back guarantee for its products if customers are unsatisfied with its products.

Lock in Price with Auto Renewal

Almost all antivirus companies offer a discount on pricing for the first year, but ramp the pricing back up for subsequent subscriptions. Malwarebytes allows its customers to lock in discounted pricing beyond the first year if they select auto renewal.

The Bad

No AV-Test

MBAM hasn't gone through testing by AV-Test or AV-Comparative. Customers who rely on these organizations to evaluate software will not be able to use its test results to judge how MBAM measures up to competitors.

The Bottom Line

Malwarebytes prioritizes the need for innovation in cybersecurity software to stay ahead of continually evolving and mutating malware, viruses, and hackers. This emphasis is proven through its cybersecurity software detecting and removing malware on 39 percent of devices that had other antivirus previously installed.

Similar to other antivirus companies, it provides free products for users, a free trial, but offers a robust 60-day money-back guarantee. Malwarebytes also extends its customers further savings by allowing them to lock in discounted pricing through selecting auto renewal. For customers who rely on AV-Test or AV-Comparative, we recommend reaching out to Malwarebytes’ customer service to ask for test results that can be used to compare against other antivirus companies.

Mark Benson Nakhon Sawan, 60

My laptop because infected with several viruses over the summer so I looked up ways to get rid of them on YouTube. One of the videos I found recommended Malwarebytes so I gave it a shot. I’m pretty sure it worked because I haven’t received a notification about the viruses sense so I think it works pretty well.

Elisabeth Kinghorn Nakhon Sawan, 60

I love using Malwarebytes for my laptop. Its super affordable and I've never had any virus issues since switching to this brand.

Quinn Lawrence Logan, UT

It seems to work pretty well to keep viruses off my computer. I love the real time protection for the subscription.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

My go to computer protection product....they provide frequent updates and are always in-front of the on-line threats...They are equally effective on either a MAC or Microsoft platform

Heather Greenburg ,

This past year with Malwarebytes I have not had computer virus problems. I set the time for daily screening and it runs and updates automatically. I will not go without this virus protection!!!

Randy Greenburg ,

Malware bytes has kept our home computers operational for over 10 years. Once in a while we get a new computer without Makware bytes and we get hacked by malware. Great tool!

Jadon Barre Dallas, TX

Malware bytes has protected my desktop for 10 years without fail or falter. I have never had any problems running foreign programs because I know malware bytes will protect my computer. I’m happy to say I will be renewing my account.

Tanner Hales Pleasant Grove, UT

I use the free version of Malwarebytes on all my computers, both PC and Mac, and it has been everything I could ever need in the malware defense department. I highly doubt that I will ever use anything else because this stuff is so effective.

Xivatik Colombo, 11

Best for the price anti malware solution

Boston Whipple Provo, UT

Malwarebytes runs scans that are pretty quick and I haven't had any issues since I downloaded it. It doesn't put up frequent pop-ups like some anti-virus software.

Amberlee Hildebrand Orem, UT

It works well but pops up at inconvenient times sometimes.

Robert Cobb Eureka, NV

I have the premium malwarebytes. Came home from vacation and my PC was full of adware. Still waiting for customer service to get back to me! Fixed the problem by changing from internet explorer to Firefox. Plus side is computer is now much faster.

Kenneth Okerlund

I think that MalwareBytes does an amazing job at finding malware that other Antivirus software does not find, but the amount of unwanted popups is incredibly frustrating.