Kaspersky’s anti-virus protection combines the power of your PC with the technology of cloud computing to deliver fast and reliable scanning of all websites and files. Complete with a firewall, anti-phishing, anti-spyware, and anti-spam, it gives you all the basic protection you need along with some attractive features that make it unique.
Kaspersky has an anti-banner that blocks dangerous or annoying ads while you browse the internet. The URL advisor adds color-coded tags to links while you surf, making it easy to spot potential threats on each webpage. Identity protection is included, with a secure keyboard mode that prevents key-loggers from stealing your information. Kaspersky also has an automatic exploit prevention feature that ensures that the vulnerable, outdated applications on your PC won’t be compromised.
Other features include free online backup storage, a gamer mode setting, and file encryption. Kaspersky’s free password manager download is a great addition to its program. It can securely store up to 15 account passwords and 1 identity card while syncing them across all of your devices (Android, iOS, PC, and Mac).
Though Mac computers are covered, the company’s multi-device anti-virus product does not support Apple mobile devices—only Android. Kaspersky doesn’t offer any PC tune-up tools or optimization products. Social network protection is also limited. The URL advisor should catch some threatening links exchanged over social networks, but the protection is not specialized for social media and it won’t alert you to privacy concerns within your accounts.
There have been complaints about Kaspersky’s automatic subscription renewal, which is pretty standard in this industry. Customers need to be proactive in managing their Kaspersky account preferences.
Price (*subject to change)
- Internet Security-Multi Device $69.95 (5 devices, 1 year) PC, Mac, Android, smartphone, tablet
- PURE 3.0 Total Security $64.95 (3 PCs, 1 year)
- Internet Security $59.95 (3 PCs, 1 year)
- Anti-Virus $59.95 (3 PCs, 1 year)
- Internet Security for Mac $59.95 (3 Macs, 1 year)
- Internet Security for Android $14.95 (1 device, 1 year)
- There are also free basic mobile protection downloads for Android and Apple iOS.
Free trial offer
The following Kaspersky anti-virus products can be downloaded for a free 30-day trial: Internet Security Multi-Device, Internet Security, PURE 3.0 Total Security, and Internet Security for Mac (everything but Internet Security for Android).
Kaspersky’s internet security for mobile includes
- Anti-malware and Web Protection – Protects your device from viruses, spyware, Trojans, bots, phishing websites, and other threats. It also notifies you if text messages contain malicious links.
- Anti-theft Protection – Remotely access security features on your missing device, including a data wipe, alarm, “mugshot” feature, and location tracker.
- Privacy Protection – Control what others can see or access on your phone, such as contacts, text messages, and call histories
- Call/Text Filter – Block calls and text messages from specified numbers
- Real-time Anti-virus Protection – Includes a URL advisor that adds color-coded tags to web links while you surf, warning you about the danger of any link you encounter
- Anti-spyware – Kaspersky’s cloud-based security system keeps track of data from participating systems worldwide to stay up-to-date about active spyware threats
- Anti-phishing and Identity Protection – Protects you from fraud and identity theft by using cloud data, anti-phishing technologies and a secure keyboard mode that blocks key-loggers
- Anti-spam – Filters unwanted emails and reports spam detected
- Anti root-kit – Scans hidden files and processes to detect active root-kits. The feature also includes a tool to remove malicious root-kits.
- Anti-banner – Blocks banner ads, preventing threats and annoyances
- Financial Protection – Protects your financial and personal information during financial transactions such as online banking, shopping, and using payment systems
- Two-way Firewall – Prevents hackers from accessing your PC; controls the information transmitted from your PC to the rest of the web
- Parental Controls – Filters websites that contain adult content and monitors all online activity
- File Encryption – Protects sensitive, personal files in an encrypted, password-protected vault
- Data Shredder – Wipes deleted files off your PC so files can’t be recovered, reconstructed, or stolen by cyber-criminals
Kaspersky has racked up several awards from independent IT tests. In 2013, AV-Comparative gave Kaspersky its silver award for performance, bronze awards for file detection and low false positives, and gold awards for malware removal and real-world protection. Kaspersky’s anti-virus was also named AV-Comparative’s product of the year in 2013. AV-Test recently gave Kaspersky’s 2014 internet security product a perfect score in protection, protecting against 100% of the malware infections, viruses, worms, and Trojan horses in both real-world testing and the AV-Test reference set. The Windows 8 version gave very few false positive alerts while the Windows XP version had a totally flawless test.
Tune-up & Speed
The company’s anti-virus products do not currently include a tune-up feature, nor does Kaspersky sell any separate tune-up products or services. However, Kaspersky’s 2014 internet security suite received a near perfect performance score in AV-Test’s most recent testing, meaning the product has a minimal influence on the computer speed. Kaspersky’s website, too, explains that their anti-virus products allow your PC to run at optimal speed because of partial cloud protection.
Kaspersky Lab has been BBB accredited since 2013, which means the company has committed to make a good faith effort to resolve consumer complaints. Customers have filed complaints about Kaspersky’s automatic subscription renewal, which is the default setting when ordering their anti-virus products. There have also been issues with the integrity of some third-party software vendors as well as complications with advertised rebates. But Kaspersky has provided prompt and sufficient responses to these complaints, and we noticed that they were particularly polite and sincere about their apologies and proposed solutions.
Time in Business
Kaspersky Lab was founded in 1997 (17+ years in business).
Kaspersky Lab is chiefly headquartered in Moscow, Russia. The North and South Americas headquarters is in Woburn, MA.
Kaspersky clients have access to free technical support through the company’s knowledge base, chat support (available 24/7), and phone representatives. This personal product support includes installing, uninstalling, product activation, virus fighting, and updates.
- Mac OS X 10.6-10.8
- 1 GB RAM
- 350 MB available hard drive space
- Android 2.3-4.3
- Minimum screen resolution: 320 x 480
- 480 MB free space hard drive
- XP: Processor 800 MHz or higher
- 512 MB available RAM
- Vista & Windows 7: Processor GHz 32-bit/64-bit or higher
- 1 GB available RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB available RAM (64-bit)
- Windows 8: Processor 1 GHz or higher
- 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
Report this review
What is the issue?*
Thank you, but you have already reported this review