F-Secure provides great browsing protection, scanning even https-encrypted sites and offering extra protection on Facebook. Safe Profile allows users to see how much of their profile is visible to strangers and provides added protection of their personal information. F-Secure’s banking protection is excellent. When you open an online banking site, you are notified that banking protection is on, which means that all new connections from your PC are blocked until the end of your session—all other network connections are on hold to keep things secure. This stops banking Trojans and malware from sending your private information to cyber-criminals.
The company’s free secure search page is impressive. Available to anyone on the web, this search bar uses Google and pre-screens your results for privacy and safety by giving each site a safety rating. There’s no need to install software, but you still get some browsing protection. The company’s Freedome app includes anti-phishing, anti-tracking, and Wi-fi security to your device by encrypting your network connections.
F-Secure doesn’t come with a firewall of its own, but rather “improves” the functionality of the Windows Firewall by scanning for browser manipulation. The product won’t block spam automatically, but users can manually enter specific email addresses they would like to block.
They do offer protection for Apple users, but their best anti-virus package, Internet Security, is incompatible with Macs and the mobile protection doesn’t protect iOS. That means that Mac and iOS users
miss out on premium browsing protection, real-time protection, and secure banking.
Price (*subject to change)
- Mobile $27.52, 19.95 euro (1 device, 1 year)
- Freedome Network Protection App $37.23, 26.99 euro (1 year)
- Anti-Virus $41.37, 29.99 euro (1 PC or 1 Mac, 1 year)
- Anti-Virus $55.16, 39.99 euro (3 PCs or 3 Macs, 1 year)
- Internet Security $68.90, 49.99 euro (1 PC, 1 year)
- Internet Security $82.75, 59.99 euro (3 PCs, 1 year)
- SAFE multi-device $96.42, 69.90 euro (3 devices, 1 year)
- SAFE multi-device $110.21, 79.90 euro (5 devices, 1 year)
Free trial offer
F-Secure’s anti-virus products can be downloaded for a 30-day free trial. The Freedome network protection app comes with a 7-day free trial.
Mobile protection (for Android)
- Identity Protection – Protects your data while shopping, banking, and browsing
- Parental Controls – Moderates children’s online use, blocks adult content, and allows parents to limit the apps their children use
- Safe Browsing – Prevents hacker attacks; blocks viruses, spyware, and harmful websites
- Missing Device Protection – Locate, lock, or erase data from a missing mobile device
- App Scanner – Guards against malicious apps
- Anti-Malware – Detects and blocks viruses, spyware, and other exploits
- Facebook Protection – Keeps you informed about your privacy settings and protects your personal information Online
- Secure Banking – Banking mode blocks out other connections during your banking session to prevent cyber-criminals from stealing your financial information
- Parental Control – Allows you to monitor your child’s online activity and block inappropriate content
- Browsing Protection – Protects you from malicious links while you browse, even on https-encrypted sites such as Facebook, Google, and Twitter; marks Google search results with safety ratings
- Malware Removal – Scans and cleans your PC of spyware, viruses, Trojans, and other malware
- Identity Protection – Prevents network intrusions; encrypts connections; covers your tracks online
AV-Comparative’s December 2013 testing put F-Secure at the very top of its list for powerful protection—it caught more than 99 percent of the threats presented. It did, however, give the most false detections of any other anti-virus. AV-Test tested the 2014 version of Internet Security for Windows 8.1, which yielded a flawless score in detecting web and email threats, both from the reference set and from zero-day malware in the “real world.” It had better than average performance as far as impacting the speed of the computer in daily usage. The product’s usability was above average, though there were some false detections and false warnings in that test, too.
Tune-up & Speed
F-Secure claims its products do not slow your devices down, and AV-Test’s 2014 testing seems to support this. The company does not include any tune-up features in the anti-virus, nor do they sell separate computer optimization tools or services.
Time in Business
F-Secure was founded as Data Fellows in 1988 (26+ years in business).
The company’s headquarters is in Finland and the U.S. office is in San Jose, CA.
F-Secure’s customer support includes online chat, a community forum, online knowledge base, and phone support. U.S. customers can get technical support during business hours—Monday-Friday, 9:00am-6:00pm PST—by calling 1-866-295-2725. Customers can also submit an online request form for help or email [email protected]
- Intel Pentium Processor 4 or equivalent
- 1 GB RAM
- 800 MB free disk space
- Windows 8.1/8.1 Pro
- Windows 8/8 Pro
- Windows 7 (all editions)
- Windows Vista (SP2)
- Windows XP (Home Edition, Professional, Media Center Edition) (32-bit and Service Pack 3 or later)
- Intel Processor
- 1 GB RAM
- 250 MB free disk space
- OS X version 10.9 (Mavericks)
- OS X version 10.8 (Mountain Lion)
- OS X version 10.7 (Lion)
- OSX version 10.6 (Snow Leopard, version 10.6.8 or later)
- Android 2.2 or later (smartphone & tablet)