In AV-Comparative’s most recent file detection test (September 2013), Avira was number one in malicious file detection. This is a tremendous accomplishment for the company, as Avira was competing with several of the top computer security products in the world. Though IT tests aren’t the only consideration to make when looking for computer protection, it sure helps to know that a product has been tested and proven effective.
Along with the option to download free antivirus products for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS, Avira offers free cloud storage and a memory clean-up tool for anyone to download. Avira’s Ultimate Protection suite comes with a whopping 200 GB of safe and secure online backup space, along with other extra protection features, like PC optimization and parental controls. It’s also worth noting that paid Avira subscriptions don’t just cover a single computer—a yearly subscription covers all of a user’s devices. This is both convenient and cost-effective for customers.
Avira keeps their customers updated through their virus lab site as well as an informative blog that stays current about the latest problems and developments in the IT world. This resource not only gives insight into the company’s product advancements but also common problems and solutions regarding the most popular technological devices.
Unfortunately, Avira does not offer comprehensive social networking protection at this time. The parental control feature does allow parents some access to their kids’ social media sites, but the focus is less about dangerous viral links and more about dangerous social situations. Though the family protection package does have some unique alert settings for Facebook, Twitter, and chat rooms, the product could be improved if it scanned these same sites for dangerous links and scams.
Since Avira offers free antivirus downloads for a variety of operating systems—a major draw to the company website—the company does not offer customer service access for those with free versions. Currently, only those with paid subscriptions have access to technical phone support.
Price (*subject to change)
- Antivirus Suite $44.99 (1 user’s devices, 1 year)
- Internet Security Suite $66.99 (1 user’s devices, 1 year)
- Family Protection Suite $66.99 (1 user’s devices, 1 year)
- Ultimate Protection Suite $133.99 (1 user’s devices, 1 year; enhanced mobile protection)
- PC Optimization tool $29.99
- Mobile protection free
Free trial offer
Avira’s antivirus products are downloadable for a 30-day free trial.
Avira’s free Android mobile protection app landed a perfect score in AV-Test’s January 2014 mobile security test. The app interface can manage up to 5 Android devices. Features include:
- Frequent virus/malware detection updates
- Block calls and texts from chosen numbers
- On-demand file and app scanner
- Remotely locate, lock, and remotely wipe files if device is lost or stolen
- Real-Time Protection – Protects against viruses, worms, Trojans, and rootkits; intercepts malicious websites before they load
- Cloud Computing – Cloud protection keeps track of malicious files on the web, all over the world
- Windows Firewall – Blocks hackers from accessing your network and private information
- Email Protection – Protects your inbox from unwanted mail, including spam and scams
- Anti-Spyware and Anti-phishing – Blocks adware, online snoops, and scammers
- Browser Tracking Blocker – Prevents others from recording your browsing sessions
- Website Safety Advisor – Gives safety ratings for search engine results
- Parental Controls – Determine browsing settings, monitor social network connections and get alerts when adult themes appear on your child’s network
Avira’s products have yielded a mix of promising and disappointing results in independent IT testing. In early 2013, AV-Test tested Avira’s Internet Security package. The product protected against real-world malware attacks, but not as effectively as the industry average. Avira also had usability problems—it gave several false warning signals while installing and running legitimate software. September 2013’s AV-Comparative test, on the other hand, gave Avira an advanced rating for file detection. In fact, Avira was at the very top of the list of companies tested, tying for first place with G DATA and F-Secure.
Tune-up & Speed
Avira’s Internet Security and Ultimate Protection suites include a PC tune-up feature that increases performance speed by freeing up disk space and encrypting data. Avira recently launched a free PC cleaner scan tool that removes viruses, Trojans, spyware, and malware and can be used as a supplement to any other antivirus software. Avira also sells a premium system optimization tool that safely and thoroughly removes unused programs an files, optimizing Windows’ run time and performance.
Time in Business
Avira, founded in 1986, has been in business for over 28 years.
Avira’s headquarters is in Tettnang, Germany, and has a U.S. office in Burlingame, CA.
Customers with paid or trial Avira licenses have access to exclusive telephone and email support. Those with the free versions have access to the online discussion forum and knowledge base archive.
PC System Requirements
- Windows 8 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows XP SP3 (32-bit)
- Windows XP SP2 (64-bit)
- 1 GHz minimum Pentium processor or later
- 1024 MB RAM (Windows 7)
- 512 MB RAM (Windows XP)
- 150 MB available hard disk space
Mac System Requirements
- Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)
- 200 MB free disk space
- CPU: 64-bit Intel Core 2 Duo
- 2 GB RAM
Mobile systems supported
- Android 2.2
- Android 2.3.7
- Android 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3
- iOS 6.0 or later
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch