AVG Logo

AVG

5.5

LAST UPDATED: June 23rd, 2021

AVG, formerly known as Grisoft, was founded in 1991 in the Czech Republic. The company provides computer security products, focusing on software development, threat prevention and detection, risk analysis, and research and development. AVG has received a number of independent IT certifications and awards from Virus Bulletin, ICSA, and West Coast Labs, among several others.

The Good

• Free Solutions for Everyone
  • Advanced Solutions
  • AVG Ultimate
  • AVG Antivirus Business Edition
  • 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee

Free Solutions for Everyone

AVG aims to help internet users solve three problems: protection from viruses and hackers, keeping online activity completely private, and free up space and speed up devices. The company offers free solutions for everyone to help mitigate these problems. These include the following:

• AVG Antivirus FREE — Internet users receive free essential protection that stops viruses, malware, and spyware, blocks unsafe links, downloads, and email attachments, scan for PC performance, and get real-time security updates.
  • AVG Secure Browser — For essential online privacy, AVG’s free secure browser gives internet users complete control of how websites track them on the web. The browser includes a private browsing mode, automatically blocks ads, has a seamless integration with AVG antivirus, forces HTTPS encryption, protects against tracking scripts, and helps mask the browser’s fingerprint.
  • AVG Tuneup — While AVG does not have a completely free tuneup feature, it offers its tuneup for a free 30-day trial with no credit card required. During this trial, users can try all features that remove junk to free up space, fix issues before they become problems, and speed up PC performance.

Advanced Solutions

For users requiring additional features beyond those included in the free solutions, AVG offers advanced solutions for an annual price that varies based on the number of devices included.

• AVG Internet Security — In addition to the features from AVG Antivirus FREE, subscribers get AVG’s best-in-class protection that includes, but is not limited to, six layers of protection combined with the world’s largest threat-detection network, webcam and ransomware protection to secure personal life and files, and blocks against scams, spam, and fake copycat sites so users don’t mistakenly give passwords or financial data to cybercriminals.
  • AVG Secure VPN — AVG offers its own secure VPN to keep internet users online activity completely private. Users benefit from secure Wi-Fi anywhere they go, access to content from all over the world, military grade encryption, select networks to always connect or not connect to the VPN, and access on up to five devices simultaneously.
  • AVG Tuneup — To keep devices running smoothly and efficiently, AVG Tuneup offers features that find and remove hidden clutter, remove unnecessary duplicates, and streamline photo libraries on up to 10 devices.

AVG Ultimate

For internet users that need award winning protection, performance, and privacy, AVG offers its AVG Ultimate package. AVG Ultimate combines AVG’s three advanced solutions — internet security, tune up, and the secure VPN — in one affordable annual subscription. The package provides total protection, performance, security, and privacy for up to 10 devices.

AVG Antivirus Business Edition

The AVG Antivirus Business Edition offers its top-rated antivirus to protect businesses through its enhanced firewall that helps stop spam, viruses, malware, and hackers to protect data, files, photos, passwords, etc. Web and email protection is also provided by blocking dangerous email attachments, suspicious link warnings, and downloaded file scanning before it reaches the computer or network. The antivirus also includes cloud-based antivirus with real-time outbreak detection and proactive artificial intelligence detection. The AVG Antivirus Business Edition provides protection for one device. Additional devices will also be required to purchase the product.

30-Day Money-Back Guarantee

For products that do not include a 30-day free trial, AVG offers a 30-day money-back guarantee to ensure that users are satisfied with its products.

The Bad

Limited Mobile Apps for Apple Users

While AVG does offer antivirus protection for most popular devices, these options are limited for Apple users. AVG offers mobile apps for iPhones and iPads, but the apps are not as robust and do not have the full protection that Android users get with the Antivirus for mobile.

The Bottom Line

AVG offers products for internet users looking to solve three problems: protection from viruses and hackers, complete privacy and security, and free up space and speed up devices. Users can start by using AVG’s free solutions, and upgrade to its top-rated products or its Ultimate package for further protection. The prices are affordable and often include up to 10 devices, depending on the selected product. While AVG excels in both its PC and Mac products, the antivirus mobile protection for iPhone users is not as robust as Android users.

4.1

Dave Spokane, WA

Hard to believe such a great product is free. I was afraid of trusting a free product, but my computer guy recommended it so it's all I use at home now. And it's done the job as I've never had issues with the things AVG is designed to prevent.

Mike Walden Nicholasville, KY

I've got the free version of AVG. Kim recommended it back then although now she is pushing Kaspersky. It has been great, it updates regularly and automatically. There are options to pay for upgrades, but I've never needed it. I worked at IBM for 10 years and have had lots of experience with this stuff. I've had Norton and McAffee at different times, but I'm happiest with AVG.

Eban Beltran Arlington, TX

I use AVG now and am very happy with their service. It was very easy to install and use the free features. Will consider upgrading if the other features prove to be great value.

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I have been using AVG for at least the last 6 years for my anti-virus and system cleaner. I like that AVG does not have a spammy feel like a lot of anti-viruses that are around. It is very easy to use, and help clean up any system. My computer always seems to run so much smoother after a run through with AVG.

Clara Fox Pueblo, CO

We have been using AVG for so many years...maybe 13 or so...maybe more. .We tried Norton and what a terrible pain and expensive. Getting rid of it was like getting rid of a virus LOL Seriously, I've always been poor so I use the FREE AVG but it has NOT failed us. Great protection! Thank you!

scotty Atlanta, GA

I could not live without AVG... I thought i could before i found them,, or should i say,, before AVG was shared with me... AVG has saved my butt countless times,,, Places i go and should'nt ,, but AVG was always there to slap my hand,,, THANKYOU AVG

Patty Booth Staunton, VA

I have been using AVG for several years and would not use anything else. If I start to open something that has been sent to me (and I only open things from people I trust) and it has a virus or something questionable, AVG stops it and gives me a warning. I feel safe with AVG on my computer.

Anita pea Slidell, LA

Avg antivirus was a good choice to protect my electronics from the virsus and malware I could have gotten. Their pricing was good for what they did and their customer service was awesome for help

Jess Root Gilbert, AZ

I have never used the full subscription, but the free version does the job. I have used it for years without issues on my computer. It has kept my computer free of viruses, which is exactly what I want.

vicky Van Alstyne, TX

we have had AVG free for almost 3 years and rarely does anything get by it... we are very happy with just the basic product because we are just casual users but the paid protection is supposed to be one of the best. we are satisfied customers.

Bonnie Dillabough Pasco, WA

I have been using AVG since around 2001 and it has never let me down. It is not as bossy as McCaffee or Norton and it is priced right. Easy to use and offers a number of addon options that are also nice to have.

Jurusha Lawson Princeton, WV

I like AVG but when I had to get a new computer it came with Kaspersky and I will go back to AVG when this contract is up..I never got a virus when I had AVG. Hope you rates will be low then too.

Matt Hanzel Saratoga Springs, UT

I use the free version of AVG for my home PC protection. It seems to be robust enough for everything I need it to be at home. Updates are easy and I find several of the additional free tools useful as well

Steve Winter Garden, FL

I have used AVG Free for years and years. With it and a little common sense, I have been virtually virus free the entire time. Always recommend it over all other choices!

Dallas Price Richfield, UT

Honestly, I love AVG ... and have loved it for years. I still install the standard version on clients computers that don't have antivirus software, or terrible antivirus software.However, once you became so intrusive as to delete my list of browser tabs that I open after a simple update ... and a few other things ... I'll just be without coverage... and I'm fine with that... You're still my favorite antivirus to promote, and I'll love you forever but, I simply can't install you anymore (on my own computer).

Diane Ake Batesville, AR

I wouldn't have any other antivirus. Tried - they failed. Have been with AVG for many years and it catches what Norton doesn't on my sister's computer.

Anne Marie Milne Layton, UT

Very impressed with the protection that the antivirus gave me. The price was affordable. When I called to talk to people on the helpline they were very helpful. I would recommend them to friends and family.

Morgan Huff Phoenix, AZ

I have used AVG for several years instead of Norton. It’s free version satisfies all basic antivirus needs without having to purchase the premium.

Ernie Earth Miami, FL

I started out with the FREE version. When I made extra money I began to by the FULL version. They have protected my for over 10 years.

sam Alamo, TX

purchased avg tune up dec 15 2014. was charged on my account never worked. was told they help avg customers as avg was to busy to handle all there accounts. never got product to work an have many problems sence. paid 33.99 save your money a rip off.

Raymond Aikens

Was avid fan of AVG, but only into my 2nd year of three year subscription when computer became severely compromised. It took days for me to clean up. Switched to Kaspersky and experience has been different as night and day. Feeling safe again, not even missing the unexpired portion of my subscription.

Mikey Yakima, WA

After using numerous other antivirus software over the years, AVG is the ONLY one I've never had problems with during the last 3-4 yrs. Works excellent with no issues.

Cody Linden Lehi, UT

I use the free app to protect my phone and it works well while giving my helpful suggestions on ways to improve my phones security and efficiency as well.

Katlyn Hockman Houston, TX

I have avg on my current laptop and it has kept my computer virus free but it does have a good deal of pop ups at inconvenient times.

Nicholas Genes Eagle Mountain, UT

AVG was a subscription service I didn’t not like. It never stopped any of my computers from becoming over ran with viruses and never kept my computer running fast.

Jack Dean Norcross, GA

Great service. protected my laptop and was easy to use for a computer novice. Very happy with the service

Seth Managua, MN

I use there basic services and they have been very good to work with. Didn’t take long to install either

Lawrence Foster Scottsdale, AZ

Every time I try to use AVG its a hassle. they put their icon on your screen and each time you try to search any other engine it always gets in the way, slows down your computer and just puts a bad taste in your mouth. Wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Pamela Gregerson Hoppes Mount Pleasant, UT

I purchased a full protection and six months later received a message my free AVG is to expire. I called gave my invoice number and was told they would turn it on if I paid in addition to the purchase price another one hundred ninety ($199.00) nine dollars. I believe them to be criminals !

karen dettman De Forest, WI

I am completely happy with AVG security, but I purchased AVG tune-up and it wasn't activated and now I haven't been able to get the help I need to install it. Very frustrating.

Mel Murfreesboro, TN

This is the BEST anti-virus program I have ever used. It keeps me safe from all the bad things out there.

Alberto Capone

My HP laptop went down in flames, never to be used to this day. Got a bug and crashed and AVG was installed. The program is still on the computer and not on this desktop. Don't know what to do with it. Makes a great paper weight! Al

Kirk Johnson Darby, PA

I have the software for about 2 or three years and this latest version is giving me problems . It scans and when I need to contain the virus ( usually get about 20 to 30) each time and it wont let me I had this problem before and it I guess fixed itself and now it is doing it again for awhile. What do I do I am getting fed up with this product

otis90 Preston, ID

I use AVG anti-virus on all my personal computers. I have found that it has helped reduce the malware and corrupt files.

Dave_ Layton, UT

We use AVG on our personal computers. Great option for a free version or pay a little and get a more enhanced protection. Good software.

Jason Spokane, WA

Seems to keep viruses off of my computer. It always works and I have never had problems with it.

Tj Black South Jordan, UT

AVG anti virus is the only anti virus that doesn't slow my computer down. It works wonders.

Ron Brubaker Round Rock, TX

Used them for 3 years never had any problems , when I had a technical problem their techs fixed in a matter of minutes

Lonnie Pinkston Claymont, DE

All I Can Say About AVG!! Is That I Simply Just Love It! Great Protection From Threats

Robert Pruett Denton, TX

excellent got a little pushy with the pc tune free trial use but avg feer anti virus is still the best deal on the net

Jane Horton-Leasman Sahuarita, AZ

AVG is excellent, and has been very easy to use. Thank you.

kevin gluck Babylon, NY

its just outstanding keeps me very safe and my computers very safe and clean.

Steve Knight Salt Lake City, UT

I use the free version, but there are a lot of pop-up ads for upgrades that can be anmnoying.

Jon Posey Riverton, UT

AVG has been a solid antivirus, I have used it for a long time. I wouldn't say it is the best but it gets the job done.

Dre35 West Valley City, UT

love avg, simple user interface, that provides the security needed for a simple minded customer!

Ken Francis Provo, UT

This service is decent. I have used it on most of my devices and it has done its job.

CHESTER BOROWSKI Hollywood, FL

ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS.

Paul Pelosi Mine Hill, NJ

Seems to perform excellently and quickly. Very proactive!

mark cary Okeechobee, FL

I have been using avg fo about 18 yrs now great product

Randy Mount Airy, NC

I love it and wouldn't use anything else.