AVG

7.2

AVG, formerly known as Grisoft, was founded in 1991 in the Czech Republic. The company provides computer security products, focusing on software development, threat prevention and detection, risk analysis, and research and development. AVG has received a number of independent IT certifications and awards from Virus Bulletin, ICSA, and West Coast Labs, among several others.

The Good

• Complete antivirus coverage
  • Wide variety of devices covered
  • Community protection network

AVG's Premium package packs the punch. It offers complete antivirus coverage for a PC, tablet, and smartphone at an affordable price. AVG also has several free mobile downloads, such as the basic mobile protection package, memory clean up tool, tune-up app, social media privacy fix, and even an image-editing tool.

AVG effectively blocks malware, as demonstrated in several independent IT tests. The antivirus technology that AVG uses involves multiple detection layers, which provides excellent PC protection. AVG scans for files matching known virus signatures, variants of the recognized viruses, software behavior that is characteristically malicious and hostile file behavior. AVG recently improved their method of sending virus signature updates to users. Daily file updates are small, so they don't take as long, and it is no longer necessary to restart your computer after the update.

AVG's use of a community protection network through cloud technology is a newer feature. All customers benefit from this cloud service that keeps track of prevalent computer files, a database that users can opt into contributing to.

The Bad

• Limited for Apple users
  • Parental controls

While AVG does offer some kind of antivirus protection for most popular devices, these options are limited for Apple users. AVG has a basic free antivirus download for Macs, but not a premium protection product. They offer a few free downloadable apps for iPhones, but not the full protection that Android users get with the Antivirus Pro for Mobile. Also, the parental controls are not included with AVG's standard antivirus products, but need to be purchased separately in a "family safety" package. Depending on your security preferences and needs, this could be a positive or a negative.

The Bottom Line

There is not much to complain about AVG. They offer excellent antivirus protection at an affordable price.

4.1

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I have been using AVG for at least the last 6 years for my anti-virus and system cleaner. I like that AVG does not have a spammy feel like a lot of anti-viruses that are around. It is very easy to use, and help clean up any system. My computer always seems to run so much smoother after a run through with AVG.

August 15th, 2016 Nicholasville, KY

I've got the free version of AVG. Kim recommended it back then although now she is pushing Kaspersky. It has been great, it updates regularly and automatically. There are options to pay for upgrades, but I've never needed it. I worked at IBM for 10 years and have had lots of experience with this stuff. I've had Norton and McAffee at different times, but I'm happiest with AVG.

May 3rd, 2015 Miami, FL

I started out with the FREE version. When I made extra money I began to by the FULL version. They have protected my for over 10 years.

April 29th, 2015 Pueblo, CO

We have been using AVG for so many years...maybe 13 or so...maybe more. .We tried Norton and what a terrible pain and expensive. Getting rid of it was like getting rid of a virus LOL Seriously, I've always been poor so I use the FREE AVG but it has NOT failed us. Great protection! Thank you!

April 27th, 2015 Mount Pleasant, UT

I purchased a full protection and six months later received a message my free AVG is to expire. I called gave my invoice number and was told they would turn it on if I paid in addition to the purchase price another one hundred ninety ($199.00) nine dollars. I believe them to be criminals !

April 22nd, 2015 Round Rock, TX

Used them for 3 years never had any problems , when I had a technical problem their techs fixed in a matter of minutes

April 20th, 2015 Alamo, TX

purchased avg tune up dec 15 2014. was charged on my account never worked. was told they help avg customers as avg was to busy to handle all there accounts. never got product to work an have many problems sence. paid 33.99 save your money a rip off.

April 20th, 2015 Hollywood, FL

ABSOLUTELY MARVELOUS.

April 19th, 2015

Was avid fan of AVG, but only into my 2nd year of three year subscription when computer became severely compromised. It took days for me to clean up. Switched to Kaspersky and experience has been different as night and day. Feeling safe again, not even missing the unexpired portion of my subscription.

April 18th, 2015 Claymont, DE

All I Can Say About AVG!! Is That I Simply Just Love It! Great Protection From Threats

April 18th, 2015 Atlanta, GA

I could not live without AVG... I thought i could before i found them,, or should i say,, before AVG was shared with me... AVG has saved my butt countless times,,, Places i go and should'nt ,, but AVG was always there to slap my hand,,, THANKYOU AVG

April 17th, 2015 Mine Hill, NJ

Seems to perform excellently and quickly. Very proactive!

April 16th, 2015 De Forest, WI

I am completely happy with AVG security, but I purchased AVG tune-up and it wasn't activated and now I haven't been able to get the help I need to install it. Very frustrating.

April 16th, 2015 Yakima, WA

After using numerous other antivirus software over the years, AVG is the ONLY one I've never had problems with during the last 3-4 yrs. Works excellent with no issues.

April 16th, 2015 Winter Garden, FL

I have used AVG Free for years and years. With it and a little common sense, I have been virtually virus free the entire time. Always recommend it over all other choices!

April 15th, 2015 Van Alstyne, TX

we have had AVG free for almost 3 years and rarely does anything get by it... we are very happy with just the basic product because we are just casual users but the paid protection is supposed to be one of the best. we are satisfied customers.

April 15th, 2015 Murfreesboro, TN

This is the BEST anti-virus program I have ever used. It keeps me safe from all the bad things out there.

April 15th, 2015 Pasco, WA

I have been using AVG since around 2001 and it has never let me down. It is not as bossy as McCaffee or Norton and it is priced right. Easy to use and offers a number of addon options that are also nice to have.

April 14th, 2015 Sahuarita, AZ

AVG is excellent, and has been very easy to use. Thank you.

April 13th, 2015 Okeechobee, FL

I have been using avg fo about 18 yrs now great product

April 12th, 2015 Preston, WA

Best antivirus I have ever had.

April 11th, 2015 Richfield, UT

Honestly, I love AVG ... and have loved it for years. I still install the standard version on clients computers that don't have antivirus software, or terrible antivirus software.However, once you became so intrusive as to delete my list of browser tabs that I open after a simple update ... and a few other things ... I'll just be without coverage... and I'm fine with that... You're still my favorite antivirus to promote, and I'll love you forever but, I simply can't install you anymore (on my own computer).

April 11th, 2015 Columbus, NE

AVG is well worth what it costs per year.

April 10th, 2015 Staunton, VA

I have been using AVG for several years and would not use anything else. If I start to open something that has been sent to me (and I only open things from people I trust) and it has a virus or something questionable, AVG stops it and gives me a warning. I feel safe with AVG on my computer.

April 9th, 2015 Blytheville, AR

have a free trial now, seems to be doing its job

April 7th, 2015 Mount Airy, NC

I love it and wouldn't use anything else.

April 7th, 2015 Batesville, AR

I wouldn't have any other antivirus. Tried - they failed. Have been with AVG for many years and it catches what Norton doesn't on my sister's computer.

April 6th, 2015

My HP laptop went down in flames, never to be used to this day. Got a bug and crashed and AVG was installed. The program is still on the computer and not on this desktop. Don't know what to do with it. Makes a great paper weight! Al

April 4th, 2015 Princeton, WV

I like AVG but when I had to get a new computer it came with Kaspersky and I will go back to AVG when this contract is up..I never got a virus when I had AVG. Hope you rates will be low then too.

April 2nd, 2015 Denton, TX

excellent got a little pushy with the pc tune free trial use but avg feer anti virus is still the best deal on the net

April 2nd, 2015 Winter Garden, FL

Works very well.

April 2nd, 2015 Babylon, NY

its just outstanding keeps me very safe and my computers very safe and clean.

April 2nd, 2015 Marshville, NC

the only software ive used since owning a computer.

March 31st, 2015 Darby, PA

I have the software for about 2 or three years and this latest version is giving me problems . It scans and when I need to contain the virus ( usually get about 20 to 30) each time and it wont let me I had this problem before and it I guess fixed itself and now it is doing it again for awhile. What do I do I am getting fed up with this product

March 31st, 2015 Las Vegas, NV

product is working perfectly i love it

March 31st, 2015 La Mesa, CA

It beats everything,hands down.I wouldn't be without it.

March 27th, 2015 Ukiah, CA