- Free antivirus
- Great features
Avast! offers free antivirus and anti-spyware protection for PC and for Mac. Coverage with a paid subscription includes a slew of additional security features. One feature to pay attention to is Avast!’s SafeZone protection for secured payments and banking. Though it’s not a typical focus of antivirus protection, improved financial security is a fast-growing need online. SafeZone allows users to control settings for specific websites dealing with financial transactions—such as online banking accounts, booking hotels and flights, online shopping, or any other type of money transfer—to launch in special windows that keep your financial information private.
Another great feature is the value Avast! places on crowdsourcing. The company encourages customers to submit information about specific malware they encounter to Avast!’s ever-expanding database of threats. This supplements the live updates maintained by antivirus professionals in Avast!’s labs.
- No social media protection
- Can become pricey
Though Avast! offers extensive virus, malware, spam, and phishing protection, as well as particular attention to financial accounts, the company’s antivirus products don’t offer any protection specific to social media accounts. They don’t monitor social media activity to alert you to suspicious activity that might suggest your accounts are being compromised. Additionally, Avast!’s subscriptions may seem relatively inexpensive, but the prices we’ve listed are only for securing one device. If you are looking to secure multiple computers, be sure to compare the prices for securing multiple devices, which can get pretty steep.
Price (*subject to change)
Avast! offers a free basic computer antivirus as well as upgraded versions for the following prices:
- Pro Antivirus: $34.99/year
- Internet Security: $39.99/year
- Premier: $49.99/year
The basic mobile security smartphone app is free, and the premium version costs $9.99.
Free trial offer
All Avast!’s antivirus products are available for a free 30-day trial.
Avast! offers a free mobile app for Android smartphones through Google Play with the following features:
- Antivirus protects device from malware and malicious apps
- Privacy report for apps identifies potential privacy risks
- Blocks calls or texts from specified numbers
- Tracks lost or stolen device through account web portal
- Web browsing protection
- Can add a firewall to a rooted phone to block out hackers
- Track network data and Wi-Fi usage to help you stay within your data limits
The premium version has these additional features:
- Geofencing allows you to set a perimeter that signals your device to lock, siren, or send its location to your portal
- App lock prevents unauthorized access. After three unsuccessful password attempts, your phone will take a picture of the person attempting to unlock your device!
- App advertisement detector for avoiding ads as you browse and use different apps
- Antivirus, Antispyware, & Antimalware – Includes real-time updates about new viruses to your PC’s virus database daily
- Automatic software updates – Prevents virus and malware threats from exploiting security holes in outdated versions of software such as browsers, email clients, and office applications.
- AccessAnywhere – Allows you to view your desktop and access your files from any computer that has Avast! installed, so you can be aware of what is going on when you’re away.
- Data Shredder – Gets rid of your sensitive data so that deleted files on your hard drive cannot be recovered by others.
- Firewall – Blocks hackers from stealing sensitive personal data from your PC.
- Anti-spam and Anti-phishing – Filters out spam and scams from your email account.
- Double Check Suspicious Files – Allows you to run suspicious files in avast!’s Sandbox, a virtual environment where you can run even heavily infected files safely.
- Financial Protection – Protect your credit card and online banking data from being hacked.
- Crowd Protection – Called CommunityIQ, Avast! maintains an information resource and early warning system consisting of malware data sources anonymously contributed by customers.
Avast!’s performance scores have greatly improved over the last few years, instilling confidence in consumers and signaling a bright future for this company’s products. AV-Test’s real world testing for web and email threats revealed that Avast! offers above average protection in those areas. Avast! also earned a perfect usability score in the most recent (October 2013) test measuring false detections of legitimate software. AV-Comparatives has repeatedly awarded Avast! its highest rating—advanced plus—for real world protection.
Tune-up & Speed
Avast!’s antivirus products do not have a tune-up feature included, but Avast! is currently working on updating its separate-subscription scan tool that can be used to free your PC of clutter to get it back up to speed. This tool, which is called the avast! GrimeFighter, detects hardware components in danger of failure and removes trialware, pop-ups, bloated toolbars, and junk files that hinder your computer’s performance. It will be available for download again once the Windows 8 version is updated.
Time in Business
Avast! was established as ALWIL Software cooperative in 1988 in the Czech Republic (26+ years in business).
Avast!’s headquarters is in Prague, Czech Republic, with an office in Redwood City, CA.
Avast! offers free 24/7 phone support for installation, configuration, and trouble-shooting.
Operating systems supported:
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, XP (both 32-bit and 64-bit)
- Android 2.1 or higher (for mobile protection)
- MAC OS X: Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks (for Mac antivirus)
- Intel Pentium 3 Processor or higher
- 128 MB RAM
- 650 MB free hard-drive space