Steps to Manage a Secure Online Backup
Cyber storage does not always = secure backup. Users of cloud storage have many potential tools at hand to beef up security. And just because cloud services have some loopholes doesn't mean you should just throw in the towel, as the saying goes, and figure "What's the point?". Here are some ways to beef up cloud storage security and manage your online backup.
- Take inventory of what's stored in your cloud account. Evaluate how important each data item is. If the cloud service can access your data, you may want to make some adjustments, since some of your data might not be compatible with the service's terms.
- Consider encrypting your most sensitive data if you don't want to remove it from the cloud and then back it up locally.
- Don't put all your data in one basket, either. Suppose all your data is stored in one cloud service, and that service gets hacked or something else happens and you lose your data-or it's in the hands of thieves. If you use more than one cloud service, then at least if one gets hacked, you're not totally screwed. Think of this as being like having your precious jewels locked in several small safes throughout your house, rather than in one giant safe. What are the odds that an intruder will find all the safes and get into all of them?
- If your cloud account has any devices, services or applications linked, very carefully inspect and modify their settings to optimize security. Discard useless, old, unused connections so they don't become portals to your data.
- Use two-factor authentication on every cloud password when available. If the service doesn't offer two-factor, consider dumping it.
- Make your answers to security questions crazy-nutty, but also memorable.
- Assess your cloud passwords. They should be very different from each other. If you can't handle memorizing a bunch of long, convoluted passwords (which are the best kind), use a password manager.
Robert Siciliano is an identity theft expert to bestcompany.com discussing identity theft prevention. For Roberts FREE ebook text- SECURE [email protected] -to 411247. Disclosures.
Top of Page keyboard_arrow_right