The High Performance Router For A Many-Device Home
You will love the Tri-Band WiFi technology; it can connect all of your devices at the same time. The only router capable of this is the Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (a.k.a. Netgear R8000).
This router provides three connections and has six wing-like antennas. Another feature is the ReadyShare USB. The user who’d really be interested in the Netgear R8000 is the one who has all sorts of electronics like a complete entertainment system, desktop PCs, a few laptops, game consoles, smartphones, etc.
But even if you have just five devices in your house, you may still wish to consider this high performance router to smooth out all of your connections and eliminate any hiccups. All of the gadgets can be connected, something that regular routers can’t do.
This high performing router has Broadcom’s Xstream platform, which can prioritize incoming traffic and prevents slow traffic from impeding fast traffic.
Some Key Specifications
- Selects the fastest Internet connection for every device
- Memory: 128 MB Flash and 256 MB RAM
- WiFi Protected Access (WPA/WPA2—PSK)
- WiFi Technology: 802.11ac Tri-Band Gigabit
- WiFi Performance: AC3200 (600 + 1300 + 1300 Mbps)
- The WiFi range works for very large households.
- WiFi Band: Simultaneous Tri-Band WiFi – Tx/Rx 3×3 (2.4GHz) + 3×3 (5GHz) + 3×3 (5GHz)
- Ethernet Ports: Five (5) 10/100/1000 (1 WAN and 4 LAN) Gigabit ethernet ports
- VPN support for secure remote access
- Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention
- Double firewall protection (SPI and NAT)
- System requirements: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, Vista, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX or Linux
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Safari 1.4, Firefox 2.0 or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
Ready to set up the Netgear R8000?
- Follow the instructions in the manual.
- The instructions are not complicated.
- After setting it up, go to routerlogin.net. The default password is “password” and the default username is “admin.” The setup wizard will get it installed for Internet access.
- Once your connection is established, you can figure out what you’d like in your network.
- The advanced menu will allow you to configure more features. Play around with the advanced menu to see what you might like.
- Use the latest firmware.
- Go to netgear.com/home/discover/apps/genie.aspx to download the Netgear Genie, an application that will monitor and control your new router and network. The Genie offers additional features like parental controls.
The manufacturer’s suggested retail price is $299, and that comes with a limited one-year warranty. But look around; you may find a sale price.
The Tri-Band feature really sets the Netgear R8000 apart from other routers. The one challenge with this router is its horizontal, rather than vertical, expansion. But that’s really just a minor little issue when you consider all that this router can do, like take on multiple connections simultaneously—without any glitches. Other outstanding features:
- Will enable multiple use of electronics in the household without anyone experiencing compromised loading times or any other sluggishness; no congestion. So while one person watches YouTube, another downloads files and a third watches a show while also using a smartphone, nobody’s online experiences will be hampered.
- Is ideal for a household with a lot of devices.